Rifts: Yökai

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Rifts: Yökai

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Eh, can't do the macron for some reason on my computer. But, how about a few articles returning to Japan? There were general rules for making random Oni (Demons/Ogres/no real correlation), but what about an article or three featuring some of their weirder monsters/spirits/thingamabobs, as magic creatures of D-Bees.

A brief, off the top of my head is a "Yökai Plague/Parasite" spread throughout Japan during the initial years of the Great Cataclysm. By the time of the modern PA calendar, they initial "pure" parasites (their deadliest, most controlling form) have died out naturally, but left their "imprint" on the infected and their descendants. A list of strange powers (prehensile hair, elongating body parts), odd physical mutations (a second mouth on the back of the head, underneath the hair... which also has it's own voice), and possible insanities & compulsive behaviors.

Some would have become outright monsters, others just "freaks" trying to live with an semi-symbiote.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Rifts: Yökai

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I'd love to see it. More on Japan is always good, but I'll not be able to get to working on Japan 2 until the end of 2013.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

bar1scorpio wrote: But, how about a few articles returning to Japan?

I put it down to that Erik W. was to be writting RJ2. And those that would of done anything for the rifters respected him, so did not put anything forth. And now...both those that would of done the writing of such articals have moved on to other things, and E.W. Died, there has been no-one.

However, as much as I like his early work, his work on the Rifts Chinas tuned me off. And is not sad he didn't get to RC3 and RJ2.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Galactus Kid

RC3 is being worked on by Greg Diazyk
RJ2 is being worked on by Brandon K. Aten and Matthew Orr.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I did say "was to be." And I was talking about Rifter articals as per what forum we are in.

But thank you for the Heads up. Do you happen to know how much of RJ2 is done? or will be put of the "coming soon" list? If you 'don't know', or 'can't tell' would rather those answers then a lie.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I would like to see an article include stuff about Rifts:Earth tamagotchi's. :badbad:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Galactus Kid

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I did say "was to be." And I was talking about Rifter articals as per what forum we are in.

But thank you for the Heads up. Do you happen to know how much of RJ2 is done? or will be put of the "coming soon" list? If you 'don't know', or 'can't tell' would rather those answers then a lie.

I was just providing some insight as to the current state of the projects, not saying you were wrong in your assessment.

1) Now, there was at least one article on Rifts Japan that dealt with the Yakuza and it was awesome. I truly enjoyed it and will be using it in my Japan games.

2) I know Erick had a bunch of notes and stuff written for China 3 which Kevin has stated publicly before. Many, myself included really like the China books, but with his passing, the setting feels alittle incomplete. I think that Greg will knock it out of the park.

3) I'm not sure exactly just how much of a hand Erick had with Rifts Japan and I've nevr heard or been told that he was involved with Japan 2. I've presented ideas to Kevin and he has stated that he wants me and Matthew to run with it.

4) As for complete timeframe, I'm not certain. I probably won't be able to start real true work on it until late 2013.

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I should mention that there was an excellent fat article on Yokai submitted to the Rifter Zero project. This particular article was set for BtS so the monsters may or may not be present in Rifts Japan.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Lord Z wrote:I should mention that there was an excellent fat article on Yokai submitted to the Rifter Zero project. This particular article was set for BtS so the monsters may or may not be present in Rifts Japan.

Thanks for the kind words. I could see all of them being in Rifts Japan but only did S.D.C. stats.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”