Post Apocalypse Movie Marathon.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Post Apocalypse Movie Marathon.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Trying to totally immerse myself into a Rifts mindset, I've been watching all the post apocalypse films I can find. Mostly on netflix thusfar.

Here's what I watched thusfar:

Interzone - Starring Bruce 'Reanimator' Abbot, his pop riveted armored battle car, a psychic named Panasonic, a big muscle woman badguy and some of the cheesiest music ever laid down in a movie. Female lead could've been out acted by a dog with a mouth full of peanut butter and dubbed dialogue.

Land of Doom - Features a lot of motorcycles crudely adorned with sheet metal and scrap part battle shields. Starring a guy who reminds me of Bruce Campbell but with way less acting chops. Love the bard on a bicycle with puppy. Cyber armed end boss ending with a cliffhanger for part 2!!

20 Years After- For it's budget not bad. Has one of the guys from Blair Witch Project as it's star. Low budget fer sure but the acting saves it. No real cool/weird tech though.

Steel Dawn- Patrick Swayze!! He stands on his head and kicks ass. He is a roaming super warrior, but no happy ending for him. He must carry on. Amazingly Brion 'Blade Runner' James totally outacts Swayze who is very stiff. Baby got put in the corner this time.

Hardware-Subversive Techno-Horror featuring a bionic armed Dylan McDermott, Iggy Pop as the radio DJ, Lemmy as a toxic river cabby, pervo Porkins from Star Wars and a totally badass hunter killer robot. Great soundtrack. I will actually buy a DVD of this flick.

A Boy and His Dog- Another great post-poc flick. A very young Don Johnson and a mangy, super-intelligent telepathic dog. I liked the ending. Dog wins.

I will keep posting my viewings.

Feel totally free to send me your recommendations...even if their crappy. I'll watch anything.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
CyCo
Hero

Re: Post Apocalypse Movie Marathon.

Unread post by CyCo »

Obviously Mad Max and Mad Max II. Or as it is over there in USland, Mad Max and The Road Warrior.

Then for some more recent movies, The Road and The Book of Eli. Both great Post Apoc movies. The Book of Eli really evokes the feel of the Fallout computer games, but without the powered armour and the Deathclaws. In some scenes I almost expected bots/powered armoured troops/deathclaws/radscorpions to come around the corner.

One of my faves is a NewZealand film called Quiet Earth. In essence, a science experiment in a global electrical grid goes totally wrong. Had a good twist in it, and an ending that's thought provoking.

An oldie but a goody is On the Beach. In short, a crew of a US Nuke attack sub decide to head to Australia when it comes to an all out Nuclear War. Most of the Nukes hit the Northern Hemisphere, but it's only a matter of time for the fallout to get down to Oz. The original is from the 1950s and has I think Steve McQueen and maybe Gregory Peck? There was a remake in the mid 80's. I haven't seen this version, but I think Geoff Goldblum was in it. There was also a mini series, which I also haven't seen. I fully intend on adding the original version to my collection, not 100% sure about the remake or mini series.

Obviously 12 Monkeys rocks right up the list. Both a post apoc movie and a time travel movie, but both descriptions don't do justice.

If we mention 12 Monkeys, then we also have to mention Le Jette'. It's the film that heavily inspired 12 Monkeys. It's Paris after the Third World War. And like 12 Monkeys, they use Time Travel. It's also from the 50's from memory. Don't have a copy, but I will eventually.

The Omega Man. The original I am Legend movie. Again, not in my collection, but will be. I still like the recent Will Smith version, and there's also one with Vincent Price. None are in my collection, and eventually, all will be added.

There are a couple heavily sci fi post apoc movies coming out this year. After Earth (with Will Smith & son), and Oblivion (with Tom Cruise).

The above link also has another movie I don't think fits the post apoc setting, Pacific Rim, it's basically a Giant Robot vs Giant Aliens movie. Think Godzilla movie where we build a massive robot to fight it.

Defcon 4. Vaguely similar to On the Beach, a Nuclear Exchange happens. But instead of a Sub, it's a manned Satellite armed with nukes. 3 people on board, and when the command comes to fire the birds, they have a somewhat heated discussion. The end up not launching them. Then somehow the satellite gets pulled from orbit. What they do and what happens when the crach back on US soil drives the rest of the movie.

