Major Power: Vibration, The untold possibilities

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Major Power: Vibration, The untold possibilities

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

So just because i was bored I random rolled a hero and got the Vibration power. Now other than the things listed in the book here are some things i was wondering if I could do with it.

1. Make things explode/shatter. Akin to how sustaining the right frequency note can cause glass to shatter. By vibrating at the right speed can i cause things to explode, building s to shake themselves apart (like Tesla's earthquake machine)?

2 Boil liquids. This works the same way as boiling/heating water in a blender works. By agitating the molecules you raise the temperature of the liquid causing it to boil.

2b Create steam..See the above

3. Start fires by rubbing/vibrating to flammable objects (sticks) together to produce friction-heat-a flame.

4 Sink watercraft. Vibrating the water would cause a decrease in surface tension reducing the buoyancy of the vessel. (Sometimes ships sink when trapped pockets of gas in the ocean floor break lose under them.. look it up)

5 Instantly disable enemies with a concussion. Grab their head and BRRRRR shake well until the brain is quite bruised swollen and they fall over.

6. make music. Sound is caused by vibrations traveling through the air. different frequency vibrations produce different sounds (think of the differing lengths of pipe in a wind chime or strings on...any thing with strings). Hero vibrates object A to produce sound X making music much like a glass armonica https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9BBMDWoNM

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... Mhr760UsNg

7. Cause avalanches (snow or rock) and land/mudslides. vibrate the ground/use shockwave power. everything lose comes tumbling down.

I'm sure there are other crazy and unthought of things that can be done. Any players or GM's want to weigh in on this?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Major Power: Vibration, The untold possibilities

Unread post by fbdaury »

Few Ideas of my own:

1. By creating countering vibrations in the windpipe of a target you could neutralize their voice and any powers/effects based on voice (like spell-casting).

2. By holding and studying a vibro weapon in use, the character might be able to replicate the effect with a normal weapon of their own. For Rifts MD vibro weapons, the character would need an MD material weapon.

3. Producing micro vibrations in the inner ear of others should be effective at completely neutralizing their sense of balance, with the same effect as the finger snap atemi power from Mystic China.

4. Tunneling through materials like a drill, not suggested in areas of tectonic instability (<RUMBLE> Oops! :) )
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

fbdaury wrote:Few Ideas of my own:

2. By holding and studying a vibro weapon in use, the character might be able to replicate the effect with a normal weapon of their own. For Rifts MD vibro weapons, the character would need an MD material weapon.

I had a very similar thought to this! Thank you for reminding me. i gave my PC WP Sword and had the thought of a sword with a serrated blade Instant power saw!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

most of these abilities are kinda covered in the power description. i feel the shock waves/bolts should also have an increased range under water. and by by vibrating the hand and arm they can increase punching damage by 1d6 which could/should be applied to a weapon being held in said hand.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

A lot can be done by interpreting the power different ways, but as a strict GM, I would make a character have to take other powers to do some of the stunts you suggest. If the power does not specifically list the ability, it becomes a stunt or something the character can do because of the nature of their powers. Vibration might be how the power is brought about, but it still has to be listed as a power or stunt to be used in specific ways.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

using skill slots to train to use the power in specific ways has always been a "house rule". example my character with energy expulsion electricity had to take the skill wp: charge e-clip to recharge e-clips without frying them with his electrical generation ability. remember skills are every bit as important as powers and equipment.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

There are others but they would be in a XXX variety.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ranger wrote:There are others but they would be in a XXX variety.

+45% to cham/impress role vs female npc's and 25 xp for a funny game concept. lol
:ok: :ok:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

say652 wrote:
Ranger wrote:There are others but they would be in a XXX variety.

+45% to cham/impress role vs female npc's and 25 xp for a funny game concept. lol
:ok: :ok:

I'm gonna ask that you not post this kind of stuff. it borders on breaking the rules which will get the forum locked or deleted.because of adult content

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

You could actually use the vibration power for a sort of grayscale printing option if the character also has the Art/drawing skill.

THe character will probably have very clean teeth, no need for an electric toothbrush.

Instant sander.

Instant massage applications for vibration massage (I'm a massage therapist, so I'm meaning in a clinical fashion, chill)

Makes scrubbing dishes a snap.

Instead of renting or buying a jackhammer, just get a piece of rebar for all your concrete and asphalt busting needs.

On a serious note, if the character learns to modulate their vibrations, faster or slower... at a faster pace, they may be able to vibrate their molecules between the spaces of other molecules, allowing them to pass through solid objects.

Another power stunt is using your vibration to create a static charge. May also use vibration to quickly grind materials down, or destabilize them on a molecular level. May also disperse powders and chemical irritants into the air quickly, creating smokescreens and the like, say out of a sandstone rock, or just sand in general.

This person should never be allowed to fetch a can of soda for someone else.

Do not touch the nitroglycerin, or even TNT.

It may be possible to run on, up, or even adhere to walls. By exhibiting forces on the walls, the person is constantly "accellerating" on a micro scale, and they also be able to increase or decrease their friction as needed.

It may be possible to produce light under water, or with water, by creating air bubbles through agitation, and then destroying/rupturing them which produces light. (This has been an unexplained phenomenon in science for years.)

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Tearstone wrote:On a serious note, if the character learns to modulate their vibrations, faster or slower... at a faster pace, they may be able to vibrate their molecules between the spaces of other molecules, allowing them to pass through solid objects.

Unless I'm mistaken that's already an ability present with the power.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Tearstone wrote:On a serious note, if the character learns to modulate their vibrations, faster or slower... at a faster pace, they may be able to vibrate their molecules between the spaces of other molecules, allowing them to pass through solid objects.

Unless I'm mistaken that's already an ability present with the power.

Daniel Stoker

You are indeed correct. My bad. I haven't studied the vibration power too closely, at least until looking it up now. Never realized how useful it could actually be.

Tearstone
Adventurer

On a side note, I think that Vibration could replicate the effects of Blur without any difficulty.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Yes, but you should have to do something like them losing an attack or something similar while it's up because they're spending time concentrating keeping it active.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i like this power quite a bit. it does so many different things already blasts,waves, intangibility, great combat bonuses why keep adding to a good power?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

just to see what the possibilities might be. to stretch the creative muscles in our minds.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i use this power often one of my all time favs. i checked out the exploding bubbles making light, educational. i try to build my hero with other powers that work with vibration,such as energy expusion-fire, bend light, adhesion. or for majors control static electricity, sonic power, multiple selves. this power is fine as is just choose other powers that compliment this IMO great ability.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”