American Magic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

American Magic

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

AlexanderD's recent request for "ancient mystical lost treasures" got me thinking.
America may be young as a nation by most standards, but we still have a pretty rich history and plenty of strictly American folklore and customs.
One thing that bugs me in movies and TV shows is that whenever there's a powerful magical artifact, or creature/monster, or spell, or whatever, it's virtually NEVER American in origin. It's always European, or Asian, or African, or from pretty much any other place on the planet. Or from space.
And if it IS from America, it's always tied in to the Native Americans in some way. It's one of their legends (real or made up for the story), or their monsters, etc.
Personally, I'd like to see more stuff that taps into the history of the United States itself.

A couple of good examples of the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of would be in the early seasons of the TV show Supernatural.
The first example being the giant pentagram railway, and the second being the demon-slaying revolver made by Samuel Colt.

In this thread, I'd like to see some write-ups or ideas for Rifts artifacts/monsters/whatever that originate in the old United States.
Nothing that originates with Native American lore.
And, for the love of God, nothing that has anything to do with Roanoke, just because that's been done to death, re-animated, then done to death again.
Also, something fairly balanced, something proportional with the setting and system would be desired. It can be more powerful than average, but it shouldn't put Greatest Rune Weapons to shame, or make the Old Ones quake in their boots.

Here's one example of the kind of thing I'm looking for:

Old Bang-All
This .48 caliber long rifle was owned by legendary keelboatmen, fur trapper, and hell-raiser, Mike Fink. Fink was an incredible sharpshooter, quite possibly the only man to ever beat Davy Crockett in a shooting match (although some say this was because of Crockett's reluctance to point his weapon in the direction of a female). Fink's reliable Pennsylvania flintlock only failed him once, resulting in the death of a beloved friend, William Carpenter. After this tragic event, they say that Fink threw down his rifle and cursed it.
Fink's own life seemed cursed as well from that point on, as many people believed that Fink's shooting of Carpenter was deliberate, a falling out over a woman. Shortly thereafter, Fink was shot and killed by Levi Talbot, in retaliation for Carpenter's death. Talbot later drowned in a river.
Fink's rifle was lost to time, for the most part, after the shooting of Carpenter. It has turned up in the hands of collectors occasionally, only to disappear again after tragic events. After the Coming of the Rifts, the boost in magical energy seems to have enhanced the weapon, turning it into a powerful artifact.

Country of Origin: USA
Caliber: .48
Feed: Muzzle-Loader
Weight: 7.5 lbs, fully loaded
Barrel Length: 33"
Overall Length: 48"
Effective Range: 300' (normal range for long rifles is 150')
Damage: 1d4x10 (normal damage for .48 long rifles is 4d6)
Old Bang-All's damage is SDC against SDC targets, or MD against MDC targets. The weapon is magical, so it can affect vampires, werewolves, and other such creatures.
The shooter can make a successful "Pull Punch" check in order to reduce the rolled damage to any specific (lower) amount of damage.
Misfire Rate: 0% (normally 10%)
Rate Of Fire: Inexplicably easier to reload than a normal long rifle, but it still takes 2 actions to reload at for a first level character with WP Blackpowder Weapons. A 3rd level character with the WP can reload in only one action. At 7th level, a character can both fire and reload in one attack/action.
Strike Bonus +2 Natural bonus to strike (allowing for critical hits to be rolled on 18+ for normal characters). Also, unlike other firearms, the shooter's Physical Prowess strike bonuses count when firing this weapon.
Curse: The owner of this weapon slowly changes in temperament, developing issues with rage and jealousy. They also develop a penchant for playing practical jokes, particularly (and increasingly) cruel jokes, even injurious jokes. They also take more and more pleasure in bragging and showing off, to the point of challenging strangers to contests of strength or skill.
(Basically, read up on Mike Fink- the owner starts adopting his personality, particularly the less pleasant parts)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: American Magic

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

The limits placed on me by the prerequisites have pretty much tied my hands. American History isn't one of my strong points and I know very little compared to what I know about other things; and what I do know is mostly in regard to a certain vanishing village. :lol:

That said, I would love to see the Official stats for the Lincoln memorial (that is what they call that big monolith thing right? Man, its been years!) - it could give people powers like that thing that gives the White Rose Knights their power?

Also, I'd like to see the "official" stats for the Liberty Bell (since it should totally get magical abilities because of the sympathetic nature of magic).

This thread has the potential to turn into a really interesting Rifter article.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Rifles of the Hatfields and McCoys. They can be used to find each other and will shoot anyone holding the rifle from the other family.

Watch Warehouse 13. tons of American Artifacts on that show. Like Lizzy Bordens Axe. Etc.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Smashed wrote:Declaration of Independence
Since it was originally signed by the Continental Congress, this document has been absorbing the desires for freedom and liberty its words have inspired all who have viewed it. With the coming of the Rifts, these latent psychic impressions have surged with a power rivaled only by ancient magical artifacts.
Powers- Having possession of the Declaration makes you immune to all mind control, possession, and any magical or psychic methods of persuasion (Normal methods of persuasion function as normal). Reading the words or having the words read to you from the Declaration will instill a desire for freedom and a sense of liberty in all mortal creatures. Choosing to embrace these feelings will grant the individual the immunity to all mind control, possession, and any magical or psychic methods of persuasion that the holder of the declaration enjoys. In addition when performing any task that furthers the cause of liberty and freedom will give the individual a +1 to any combat rolls, +5% to any skill rolls, and the ability to absorb 10 additional points of damage.

Notes- The Declaration of Independence is written on simple parchment and thus incredibly delicate (1 SDC). Thankfully during the Golden Age it was covered in a preservative polymer (1 MDC) and was stored in a MDC glass case (20 MDC) and filled with an inert gas.

Hm.
Get it to a Diabolist, and it can be indestructible!

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The actual cards Wild Bill Hitchcock was holding (the original 'Dead Mans Hand')
The actual bullet that killed a gunslinger in a dual
The Golden Spike (linked the transcontinental railroad)
Cassy Jones Conductors Hat
Johnny Appleseeds bag of seeds
John Henry's Sledge Hammer
The QUILL used to sign the decleration of independance
The Musket that fired 'the shot heard round the world'
The Kitty Hawk
John Glenns space boots (that took that giant leap....)
the 'magic bullet' from the Kennedy Assasination
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Smashed wrote:Declaration of Independence
Since it was originally signed by the Continental Congress, this document has been absorbing the desires for freedom and liberty its words have inspired all who have viewed it. With the coming of the Rifts, these latent psychic impressions have surged with a power rivaled only by ancient magical artifacts.
Powers- Having possession of the Declaration makes you immune to all mind control, possession, and any magical or psychic methods of persuasion (Normal methods of persuasion function as normal). Reading the words or having the words read to you from the Declaration will instill a desire for freedom and a sense of liberty in all mortal creatures. Choosing to embrace these feelings will grant the individual the immunity to all mind control, possession, and any magical or psychic methods of persuasion that the holder of the declaration enjoys. In addition when performing any task that furthers the cause of liberty and freedom will give the individual a +1 to any combat rolls, +5% to any skill rolls, and the ability to absorb 10 additional points of damage.