The Terminator franchise. Enough said.

Tank Girl. Comic turned into a budget flick. Totally weird movie, with (was it Ice-T?) as a mutant Kangaroo. Oh, and a 'blinged' out tank.

Resident Evil Franchise. Mostly the last two for the post apoc stuff.

Stalker. Not a movie based on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R computer game franchise, but I'm sure the game franchise is based on this. Never seen it, but I think the only way I'll be able to watch it would be to buy it, if I can. I would imagine it's all in Russian, as it's a Russian film based in Russia.

Oh, how can I forget. Found a new Post Apoc movie not long ago. New enough that it's on overnight rental here in Oz, think it was made 2011, released mid 2012. The Day. Small group of survivors trying just to do that. Get trapped in a house and attacked. It's way more than that, and I want a damned bloody equal. On my list, and it's near the top.

There are a few short movies out there on the Net. First that comes to mind is Ruin. Alludes to it being just a taste for more to come. Certainly looks great, no dialog but plenty of action. And a great visual of what happens to our cities after we're practically wiped off the face of the planet.

There are plenty more out there, though we certainly have made a good start to the list. ;]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The Road.

Book of Eli
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

A boy and his dog is a food film. The book is better though (I know everyone says that, but this one notably so).
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Just thought of a couple more. Leading towards the zombie apocalypse;

Zombieland. It's a great romp, loads of fun, and has an amazing intro sequence.

George A Romeo's Dead series.

The Walking Dead tv series.

28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later.

Then non zombie;

Planet of the Apes.

One Night Stand. Will probably need some explanation. An Aussie movie from mid 80's set in Sydney. It's about two young guys who pick up two young girls. Guys are obviously after some tail. Then they start hearing news broadcasts about a possible nuclear exchange in Europe. This rapidly escalates, and nukes start to fall on cities in Europe. People in Sydney are told to head to shelter (as if that would help them). They hide out in the Sydney Opera House for a while, before heading to the subway. Ends in a rather dark place. Not a Hollywood ending here.

Threads. Not a movie, but a British TV series, or maybe more correctly a mini series as it only went for 'one season'. Follows a family from before, during and after a nuclear exchange between Russia & the US which draws in the UK. Extends some 15 years after the nuclear exchange. I remember watching some of it when it came out in early 80's. I was about 12 at the time. Seriously scary stuff when you're that age. I remember it giving me chills, and probably nightmares. I can't remember watching the ending though. It's on YouTube, all of it. Nearly 2 hours long. But it's very, very grim.

When the Wind Blows. This is a bit different. Also not post apocalyptic, but apocalyptic. Also, it's animated, though I really wouldn't' say suitable for young children. It's set at the turning point, not after it. Set in England, around a elderly retired couple. Hostilities are about to break out, so the Husband does his duty to find out what to do in case it escalates. Which it does. It uses their confusion (being elderly) as comedy to offset or even highlight their predicament. Also on YouTube, goes for about 80 minutes. Also not a very happy ending.
Eureka!
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I know why I am up at 4:08am but why the hell are you up at 4:00am CyCo? :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I just saw a really good Post Apocalypse type movie on netflix streaming the other day it is called Hell. It is german language but has subtitles and was really well done and well shot.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Circuitry Man
Nemesis 2
The Last Man On Earth
Endgame
Crash & Burn
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn is next on my menu. Looks like cheese. 3.3 imdb cheese.

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

I started to watch HELL the other day, but nodded off. I will revisit it...I remember the sun was whiting everything out and the protagonists were looking for gas.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I started to watch HELL the other day, but nodded off. I will revisit it...I remember the sun was whiting everything out and the protagonists were looking for gas.

That is pretty much the very start of the movie it actually is quite good if you enjoy the road you should enjoy this too.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Cyborg, its old but a great Post Apocalypse feel.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

CyCo wrote:Obviously Mad Max and Mad Max II. Or as it is over there in USland, Mad Max and The Road Warrior.

i would point out that the third film, Beyond the Thunder dome, actually has some interesting ideas for post-apoc settings. the methane fuel production, Feral tribes who have mythologized the world before the end, 'trial by combat' being used as a means of settling disputes, people adopting cliche TVshow elements into their live entertainment..

the problem was basically it was a lousy Mad Max film. change the title character and drop the handful of direct references to the previous films, and it might have fared a bit better. still wouldn't have been good, but it wouldn't be remembered with such vehemence..

a few other suggestions..

