~ RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Vampires has been treated to Two books so far. Vampire Kingdoms and the soon to be released Vampire Sourcebook. Plus the dozens of times they have appeared in various books over the years and other PB-gamelines too. Ohh and dont forget the RIFTER#49 take on Vampires which kicks major booty.

SO WHY HASN"T PALLADIUM DONE A WORLDBOOK OR SOURCEBOOK CENTERED ON THE WEREBEASTS as Depicted in the oCB1/DC books ??

I mean come on. Werewolves, Weretigers, Werebears, Werejaguars, Werepanthers, Weresnakes, etc... They can hold up a single Worldbook or Sourcebook all by themselves.

Of course you have the Born Werebeasts. Then the Cursed Werebeasts. No need for big seperate rules. One is just a natural Werebeast, the other has been cursed however to be a werebeast. Easy and Simple. Natural Werebeasts have control of course. The Cursed werebeasts would not have control, at least at first, maybe the first 6 levels as a cursed werebeast they dont have any control, but at 7th level plus, they should gain control of themselves and be able to change at will.

I have always been a fan of Werewolves and various Werecreatures my entire life. And it seems to be one of the first things about half of new players ask me about actually. The other half ask me about vampires, but after reading VK, they all dont want to have anything to do with PB-vamps. Since I got Rifter#49, those players are again interested in Vampires for Palladium, they really liked the Rifter#49 vamps. Now Both sides are asking me about Werebeasts in Palladium again. If Palladium has any plans on releaseing a Worldbook or Sourcebook to cover Werebeasts. I have pointed out the early Rifters with the Tribes of the Moon, which will never be released mind you. However, the players didn't like the Society of Tribes of the Moon, but thought it was better than nothing. They do want a place in RIFTS for werebeasts to have to its own. A Place they rules themselves, even if its just one type of werebeast, which i pointed out the Werejaguars of South America One. They like the idea, but would have liked it more if they actually took up more of the book importance as the big anti-supernatural predators...

I honestly think they are really looking for Werewolves to be ruling a place. Just my reading between the lines of how they talk.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Re: ~ RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Unread post by Premier »

TechnoGothic wrote:RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Vampires has been treated to Two books so far. Vampire Kingdoms and the soon to be released Vampire Sourcebook. Plus the dozens of times they have appeared in various books over the years and other PB-gamelines too. Ohh and dont forget the RIFTER#49 take on Vampires which kicks major booty.

SO WHY HASN"T PALLADIUM DONE A WORLDBOOK OR SOURCEBOOK CENTERED ON THE WEREBEASTS as Depicted in the oCB1/DC books ??

I mean come on. Werewolves, Weretigers, Werebears, Werejaguars, Werepanthers, Weresnakes, etc... They can hold up a single Worldbook or Sourcebook all by themselves.

Of course you have the Born Werebeasts. Then the Cursed Werebeasts. No need for big seperate rules. One is just a natural Werebeast, the other has been cursed however to be a werebeast. Easy and Simple. Natural Werebeasts have control of course. The Cursed werebeasts would not have control, at least at first, maybe the first 6 levels as a cursed werebeast they dont have any control, but at 7th level plus, they should gain control of themselves and be able to change at will.

I have always been a fan of Werewolves and various Werecreatures my entire life. And it seems to be one of the first things about half of new players ask me about actually. The other half ask me about vampires, but after reading VK, they all dont want to have anything to do with PB-vamps. Since I got Rifter#49, those players are again interested in Vampires for Palladium, they really liked the Rifter#49 vamps. Now Both sides are asking me about Werebeasts in Palladium again. If Palladium has any plans on releaseing a Worldbook or Sourcebook to cover Werebeasts. I have pointed out the early Rifters with the Tribes of the Moon, which will never be released mind you. However, the players didn't like the Society of Tribes of the Moon, but thought it was better than nothing. They do want a place in RIFTS for werebeasts to have to its own. A Place they rules themselves, even if its just one type of werebeast, which i pointed out the Werejaguars of South America One. They like the idea, but would have liked it more if they actually took up more of the book importance as the big anti-supernatural predators...