Notes- The Declaration of Independence is written on simple parchment and thus incredibly delicate (1 SDC). Thankfully during the Golden Age it was covered in a preservative polymer (1 MDC) and was stored in a MDC glass case (20 MDC) and filled with an inert gas.

Am I the only one crazy enough to think it would be cooler if it just resurrected everyone who signed it and then gave them magical powers? :lol:
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

eliakon wrote:Johnny Appleseeds bag of seeds

Yes please.

eliakon wrote:The QUILL used to sign the decleration of independance

Brilliant idea. Better than the deceleration itself in my opinion.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

eliakon wrote:John Glenns space boots (that took that giant leap....)

Niel Armstrong's boots took the giant leap not John Glenn (first American in orbit, Armstrong was the first to walk on the Moon).

Akashic Soldier wrote:That said, I would love to see the Official stats for the Lincoln memorial (that is what they call that big monolith thing right? Man, its been years!)

I think you are thinking of the Washington Memorial (the obelisk) as the Lincon is a giant stone statue of him sitting in a chair, inside a building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Memorial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:

Niel Armstrong's boots took the giant leap not John Glenn (first American in orbit, Armstrong was the first to walk on the Moon).

Akashic Soldier wrote:That said, I would love to see the Official stats for the Lincoln memorial (that is what they call that big monolith thing right? Man, its been years!)

I think you are thinking of the Washington Memorial (the obelisk) as the Lincon is a giant stone statue of him sitting in a chair, inside a building.

LOL my bad, I was just making the list up on the fly. But yes, Mr Armstrongs boots might be a potent symbol
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

eliakon wrote:The actual cards Wild Bill Hitchcock was holding (the original 'Dead Mans Hand')
The Kitty Hawk

NICE!
:ok:

The Golden Spike, Johnny Appleseed's seedbag, and the Kitty Hawk especially.

Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Jim Bowie's knife.
Lewis & Clarke's compass.
John Wilkes Booth's Philadelphia Derringer.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

These all sound like things that would be stored in Warehouse 13.

In the last session they used 'The Golden Spike" in the episode with the cookware that made people grow.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:

Yup! Thank you Logan! It was the Washington Monument I meant. :D
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Cool ideas guys!

Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's apparel:

-His looking glass provides +3 to strike with Heavy Weapons (He was an artillery instructor prior to the CW)
-His hat provides the wearer with +50 MDC and radiates +6 vs Horror Factor for all those round him in a 50 foot radius, providing the "Stonewall" stigma.
-His right gauntlet provides the wearer with "Lee's right arm" and provides the wearer with strikes that deal damage equal to that of Supernatural Strength.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

This thread just provided the next arc(s?) for the campaign I'm running! Thanks y'all!
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

eliakon wrote:The actual cards Wild Bill Hitchcock was holding (the original 'Dead Mans Hand')

Casey Jones wore a hockey mask...

:mrgreen:
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Bo's .44 "Griswold" revolver.

A unique item as it is referred to as a "Griswold" (brass framed Confederate copy of a .36 Colt 1851 Navy), yet it is really a brass framed .44 Colt 1860 Army revolver. Normally a cap-and-ball revolver, this weapon can be loaded conventionally (usually silver balls for supernatural enemies), or fire bolts of emotion from the "Lost Cause" by channeling PPE into the revolver. The weapon also has various abilities over Wraith Brigade Entities that are common to the Dino Swamp area.

Country of Origin: Hollywood/Vancouver construct, an inaccurate replica based off of historical CSA weapon.
Caliber: .44
Feed: Cap-and-Ball revolver
Capacity: The cylinder has 6 rounds (plus special, see below)
Weight: 43 oz
Barrel Length: 8"
Overall Length: 14"
Effective Range: 30 yards (plus special, see below)
Damage: 4D6 S.D.C. for a standard round ball (plus special, see below)
Misfire Rate: 5%
Rate Of Fire: A character with WP Black Powder can fire one shot per attack, but takes a full melee round to reload one of the 6 chambers. Special: Alternatively the weapon can be disassembled and a preloaded cylinder can replace the spent cylinder in 4 attacks provided the character does not make any sudden movements (if the character dodges, make a PP check to see if he/she dropped any pieces of the weapon). This technique is only possible with a character with WP Black Powder at at least 3rd level proficiency.
Special Features:
-A character of Southern American heritage can invoke the Fury of the Lost Cause by channeling 6 PPE into the weapon. The result fires a bolt of magical energy that deals 1D4X10 damage (S.D.C. to S.D.C. targets, M.D. to M.D.C. targets), has a range of 500 yards and cannot be dodged unless the defender rolls a natural 17 or higher. The weapon does not need to be conventionally loaded to use this ability.
-Blue clad Wraith Brigade Entities naturally fear this weapon and must save vs Horror Factor with a -10 penalty.
-The weapon deals double damage to blue clad Wraith Brigade Entities, even the conventional S.D.C. rounds damage them as if it were an M.D. energy weapon.
-Grey clad Wraith Brigade Entities will rally behind the user, unleashing Rebel Yells and instantly supporting the user. The owner of the weapon can control 2 grey clad Wraith Brigade Entities per level of experience. Even if not under direct control of the user, grey clad Wraith Brigade Entities will not attack the user.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Or even the cards held by Wild Bill Hickok. The camera used by Alfred Hitchcock is an entirely seperate magical device used to 'summon and control avians', with the proviso that it can only be used to attack young women.

I do believe the pistol, originally belonging to Gavrillo Princip that fired said bullet is in the possession of the Brodkil Empire at the moment, with the Angel of Death negotiating to take it, as the owner becomes rightful heir to an organisation known as 'the black hand'.

I assume you mean Neil Armstrong's Boots.

Or Alan Shepard's space suit, as the first american in Space.... er... just make sure you wash it before you wear it, or you'll find out what a 'wet back' really is.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

RuneKatana wrote:A supernatural intelligence from an underworld dimension is trying to reassert itself on the mortal plane by gaining followers on Rifts earth. Through manipulation he is gaining followers in his cult, having them perform magic rituals and laboring via other more twisted and horrific endeavors. The intelligence? One Alistair Crowley.

I'm pretty sure he was British, not American.

Wikipedia confirms (for whatever that's worth).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

heh, a bit surprised... no paul bunyan? :P (the obvious choice would be his axe).

you could also grab stuff from movies, at least the ones that are fairly iconic.

but you could also go with famous sports players as well...

but yeah, i'm sure there's plenty of civil war references you could grab.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Babe Ruth's bat. Allows grenades to be knocked for miles. (actually reminds me of the Krikkit robots from Hitchhiker's guide... maybe that should be Don Bradman's Bat....)

Marilyn Monroe's dress from 'the seven year itch' (has a similar effect to Aphrodite's girdle in Pantheons of the Megaverse)
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

All of which makes raiding pre-Rifts museum sites a good idea for BOTH Rogue Scholars and Mages.
And some of those museums may just have invested in MDC containers and bunkers, if only to thwart would-be thieves.

Shark_Force wrote:heh, a bit surprised... no paul bunyan? :P (the obvious choice would be his axe).

you could also grab stuff from movies, at least the ones that are fairly iconic.