The Postman. didn't do well in the box office, and with a bit of an anti-climax ending, but this one is a great one for getting the feel of post-apoc settings.

Babylon AD. this one isn't technically post-apoc, but it has a lot of elements in common with parts of rifts, which can help you get a better grasp of how high technology can mix with the less civilized areas of rifts.

Rhea Gall Force, and Gall force Earth Story (if you can find them) ... these are sort of an anime version of Terminator, with humans fighting machines after an nuclear holocaust. the series was done by some of the same people who did MOSPEADA (robotech's New Generation) and Bubblegum Crisis, so the technology and visuals in the Gall Force earth segments has some similarity to stuff that made it into rifts.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Warriors of the Wasteland, from 1983.

One of those Italian low-budget movies, but it boasts Fred Williamson (of many a blaxploitation film, but also of the Starsky & Hutch movie and From Dusk Till Dawn) as a roaming mercenary that uses a bow with high-tech explosive warheads he stores on his forearm bracer. The film also has a "kid genius" character that, I kid you not, invents a bulletproof/explosive-proof substance that can not only be used in place of a screen door, but can also be used to make see-through, Plastic-Man (TM)-style body armor. Plus, the bad guys call themselves "Templars" after the Knights Templar, ride around on motorcycles & jet-powered cars, & wear oversized shoulder pads on their motorcycle leather suits/armor.

There's another one from the same time period, I can never remember the name & haven't found it again since I saw it as a kid. I remember there was a scene where 2 bad guys try to half-quarter a teenager with their motorcycles, but all they end up doing is ripping off his (unbeknownst until then) cybernetic arm. I also remember, since it was on late-night TV, that they'd had to obviously dub over the language, & the head bad guy had the line, "Come on, you mother-grubbers! Do you want to live forever!?!"
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

green.nova343 wrote:Warriors of the Wasteland, from 1983.

One of those Italian low-budget movies, but it boasts Fred Williamson (of many a blaxploitation film, but also of the Starsky & Hutch movie and From Dusk Till Dawn) as a roaming mercenary that uses a bow with high-tech explosive warheads he stores on his forearm bracer. The film also has a "kid genius" character that, I kid you not, invents a bulletproof/explosive-proof substance that can not only be used in place of a screen door, but can also be used to make see-through, Plastic-Man (TM)-style body armor. Plus, the bad guys call themselves "Templars" after the Knights Templar, ride around on motorcycles & jet-powered cars, & wear oversized shoulder pads on their motorcycle leather suits/armor.

It's also unintentionally hilarious. ;)

A lot of good ones so far...

there's always Roger Corman's Deathrace 2000, and while not post apocalyptic, the modern Deathrace films have some damn cool rides.

Doomsday is one I find enjoyable (I often watch it as a double feature with Deathrace), as a homage to films like Mad Max, Knightriders, and Escape from New York.

Speaking of Escape from New York, both it and it's sequel Escape from L.A. can be useful for the post-apocalypse feel. And if you're looking for mutant raiders, look no farther than another John Carpenter movie, Ghosts of Mars.

Steel Frontier was a decent post-apocalypse/western b-film.

Slipstream might have one or two things you can lift from it, though it's not much for action.

Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, screams post-apocalypse, with plenty of mutants to go around.

Cherry 2000 and the Terror Within have their moments. As did Raiders of the Sun (if you can get past the raiders seeking out a 'gunpowder mine').

The Blood of Heroes is a personal favorite of mine.

There's also Judge Dredd, which while campy, does have some action in the 'Cursed Earth' outside of Mega-City One. The new Dredd film is a heck of a lot better, plus it can be useful as a tiny view in the day to day of Coalition States law enforcement. (ie, Judge, Jury, Executioner in one, working side by side with a psychic.)

I also like Stakeland, which I'd say it's something of across between The Road, and Zombieland with feral vampires.

