What is the best Assassin

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Re: What is the best Assassin

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Why?
A D-Bee using gadgets, weapons etc. with natural abilities that assist in killing would obviously be better. Or a Mage or Psychic.

I think the best Assassin would be a Kildred Mage specializing in Demon Magic. They can kill safely from thousands of miles away via Death by 1000 Cuts so they can kill their targets with absolute ease and reliably.
The only way a mage with that spell would be caught is if they were traced via the client or some kind of paper trail - a Kildred has the psionic abilities to make sure that doesn't happen and the MA (And more Psionics) to make a fairly convincing defense if someone still managed to track them down.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

What is Death by 1000 Cuts and where is it described?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Whomever killed the Dominator homeworld. A black hole projector is not likely to miss or fail. Otherwise, the obvious answer is Mulka!
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Giant2005
Knight

flatline wrote:What is Death by 1000 Cuts and where is it described?

--flatline

Dimensional Outbreak page 190.
It is a level 14 Demon Magic Spell. You need a DNA sample of your target, a personal possession of the target or a photo of the target (If using a photo the target only takes 70% of the normal damage however). The mage cuts himself up to 1000 times (minimum of 500), he feels the pain of every cut but the magic keeps the cuts from killing him. When the spell is complete, if the target fails a save of 17 or higher, s/he is bombarded with 1 HP or 1 MD for every cut the mage inflicted upon himself. If the target fails his save, the caster is instantly healed and he knows if the victim survived or died.
If the victim makes the save, he instead loses 50% of his HP or MDC and the caster gets pretty screwed: he loses all but 1D6 HP or MDC (Not really a problem for a Kildred however which would recover in minutes) but more importantly he permanently loses 4 points of PB and ME, his SDC is lowered by 20% and he rolls for one random insanity.
Maybe that Kildred would be better off using his Psionics to make someone else cast the spell via scroll :D.
flatline
Knight

Giant2005 wrote:

--flatline

It is a level 14 Demon Magic Spell. You need a DNA sample of your target, a personal possession of the target or a photo of the target (If using a photo the target only takes 70% of the normal damage however). The mage cuts himself up to 1000 times (minimum of 500), he feels the pain of every cut but the magic keeps the cuts from killing him. When the spell is complete, if the target fails a save of 17 or higher, s/he is bombarded with 1 HP or 1 MD for every cut the mage inflicted upon himself. If the target fails his save, the caster is instantly healed and he knows if the victim survived or died.
If the victim makes the save, he instead loses 50% of his HP or MDC and the caster gets pretty screwed: he loses all but 1D6 HP or MDC (Not really a problem for a Kildred however which would recover in minutes) but more importantly he permanently loses 4 points of PB and ME, his SDC is lowered by 20% and he rolls for one random insanity.
Maybe that Kildred would be better off using his Psionics to make someone else cast the spell via scroll :D.

I think I'd put that spell in the same category as Fourth Dimension Transformation. Useful for special circumstances, but too risky to make a viable long term strategy unless, as you mentioned, you're getting others to cast it for you.

Edit: out of curiosity, what is the range and what happens if the target is out of range (or in another dimension)?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

A power armor piloting, Naruni equipped Cyberknight.

The Naruni Shoulder cannon is probably the most devestating sniper rifle in the game (though it should be one of several the Knight uses)
Naruni Stealth power armor gives +20% prowl, great sensor and optics enhancements and a boatload of extra attacks
from level 4 on up a cyber knight can become invisible to sensors.

Couple that with some isp masking psi powers and a few choices of sniper rifle (15mm sniper rifle, mdc crossbow, naruni shoulder cannon) and you have invisible death.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Giant2005
Knight

flatline wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:

--flatline

I think I'd put that spell in the same category as Fourth Dimension Transformation. Useful for special circumstances, but too risky to make a viable long term strategy unless, as you mentioned, you're getting others to cast it for you.

Edit: out of curiosity, what is the range and what happens if the target is out of range (or in another dimension)?