Actually did a Paul Bunyan monster/alien intelligence/godling conversion many years ago....sort of an EVIL(in the sort of destroyer of wilderness sort of way) version, as the Native Americans and Biomancers weren't terribly keen on this giant guy going around clear-cutting entire forests and destroying habitat. The CS kinda liked him, because, even though he had a work crew of all manner of sorts of d-bees, he essentially wiped out monster habitat and they could move in and settle the territories he'd cleared.
I'll have to find it wherever I stored it on file or in hard copy, see if it needs updating.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

taalismn wrote:All of which makes raiding pre-Rifts museum sites a good idea for BOTH Rogue Scholars and Mages.
And some of those museums may just have invested in MDC containers and bunkers, if only to thwart would-be thieves.

Shark_Force wrote:heh, a bit surprised... no paul bunyan? :P (the obvious choice would be his axe).

Actually did a Paul Bunyan monster/alien intelligence/godling conversion many years ago....sort of an EVIL(in the sort of destroyer of wilderness sort of way) version, as the Native Americans and Biomancers weren't terribly keen on this giant guy going around clear-cutting entire forests and destroying habitat. The CS kinda liked him, because, even though he had a work crew of all manner of sorts of d-bees, he essentially wiped out monster habitat and they could move in and settle the territories he'd cleared.
I'll have to find it wherever I stored it on file or in hard copy, see if it needs updating.

it would be way too tempting for me to have johnny appleseed following behind and magically planting apple trees which grow at an extreme rate to maturity. just imagine the look on the CS troops' faces when they wake up in the morning, look out the window, and are smack dab in the middle of an apple tree orchard (with trees growing out of all their MDC bunkers and such) :P
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:[
it would be way too tempting for me to have johnny appleseed following behind and magically planting apple trees which grow at an extreme rate to maturity. just imagine the look on the CS troops' faces when they wake up in the morning, look out the window, and are smack dab in the middle of an apple tree orchard (with trees growing out of all their MDC bunkers and such) :P

John Henry versus the Drill Robot(s)....Supernatural vs Robotic Strength! :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Found it!

And now, a retro-PC version of American legends......

Paul Bunyan

They came in cautiously, and armed to the teeth. It had taken some time to gather them all, but when at last they made their move, they were ready. Fully four ten- hands of braves, five hands of armored warriors, and a hand of Serpents under the leadership of acting War-Chief Yonpacnac, a veteran of many combats against the Xiticix and Whites, approached the danger zone.
They burst into the edge of a clearing, ready for anything, weapons loaded and primed, with all the determined courage of men on a suicide mission. And they stopped, locked in their tracks by what they beheld.
Even the most battle-hardened of the warriors who had come for this, were taken aback by the devastation they were witness to... Even with the reports of the airborne warriors, they were still shocked by...Acres and acres, miles and miles of open ground lay where once a mighty forest stood. A great vista of stumps, piles of sawdust, rotting piles of leaves, and raw scars of drag paths greeted them. Already, the creeks, now revealed, stripped of their surrounding cover, were sluggish and swollen with silted runoff and eroded earth from the previous night’s rain.
“The Great Mother...She bleeds!” croaked a brave, who somehow found his voice.
Though he too was shocked by the sight, Yonpacnac took control of the situation as a good War-Chief should. “Enough! Fan out! Search and take note of all you see! But maintain continuous contact, and remain in mutual cover position! Danger may still wait here!”
Diligently, showing their professionalism, the braves broke up into recon groups and began methodically patterning the area of devastation, weapons at the ready, supported by their airborne brethren flying overwatch, and their heavy artillery nearby, watching for trouble. It took time to search the vast waste, but because they were thorough in their work.
But they at last found the evidence they had feared they would find.. the drag paths, the vehicle ruts, the foundations of campsites and buildings, the unmistakable imprints of giant boots tracking across the devastated landscape...followed by the equally large hoofprints of an enormous quadruped.....
With a dry mouth, and itching throat, Yonpacnac keyed his radio to the frequency reserved for the War Camp he had left many miles behind.
“Tell the elders....Tell them....The signs are obvious....The Destroyer has returned.”

Paul Bunyan is a figure out of American myth; an icon of a glorious time when a young United States of America was stretching its legs, pushing its borders, building bigger, faster, and more of it, and reaching out to explore and exploit frontiers and resources that seemed endless, infinite. Paul Bunyan epitomized the American frontier laborer; larger than life, bigger than anything imaginable, a rough and tumble self-reliant giant who ventured into a dark unknown and cut it all into logs, planks, and panels to feed an expanding America. And he was capable of anything; pushing up mountains, digging the Grand Canyon, straightening out rivers, driving a log jam across the Atlantic, and taming such incredible beasts as the Sidehill Waggler, the Flap-jaw Snooze, and the ape-faced Walabang. He was so big he combed hibernating bears out of his beard, tamed the giant Blue Ox Babe, and ran a lumber camp so big that its dining room had a locomotive to deliver flapjacks to the far end before they got cold. Together with other legendary American giants like Tony Beaver(of the South), and A.B. Stormalong( a marine giant who, among other things, sailed a ‘Yankee Clipper’ the length of Cape Cod, and kept tempests in his sock drawer) Paul Bunyan cast a giant shadow and left an equally giant mark on a country that didn’t believe in going halfway.
But by later standards Paul Bunyan could be considered far differently; as a merciless despoiler of the environment, and an unenlightened exploiter of finite natural resources, Paul Bunyan clear-cut entire forests into deserts, destroyed such incredible natural wonders as the Mountain that Stood on Its Head(with its suspended forest) and the Woods of Limber Lumber. He destroyed untold acres of natural habitat, and unknown numbers of unique and irreplaceable species. His impact on the Native American psyche was so great that the Indians dared not even speak of him, save as the Destroyer.
Now, with the return of magic, monsters, and wilderness to the Earth, and North America, Paul Bunyan once again walks the land, as both savior and destroyer, hero and villain. Bunyan could be considered a hero in that he clears inhospitable wilderness and kills the many monsters that live there, but his actions also threaten wilderness communities and those who make their living off the forests, including Whites and D-bees.
It is unknown if the current Paul Bunyan of the rather fantastic reports is a true native of Earth, a d-bee, or a supernatural alien intelligence posing as a myth of the American past. Whatever he or it is, Paul Bunyan is BIG.