I honestly think they are really looking for Werewolves to be ruling a place. Just my reading between the lines of how they talk.

Actually my gears and fangs have been drooling and rolling for such a title as well. I have talked with several Writers & also Kevin (when he gets those rare spare moments) about such "Were" possibilites, but there is just so much in the pipeline that has to be fuflilled, especially for long awaited titles & or product lines. However, who knows what may arise between such titles? I stillpan on cookingup a nice juicy title to entail "RIFTS: Megaversal Lyncanthropes"... Perhaps we could PM about such possibilites.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I would only buy it if it featured such neglected RCCs as the WereRat, WereElephant, WereSloth, WereManatee, WereArmadillo, and WereFlea. These guys deserve recognition for all their hard work and the undeserved neglect shown them over the years.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Sure. PM away ;)

My idea for RIFTS was pretty simple though.

North America Werewolves and Werebears throughout the land. Weretigers can be found due to Zoos of all the strange reasons releasing hidden weretigers hidden in the Zoos as tigers. Were they would escape at night to hunt humans in the cities, then return to the Zoo before anyone would notice. Other Werebeasts could have used this method during the 20th centry and 21st centry era. After the rifts, well, the werebeasts did what came naturally to them. Hunt openly.

I would actually make notes that Werewolves are a Major reason why Vampires are not even more common in North america than they are. Unknown to most people, the Werewolves, and Werebears (grizzly-brown bears) are a major factor in killing vampires in California to the rockies all the way north to Alaska. Weretigers and Werepanthers, as well as Werejaguars patrol the Eastern seaboards more than the others. However as they are not pack hunters, they are overlooked unlike the Werewolves out west...though Werewolves are in the East coast too, more nomadic, hiding as Native Americans and White FOlk alike...

Central and South America. Werejaguar and Werebears (black bears, etc) roam those lands.

Africa. WereLIONS, Werepanthers, and Weresnakes roam the land. A few rare packs of Werewolves visit from time to time. The Werelions are as powerful as Weretigers, yet hunt in Packs like the werewolves. Noone questions they rule the Dark Contient.

Asia. Weretigers, Werebears, werewolves, weresnakes, werepanthers all roam the lands. The rare Werelion hunts here too from time to time.

--------
--------
--------

I think AFRICA would make a great place to base a WEREBEAST worldbook. Not much of Africa was really written about in WB Africa. What WB Africa did cover so was brief and undetailed, a new Africa book can cover it better, with a focus on Werebeasts, as to why the land is so "Wild" still.

good ideas ?

@ taalismn ... are you making fun of werebeasts ? Are you ?
We are all around you. We could be your neighbor, the guy down the block on the corner, or some bimbo you picked up at the bar ? :lol:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Scandinavia is where the werebeastliness is going down. The Scandinavian Alliance is in some sort of heavy war with lycanthropes, that being the reason they can't provide the NGR with any direct assistance.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Armorlord wrote:Scandinavia is where the werebeastliness is going down. The Scandinavian Alliance is in some sort of heavy war with lycanthropes, that being the reason they can't provide the NGR with any direct assistance.

and it will be awesome.. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would rather have a whole book about were-people then any old one on vamps.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would rather have a whole book about were-people then any old one on vamps.

Absolutely! Were-critters are superior to vampires because I might actually like to play a were-critter!

--flatline
taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:
@ taalismn ... are you making fun of werebeasts ? Are you ?
We are all around you. We could be your neighbor, the guy down the block on the corner, or some bimbo you picked up at the bar ? :lol:

HAH! Shows what you know! I'm a were-amoeba! We eat our neighbors, we live alone, and we reproduce by fission!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Bring on the Werebeasts!!!

!!!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Premier wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:RIFTS : Werebeast Worldbook ? Sourcebook ????