--flatline

1000 miles per level range and it doesn't say what happens if you try to cast it on someone out of range, I assume the spell just wouldn't work. There are rules for casting the spell on someone that is protected by magic by a magic circle or something, basically the spell doesn't hit them until they are no longer protected. The same thing could possibly occur if they are out of range - the spell could stay in limbo until they enter range and are hit.
flatline
Knight

Giant2005 wrote:
flatline wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:

--flatline

--flatline

1000 miles per level range and it doesn't say what happens if you try to cast it on someone out of range, I assume the spell just wouldn't work. There are rules for casting the spell on someone that is protected by magic by a magic circle or something, basically the spell doesn't hit them until they are no longer protected. The same thing could possibly occur if they are out of range - the spell could stay in limbo until they enter range and are hit.

I'll have that book soon. When I see the official description, I suspect that I'll house-rule it to be a curse where the damage is unhealable by the target, but is transferred from the caster to the target over some amount of time so that there's a chance that remove curse (or maybe negate magic? or some sort of intervention (divine?)) could be applied to save the target.

I don't know. I don't mind spells/powers that have dire, hard to fight effects, but I do like things to be a little more sportsmanlike than what you've described.

--flatline

Giant2005
Knight

flatline wrote:I'll have that book soon. When I see the official description, I suspect that I'll house-rule it to be a curse where the damage is unhealable by the target, but is transferred from the caster to the target over some amount of time so that there's a chance that remove curse (or maybe negate magic? or some sort of intervention (divine?)) could be applied to save the target.

I don't know. I don't mind spells/powers that have dire, hard to fight effects, but I do like things to be a little more sportsmanlike than what you've described.

--flatline

That sounds fair, although it isn't really necessary - it isn't a spell that is ever likely to come into play unless the GM himself is using it on the players.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Assassins are tools.
The best tool for the job depends on what the job is.
The best assassin for the job depends on what the job is.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Yea, going after someone in Psyscape vs going after someone in Chi-Town vs going after someone in Atlantis are all going to have their own requirements and the best in one would be less useful somewhere else.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Assassins are tools...

This line made me laugh. I took the other meaning.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Assassins are tools.

This is exactly correct. Context is everything when trying to decide what tool is the best.

--flatline

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:

This is exactly correct. Context is everything when trying to decide what tool is the best.

--flatline

Given the nature of the question (and what we often see as the intent of such question), then we can likely assume the context would be 'what assassin is the most flexible and capable of doing any sort of assassination no matter what it might be'. So what assassin can most readily take and complete any sort of job.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nightmask wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Given the nature of the question (and what we often see as the intent of such question), then we can likely assume the context would be 'what assassin is the most flexible and capable of doing any sort of assassination no matter what it might be'. So what assassin can most readily take and complete any sort of job.

In that case, I'd say that a Mind Melter of some kind would be the most versatile.

OR a super-powered character.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Crazy without the rods.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Creative thinking is the best assassin.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Gateway Knight (Madhaven) with Astral Projection as one of his psionic selections. Astral Projection allows him to scout and become familiar with a location without giving himself away. Then he just teleports in, blasts the target, and teleports back out. The whole sequence can be done in a single melee round.

(Though admittedly this isn't a very "White Knight" kind of thing to do.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Giant2005
Knight

Does the best Assassin even have to kill anyone? Does using Instill Memory to convince your client that he watched the target die qualify as a job well done?
It isn't your fault if the client sees the target walking around later after witnessing his death first hand - someone obviously resurrected him.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Oh, wait. Creative thinking is good, but there is no replacement for someone who is close, emotionally and temporally, to the target.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Giant2005
Knight

Little Snuzzles wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:Does the best Assassin even have to kill anyone? Does using Instill Memory to convince your client that he watched the target die qualify as a job well done?
It isn't your fault if the client sees the target walking around later after witnessing his death first hand - someone obviously resurrected him.

