MDC chainsaw

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jake Postlewaite
Megaversal® Ambassador

MDC chainsaw

Unread post by Jake Postlewaite »

Hey megaverse,

I'm running a game in Southern Illinois/Merctown and the characters are a crazy, juicer, and a mind melter. They belong to a biker gang/merc group called the chainsaw gang and they all have one of the MDC chainsaws WIC8. It is apart of being in the gang and they all have to have it, but the strength condition on usage prevents everyone from using one well. The psionic wanted to turn the saw on and use some telekinesis. There is no weight on it the GM handbook and it says it is "heavy and cumbersome". I can randomly give a heavy weight like 100lbs, but I'm debating on letting him accurately fly this with his mind when it is turned on, they are only level two. Any insight would help.

Thanks!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Re: MDC chainsaw

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Psionicly controlled flying MD chainsaws weilded with the mind? *Tilts head a bit* I've heard worse ideas.

Many worse ideas.

That being said.... thats' a lil frightening.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

There actually is a weight given in the Juicer Uprising book, and it can be found on p. 75, near the bottom of the page on the left hand column (btw, the weight is 20 lbs for those who are interested).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

As for wielding it w/ Telekinesis, I would not just let him do it accurately, maybe a -1 or two penalty.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

dragonfett wrote:As for wielding it w/ Telekinesis, I would not just let him do it accurately, maybe a -1 or two penalty.

Which arguably makes it MORE dangerous, having a telekinetically lofted MD chainsaw careening around in mid-air willy-nilly... :evil:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

:ok: Love this idea, I say go for it, let it happen, and as he gets higher in level and can manipulate multiple objects I say let him use multiple chainsaws.

That said, as he is a psychic, he might be interested in the TW chainsaw available in Arnzo.....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by GlitterKnight »

I always wanted to do a psychic who wielded flying vibro buzzsaws with his TK. Just all around sharp and vibrating, so there's no way to actually wield them safely with anything but TK. But this idea works too.
taalismn
Priest

GlitterKnight wrote:I always wanted to do a psychic who wielded flying vibro buzzsaws with his TK. Just all around sharp and vibrating, so there's no way to actually wield them safely with anything but TK. But this idea works too.

Vibro-Frisbees o' Death?
Check out the second Phaseworld book...one of the weapons is an arm bracer that launches gravitic-levitated remote control razor-discs. Cheaper(no ISP expediture necessary) though I imagine a really REALLY clever technician might be able to jam or subvert the control systems if they had the time and speed. Then again, TK-wielded buzzsaws could also concievably be deflected by counter-TK or Telekinetic Forcefield.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

What Weapon Proficiency is used for Chainsaws? I've looked for this and can't find it.

As for wielding it by TK - it's not just about picking the thing up, but also managing the kickback. That's why it lists PS of 22 as necessary (or any supernatural strength). BTW, it lists the weight in GMG (p. 173) at 20, 28 for the version with the laser pistol built in. 100 pounds might not be far off - maybe 60-80 if you're feeling generous. If he has TK Super it'd be a no brainer. TK Super and paired weapons and at least 4th level, and I'd let him use two at once.

As for how I'd address this if it came up in my game: I'd let the penalties (-4 to strike) stand as is if he doesn't spend enough ISP to get over the basic 20 pounds. And no parry with the chainsaw either, except for the basic parry built into TK (you could use the chainsaw instead of raw force if you were so inclined, but I'd worry about it knocking around on me on a 1). That said, it might be worth it to deal with the -4 to strike with no other bonuses unless the spend a custom WP called telekinetic melee weapons. This would merely allows them to use their normal WP bonuses for telekinetically wielded weapons). It wouldn't negate the penalty from not being strong enough to use it, but it'd offset them some.

No official answers there, of course, but it's how I'd address it....and Jedi078 and Deadboy? No you can't. Well I can't lie, this would be kinda awesome to see, so maybe. :)
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

GlitterKnight wrote:I always wanted to do a psychic who wielded flying vibro buzzsaws with his TK. Just all around sharp and vibrating, so there's no way to actually wield them safely with anything but TK. But this idea works too.

Vibro-Chakram. *nods*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakram
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

MikelAmroni wrote:What Weapon Proficiency is used for Chainsaws? I've looked for this and can't find it.

