How do you Create a Character?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What comes first?

Choose and stat out your Race and OCC, then create a backstory to suit.
60%
Create a backstory, then choose and stat out your Race and OCC to suit.
40%

Total votes: 68

Giant2005
Knight

How do you Create a Character?

Unread post by Giant2005 »

As per the poll, I'd be interested in finding out how the average player's creative process works.
I can see reasons for doing it either way but I'm sure each player has their own static style.

Personally, I stat the character, take a look at what I have and then create that character's backstory.

I do that because I find it creates a greater challenge and often adds more character by imposing the statstical limitations. I find it akin to creative writing at school - I always found more joy when given a picture and having to explain how that character got to that point or how that situation arose as opposed to having the freedom to define all the points of a story from A to B. Essentially, I am limiting myself to a static conclusion (B) and defining the journey to that point.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Re: How do you Create a Character?

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Usually I do it the first way but after one of DarklordDC's Images involving one of my characters and her "companions" I statted them all up and wrote backstories for them all.

Most of the time I find that I can make up some really interesting characters from their race/skills and stats. Then I try to write a background that's interesting and then I make an Image of the character.

If said character really works I throw money at DarklordDC.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I usually pick a fancy OCC that I know will enjoy playing and then think about a back story to pick skills and while getting it's habilities. It's a kind paral·lel process.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

I have done both.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Both, it really depends on the moment.
Sometimes may already have an idea, sometimes don't have anything until after.
Last edited by Gamer on Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

It depends on the needs of my group.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I must say, I am surprised at the results of this thread.
I was quite sure that the results would be going to opposite way.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I first decide the role I expect to play within the party.

Then I choose an OCC that is interesting to me that I think can suit the role.

Then I choose a race based on the expected setting, power level, and GM constraints.

Then I pick the character's name. For some reason, this influences everything else that comes after.

Then I start to flesh out the backstory, usually with guidance from the GM.

Then I choose skills and equipment.

Then, finally, I roll up stats and calculate final skill levels and bonuses.

--flatline
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I used to pick race and OCC first, but then I switched it around to backstory first and have been much happier since. This is probably due to the fact that when I write out the background it fleshes out the character and consequently the OCC I want to play as. Also, it helps avoid the OCCs that sound cool on the surface but in reality are exceptionally boring to play as, such as a number of the mercenary OCCs that focus on nothing but combat.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Listen to music usually. I tend to pop my ipod on and listen to my songs until an idea hits me. Then I'll construct the backstory from there and then roll up the character. I'll generally roll up three stat blocks and choose the one that matchs the character idea the best.
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

I used to start by choosing an occ and race, rolling up stats, choosing skills, and then creating a backstory.

I've found, however, that I prefer to start with a character concept (which includes race and occ), then create a backstory, and then choose skills and stat the character last though sometimes i have to modify the backstory to fit the stats (it takes longer but it makes for some interesting characters).
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Backstory first, then I know who, or what it is I'm playing.

Then Stats.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'll choose an OOC first and race. Then I stop and work up the back story/history, so I'll know WHO I'm playing. Then I roll and choose skills to fit that.

If my rolls are abjectly different from the back story, I'll either modify the back story a bit, or I'll admit, roll over. If I've got a 5 page back story about a warrior and I roll ps 3 and pp 3 or something, I'm not above rolling again to get something to better fit my story. That's not to say I need max stats in my chosen OOC, but one needs to fit the other at least a bit.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it tends to depend a lot on what game i'm making one for, and what i'm making the character for. when i get a new game setting, i'll often just do a totally random walk through the creation process. for example when i got ATB2 i spent some time making a variety of characters with the random roll tables, just to get the hang of the dyanmics of the bio-E system and the distinct class system.

when making a character for my own use, i'll often have a preferred race and calss idea i want to use, though sometimes if an oppertunity for a more interesting version crops up i'll go with it. (for example, once i started thinking of making a RMB Headhunter.. then after looking at the base stats, decided that a Headhunter Robot-slammer would be more interesting to play with that character set up)

if i'm making an NPC, i usually have an existing idea which i stick to, even if it means having to modify the dice rolls i make or some of the skill options.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
flatline
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'll choose an OOC first and race. Then I stop and work up the back story/history, so I'll know WHO I'm playing. Then I roll and choose skills to fit that.

If my rolls are abjectly different from the back story, I'll either modify the back story a bit, or I'll admit, roll over. If I've got a 5 page back story about a warrior and I roll ps 3 and pp 3 or something, I'm not above rolling again to get something to better fit my story. That's not to say I need max stats in my chosen OOC, but one needs to fit the other at least a bit.