Actually my gears and fangs have been drooling and rolling for such a title as well. I have talked with several Writers & also Kevin (when he gets those rare spare moments) about such "Were" possibilites, but there is just so much in the pipeline that has to be fuflilled, especially for long awaited titles & or product lines. However, who knows what may arise between such titles? I stillpan on cookingup a nice juicy title to entail "RIFTS: Megaversal Lyncanthropes"... Perhaps we could PM about such possibilites.
Pfft.

You just want the opportunity to draw more well-endowed She-weres like you did with Samantha in the Arzno Book.

(Geez Louise, man! I'm glad for her that she has Supernatural P.S. the way that you drew her, otherwise she wouldn't be able to walk upright!!)

:clown: :lol: :clown:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

cornholioprime wrote:(Geez Louise, man! I'm glad for her that she has Supernatural P.S. the way that you drew her, otherwise she wouldn't be able to walk upright!!)

:clown: :lol: :clown:

Quoted For Truth!

(But seriously, Premier, you do awesome work!)
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

I would also love a book about the weres.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the main problem, IMO, with a werewolf book is not the types of weres, but the fact you have to have more than just a collection of races. you need insight into the background, the culture, the 'nature' of what being a were-creature is like.
and frankly, they aren't a unified whole that allows you to do that. each race of were creature is complete different in mental faculty, society, and philosophy.

the last time a project like this was undertaken, was "the Tribes of the Moon" for Nightbane, in rifter 4 and 5. and look how badly that one was received. that article tried to force a common ancestry and society onto the wildly different types of werecreature, and it flopped.
and that wasn't even trying to take a dozen + canon elements from RIFTS and force them into a cohesive whole.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the main problem, IMO, with a werewolf book is not the types of weres, but the fact you have to have more than just a collection of races. you need insight into the background, the culture, the 'nature' of what being a were-creature is like.

I dunno, Palladium still hasn't done that for humans.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I would love to see a were-beast sourcebook..... :twisted:

It has to be done right or things could get hairy :P
The Dragon Has Spoken
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Killer Cyborg wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the main problem, IMO, with a werewolf book is not the types of weres, but the fact you have to have more than just a collection of races. you need insight into the background, the culture, the 'nature' of what being a were-creature is like.

I dunno, Palladium still hasn't done that for humans.

because if you want to know what it's like to be human, you hit a library, switch on the TV, or just take a walk around town.

we can't do that for non-humans.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Junk updated
Last edited by abtex on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd buy a book on Weres
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
TechnoGothic
Knight

oCB1 says their is a Kingdom of Werewolves in Romania, and they adopted many human customs and ways. Creed, etc...

Also, in oCB1, it goes out of its way to say, Werebeasts are MANEATERS, and Predators of other supernaturals. Instead of using the term cannibal. If PB meant the term for eating other humanoids and intelligent lifeforms to be "cannibalism", they would have used that term, instead of Maneater. And point out they hunt and kill humanoids and supernaturals as prey.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

TechnoGothic
Knight

Kingdom of Werejaugars, Werepanthers, and Muatant Cats in South Americs = Check.
Kingdom of Werewolves in Romania/Eastern Europe = Check, no details yet.
Kingdom of Werepanthers, Weretigers, Werewolves, Weresnakes in India = Check, no details yet.

We need a Kingdom in Africa, Werelions, Werepanthers, Werecheetas. Maybe they turned their back on their former god "Simba" or are too bussy to give him proper woreship right now for some reason.

Also a Kingdom in North America would be nice. Werewolves, Werejaguars, Werepanthers (cougars), Werebear (new Grizzy/Brown/Black bear types), heck even Weresnakes would work nicely. California's Redwoods forrest would be a nice place for their "HQ".
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

TechnoGothic wrote:oCB1 says their is a Kingdom of Werewolves in Romania, and they adopted many human customs and ways. Creed, etc...

Also, in oCB1, it goes out of its way to say, Werebeasts are MANEATERS, and Predators of other supernaturals. Instead of using the term cannibal. If PB meant the term for eating other humanoids and intelligent lifeforms to be "cannibalism", they would have used that term, instead of Maneater. And point out they hunt and kill humanoids and supernaturals as prey.