Paul Bunyan isn’t particularly bright(it doesn’t take that much brains to sneak up on a tree), but he is rather blunt and to the point, with a decidedly direct, brute force, approach to problem solving. He is devoted to his followers, and will do just about anything for them, but is neutral(i.e. cold and noncommittal, if not outright arrogant and surly) towards anyone else, especially those who approach him with a complaint. He is also an incredible braggart, given to spinning tall tales, and boisterous merrymaking(at which time its especially prudent to stay out of his way; a hundred-foot tall giant getting swaggeringly drunk and clog-dancing is a truly dangerous entity). Rough-and-tumble types will take an immediate shine to the big galoot; anyone else will find the giant to be course, rude, and full of himself. Has a soft spot for small children and animals, but has never married, or had kids of his own(though, given American folklore, anything is possible).
It is unknown exactly what keeps the massive giant going. Though he is well-known to consume massive (legendary) quantities of food, at his reported rate of consumption, he would devastate as much farmland in a sitting as he does acres of forest in a day’s work. Yet no evidence of large scale pilferage outside the areas of deforestation have ever been reported. This has led to speculation that Bunyan and his camp followers may be supplied from an outside force, such as a dimensional gate. This, in turn, has fueled theories that Bunyan may be an alien entity who is directed by other forces; rumors of massive planet-scale strip-mining and lumber-cutting operations by unknown parties working for the Naruni or other unscrupulous mega-entities abound, and may explain Bunyan’s hiatus from Earth. Another favored theory is that Bunyan feeds off the bio-energy of the plant life(and whatever fauna he catches in the process) he destroys.
Paul Bunyan(or whatever he is) has kept his operations(depredations) to the American North/NorthWest and Canada, but a wilderness scout who once worked with his camp has reported that several times during his stay there, the giant had said something about “those forests on that rock in the middle of the Atlantic look mighty tasty...like they haven’t felt the touch of an ax in centuries...”
Alignment: Anarchist
Age: Unknown(not likely to predate the formation of the United States of America)
Sex: Male
Height: 80 ft
Weight: 25 tons
Physical Description:
A mountainous giant of a man, with a muscular, rugged physique, thick, leathery, skin with a heavy outdoorsman’s tan(I.e. arms and above the neck). Has thick wiry black hair, and a heavy growth of beard. Dresses in lumberjack’s outfit of heavy woolen cap, jeans(often with suspenders, and heavy boots.
Disposition:
Rough around the edges, tough guy with a rustic sense of humor, a he-man’s appreciation for the simple pleasures of life, and a rather bad temper. Bunyan is also capable of displaying considerable friendliness and charm, but he also tends to be condescendingly patronizing towards smaller people. Likes to be helpful(especially if asked nicely), but tends to take a straightforward, brute-force approach to solving problems, with little thought to long-term consequences(he may, for instance, dam up a river to facilitate a log rafting operation, and not realize who he’s flooding out further down the river when the dam lets go). Don’t even try to talk to him about “soil erosion”, or “conservation”....it’s way beyond him. Also has trouble conceiving of life outside timbering; while he is aware of Indians and other peoples, he just can’t see them and their cultures as anything other than interesting curiosities, and he cannot see any link between them and his own activities.
Fairly tolerant towards non-humans, but is just as likely to mistake particularly unusual-looking beings for particularly ugly vermin, and any non-humans joining his camp, while readily accepted, are likely to be hung with some oddball, or slightly derogatory, nickname like “Noze”, “Snoky”, “Half-Pint”(as in Dwarf), etc.... Notably partial towards beings of Scandinavian descent(many of his human cutting crews were Norwegian or Swedish immigrants) no matter how funny-looking, so a non-human is likely to get more attention and respect if they can pass themselves off as Scandinavians.
Physical Attributes/Superlatives:
IQ: 10
ME: 18
MA:24
PS: 70(supernatural)
PP: 20
PE: 30
PB: 10
SPD: 45
(ISP): None
(PPE): 500
Hit Points: 400 HP
SDC:1,000 SDC(Non-MDC worlds)
MDC:10,000( 3,000 MDC on Rifts Earth)
Horror/Awe Factor: 12
Natural Abilities:
Regenerate 4d6 MD per minute
Magic: Paul Bunyan instinctively knows a number of _Earth Element Warlock_ spells that he uses to alter the landscape around him. All of the following are performed at a 15th level of mastery:
Identify Minerals
Locate Minerals
Dowsing
Rock to Mud
Create Mound
Dig
Chasm
Grow Plants---It is unknown if Bunyan is consciously aware of this ability of his; it seems to be always on. As a result, the plant life around him always seems to be larger and lusher than anyway else(before its cut down, of course). Some analysts of supernatural beings think that this spell is evidence of Bunyan’s efforts to appease the environmentalists out for his head, others feel that Bunyan sees the lush plant growth around him and is deluded into thinking that there are limitless reserves of timber and that his work has no effect on the ecosystem...unaware that it is his own supernatural nature that fuels the plant growth.

Psionics: None

Level of Experience: Equivalent to 10th level Wilderness Scout

Skills of Note: Pilot Boat, Boat Building, Math: Basic, Language/Literacy: (American-English, Swedish, French, Norwegian), Carpentry, Blacksmithing, Land Navigation, Wilderness Survival, Identify Plants and Fruits 98%, Hunting. Geology 80%,. Hand to Hand: Expert, Boxing, Wrestling, Swimming 90%, WP Ax, WP Chain, WP Blunt, WP Rifle/Shotgun

Combat Bonuses: +7 save vs Horror Factor, +9 save vs magic, +2 save vs psionics,+5 strike, +8 parry/dodge, +5 pull/roll with punch,+45 to SDC damage.
Combat:
Actions/Attacks per Melee: Six
Restrained Punch---2d4 MD
Full Strength Punch---2d4x10 MD
Power Punch-----4d4x10 MD
Stomp---1d6x10 MD
Kick---2d4x10 MD
Body Block/Throw/Tackle---1d4x10 MD plus victim loses initiative and one attack
Crush/Squeeze: 1d4x10 MD

Enemies: Indians, environmentalists, wilderness monsters, Millennium Trees
The goddess Artemis has warned Bunyan that he ever comes near the forests of Europe, she’ll stick him full of arrows. It can be safely assumed that Native American gods and goddesses are out to get him as well.

Allies: Babe, the Blue Ox. Settlers, loggers, and miners. Paul Bunyan also has a 3,000+ man logging camp crew(effectively an army), mostly 1-5th level vagabonds and wilderness scouts, but with a few mutants(with superpowers like Superhuman Strength, Extraordinary Endurance, Bad Attitude, and Invulnerability---they made them tough in the good ‘ole days)and lots of sharp tools.
During one of his early visits to Scandinavia, Bunyan met the Norse god Thor, and the two exchanged pleasantries, but no more. However, Bunyan thinks the two could get along famously, and he’d just love to test the Thunder God’s strength in a wrestling match, or a hammer and axe contest of skill. Thor is aware of this, and hopes to oblige the young giant with a test of strength, confident that he can wipe the floor with the young American upstart(Incidentally, reports of the two meeting have fueled some obscure rumors that Bunyan may be Thor’s bastard child, sired in an illicit affair with a giantess, or an Indian spirit during Lief Erickson’s exploration of North America).
Loki, on the other hand, would love to trick Bunyan into, say, pruning Yggdrasil... He’s also toyed with the idea of fooling Thor and the giant Hrungnir with the tale that Bunyan is Hrungnir’s bastard...just to see Bunyan caught up in the war between Asgardians and Giants.....adding a New World element to the entertainment...