This is why I prefer points based character generation to random attribute rolls.

I've known GMs to simulate this by giving you an approved "spread" of 8 numbers that you could then assign to your attributes as you saw fit. The spread usually had 2 high values, 3 above attributes, and 3 mediocre attributes. And then some times you'd be given some number of bonus points to assign anywhere as long as you didn't push any attribute above 24.

It was usually set up so that you could choose between having 1 or 2 exceptional attributes or having a bunch of good attributes but nothing stellar. It usually worked out pretty well.

--flatline
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

flatline wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'll choose an OOC first and race. Then I stop and work up the back story/history, so I'll know WHO I'm playing. Then I roll and choose skills to fit that.

This is why I prefer points based character generation to random attribute rolls.

I've known GMs to simulate this by giving you an approved "spread" of 8 numbers that you could then assign to your attributes as you saw fit. The spread usually had 2 high values, 3 above attributes, and 3 mediocre attributes. And then some times you'd be given some number of bonus points to assign anywhere as long as you didn't push any attribute above 24.

It was usually set up so that you could choose between having 1 or 2 exceptional attributes or having a bunch of good attributes but nothing stellar. It usually worked out pretty well.

--flatline

My group does it a touch differently. We tend to roll four 6 sided dice for attributes(One's that need 3D6 that is) and take the highest three on each roll. If your highest three break the 'extra die modifier' the fourth dice is added.

Speeds up character creation and if you roll 4 dice and choose the highest 3, chances are none of your stats will SUCK BAD. Some might be low but yeah. Saves on the 'total rerolls' type situations.

When rolling "Random powers" or stuff for like HU and what not, we'll often install a "3 "Re-rolls" per Character" Rule. If you can't roll random stuff you like with 3 re-rolls, you're being too picky! (( or have crappy luck. Suck it up!))

This keeps a char from getting Supernatural strength. Flight and then like...bubble glue... or consumption. Or something. lol

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
flatline
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

My group does it a touch differently. We tend to roll four 6 sided dice for attributes(One's that need 3D6 that is) and take the highest three on each roll. If your highest three break the 'extra die modifier' the fourth dice is added.

My first GM did exactly that. Later on, he decided that in addition to rolling 4 dice, we could re-roll 1s and 2s.

He liked a high power game :)

--flatline
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

I find out what the game is missing, or what type of character the GM is looking for. Then I sit down and get a rough back story, Ok it with the GM then populate skills which fit the back story, I then refine the back story a bit and finally roll up the attributes, then pick physical skills. Then finalize the back story, usually ending it where I meet up with the rest of the PCs.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Backstory first, and about 50% of the time, the OCC/RCC. I've a very visually-oriented person, so I get an image of the person in my mind, how they look, how they move, how they express themselves. Arnold the Killer Mailman, Bambi the Borg, Paul Maris Wander Atchison, T'san the Godling. Then I find a class to suit and start building from there, modifying my expectations and mental image when random rolls dictate, or rules say I can't start with something immediately(gives the PC something to work towards, becomes an ambition in their lives).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

My process is similar to this but I will admit I don't even roll stats anymore. Once I get an idea and a backstory I have a pretty good grasp on how strong, smart, fast, pretty and charming he might be. However, I'll also not increase them based on class or skill bonuses either. If, for example I decide based on my idea and backstory that a headhunter's pp should be around 19-21 after growing up in a family of acrobats In a traveling circus, I'll place the stat accordingly, make sure acrobatics and/or gymnastics are chosen, but not apply any further pp or ps bonuses.
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

flatline wrote:My first GM did exactly that. Later on, he decided that in addition to rolling 4 dice, we could re-roll 1s and 2s.

He liked a high power game :)

--flatline

That's how every group I've been in does it.
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

I've created characters both ways and other ways.

Crafting a character background to fit a set of dice rolls can be interesting, but often I find it somewhat limiting as I end up forced into compromises that just don't fit that well. Sometimes a GM will be agreeable and allow things like moving a few points from one stat to another, if I have a good explanation for why I think it would be better. Another option I've seen used to work around this limitation is either 1) allow a few extra sets of stats to be rolled (e.g. roll 8 stats for a 6 stat system), and throw out the low ones, or 2) allow three complete sets of stats to be rolled, and the player gets to pick which set they use (and if they don't like any of the three, they can roll a fourth set, but they have to keep it). That said, I've only ever once ended up with a character I particularly liked this way.