It's either "WP Chainsaw" or nothing.
And I can't remember any specific reference to "WP Chainsaw" in the books, so there probably isn't one.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

As for bulk, kickback, etc., I think that would be LESS of an issue with TK than without.
You don't really lose your grip, or have to have your hands in certain spots, etc.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Worst chainsaw RPG incident I ever encountered was in a fantasy RPG where the FGM allowed a character to have a steam-powered(or maybe it WAS a straightforward petroleum-fueled) dwarven chainsaw...PROVIDED he had the drawback of having to start the thing before combat.
Worked out well enough until he started an important(i.e. game-changing) battle, yanking the starter lanyard and fumbled so badly that the GM ruled kickback("Hold on, I got it*pull*, almost there!*pull*I got it!*pull*I got- #BRUMMMMWVOOOMWOWWOWNEEEEEEEEEE :shock: :shock: :shock:EEEEE!!!!!!!---" ), and partial dismemberment with his own weapon.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:TW Telekenetic Chainsaw??????????????? Where you use a joystick to telekenetically control the said chainsaw?????????? You could scare the crap out of everyone. Hide where no one can see you but you have line of sight and fire that puppy up..... I like it.

You have enough mystic lift capacity, attach six chainsaws at right angles to each other...Chainsaw Death Star. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
Rolling Bear wrote:TW Telekenetic Chainsaw??????????????? Where you use a joystick to telekenetically control the said chainsaw?????????? You could scare the crap out of everyone. Hide where no one can see you but you have line of sight and fire that puppy up..... I like it.

You have enough mystic lift capacity, attach six chainsaws at right angles to each other...Chainsaw Death Star. :twisted:

Disco-ball of "OWWWWWWMYleg/spleen/face/arm!"
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Disco-ball of "OWWWWWWMYleg/spleen/face/arm!"

Full-Contact Kinetic Sculpture that really leaves a mark on you. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:

Vibro-Frisbees o' Death?
Check out the second Phaseworld book...one of the weapons is an arm bracer that launches gravitic-levitated remote control razor-discs. Cheaper(no ISP expediture necessary) though I imagine a really REALLY clever technician might be able to jam or subvert the control systems if they had the time and speed. Then again, TK-wielded buzzsaws could also concievably be deflected by counter-TK or Telekinetic Forcefield.

It's not PSI, but you could TechnoWizardry a design using Spinning blade spell. Vibro buzzsaws as weapons. The spell says last till used in combat, so they can also be used for work and controlled by the user.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Take one TW.

Give him a sword.
Give him a Chainsaw.

Wait eight hours.
He gives you......
A Chainsword.
Oh yeah, thats some 40k goodness right there.
WP Sword, plus Juicer/Crazy.
Have fun.

For those of a more Khorne flavor.

One TW+ An Axe+ A chainsaw= Chain Axe.
Oh yeah, I'm so doing a rifter article on those.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
taalismn
Priest

Ravenwing wrote:Take one TW.

Give him a sword.
Give him a Chainsaw.

Wait eight hours.
He gives you......
A Chainsword.
Have fun.

Add Armor of the Bizarre and you got extra protection...and one SERIOUSLY ugly chainsaw too....

"EEEIIIII!!!! It's a Husqvarna made by Cthulu!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

As gruesome as a chainsaw actually is against a person, it's a horribly inefficient means to kill someone unless the said being is wearing some tough armor. It takes longer to finish the cleave using a chainsaw than it would to just swipe a MD sword through someone. Then you also have to pull back properly with the saw or potentially damage the teeth. So it's another one of those "weapons of Terror" that just looks and sounds way worse than it actually is. Heck, I'd imagine experienced Coalition juicers just laughing hysterically at a bunch of incoming Juicer assassins wielding chainsaws, since they'd just throw something with enough MDC at the chainsaw to parry it, force the other guy to have to pull back in a predictable manner, and cleave the living crap out of the saw wielder with vibro claws and small arms fire. :P

(Edit: Actually, I think this exact situation happened in one of the games I played in where an assassin wielding an MD chainsaw tried to kill our party. We panicked at first and were running around dodging like crazy in the bedroom... until he got it stuck in the MDC support beam for the room, which we quickly took advantage of and impaled the guy with a Silver coated short sword.)