A particular writer for Palladium books used maneater instead of cannibal, doesn't mean Palladium has a policy rulebook that says 'cannibalism may only be used to refer to someone consuming members of their own species'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

TechnoGothic wrote:Kingdom of Werejaugars, Werepanthers, and Muatant Cats in South Americs = Check.
Kingdom of Werewolves in Romania/Eastern Europe = Check, no details yet.
Kingdom of Werepanthers, Weretigers, Werewolves, Weresnakes in India = Check, no details yet.

We need a Kingdom in Africa, Werelions, Werepanthers, Werecheetas. Maybe they turned their back on their former god "Simba" or are too bussy to give him proper woreship right now for some reason.

Also a Kingdom in North America would be nice. Werewolves, Werejaguars, Werepanthers (cougars), Werebear (new Grizzy/Brown/Black bear types), heck even Weresnakes would work nicely. California's Redwoods forrest would be a nice place for their "HQ".

The above would be very good place to start. With the lycanthropes, lore about them and what they are doing with and to the locals.

Yes a book [thick one] or several small ones on Were 'cursed by supernatural or magic', Were-'changed or created by other means' and DBees would be welcomed.

Skinwalkers could be used in North and Central Americas.
'Scandinavian Alliance is in some sort of heavy war with lycanthropes' could also be using them as a counter to Russian Cyborgs.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

abtex wrote:'Scandinavian Alliance is in some sort of heavy war with lycanthropes' could also be using them as a counter to Russian Cyborgs.

nope. they're fighting a group of very nasty, very organized werecreatures.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
TechnoGothic
Knight

@ gb2098 ...
Werewolves, Werebears ??
More ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

I would handle werewolves in more of the curse way than an RCC. If you have the curse/infected you have to make a make a save vs. insanity to resist turning to a werewolf whenever you receive more than half your total health in damage, you fail a horror factor save, or you see the full moon raise. If you fail you turn into a slobbering mass of hair and sharp things that is immune to almost everything and will attempt to eat anything that moves.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

TechnoGothic wrote:@ gb2098 ...
Werewolves, Werebears ??
More ??

seek, and you shall find. i've certainly dropped enough hints in the past to make it a mostly non-trivial exercise.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

nilgravity wrote:I would handle werewolves in more of the curse way than an RCC. If you have the curse/infected you have to make a make a save vs. insanity to resist turning to a werewolf whenever you receive more than half your total health in damage, you fail a horror factor save, or you see the full moon raise. If you fail you turn into a slobbering mass of hair and sharp things that is immune to almost everything and will attempt to eat anything that moves.

Then there's the infection among (Were)wolves...they get infected, and every full moon they turn into corporate executives...same rolls versus insanity apply; they fail they turn into slavering down-sizing, company-wrecking, self-promoting(with regards to pay raises and benefits packages) acquisition-hungry CEOs that fire or violently merge with anything that moves...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Actually... what I had in mind for a Were Book is a little different " ;) " than what many have in mind. I agree that there are a lot of lore, cultural differences in origins and mythos behind were-beast as it is. That to try and fuse them or categorically place them solely based on basis of continent fauna inheritance would not be my personal objective.

For example: The Werewolves of Romania are quite different in origins, beliefs and restrictions from the Skinwalker type Werewolves of Inuit legends.
For another example, South America WB6 reveals a cat nation "Omagua" that has both Werejaguars & Werepanthers, yet South America does not have any native "panther" species,(unless we are speaking puma) though it does mention both Were types migrated to the city, but how far is migration? Not to mention Werepanthers are larger than Werejaguars, which is actually reverse of true feline morphology of a jaguar and a panther. Let alone jaguars can be both rosette and melanistic/panthers. So I would seek to really Rifts things up sort of say with a Werebook to make it stand out from being so predictable all the while preserving the fun and fangs we all enjoy in the beasts!