That's all I can think of at the moment aside from a few that have already been mentioned. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Mercdog wrote:Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, screams post-apocalypse, with plenty of mutants to go around.

Yup. Some of them effectively mega-damage, I'd say.

The Blood of Heroes is a personal favorite of mine.

An absolute classic that I can't believe I neglected to mention!
It's my favorite sports movie of all time.

While we're at it...
Logan's Run.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

Don't laugh, but The Postman

Strip away the cheese and some questionable acting, and its a story about a guy who falls back-asswards into saving humanity. I've had this happen to me in games at least twice.
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Thought of a couple more...

Reign of Fire, post apocalypse plus dragons, a winning combination!

Beowulf (1999) with Christopher Lambert, simply transports the epic tale into a post-apocalypse setting. It also treats Beowulf as a demi-god type.

Screamers and APEX, both more or less pretty much feature post-apocalyptic environs with man vs. machine theme.

Priest. I mean come on, first time I saw the trailer I thought of Rifts Vampire Kingdoms.

and lastly (for now) Heavy Metal. In particularly for the Harry Canyon and Taarna segments. If that glowing green orb can't be considered an alien intelligence, I don't know what can. ;)
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I know why I am up at 4:08am but why the hell are you up at 4:00am CyCo? :lol:

Why was I still awake at 4 of the AM when I made that post? Had got up early on my rostered days off, finally did my tax, did boring stuff the rest of the day and then decided to see a late session of Django Unchanged. So as to not fall asleep during the flick, I had a nap. Movie session started 21:20, movie finished at about 00:20. Got home about 00:40. As I had a nap, I was still quite awake. Ended up staying up longer than initially intended, trying to remember movies for this topic. And yes, it's now 00:45. I'm planning on sleeping in this morning. lol

So, why were you awake?

8p
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

kaid wrote:I just saw a really good Post Apocalypse type movie on netflix streaming the other day it is called Hell. It is german language but has subtitles and was really well done and well shot.

That's the other one! I had been trying to remember the name of that film. It's called Hell for two reasons. One referring to that hot place where the Devil is supposed to hold his bbq, and the other is one of the meanings of the word hell in German, it can mean 'bright' or 'light'. You'll find out why when you watch the movie. Another I intend to add to my collection one day.
Eureka!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Fisnished Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn this afternoon and the first thing I noticed is how RIFTSy it is. There are cyborgs, aliens, alien cyborgs, dimensional rifts, rifted in monsters, energy weapons, lawless wastelands, strange magical glyphs, space age body armor, a rogue scholar, kickass armored vehicles, flying skiffs and a whole lot more.

The movie itself isn't a masterpiece...well maybe a masterpiece of schlock, but it was enjoyable and I recommend it if you like schlocky post-apoc cheese.

Richard 'Bull from Nightcourt' Moll is great as a mutant chieftain.

There were a lot of excellent vehicle stunts as well and unlike other films I've seen where it's obvious they're only driving about 15mph. In Metalstorm they are hauling ass...there is one scene where the hero, a wasteland ranger named Dogen, jumps his armored battle jeep over a hill and it looks like he plows into a stuntman. Good stuff. Too bad I couldn't see it in it's original 3-D.

The only negatives...maybe too much driving around (not smashing stuff or getting chased driving) and the huh? setup for sequal that never happened ending. Also the sai fight between Moll and the hero suffered from bad fight choreography. Other than that...I like 8)

I actually wondered if Kevin saw this before he came up with Rifts...there's a lot of Rift stuff in it.

I would definitely buy this flick for the right price...under $20 that is.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Fury Road - I wanna see it SO bad!
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

CyCo wrote:Obviously Mad Max and Mad Max II. Or as it is over there in USland, Mad Max and The Road Warrior.

Absolutely. Lol, they even feature in the *shudder* rifts novels, where a hatchling dragon uses a Mel Gibson template for his human appearance. He calls himself 'Gibs'.

One of my faves is a NewZealand film called Quiet Earth. In essence, a science experiment in a global electrical grid goes totally wrong. Had a good twist in it, and an ending that's thought provoking.

Glad you mentioned this. It's one of my all time faves, even if it is from Inzut. Fantastic, creepy, and brilliant in equal measures.