An MD saw disc launcher is a much better weapon, since it would get a saw blade stuck in whatever it struck, eventually forcing the defender to have to spend time pulling saw blades out of their armor just to be able to maneuver properly (Seriously, just have the MD vibro field on the expendable saw blades shut off so they can't instantly cut through SDC material. Now the guy in MDC armor is getting snagged on everything imaginable while trying to fight his sawblade launching attacker.) :D
Last edited by Colt47 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Ravenwing
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Take one TW.

Give him a sword.
Give him a Chainsaw.

Wait eight hours.
He gives you......
A Chainsword.
Have fun.

Add Armor of the Bizarre and you got extra protection...and one SERIOUSLY ugly chainsaw too....

"EEEIIIII!!!! It's a Husqvarna made by Cthulu!"

I prefer Steel Brand Chainsaws meself :D

But I'm so liking the armor bizarre on the chainsword. Makes me think Chaos!

taalismn
Priest

Colt47 wrote:As gruesome as a chainsaw actually is against a person, it's a horribly inefficient means to kill someone unless the said being is wearing some tough armor. It takes longer to finish the cleave using a chainsaw than it would to just swipe a MD sword through someone. Then you also have to pull back properly with the saw or potentially damage the teeth. So it's another one of those "weapons of Terror" that just looks and sounds way worse than it actually is. Heck, I'd imagine experienced Coalition juicers just laughing hysterically at a bunch of incoming Juicer assassins wielding chainsaws, since they'd just throw something with enough MDC at the chainsaw to parry it, force the other guy to have to pull back in a predictable manner, and cleave the living crap out of the saw wielder with vibro claws and small arms fire. :P

(Edit: Actually, I think this exact situation happened in one of the games I played in where an assassin wielding an MD chainsaw tried to kill our party. We panicked at first and were running around dodging like crazy in the bedroom... until he got it stuck in the MDC support beam for the room, which we quickly took advantage of and impaled the guy with a Silver coated short sword.)

An MD saw disc launcher is a much better weapon, since it would get a saw blade stuck in whatever it struck, eventually forcing the defender to have to spend time pulling saw blades out of their armor just to be able to maneuver properly (Seriously, just have the MD vibro field on the expendable saw blades shut off so they can't instantly cut through SDC material. Now the guy in MDC armor is getting snagged on everything imaginable while trying to fight his sawblade launching attacker.) :D

Agreed....flying buzzsaws don't get enough love. The Russian razor launcher is becoming one of my favorite non-explosive ranged weapons.
Like flamethrowers, however, chainsaws have a visceral shock value all their own, however, so you can expect to see them regularly crop up as the weapon of image-conscious badasses.

And a chainsaw in the bedroom? Did you rule for impaired vision due to flying down feathers? Because like car chases and fruit stands, the bedding getting ripped open in a bedroom fight is also regulation.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

taalismn wrote:
Colt47 wrote:As gruesome as a chainsaw actually is against a person, it's a horribly inefficient means to kill someone unless the said being is wearing some tough armor. It takes longer to finish the cleave using a chainsaw than it would to just swipe a MD sword through someone. Then you also have to pull back properly with the saw or potentially damage the teeth. So it's another one of those "weapons of Terror" that just looks and sounds way worse than it actually is. Heck, I'd imagine experienced Coalition juicers just laughing hysterically at a bunch of incoming Juicer assassins wielding chainsaws, since they'd just throw something with enough MDC at the chainsaw to parry it, force the other guy to have to pull back in a predictable manner, and cleave the living crap out of the saw wielder with vibro claws and small arms fire. :P

Agreed....flying buzzsaws don't get enough love. The Russian razor launcher is becoming one of my favorite non-explosive ranged weapons.
Like flamethrowers, however, chainsaws have a visceral shock value all their own, however, so you can expect to see them regularly crop up as the weapon of image-conscious badasses.

And a chainsaw in the bedroom? Did you rule for impaired vision due to flying down feathers? Because like car chases and fruit stands, the bedding getting ripped open in a bedroom fight is also regulation.