If there is a true "Werenation(s) or Beast Nations or Sects" then I think they should be well-thought out as to how they would exist on Rifts earth and sculpt it to befit RIFTS. See, I personally don't see a Were just being limited to the pre-Rifts:Earth creatures, especially if new Were creatures are emerging after the Cataclysms. Some "RIFTS" Were beasts might actually be part alien species/predator as well. A Were evolution might really surprise us all.
Armorlord
Hero

Hey, interesting tidbit I just realized while researching something for another thread:
Werebeasts are just as psionically inclined as human beings. ie: Mind Melters, Bursters, etc.
Food for thought, no?

Premier wrote:South America WB6 reveals a cat nation "Omagua" that has both Werejaguars & Werepanthers, yet South America does not have any native "panther" species,(unless we are speaking puma)
Well, they are all (except the puma) part of the Panthera genus, so technically jaguar is the native panther species. There, isn't a singular 'panther', though melanistic members of Panthera are commonly referred to as black panthers whether they are leopards, jaguars, or even tigers.
Premier wrote:though it does mention both Were types migrated to the city, but how far is migration?
For the werebeasts it says some had always lived in the area and that the rest were Rifted in (p.105). Non-jaguar panthers were likely rifted in by Simba.
Premier wrote:Not to mention Werepanthers are larger than Werejaguars, which is actually reverse of true feline morphology of a jaguar and a panther.
The listing in WB6 actually stats Werejaguars and Werepanthers identically (p.117). Curiously, it restricts them far more than the normal Werebeast entry, and also nerfs their bonuses in comparison as well.
Though it is important to note that they aren't mutant animals, so they have no real cause to conform exactly to animals they may resemble.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Armorlord wrote:Hey, interesting tidbit I just realized while researching something for another thread:
Werebeasts are just as psionically inclined as human beings. ie: Mind Melters, Bursters, etc.
Food for thought, no?

looking over the Dark conversions stats... no. most of them end up as minor psychics kinda be default, due to having sixth sense, see invisible, and mind block, but none of the entries indicate they can have psionic powers beyond those. it is rather similar regarding magic. they have a small set of innate magical spells they know, but can't learn more.

a few races have extra powers (were panthers have presence sense for example, and were serpents have remote veiwing, empathy, ectoplasm, and hypnotic suggestion) but none of them have the option of starting with or gaining more powerful psionics or magic than what they have as innate abilities.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

TechnoGothic wrote:Also a Kingdom in North America would be nice. Werewolves, Werejaguars, Werepanthers (cougars), Werebear (new Grizzy/Brown/Black bear types), heck even Weresnakes would work nicely. California's Redwoods forrest would be a nice place for their "HQ".

Not sure if this is what you are looking for exactly, but WB#20 pg155-157 in the Loup Garou writeup, the following is select passages from a single paragraph on pg155 (last paragraph 2nd coloumn)
"...Several expansive family clans of Loup Garou operate in Quebec and Newfoundland. A few are regional kingpins: Two clans lord over wilderness towns, one is said to be an influential arms dealer with ties to the Black market, another is said to be a spy for Free Quebec, several others operate as bandits or mercenaries, and the rest are scattered in the wilderness of eastern Canada, living more like ravaging animals (some say commanding packs of real wolves) stalking unspuspecteing travlers, challenging the Windigo and reaping mayhem whenever they please.... It is said the Loup Garou are even jelous of each other and that clan wars are frequent, keeping their total numbers under 400. Note: According to rumor, an estimated 50-100 are also said to thrive in the Louisiana Bayou, immigrants from French-Canada long before the Great Cataclysm... In Europe, Werewolves are frighteningly common and often roam in packs of... ne massive pack, led by a clan of Loup Garou, is said to roam the mountains of Romania and is rumored to have established their own kindgom where they are worshipped as gods."