Tell you what: try that one on Splyncryth and if you come back with the exact same body you left with, I'll buy you a case of Psi-Cola. :D

I wouldn't try much of anything on Splynncryth - if he approached me to hire me or approached me for any reason, my energy would be spent on trying to be elsewhere.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I thought he was only an Anarchist. Just get on his good side, man. He'll have your back for life.

Giant2005
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:I thought he was only an Anarchist. Just get on his good side, man. He'll have your back for life.

The Sunaj have been trying that tactic for longer than my remaining life expectancy and on the chain of hierarchy, they are lower than the category "Other" :lol:.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Mack wrote:Gateway Knight (Madhaven) with Astral Projection as one of his psionic selections. Astral Projection allows him to scout and become familiar with a location without giving himself away. Then he just teleports in, blasts the target, and teleports back out. The whole sequence can be done in a single melee round.

(Though admittedly this isn't a very "White Knight" kind of thing to do.)

Or just be a MM with Astral Transference.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

sexykitty wrote:Mages and psionics can be sensed correct. Supernatural creatures can be sensed also correct. So in Rifts the advantage of being an assassin in Coalition Territory would fall to a normal human. Now with the ability to blend in and move undetected is very important, the only thing required would be tools of the trade.

In Coalition territory, psychics are allowed; mages are not.
A psychic would only need the proper cover, and he could get inside.

On the other hand, super powers are much harder to detect, and would be even easier to sneak inside.

everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

Agreed.
Although for me, a Psi-slayer is always the best one for the job. Whatever the job.
Giant2005
Knight

Using Rifter stuff here so it isn't entirely canon but a Transferred Intelligence (With Psionics) Nanobot Hive from Rifter 37 would do pretty well.
Alter Aura doesn't really have rules covering if a Robot was using it but manipulating one's "physical energy field to appear different" could have the potential to concealing a power source when used by a Robot. If that worked, that Nanobot Hive could hide as all kinds of common household appliances and such without much chance of detection.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Rolling Bear wrote:Auto G Ley Line Walker.

I like Techno Wizards and Temporal Raiders also as assassins.

Auto G of just about any sort really. How many people really interrogate their best friends when they come over for a beer and run them through advanced blood work tests to look for a gene sequence only a few even know to look for.

Baring trying to assassinate some real big crazy thing like a splugorth it is hard to do better than an auto G because they can so easily slip past the vast majority of defenses without tripping any alarms or even having to do anything super tricky. Hell most times the targets will let them in and wave them past any security because he "knows" they are his friend/mother/father/brother/sister/lover whatever.

Oh edit to mention it almost is better for them to NOT take any magic using OCC. Having your lover suddenly show up with high amounts of PPE could trip off many psychic/men of magic targets. It is way easier to explain why your PPE is low than it is to explain why you suddenly are a font of PPE.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

kaid wrote:

Auto G of just about any sort really. How many people really interrogate their best friends when they come over for a beer and run them through advanced blood work tests to look for a gene sequence only a few even know to look for.

C'mon... I can't be the only person.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

sexykitty wrote:I have never heard of an Auto G. Please enlighten me to what they do.

They are a sdc creature that can consume some dna from just about anything and impersonate it right down to all but the most detailed dna scans.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
kaid wrote:

Thank god, I thought I was the only one!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

boxee wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
kaid wrote:

Thank god, I thought I was the only one!

:ok:

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

You guys should become friends :D
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eclipse wrote:You guys should become friends :D

But only after very advanced DNA screening.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Floopers. Instant escape and nobody would EVER suspect such a bumbling buffoon of any wrong doing. ;)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Either a wife that doesn't play RPGs, or one that takes half of your books in the divorce settlement. :clown:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

RGG wrote:
The Beast wrote:Either a wife that doesn't play RPGs, or one that takes half of your books in the divorce settlement. :clown:

DOn't joke !
This has happened!

Yes, I know a few that have seen that happen. One had his entire anime collection taken by her even though he'd had it before they married.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Return to “Rifts®”