An oldie but a goody is On the Beach. In short, a crew of a US Nuke attack sub decide to head to Australia when it comes to an all out Nuclear War. Most of the Nukes hit the Northern Hemisphere, but it's only a matter of time for the fallout to get down to Oz. The original is from the 1950s and has I think Steve McQueen and maybe Gregory Peck? There was a remake in the mid 80's. I haven't seen this version, but I think Geoff Goldblum was in it. There was also a mini series, which I also haven't seen. I fully intend on adding the original version to my collection, not 100% sure about the remake or mini series.

Don't worry about the miniseries, and the original was better than the remake. Also the book by Neville Shute was pretty awesome.

Obviously 12 Monkeys rocks right up the list. Both a post apoc movie and a time travel movie, but both descriptions don't do justice.

Yes to this.

Tank Girl. Comic turned into a budget flick. Totally weird movie, with (was it Ice-T?) as a mutant Kangaroo. Oh, and a 'blinged' out tank.

Not only did it have Ice-T, but also Iggy Pop. IGGY FREAKING POP!!!

I can add a couple of 'oldies but goldies' to the list. And really, they do warrant watching:

Robot Jox has a wobbly-special-effects charm all of its own. It is also set in a post-apocalyptic world where most people cannot read, but there are high powered tech-cities, genetic experimentation to make ultimate warriors, and of course massive robot battles. Classic.

Exterminators of the Year 3000 is one of my all-time favourite post-apocalyptic movies. It's a low-budget 'spaghetti science fiction' movie, but it has it all: Rugged heroes, Evil villains, cyborg kids, desperate battles using long-forgotten (or fading) technology, high-tech combat cars, energy pistols, mutant survivors, and most importantly... nothing is all that clean. I get tired of seeing movies where it's supposedly 'in the desert' or whatnot and everything looks like it's come out of a showroom. This movie is probably how things really WOULD look post-apocalypse. Grim, dusty, and dirty.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

I had forgotten about Robot Jox. It's pretty damn bad. Not bad ass, just bad. lol

And Exterminators from the Year 3000. Yeah, it's the apoc version of a spaghetti western. Not too bad for what it is.

One more from the valuts; Hardware. Post Apoc from the early 90s. World is a nuclear wasteland. A scavenger finds an old beat up robot in the wastes, takes it home to scavenge parts or sell it off. Ends up with a human looking mechanical skull that is painted with the Stars and Stripes. In short it goes on a killing spree. And it's pretty much all filmed through a yellowish filter, for that 'apoc' look of course. It's pretty damn bad too.
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Subjugator wrote:Fury Road - I wanna see it SO bad!

You and me both buddy. But here's a little something to wet your appetite.

You can thank me latter.

8]
Eureka!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

I need to revisit Tank Girl...I saw it at the theatre and was disappointed with it a bit. With some of the low budget dreck I've been watching, it might shine now. I just remember loving the commix and maybe having heightened expectations.

Also..yeah...I don't think I've seen all of Robot Jox or Crash and Burn (another giant mech flck).

Killer Cyborg
Priest

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I need to revisit Tank Girl...I saw it at the theatre and was disappointed with it a bit. With some of the low budget dreck I've been watching, it might shine now. I just remember loving the commix and maybe having heightened expectations.

Also..yeah...I don't think I've seen all of Robot Jox or Crash and Burn (another giant mech flck).

Crash and Burn technically HAS a giant mech in it, but only barely.
For the most part, iirc, it's more of a killer android flick.

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Watched Hell of some of the folks here's recommendation. Not bad, not as soul wrenching as The Road, but not too bad. I started to watch a Stephan Segal vampire post apoc flick, but fell asleep. Will finish my blurb about it later. From what I saw it wasn't terrible, lotsa blood and guts and what's wrong with Segal's hair?

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Oh, and don't ever forget "Battle Beyond The Stars".

Not exactly post-apocalyptic, but you might as well watch it while you're at it.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Oh, and don't ever forget "Battle Beyond The Stars".

Not exactly post-apocalyptic, but you might as well watch it while you're at it.