My last few characters have been built the other way around -- create a backstory, and come up with reasonable stats/skills/etc to match it, again with some negotiation with the GM. I found this gave me a *far* more nuanced character who I was more invested in and whose motives and outlook I could more easily and enjoyably play. This has become far more important to me as time has gone on, as I've begun to really enjoy playing the character rather than playing the dice.

I've used point-buy systems (e.g. Champions/HERO) and I very much enjoy those, despite the tedious bookwork during creation. That lets me build out exactly the character I have envisioned, limited only by the GM's specified point budget. My first "real" RPG character was done this way, my freshman year in college, based on an idea for a super-hero/villian character I'd had since I was a little kid. The GM was super-psyched about my character when I described it to him and had him help me create it, as it was the first time he'd seen a Champions multi-power framework used the way it was really intended/envisioned, based entirely on the character concept rather than just a way to cram more "stuff" into a character's capabilities.

The final way I've made a character was by far the laziest and easiest to do, but turned out very well. I didn't know much about the system (Shadowrun, 4e I think -- too lazy to go downstairs and find the book), but I saw one of the example characters in the book and said "I'll run this one, stats and everything just as it says". All I needed was a name and a backstory to explain where this character had come from in life and where she (one of my rare tries at running cross-gender) was trying to get in life, and I was done. I had a great time with that character, and sometime later realized she would have been a tremendous complement (i.e. wife/girlfriend/fellow mercenary) to my first and only and beloved Rifts character. The more I played her the more I was able to understand how she viewed the world, what her own personal limitations and unspoken dreams were, and I let that come out in terrific ways during role playing -- even in ways that I knew as a player would set her and the party back, but made her all the more authentic. Again, I enjoyed the heck out of this, the most easily created character in my role-playing history.

Brent
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

First I pick the race, then OCC so I can pick my skills, then I do the backstory.
It's the most logical way.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

These days I like to think of Role-playing as creating an interactive story. I prefer improv acting to grinding away for stats and loot. Thats old school video game thinking right there, and I moved away from it a long time ago. (On tabletop, I still play video games).

So usually when I make a campaign I think about what types of characters would be best suited to making the story work.

If we decide to run an open campaign, I let the players do whatever they like. I make sure the challenges they face are appropriate to the capabilities of their group.
IF they choose min/max or munchkin their characters, they had better be expecting some brutal combat against enemies similar to themselves, cuz thats what I intend to do.

In fact without even speaking a word to me, a new group of players can say a lot about what kind of gaming they like and the sort of campaign they wanna see. Munchkin, political, magic & mystical, militant. Its almost always obvious in OCC or RCC selection.

On our first 3rd ed. D&D game my guys (for some reason) all decided to make clerics, some good, some evil. I set up an undead slaying campaign where several churches in a region banded together to thwart a powerful invasion. They each sent their best representative to take down the threat (ala Lord of the Rings, epic quest kind of deal). Much better beginning than "you meet at an inn" which D&D is infamous for.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Really, I have done both, depending on what it is that I was trying to achieve. But mostly, its a process that feeds on itself. Usually, I have an idea of what I want to make, then roll up the stats and such. But depending on what I rolled, it may change the background if he was stronger or weaker in one area than I expected.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
flatline
Knight

Shorty Lickens wrote:Much better beginning than "you meet at an inn" which D&D is infamous for.

Ha! Your GM was merciful!

"You meet in the jail cell..."

--flatline
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

flatline wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:Much better beginning than "you meet at an inn" which D&D is infamous for.

Ha! Your GM was merciful!

"You meet in the jail cell..."

--flatline

Thats not so bad if you only do it once in a blue moon.

A better start is dumping your group in the middle of combat and taking off from there. Again, dont do it all the time.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I do a bit of both, honestly. Usually I come up w/ a "concept" and then roll up the character, other times I just roll up the character and create things as I go along.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

both. depending.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I either pick an OCC I want to play (or play an old favourite but still roll up a new character) and stick with that, or talk amongst the group see what everyone else is thinking of playing and then come up with a character the boosts were we're lacking whether it's in tech skills, firepower, magic, etc.
Then I come up with the concept/back story and pick the appropriate skills. Like in one campaign my GM wanted me to play a Chiang-ku that had trained with a temporal raider (i think the minimum was 6 years) but then left. This was his character concept not mine, out of the people playing he figured I could handle playing such a powerful character and it fit into his grand scheme of things and rather NPC it he thought it would be more fun if it was actually played by someone.
But I threw him a bit of a curveball with my backstory. I wrote that he became sickened of that lifestyle he wanted to atone for any/all sins so I decided that he spent centuries as a wandering healer, even his appearance I chose was that of an older man. So I took skills that reflected that, I had some psionics so I took psychic diagnosis and surgery, but then I took things apothecary and holistic medicine, any other skills relating to it like chemistry and identify plants. I had him be soft spoken and a general "do gooder" who didn't flaunt his power as a dragon (kept it secret). My GM liked my character concept so much that to add to my character he said I kept one rune weapon from all my time as a raider. He gave me that staff that could purify water and I think it could heal people, it fit with my character's personality/look. IMO a back story IS what makes your character because it shapes it by dictating the skills you choose to create him. Damn! now I really miss playing that character ,lol
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