Equipment/Possessions:
Double-bladed Ax---Bunyan’s favorite weapon is this enormous black-metal axe, that is really, whether he is aware of it or not, a greater rune weapon! When Bunyan gets to whirling this thing over his head, lightning flashing, most intelligent beings take cover!
IQ: 10
Damage: 2d6x10 MD
Magic: Elemental Magic(Air)( 4 times per day,equivalent to 6th level Warlock)
Call Lightning, Whirlwind, Electrical Field, Electro-Magnetism

Chain Axe---An enormous double-bladed axe mounted on a 100 ft long chain, designed for sweep cutting entire stretches of forest(no selective cutting here). Used in battle, the Chain axe allows Bunyan to smash large bodies of enemies, and to catch them in a back-and-forth sweep. Does 4d6x10 MD slash damage

Shotgun 0’ Doom----This is a Bunyan-scale double-barrel shotgun-----which is to say, it’s an artillery piece that would only be found on wet-navy battleships. The only good thing about this weapon is that it takes Bunyan a full melee to reload one of the barrels(2 melees to fully reload), giving potential targets a chance to say a few Hail Marys or give the prayer wheel an extra spin. The gun also gives off a sonic boom similar to a Boom Gun’s(with regard to effects, but with an area of effect 4 times as large) and a recoil so tremendous, it knocks back even Paul Bunyan 20-30 feet. .
Bunyan has been known to use this Armageddon gun on supernatural intelligences(he once blasted a Goqua into well-deserved oblivion with a double-barreled blast of rock salt) and annoyances like Death’s Head Transports.
Range: 2 miles
Damage: 1d4x100 MD per barrel
Rate of Fire: Limited to one or two shots per melee
Payload: 2 shots

Money: Bunyan really doesn’t deal with the money-end of operations in his camp, leaving the figuring to his accountants, but he can be assumed to have the equivalent of several million credits available to him for buying personal equipment, special projects, and loans to his lumberjacks.

Babe the Blue Ox
This giant mutant ox is clearly a product of magic mutation; the animal fairly shimmers with blue psychic energies, and can unleash ley line storms and earthquakes with a snort and a stomp. Its been opined that Babe actually feeds off magic energy; otherwise the giant steer would have grazed off the entire continent with his feed demands. The strength of this beast is colossal; Babe could easily pull a battleship across the continent, let alone the sleds of lumber his master cuts down. Not very fast, but tough as an...yeah, well, you know what Babe is...Babe can knock over and trample most robots and send the other types running. Its even rumored that Babe once tried to gore Odin’s horse Slepnir, while visiting Europe, over a patch of particularly fine grazing pasture.....this tale remains unconfirmed.
Height: 80 ft at the shoulder, 200 ft long
Weight: 80 tons
Physical Description:
Disposition: Ornery and stubborn. Can be quite friendly and outright warm if looking for a scratch or a handout, or if dealing with children and other vulnerable types(who are also likely to give him a pat, scratch, or handout) but can turn violent at a moment’s notice. Really only respects Paul Bunyan(the only one able to wrestle him into the ground).
IQ:5 (High animal intelligence)
ME: 10
MA: 10
PS: 90(supernatural)
PP:10
PE: 50
PB: 5
SPD: Can run at 100 MPH
(ISP): none
(PPE):300
Hit Points: 500
SDC: 500(Non-MDC worlds)
MDC:12,000(4,000 on Rifts Earth)
Horror/Awe Factor: 13
Natural Abilities:
Because of Babe’s magical nature, magical attacks do HALF damage to the shimmering blue animal; the energy is simply absorbed by the critter.
Babe’s bellow acts in the same way as a Boom Gun’s sonic boom, with regard to hearing damage and disorientation. Can roar once per melee.
Magic: Summon Ley Line Storm---Once a day, Babe can unleash a Ley Line Storm, covering 1 square mile and lasting 3d6 melees. Babe is completely unaffected by Ley-Line Storms.
Value: If Babe were sold as a slave, he could easily fetch hundreds of millions of credits in places such as Splynn...of course, there would then remain the issue of taming the beast(not bloody likely).
There’s also a market for Babe’s dung, which seems to have almost magical properties in accelerating plant growth...A small company, Blue Ox Fertilizer, rumored to be a subsidiary of the Bunyan Lumber Company, sells the manure for 500 credits per 100 lb bag.
Skills of Note: Swimming 45%
Combat Bonuses:
4 attacks per melee
Kick 1d6x10 MD
Stomp 6d6 MD
Hindquarter Kick(2 attacks) 4d6x10 MD
Body Block/Tackle 3d6x10 MD
Head Butt
Gore: 1d4x10 MD
Bite: 6d6 MD
Enemies: Intelligent plant life, environmentalists, Native Americans
Allies: Paul Bunyan
Equipment/Possessions: None

Hels Hanson
Hels Hanson is worthy of note: He’s Paul Bunyan’s work crew foreman and therefore likely to lead up any force of Bunyan’s minions against his enemies. Hels Hanson is also a giant, though he’s a mere 25 ft tall. Hanson makes up for this, though, in being a hot-tempered psychotic. Without daily doses of a mineral called ‘snoose’(a material with the natural volatility of nitroglycerine---and possibly a form of red phosphorus), Hels quickly degenerates into a psychotic state that can quickly boil over into a full-scale berserker rage. With a full head of steam, it’s been told, Hels has even punched out Bunyan(though he was months in recuperating afterwards, both from the damage he did to his arms, and the subsequent beating Bunyan handed him afterwards).
This has fueled speculation, given Hanson’s ethnic background, that he may be a minor Nordic Berserker deity, or a rather human-looking Gigante(or unusually tall Jotan). Whatever, Hels Hanson is best avoided.
Hels is also somewhat more pragmatic than Paul Bunyan when it comes to technology; while Bunyan shuns high-tech armor and weapon, Hels has been known to wear a suit of heavy MDC armor and tote around heavy weapons like railguns and plasma cannon when his boss isn’t looking.
Height: 25 ft
Weight: 1000 lbs
Physical Description: A tall. muscular built humanoid with short scruffy blonde hair(buzz-cut), a craggy, pug-ugly face, and glaring (often bloodshot) eyes). Often has a dusting of bristles on his face. Large hands, with calloused knuckles(gets a lot of use).
Disposition: Gruff, mean-tempred, doesn’t suffer fools gladly. Badass who just happens to be extremely efficient and well-organized, but tends to try to manage things HIS way. Will gladly take second-place under someone else, but only so long as its evident that other person can whip his ass when he gets out of control.
IQ: 9
ME: 10
MA:10
PS: 30
PP:18
PE: 25
PB:9
SPD:25
(ISP): None
(PPE):80
Hit Points: 150
SDC:210(Non-MDC worlds)
MDC:210
Horror/Awe Factor: 13
Natural Abilities:
Berserk----Without a dose of Snoose once every 24 hours, Hanson begins to get twitchy, irritable, and mean tempered,. At the end of 48 hours, his hostility index rises to critical, and any disturbance has a 30% chance of setting him off into a Berserker state. At the end of 72 hours without snoose, he will go into a full-blown Berserk.
When Berserk, Hanson is +6 to save versus horror factor, +1 to initiative, +1 strike, parry, and dodge, and has an additional attack per melee. He is also +6 to physical strength(PS), +10 to save vs all types of mind control and illusions, +8 save vs magic, and +8 vs psionic attack. However, all skills are performed at -60%.
Despite many appeals, Bunyan has never attempted to get Hels into any sort of drug rehab program; to put it bluntly, he likes Hels a little crazy and hot under the collar.
Magic: None
Level of Experience: 9th level Wilderness Scout
Skills of Note:
Carpentry. Hand to Hand: Expert. Boxing, Athletics, Wrestling, Basic Mechanics, WP Blunt, WP Whip, WP Axe, WP Energy Heavy, WP Heavy
Combat Bonuses:
5 attacks per melee
+5 strike
+8 parry and dodge
+15 to damage
+5 roll with impact/punch
+4 pull punch
+5 save vs poison/magic
+4 save vs horror factor
Restrained Punch 5d6 SDC
Full Strength Punch 3d6 MD
Power Punch(2 APMs) 6d6 MD
Kick 3d6 MD
Stomp 1d4 MD
Body Block/Tackle 1d4 MD
Enemies: Anyone who gets in his way
Allies: Paul Bunyan
Equipment/Possessions of Note:
Heavy MDC Armor: Hels has a suit of UT Titan Armor(195 MDC) specially made for his oversized frame. He is also very enthusiastic about heavy weaponry and has a collection of rail guns, plasma cannons, rocket launchers, and probably a subscription to the Big Gun of the Month club. In fact, when he’s not terrorizing employees, expect to find him out removing stumps with his latest high-caliber toys. His favorite melee weapon, however, is a Gargoyle Blast Whip he acquired in Germany.