Oh there was stuff flying all over the place, least of all feathers! There was hacked live electrical wiring, water from the plumbing going all over the place, wall plaster going left and right, it was probably one of the best encounters in that entire night. :lol:
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
taalismn
Priest

Colt47 wrote:[Oh there was stuff flying all over the place, least of all feathers! There was hacked live electrical wiring, water from the plumbing going all over the place, wall plaster going left and right, it was probably one of the best encounters in that entire night. :lol:

"Best thing that coulda happened to or ON that bed..."
"Just what ARE you implying, buster?!"
"I think he's implying that an assassin busting in with a chainsaw got his blood pumping harder and faster than if he and you we-"
"Finish that sentence and I'll GELD you."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ravenwing
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Colt47 wrote:[Oh there was stuff flying all over the place, least of all feathers! There was hacked live electrical wiring, water from the plumbing going all over the place, wall plaster going left and right, it was probably one of the best encounters in that entire night. :lol:

"Best thing that coulda happened to or ON that bed..."
"Just what ARE you implying, buster?!"
"I think he's implying that an assassin busting in with a chainsaw got his blood pumping harder and faster than if he and you we-"
"Finish that sentence and I'll GELD you."

"But Honey, I thought you could wear the Assassin Outfit with that chainsaw, and we can play our own version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

taalismn
Priest

Ravenwing wrote:["But Honey, I thought you could wear the Assassin Outfit with that chainsaw, and we can play our own version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Remember; it's all fun and games until somebody loses a limb.
For some people, even then, it's still fun and games.
Esepcially the tree-trimming fetishists.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ravenwing
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:["But Honey, I thought you could wear the Assassin Outfit with that chainsaw, and we can play our own version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Remember; it's all fun and games until somebody loses a limb.
For some people, even then, it's still fun and games.
Esepcially the tree-trimming fetishists.

Although given the number of Mutant Animals in Rifts, I imagine that the 'Furry' Fetishists are in heaven.

course looking at that sweet looking Perez pic of the mutant hedge hod/ Porcupine in lone star, I can kinda see why :lol:

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
taalismn
Priest

Needs to have a 'What The HELL?!" Factor assigned to it. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ravenwing
Hero

I so gotta build one of those!

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Reminds me of that movie I Come In Peace, ever see it ?
Can't remember if his were TK controlled, or magnetic, etc but he had those discs (looked liek cd's) and they found one lodged in a speaker and it was razor sharp, pretty sure the guy cut his hand just trying to pick it up.

*edited because of info below*
Weird, tried to find it on IMDB and it's on there under the title Dark Angel, found out why
"The project was initially titled "Lethal Contact" (as it was first written in 1984 as a spec script by Jonathan Tydor). The production, filming and international title is "Dark Angel", and was released as such worldwide, before it was changed to "I Come in Peace" for the late U.S. release, because of two other existing movies entitled "The Dark Angel" (from 1925 and 1935)."

Now I remember, the discs lock onto the electric current in the human body. The one dude had a sweet line "it's like setting your radio dial to K-I-L-L"
taalismn
Priest

Razzinold wrote:[

Now I remember, the discs lock onto the electric current in the human body. The one dude had a sweet line "it's like setting your radio dial to K-I-L-L"

Ouch....It's a flying buzzsaw shark then....
Combine your TW chainsaw/buzzblade with a homing spell like Magic Pigeon and send somebody a ripper-gram.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
Razzinold wrote:[

Ouch....It's a flying buzzsaw shark then....
Combine your TW chainsaw/buzzblade with a homing spell like Magic Pigeon and send somebody a ripper-gram.

Pretty much :-)

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

or with the flying buzz saw launcher you can have 3 blades put together. the outer 2 can spin when launched and when it gets stuck in someone or something the outer 2 stop spining and the 3rd on starts and digs in and causes damage over the next few rounds.
taalismn
Priest

dargo83 wrote:or with the flying buzz saw launcher you can have 3 blades put together. the outer 2 can spin when launched and when it gets stuck in someone or something the outer 2 stop spining and the 3rd on starts and digs in and causes damage over the next few rounds.

Okay...that enters, IMHO, into the realm of demonic(-inspired) weaponry. Most mortals would simply go for a bigger gun or a grenade/explosive device.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i gave the juicer chainsaw with the three foot bar a weight of 50 lbs. and for game purposes i added in the whole "kicking the chain" thing in.

Return to “Rifts®”