pg157 "Habitat: Loup Garou are rare and known to be found only in Eastern Canada and Louisiana. The ordinary Werewolf is a bit less rare and can be found peppered throughout the forests and occasionally tundra of Canada, USA, Europe (especially Eastern Europe), Africa, Australia and Japan."
Armorlord
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Armorlord wrote:Hey, interesting tidbit I just realized while researching something for another thread:
Food for thought, no?

looking over the Dark conversions stats... no. most of them end up as minor psychics kinda be default, due to having sixth sense, see invisible, and mind block, but none of the entries indicate they can have psionic powers beyond those. it is rather similar regarding magic. they have a small set of innate magical spells they know, but can't learn more.

a few races have extra powers (were panthers have presence sense for example, and were serpents have remote veiwing, empathy, ectoplasm, and hypnotic suggestion) but none of them have the option of starting with or gaining more powerful psionics or magic than what they have as innate abilities.
Dark Conversions could be out of date by this point.
Monsters and Animals 2nd Edition puts them at human standard for psionics and any OCC, plus much higher initiative bonuses.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Armorlord wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Food for thought, no?

Dark Conversions could be out of date by this point.
Monsters and Animals 2nd Edition puts them at human standard for psionics and any OCC, plus much higher initiative bonuses.

actually it's more the other way round.
Monsters&Animals, 2nd ed. printed in 1998
Dark Conversions, 1st printing, 2002.
newer books trump older.

plus there is the fact that Monsters & Animals is for PFRPG. in PFRPG, (as per the PFRPG 2nd edition, 6th printing, 2006), the race/class system functions completely differently than in RIFTS.

in RIFTS, werecreatures are RCC's, which are combined race and class entries. Dark Conversions provides full OCC detail, and no alterante OCC's can be taken.

in PFRPG, werecreatures are races, which can take a standard PFRPG OCC.

also, PFRPG has only major and Minor Psychic catagories, both of which are rarer than in RIFTS and less capable over all, with fewer powers and less ISP. the most powerful Psyics, which get special classes, such as the Mind Mage, are roughly on par with RIFTS major psionic's, and PFRPG has absolutely no equivilent to powerful RIFTS psionic types like mind melter, burster, and the rest.
and in PFRPG, the variety of psionic powers is fairly limited compared to rifts.

so the dark conversions RCC entry, with it's collection of specific powers, matches up well with the PFRPG entry.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Armorlord
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Armorlord wrote:Dark Conversions could be out of date by this point.
actually it's more the other way round.
newer books trump older.
Ah, a false assumption on my part. The excellent quality of M&A lead me astray.
glitterboy2098 wrote:plus there is the fact that Monsters & Animals is for PFRPG. in PFRPG, (as per the PFRPG 2nd edition, 6th printing, 2006), the race/class system functions completely differently than in RIFTS.
You will find that the standard RCC system is still in effect in Monsters & Animals 2nd Edition.
glitterboy2098 wrote:in RIFTS, werecreatures are RCC's, which are combined race and class entries. Dark Conversions provides full OCC detail, and no alterante OCC's can be taken.
That is an incorrect interpretation of RCCs in general. Though maybe I do need to agree with drewkitty about terminology getting a mite muddied when RCC is used three different ways. RCC can represent a race, a set of skills a race typically trains in, or skills that they get automatically regardless of other training. Oh, and in the case of certain magical creatures it represents the innate learning they magically have at birth, and are generally locked into.
Besides that, there is no reason for a race to suddenly become less capable of learning when traveling to Rifts Earth.

glitterboy2098 wrote:also, PFRPG has only major and Minor Psychic catagories, both of which are rarer than in RIFTS and less capable over all, with fewer powers and less ISP. the most powerful Psyics, which get special classes, such as the Mind Mage, are roughly on par with RIFTS major psionic's, and PFRPG has absolutely no equivilent to powerful RIFTS psionic types like mind melter, burster, and the rest.
and in PFRPG, the variety of psionic powers is fairly limited compared to rifts.
That is only a matter of location. When placed into worlds with high supernatural danger, humans, and those with the same chance of psionics as them, develop psionic abilities at increased rates and level in response to the environment. You take a wolfen, human, or werebeast child from the Palladium World to a world like the Nightlord's Earth or Rifts Earth and they will have psionic development the same as anyone else raised there.
Certainly no reason for them to become less likely to develop.