Bunyan’s Lumbering Camp
Paul Bunyan has a 3,000+ man logging camp crew(effectively an army), mostly 1-5th level vagabonds and wilderness scouts, but with a few mutants(with superpowers like Superhuman Strength, Extraordinary Endurance, Bad Attitude, and Invulnerability---they made them tough in the good ‘ole days)and lots of sharp tools, heavy vehicles, and big guns. Consider these guys to be a real bunch of Real Men(few, if any, women have been observed in the camp)(GMs...feel free to counter these guys with Real Environmentalists---nothing like getting the adventurers caught in an automatic weapons-and-chainsaws firefight between the Timber Industry and the Greeners).
The camp is highly mobile and Bunyan can have his people packed up and ready to move in a day or so. They can be found just about anywhere; if there isn’t timber to be had, they’ll settle down to strip-mining or other environmentally conscious activity to pass the time.

Formatted as a Mercenary Company, Paul Bunyan’s camp is as follows:
Size: Equivalent to Mercenary Army 3,000-5,000 members(300 pts, plus 20 for budget/weaponry, and 20 pts for outfits)
A.Sponsorship: Independents(+10 pts)
B.Outfits---Specialty Clothing(20 pts)---All of Bunyan’s workers are issued working clothing suitable to the job; rugged heavy-duty wear, hardhats, protective equipment, etc. Special outfits, from swampsuits and arctic gear, to radiation suits(for mining the neutronum spike forests of Spiny IV) to spacesuits are available for those special jobs
C.Equipment---Unlimited Equipment(50 pts)---Has the full range of support gear and equipment, including a fully-staffed clinic(for those times when the chainsaw don’t go where it’s supposed to).
D.Vehicles Specialty(30 pts)---Bunyan’s vehicle garage includes special lumbering and mining vehicles. If in an off-planet setting, will have access to a few run-down heavy transport freighters and trampers.
E.Weapons, Power Armor, and ‘Bots--Extensive(40 pts)--Bunyan’s people tend to well-armed and equipped. Favorite weapons include bladed weapons---vibroblades, axes, and chainsaws, but also expect to find plasma cannon, laser cutters/cannon, and explosives(for obstacle clearance, naturally)
F.Communications: Full range(15 pts)
G. Internal Security: Tight(10 pts)---It’s a working camp, so security isn’t what it could be, but there is the threat of monsters, monkeywrenchers, hayduker environmentalists, and Real Men getting into fights, so there is a strong security presence.
H.Permanent Bases: None---Frequently moves his base of operations with few, if any permanent facilities(mostly rented warehouses and the occasional recruiting/business office). The Mobile Camp itself would count as a Company Town(40 pts) on wheels.
I. Intelligence Resources: Scout Detachment(5 pts)---Bunyan typically has a few wandering bands of scouts out hunting or looking for new lands to exploit
J.Special Budget: Large Loans(25 pts) ---Up to a million credits are available for special work and assignments.
K.General Alignment: Anarchist and Unprincipled(4 pts)---Most of Bunyan’s people are hard-workin’ folk trying to make a living off the land and sending money home to the family.
L.Criminal Activity: None really aimed at those outside the camp, but given the rogues and rough-and-tumble types making up Bunyan’s camp, expect there to be some rather crooked floating card-games, and more than a few camp followers with a penchant for trouble. Equiv. to Con Man and Prostitutes(10 pts)
M: Reputation/Creditials: (In)Famous(50 pts)...Bunyan is well-known, legendary in fact. Many community leaders will hire him to clear land and exploit local resources, and wink at any infarctions or suspect business practices.
N. Salary: Good(10 pts)

Paul Bunyan’s Mobile Camp
It’s worth noting that Paul Bunyan’s camp is made up of modular mobile structures that can be either quickly folded up and towed, or quickly jacked up on wheels/runners and hitched together to form an enormous ‘train” for movement. Traditionally, Babe the Blue Ox did the hauling, but Bunyan has been known to lend a hand, or use heavy hauler engines when the camp must be separated into one or more “trains”. Some of the modular buildings in Bunyan’s traveling camp can be quite impressive; Bunyan has invested in a modular barracks system in which the separate housing modules can be rearranged or stacked to form multistory complexes if needed . All barracks/living modules have independent life support and emergency power, and have from 400-800 MDC per floor. Typical warehousing and support structures will have from 100-500 MDC. The Mobile Camp snakes along for over three miles and typically moves at about 25 MPH.

The Great Griddle

“It was horrible...for miles the air was choking with the smell of bacon fat, cooking sausage, and cornmeal....like the kitchen of a giant greasy spoon...normally we wouldn’t have minded it, but we were doing some trackin’, and most of us hadn’t had much more than a nibble of hardtack and a sip of water while on the trail. Plus our DogBoy sniffer, who was leadin’ us, went half out of ‘er mind and lost the trail!”
-Eddie Morris, deputy, Cascatown constabulary.