Awesome B grade sci-fi. Basically Seven Samurai in space. With 'John-boy' Walton!
Eureka!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

CyCo wrote:

Awesome B grade sci-fi. Basically Seven Samurai in space. With 'John-boy' Walton!

You missed George 'Hannibal from the A-Team' Peppard, and Robert Vaughn effectively doing the same role as he did in The Magnificent Seven.

Also, was one of the very first movies worked on by James 'I'm the king of the world' Cameron.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Hell Comes To Frogtown

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Hell Comes to Frogtown...that is one I need to revisit. Thanks for reminding me KC. I remember seeing it on TBS way back when, there was other stuff going on (partying) so I wasn't paying attention. Roddy Piper is/was one of my fav wrestlers and I loved him in They Live.

I got around to watching two more flix on netflix.

Against the Dark starring Stephan 'is that a fur helmet or your hair' Segal...eh not much to mention here. It was OK, had decent gore and pacing. Not worth recommending, but mildly entertaining. Segal and his crew of zombie/vampire hunters only pop in once in a while. The story is really about a group of survivors making their way through an abandoned/infested hospital.

the other one was:

I Am Omega, which is one of those cash in flix from Asylum films. I've seen other titles around, they mimic big budget movie releases basically, never watched one though. Anyway, this one was intended to rip off Wil Smith's so-so, I Am Legend. Even though it had no budget, I Am Omega wasn't bad, not bad at all. The lead actor, the host of Iron Chef was very likable and a decent, relaxed actor...surprised as Hell was I. The monsters looked good and the gore was tame enough for my 9 year old to watch over my shoulder.

Out of the two flix, Omega was definitely the better.

I will have to check out what's next on Netflix...Battle Beyond the Stars I see is on there. That might be my next one.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I Am Omega, which is one of those cash in flix from Asylum films. I've seen other titles around, they mimic big budget movie releases basically, never watched one though. Anyway, this one was intended to rip off Wil Smith's so-so, I Am Legend. Even though it had no budget, I Am Omega wasn't bad, not bad at all. The lead actor, the host of Iron Chef was very likable and a decent, relaxed actor...surprised as Hell was I. The monsters looked good and the gore was tame enough for my 9 year old to watch over my shoulder.

Out of the two flix, Omega was definitely the better.

I will have to check out what's next on Netflix...Battle Beyond the Stars I see is on there. That might be my next one.

Yeah, that one was pretty decent for what it was.
But it had Marc Dacascos, and he's pretty awesome.
I didn't know he was doing Iron Chef- I know him from Only The Strong, The Crow: Stairway to Heaven and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Gryphon wrote:Watch his movie, Drive. Seriously, he is basically a Juicer in that flick, and it is awe inspiring well done!!!

Oh, and Crying Freeman too.

When you said Drive I thought you were referring to the Drive that came out a few years ago...

This Drive is the one you were referring to....sounds very interesting...and it has Mr Dacascos in it as well.

Danks fer da heads up.

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
CyCo wrote:

You missed George 'Hannibal from the A-Team' Peppard,

Actually his character was my favorite. And Robert Vaughn's character was kinda cool too. It's a great b grade sci-fi movie.

8]
Eureka!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

I couldn't resist when I saw it listed...hands...er...paws down, the single greatest post apocalypse flick of all time.

Planet of the Apes.

Still awesome even after dozens of viewings.

why has there never been a PotA rpg?

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Serenity/Firefly has a lot of that feel with the Reavers. More like a galactic apocalypse than a global one.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Pandorum
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

An interesting movie if one likes some post apocalyptic stuff and does not mind some vampire/zombie stuff is stake land. Good post apocalypse type setting and an interesting take on zombies/vampires.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:

I can add a couple of 'oldies but goldies' to the list. And really, they do warrant watching:

Robot Jox has a wobbly-special-effects charm all of its own. It is also set in a post-apocalyptic world where most people cannot read, but there are high powered tech-cities, genetic experimentation to make ultimate warriors, and of course massive robot battles. Classic.

Exterminators of the Year 3000 is one of my all-time favourite post-apocalyptic movies. It's a low-budget 'spaghetti science fiction' movie, but it has it all: Rugged heroes, Evil villains, cyborg kids, desperate battles using long-forgotten (or fading) technology, high-tech combat cars, energy pistols, mutant survivors, and most importantly... nothing is all that clean. I get tired of seeing movies where it's supposedly 'in the desert' or whatnot and everything looks like it's come out of a showroom. This movie is probably how things really WOULD look post-apocalypse. Grim, dusty, and dirty.