Now, things have gotten refined or updated from conversion book versions before, and I, as a person rather looking forward to Scandinavia, might suggest to you, as a clever fellow working on Scandinavia, that you might want to consider taking time to update some of the werebeasts.
While maybe they are all at least minor psychics with locked in racial choices, there is still the possibility of major or master psychics emerging according to Werebeast Mind Mages, and it would be interesting to see if those develop into any 'species' specific variants in a high-energy Rifts environment, as the minor psychics do..

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in Monsters and animals, werebeasts have the OCC entry: Any., and you roll psionics as per PFRPg character creation.
in dark conversions, they have an RCC listing with specific skills and and specific magic and psionic powers, and no ability to change those.

since we're talking about rifts, dark conversions trumps M&A, both in terms of recentness and in terms of game source. Unlike M&A, dark conversions was created for RIFTS and represents the stats of those creatures in RIFTS. so in terms of canon, werebeasts do not have the ability to take OCC's or gain different psionic powers.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
TechnoGothic
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote: Not sure if this is what you are looking for exactly, but WB#20 pg155-157 in the Loup Garou writeup, the following is select passages from a single paragraph on pg155 (last paragraph 2nd coloumn)
"...Several expansive family clans of Loup Garou operate in Quebec and Newfoundland. A few are regional kingpins: Two clans lord over wilderness towns, one is said to be an influential arms dealer with ties to the Black market, another is said to be a spy for Free Quebec, several others operate as bandits or mercenaries, and the rest are scattered in the wilderness of eastern Canada, living more like ravaging animals (some say commanding packs of real wolves) stalking unspuspecteing travlers, challenging the Windigo and reaping mayhem whenever they please.... It is said the Loup Garou are even jelous of each other and that clan wars are frequent, keeping their total numbers under 400. Note: According to rumor, an estimated 50-100 are also said to thrive in the Louisiana Bayou, immigrants from French-Canada long before the Great Cataclysm... In Europe, Werewolves are frighteningly common and often roam in packs of... ne massive pack, led by a clan of Loup Garou, is said to roam the mountains of Romania and is rumored to have established their own kindgom where they are worshipped as gods."

pg157 "Habitat: Loup Garou are rare and known to be found only in Eastern Canada and Louisiana. The ordinary Werewolf is a bit less rare and can be found peppered throughout the forests and occasionally tundra of Canada, USA, Europe (especially Eastern Europe), Africa, Australia and Japan."

Good Eye ;)
I keep over looking the Loup Garou as Super-Werewolves.

@GB2098 and Armorlord...
New Books do not trump older books. One does not replace the other. You simply use the book you prefer and state which book your going by.
So Armorlord. If you prefer the M&A material. Use it, share it with us. Its still in print, and useful.
So gb2098. If you rather use the DC version good.

I kinda ignore DC/rCB1. I have better older books. oCB1 and M&A, as well as offical conversions for NB in the NB book itself which is better than the DC write ups.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually it's more the other way round.
newer books trump older.

Greetings and Salutations. This is true, though not entirely accurate for this particular topic. Dark Conversions is newer than Monsters & Animals, no question. Newer books trump older books, also not in question. Dark Conversions does NOT trump Monsters & Animals though. These are two different werebeast types. Dark Conversion werebeasts don't change the Monsters & Animals werebeasts anymore than World Book 2 Atlantis transformed all humans into Atlanteans.

For those interested, I'll include a list of the varying werebeast types that I know of through the books (included in a "Spoiler" tag for space).