The Great Griddle is another thing worthy of mention. For some obscure reason, Bunyan’s men run off a traditional breakfast fare of eggs, sausage, and ...flapjacks. Those who survive months of this cholesterol-heavy diet without blowing an artery are Real Men with a reserved spot in the camp. In order to make the massive amounts of pancakes the giant camp requires, Paul reasoned, a giant cast iron griddle was needed.
This massive disk of magically hardened iron(8,000 MDC) measures a full half-mile across and weighs in excess of 1,000 tons. Paul Bunyan is the only one who can move the massive thing, rolling it on its edge like an enormous tire. Heating up the thing requires conveyor-belts of coal and firewood to feed its firepits. Greasing it requires teams of boys skating on sides of bacon fat(cholesterol has never been a concern of Bunyan’s Real Men). Pancake mixture is poured onto the griddle from overhead line buckets and sluice gates, the cooking mixture flipped with strategically placed charges of explosives. All in all, a pretty impressive amount of effort to go to for the morning stack and syrup.
Why not just build dozens of conventional steam tables? Because the easy way lacks the big, ludicrous, impressive extravagance of American Legend.
More practically, to the adventurer who just HAS to run across the griddle during an encounter with Paul Bunyan and his crew, one should be careful of some points.
One, the griddle’s greased surface is slippery, and characters must make a balance roll every melee they’re in motion, or lose their footing. Giant robots must make a control roll at -15%.
Second, the sputtering and steaming surface of the griddle is hot. Falling against it does 1d6 SDC to exposed flesh.
Other dangers include smothering in batter, getting entangled in, or coated by batter(particularly hard on sensitive sensory equipment and optics) and being caught by one of the dynamite charges(4d6 SDC, or 1d4 MD for megadamage beings). There’s also the danger of being caught by the camp cooks, who are likely to be rather excited by these weirdoes running across their griddle. Taking a flying tour of Paul Bunyan’s mess tents with a mob of cleaver-waving maniacs in hot pursuit can make the players wish they’d stumbled into some other American folktale instead...like, say, _Star Trek_.
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Suggestions that haven't been hit:
Elvis's Jumpsuit (or make it an ensemble of his stuff to assemble to get the power).

How about the Winchester Home (IIRC) as an ghost trap since the place was built to confuse ghosts

Alaskan Bridge to No Where now goes somewhere (only it works now as a dimensional bridge/shift/etc for those who actually walk on it, sorry no floating/flying). Maybe create/use other "bridges" to no where (or not no where) closer than Alaska.

Enola Gay B-29 Bomber (it drops bombs, that have to be provided, that are far more powerful than suggested as it became magically charged from all the PPE from the atom bomb it released), it's sister plane that dropped the 2nd bomb in WW2 (I don't know if this one is still around off hand).

B.D Cooper's parachute, allows one to disappear without a trace (teleport, inter- or intra- dimensionally? or a permanent metamorphosis) when you pull the rip cord.
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:Suggestions that haven't been hit:
Elvis's Jumpsuit (or make it an ensemble of his stuff to assemble to get the power).

How about the Winchester Home (IIRC) as an ghost trap since the place was built to confuse ghosts.

Pity the poor bastard who opens the door and lets them out... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:How about the Winchester Home (IIRC) as an ghost trap since the place was built to confuse ghosts

Winchester Mystery House in San Jose CA.

Been there many times. Fascinating place, both for the Winchester museum and the house itself. Always thought it would make a good FPS map.

While on the tour, a woman took a photo of the dining table. Near the end of the tour she was flipping though her pictures and low and behold, the way the light was coming in, it certainly looked like an apparition was sitting at the table. You could see hair, a face, and a silhouette of what most people in the group said was to be an elderly woman. Was it Sara Winchester? Was it just a glare of light coming in through the window? Only you can decide.

The séance room definitely had a very eerie feeling in there. Easily can be a Nexus Point where entities can be contacted and/or flow through as far as game mechanics are concerned.

That being said, both the Ghost Hunters and the Ghost Adventurers have been there, and neither really found anything, but the feeling of eeriness in the seance room as well as that picture I saw sure made me think otherwise.
Updated Aug 2015
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Kagashi

That's the place I was thinking of, I just wasn't sure.

I've seen the Ghost Adventure one on the Travel Channel, that is why I thought of the place as it was said to be designed to confuse spirits. In Rifts, it could act as a giant Ghost Trap, probably more like the Ghost Busters containment unit than their portable traps, unless you move the house (which isn't very practical off hand).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Here's a few more:

The Statue of Liberty as a magic based statue (likely could do something with other statues to):
-Rune Statue
-Iron Golem Ritual (I know what the description says, but the sheer size I think would necessitate an increase in some of the stats if someone attempted it, defiantly need to increase the PPE cost), possibly finally activating
-Automoton (sp) from WB16, give it independence (as WB16 suggests might be happening) style
-Iron Juggernaut (I'm not quite sure if the IJs are supposed to be the tech equivalent of a Cyborgs or piloted like a PA/Vehicle/'bot based on their description in the Book of Magic) style

Heffner's trademark Playboy Pajamas.

Moon Rocks recovered by the various space programs, including NASA, might become magically active with the increase in PPE and act in odd ways (not just the Stone Master, but possibly others influenced by the Moon's light).
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:Moon Rocks recovered by the various space programs, including NASA, might become magically active with the increase in PPE and act in odd ways (not just the Stone Master, but possibly others influenced by the Moon's light).

Moonrock Golems!
Or else, they'd make incredible components in a TW device. Powers over creatures of the night, maybe? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:Here's a few more:

The Statue of Liberty as a magic based statue (likely could do something with other statues to):
-Rune Statue
-Iron Golem Ritual (I know what the description says, but the sheer size I think would necessitate an increase in some of the stats if someone attempted it, defiantly need to increase the PPE cost), possibly finally activating
-Automoton (sp) from WB16, give it independence (as WB16 suggests might be happening) style
-Iron Juggernaut (I'm not quite sure if the IJs are supposed to be the tech equivalent of a Cyborgs or piloted like a PA/Vehicle/'bot based on their description in the Book of Magic) style

Heffner's trademark Playboy Pajamas.

Moon Rocks recovered by the various space programs, including NASA, might become magically active with the increase in PPE and act in odd ways (not just the Stone Master, but possibly others influenced by the Moon's light).

Oh, yeah...iconic statues. Like Vulcan in Birmingham Alabama.

Although, the Statue of Liberty might speak with a French accent.
Updated Aug 2015
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Kitty Hawk

NICE!
:ok:

The Golden Spike, Johnny Appleseed's seedbag, and the Kitty Hawk especially.

USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier? Or do you mean the location the Wright brothers flew at?
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
taalismn
Priest

The whole of the nuclear aircraft carrier Enterprise for that matter...now that she's no longer in active service...figure she spends some time in reserve, then at the height of the Golden Age, somebody gets her as a museum ship. :bandit:

But she may be too 'modern' to qualify for magic or folklore status.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:Although, the Statue of Liberty might speak with a French accent.

Brooklyn-French given all the time its been in NY?

taalismn wrote:Moonrock Golems!
Or else, they'd make incredible components in a TW device. Powers over creatures of the night, maybe?

Had not thought of TW specifically, though given the spell-gem relationship between TW and Stone Magic's Gem powers... Was thinking more of harmful effects to creatures afraid of the Moon (treated as a symbol of Lunar god/goddess), but power over creatures of the night could work.

I'm not sure if there would be enough to make a Golem though (unless Golden Age Earth brought back large sums of additional material, which is possible given MiO).
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

The Coral Castle would be an interesting one too.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:AlexanderD's recent request for "ancient mystical lost treasures" got me thinking.
America may be young as a nation by most standards, but we still have a pretty rich history and plenty of strictly American folklore and customs.
One thing that bugs me in movies and TV shows is that whenever there's a powerful magical artifact, or creature/monster, or spell, or whatever, it's virtually NEVER American in origin. It's always European, or Asian, or African, or from pretty much any other place on the planet. Or from space.
And if it IS from America, it's always tied in to the Native Americans in some way. It's one of their legends (real or made up for the story), or their monsters, etc.
Personally, I'd like to see more stuff that taps into the history of the United States itself.