poll is flawed...
there is no both option.
I use both depending on inspiration.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Most of the time I decide what sort of char I am going to make (race and class) before I start rolling anything. This way I do not get lazy and "just make the same thing." Then do all the name, stats,skills, spells, powers...etc... then write up the background. I do it this way because when I start off, I have no clue what sort of background will be till I've thought about thinks while doing the rest of the char creation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I pick an Race and OCC that seem interesting to play at the time......once i am done with the character i look at the stats and such.

Make a story That would fit. (hopefully)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Role out my character with a background in my mind.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Look for a suitable race and OCC to match my interests at the time and work up the background to go with it, since you can't work out who they were before the game started without an idea about those basics.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It depends.
Sometimes I build a character around a concept or backstory, other times I roll the character up and pick the backstory from there.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

We once did a campaign where the characters started with no memories at all. We weren't allowed to come up with backstories at all.

We started the campaign with character sheets with stats, skills, and equipment and our characters woke up with name tags so that they would know their names.

Very strange campaign. Worked out well, though.

--flatline
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I do a little of both at the same time. I either start with a concept and idea of a background, and then add race/occ, or I start with concept, choose OCC/Race, and then work out background and revise said OCC/Race choice based on what I came up with.

For my Rifts game I came up with a pretty neat random roll table which has created some very interesting characters. The nice thing is that for most things you can make most any OCC work for most any background, if you work at it.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
EnlightenedVagabond
Wanderer
Comment: The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep...

Unread post by EnlightenedVagabond »

Pick the race, OCC, stats, skills, flesh out the equipment, then backstory VERY last. I tend to get character concepts, that I tailor the backstory too, ill make dozens of characters with zero backstory, and when I get a chance to play "that" concept or build as I call it, I tack on a backstory that works and run with it. Its my preferred way of doing things. It helps me to know I am going to enjoy the character for sure, rather than leave it to chance if you will or 'force' myself to enjoy the character that didnt turn out the way I wanted.

I hate pregen characters, I rarely enjoy the options laid out before me, and getting "into the role" of them just feels forced.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I choose the race and OCC and attributes. Then I do a backstory. Then I do the skills and equipment to suit the backstory. Rinse & repeat.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

Most of the time in my experience, the GM wants the Role/Class/Race in that order, and if he approves, you go on to the rest so backstory first has not been an option, though nice when allowed. Rarely a GM asks for the back story first before approving the character for his campaign, out of concern for power level I think. Back-story relies a great deal on what you will end up being and what skills you will end up with so It would be hard (for me at least) to create a back-story containing significant details without the race and class being known.

HR
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i get a random idea floating around my brain. or a lot of the time while reading the numerous world books i find a race or class i think is cool. i draw a few sketches write a short story or two and then if the idea doesnt get crumpled and thrown away i will then create a character. i spent months and months combining different super powers only to realize i didnt really like supers lol. now after learning the game i love the borg classes most of all.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Balabanto wrote:It depends on the needs of my group.

Back-story first. What does the group need to round it out or be the most interesting. Choose a race, best fitting the story. Roll up the stats individually then fit the stats into the OCC.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I choose the armor I want to wear, then I determine what will fit inside, then I determine what has the most skills. Then I worry about everything else...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Every way.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

look through races/classes first until something catches my eye, come up with a loose backstory, then refine it as I go through the mechanics.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Personally? Both. I like variety, both in my characters and how I make them.
Though my favorite method is random rolling as much as I can get away with, then bringing it all together.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Rockwolf66 wrote:Usually I do it the first way but after one of DarklordDC's Images involving one of my characters and her "companions" I statted them all up and wrote backstories for them all.

Most of the time I find that I can make up some really interesting characters from their race/skills and stats. Then I try to write a background that's interesting and then I make an Image of the character.

If said character really works I throw money at DarklordDC.

@Rockwolf66 .. will you post some of your characters pics that you had DarklordDC did for you ? I may follow suit in the future , his work kills!
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

I pick my RCC/OCC first & then develop the background as I roll him up & pick my skills . Then I flesh out the background in full.
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!

Return to “Rifts®”