That's the one!!!!! That's the movie with the "mother-grubbers" line & the kid with the cybernetic arm!!!!

Sweet, now I have to see if I can find it on Netflix...
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Gryphon wrote:Split Second, Six Stringed Samurai, and most of Oliver Gruniers efforts are really great, at least for mostly B grade material.

Can't believe I forgot Split Second.

Beowulf, Screamers and APEX were all third stringer C affairs, but fun anyhow. There is a Screamers 2 as well (might be a 3), and it actually wasn't entirely worthless really. Beowulf could have been awesome, except Lambert was too old and physically incapable to even fake some stunts, and the stunt double didn't look like him, so every time he did something cool, you were jarred out of the moment. the lead actress was almost competent though...almost...

She does give a better performance in Doomsday, that's for certain. Another of Beowulf's flaws was Grendel leaping at the screen about 3-4 times using the exact same shot.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

I would recommend "Survivors" (Yes I know it has been mentioned). It was a TV series way back in the 70's. It's composed of 38 episodes over two seasons. You can watch them all on YouTube. Unlike any other series of it's kind at the time, Survivors depicts events after a plague wipes out something like 99% of the population of Earth. They shortly realize that they must produce there own food, medicine, and fuel. With some baddies on the way. Thumbs up here. I would say more but it's late here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1SrFGXgA4 first episode.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Damnation Alley is a great post apocalyptic road movie

Patlabor {the live action version} is very post apocalyptic

Omega man

Split second is one of the best
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Jorel wrote:Pandorum

Gryphon wrote:I have an inadvertent shiver every time I recall the fate of the other vessel. Absolutely chilling! Same thing with what happens to random sleepers when they wake up too... *shudders* (No spoilers in the replies please, this is a minor thing, but an important one.)

Damn, I had forgotten that movie. That was an awesome movie, and took me by surprise 100%. I now see there's a sequel. Anyone seen it and is it any good?
Eureka!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Got around to watching another Post-Apoc flick yesterday. This one was called Dream Warrior. It had little to no budget, was obviously shot in Bulgaria or some other Eastern European country, had very limited special effects, but somehow pulled it off enough to keep me from shutting it off.

What made the flick tolerable for me was probably the decent B-movie acting. It did feature two B-movie mainstays, Lance Henriksen as an evil overlord, mind control master and pretty cool Isaac Hayes as a telekinetic monk.

Really-
The most interesting thing about Dream Warrior was it featured psychics with various different powers. Each psychic having their own specific power and the evil, mutant hating (even though he is one himself) Lance Henriksen and his motorcycle riding minions who seek out the protagonists for killing purposes. Kinda Rifty I guess. If Lance was a low rent stand in for Prosek. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a C- .

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Oh my word, I've been remiss.

How could we have forgotten Megaforce??

My face, btw, is pretty much the same as the guy at 2.22, watching Barry Bostwick dressed up like a bee gee and making his 'O-face' while aboard what must be the shonkiest flying motorcycle in the history of flying motorcycles.

This bike is the one that the Chipwell executives looked at and said 'No, we won't build that. It looks too cheap'.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Mega force is the ultimate movie of all time :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Oh my word, I've been remiss.

How could we have forgotten Megaforce??

My face, btw, is pretty much the same as the guy at 2.22, watching Barry Bostwick dressed up like a bee gee and making his 'O-face' while aboard what must be the shonkiest flying motorcycle in the history of flying motorcycles.

This bike is the one that the Chipwell executives looked at and said 'No, we won't build that. It looks too cheap'.

I really need to see Megaforce....

I'm in love with that jetbike, amazing how it doesn't stall with the top flying speed of 35mph.

Also how much MDC does that headband have?

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Def-Con 4 was an old 80's post apocolyptic movie. It featured a C-list acting cast playing straded Astronauts after a nuclear holocost. Kind of like a train wreck - horrible, but you can't look away.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads

Return to “Rifts®”