A couple of good examples of the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of would be in the early seasons of the TV show Supernatural.
The first example being the giant pentagram railway, and the second being the demon-slaying revolver made by Samuel Colt.

In this thread, I'd like to see some write-ups or ideas for Rifts artifacts/monsters/whatever that originate in the old United States.
Nothing that originates with Native American lore.
And, for the love of God, nothing that has anything to do with Roanoke, just because that's been done to death, re-animated, then done to death again.
Also, something fairly balanced, something proportional with the setting and system would be desired. It can be more powerful than average, but it shouldn't put Greatest Rune Weapons to shame, or make the Old Ones quake in their boots.

Here's one example of the kind of thing I'm looking for:

Old Bang-All
This .48 caliber long rifle was owned by legendary keelboatmen, fur trapper, and hell-raiser, Mike Fink. Fink was an incredible sharpshooter, quite possibly the only man to ever beat Davy Crockett in a shooting match (although some say this was because of Crockett's reluctance to point his weapon in the direction of a female). Fink's reliable Pennsylvania flintlock only failed him once, resulting in the death of a beloved friend, William Carpenter. After this tragic event, they say that Fink threw down his rifle and cursed it.
Fink's own life seemed cursed as well from that point on, as many people believed that Fink's shooting of Carpenter was deliberate, a falling out over a woman. Shortly thereafter, Fink was shot and killed by Levi Talbot, in retaliation for Carpenter's death. Talbot later drowned in a river.
Fink's rifle was lost to time, for the most part, after the shooting of Carpenter. It has turned up in the hands of collectors occasionally, only to disappear again after tragic events. After the Coming of the Rifts, the boost in magical energy seems to have enhanced the weapon, turning it into a powerful artifact.

honestly, i'd have expected "Old betsy", Davy Crockett's famous .40cal Flintlock.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, i'd have expected "Old betsy", Davy Crockett's famous .40cal Flintlock.

And THAT is why I did something else. :p

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Killer Cyborg wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, i'd have expected "Old betsy", Davy Crockett's famous .40cal Flintlock.

could have both. of course, David Crockett (he hated being called davy) had 3 guns. a .48cal flintlock called 'Betsy', the one he used growing up. "old Betsy", which he got in 1820 after a stint in politics, and "beautiful betsy", a .40cal percussion lock which he took with him to the Alamo.
the first two are currently in museums, the last in private hands.
you could toss a really good to strike bonus onto them, but have the owner start taking on David Crockett's laid back, wilderness loving personality.

of course, with NPC's, you could go one step further and have the personalities of the former owner take over.. so "mike fink" would basically possess the person who owned the gun.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

could have both. of course, David Crockett (he hated being called davy) had 3 guns. a .48cal flintlock called 'Betsy', the one he used growing up. "old Betsy", which he got in 1820 after a stint in politics, and "beautiful betsy", a .40cal percussion lock which he took with him to the Alamo.
the first two are currently in museums, the last in private hands.
you could toss a really good to strike bonus onto them, but have the owner start taking on David Crockett's laid back, wilderness loving personality.

Sounds good.
Care to write it up? :D

of course, with NPC's, you could go one step further and have the personalities of the former owner take over.. so "mike fink" would basically possess the person who owned the gun.

Not a bad idea, especially if one were to have both guns in one campaign.

Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

I had a BUNCH of American magic and artifacts put together when I was working on BTS: Arcanum that would have dovetailed well into Rifts. Well, 7 or 8 years ago when i was writing it, that is...

I ran a BTS game at GenCon 2005 set in the 1930 Smithsonian that played on the concept of American history and magics. So, work had been done in that direction, just none of it has been published.
Insert 400 character limit here.
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:[
I'm not sure if there would be enough to make a Golem though (unless Golden Age Earth brought back large sums of additional material, which is possible given MiO).

I was thinking more than if a moon rock was tossed in among regular terrestrial rocks on a night of a full moon (and perhaps another condition or incantation tossed in, or a drop of blood) the lunar rocks serve as the core of a stone golem that forms up around the moon rock.
The golem so produced might also have certain lunar powers or influence over/against lycanthropes.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

mickeyknox77 wrote:2. John Wilks Booth's magic rifle that fires "magic bullets"

Booth used a derringer. Do you mean Lee Harvey Oswald? Come to think of it...assassins all have three names...I wonder when Edward James Olmos is going to crack.

mickeyknox77 wrote:Pop Culture icons (MJs glove)
:shock: Perhaps when you wear it, you become a "Smooth Criminal" and get 98% to pick pockets, prowl, and concealment.
Updated Aug 2015
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

mickeyknox77 wrote:3. Jimi Hendrix's Left Handed Stratocaster capable of using "musical summoning magic"

No.

For reference, please read the 'Lancer's Rockers' supplement for the Robotech RPG.

Just no.

ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

The 50 Caliber BAR that Clyde used (currently in the MO Highway Patrol museum, Jefferson City MO) - Turns its SDC bullets into MD.
Daniel Boone's Coonskin Cap +1 to Strike using single fire.
Daniel Boone's Dresser +50% to Conceal anything put in it (it has like 5 or 6 hidden compartments and the drawers themselves can be flipped upside down to hide what is in them).
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ZorValachan wrote:The 50 Caliber BAR that Clyde used (currently in the MO Highway Patrol museum, Jefferson City MO) - Turns its SDC bullets into MD.
Daniel Boone's Coonskin Cap +1 to Strike using single fire.
Daniel Boone's Dresser +50% to Conceal anything put in it (it has like 5 or 6 hidden compartments and the drawers themselves can be flipped upside down to hide what is in them).

I was under the impression the BAR is .30-06. Was his modified? I know it was cut down to aid in concealment, but was his modified for .50? (seriously asking)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1918_Brow ... atic_Rifle
Updated Aug 2015
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Carrot Top's preserved Scalp.
Wearing it as a hat gives the user a Horror Factor of 19.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Kagashi wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:The 50 Caliber BAR that Clyde used (currently in the MO Highway Patrol museum, Jefferson City MO) - Turns its SDC bullets into MD.

I was under the impression the BAR is .30-06. Was his modified? I know it was cut down to aid in concealment, but was his modified for .50? (seriously asking)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1918_Brow ... atic_Rifle

he used a stock BAR. he got them from robbing national guard armories. the BAR is obscure enough, and bulky enough, many people overestimate the caliber it uses.

and why would it turn it's bullets into MD? Bonnie and Clyde weren't known for their guns individual power. they were known for their ability to escape arrest and their willingness to have shootouts with the cops. if anything that BAR should reload automatically from the player's supply or something, their volume of fire was most notable in their career and they had a lot of talent in obtaining new guns and ammo.

IMO one of the more interesting aspects of this idea of pre-rifts artifacts with hidden abilities is making do with less. they shouldn't be MDC. they shouldn't make you powerful. they should be roleplay focused items.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”