Spoiler:
1a) Beyond the Supernatural (original/first edition): They have three forms. Natural race.
1b) Rifts Conversion Book One (original/first edition): Converted from Beyond the Supernatural (not PF). They have three forms, and normal P.S. (though their claws can do M.D.). Natural race.
1c) Rifts Dark Conversions: Converted from Beyond the Supernatural. Updated/revised version of the stats in Rifts Conversion Book One (instead of putting them in Revised, where they are missing, they were put in Dark Conversions). They have three forms, and now have Supernatural P.S. Natural race.

2) Palladium Fantasy: Only two forms, can only transform at night. One is a human form and the other is a giant wolf form. This is definitely true of Second Edition (First Edition may have been human/man beast form, it's not 100% clear, it could be human/wolf form too). Normal strength. Natural race.

3a) Nightbane RPG: Nightbane ARE the werewolves (and other types of beasts). There is a Lycanthrope table and everything. Only two forms, and Supernatural Strength. Natural race.
3b) Rifter 4 & 5: Optional Rifter material adding a separate race of werewolves (and other types of beasts) into Nightbane. They have three forms, normal strength, and are based more or less off of the BtS version above, but have some differences and they have a few specialized O.C.C. (which is a plus). Normal strength. Natural race (I believe, I never did read the article).

4) Loup Garou: Rifts Canada (Book 20). Three forms again, can transform at any time. Supernatural Strength. Natural race.

5) Heroes Unlimited: There is a Super Power Lycanthrope. It's not quite the same as it's only a super power, but still to be considered. Only two forms (human and man-beast) and possesses Supernatural Strength. Super Powered individual.

6) Lycanthrope Curse: This is not a race, but is a curse. Turns the victim into a blood-thirsty wolf on a full moon (victim has no memory of transforming). This is detailed in PF, not sure if it's included in any other systems. Normal strength. Curse/affliction.

7) Zenith Moon Warpers: Not quite werewolves, but similar in appearance. They have the natural look of an attractive man-beast, but can take human form. Supernatural Strength on Rifts Earth (but not weaker magical environments). Natural race.

glitterboy2098 wrote:plus there is the fact that Monsters & Animals is for PFRPG. in PFRPG, (as per the PFRPG 2nd edition, 6th printing, 2006), the race/class system functions completely differently than in RIFTS.

Okay, this part right here makes me think you haven't look at PFRPG, at least not second edition. If you have, then you'd know the systems are actually very similar. HU2 would be different since it uses the education system instead of the O.C.C. system, but PF and Rifts follow the same basic rules for races and O.C.C.

glitterboy2098 wrote:in RIFTS, werecreatures are RCC's, which are combined race and class entries. Dark Conversions provides full OCC detail, and no alterante OCC's can be taken.

in PFRPG, werecreatures are races, which can take a standard PFRPG OCC.

No argument.

glitterboy2098 wrote:also, PFRPG has only major and Minor Psychic catagories, both of which are rarer than in RIFTS and less capable over all, with fewer powers and less ISP. the most powerful Psyics, which get special classes, such as the Mind Mage, are roughly on par with RIFTS major psionic's, and PFRPG has absolutely no equivilent to powerful RIFTS psionic types like mind melter, burster, and the rest.

Again, showing a strong lack of knowledge of PFRPG. PF2 and Rifts (original) had the SAME chances for minor and major psionics. Exact same. Same percentages, same number of psionics, same I.S.P., same penalties for a major. Comparing PF2 to R:UE, and there's a slight (2%) higher number of majors. That's the only difference (and if PF:UE ever came out, they'd probably be back to equal, but that is only a guess on my part).

As for PFRPG having "absolutely no equivilent to powerful RIFTS psionic types like mind melter ..." :lol: You really, really, really never compared a Mind Melter and a Mind Mage, have you? At first level they're dead even in powers (and I.S.P.). At third level, the Mind Melter has 2 extra powers from the lesser categories, while the Mind Mage has 4 extra super psionics. Once we hit 4th level the Mind Mage just has more minor and super psionics. The Mind Mage actually gains an extra 2 I.S.P. per level (which isn't much, but still more).

Now if you ONLY meant that Rifts psychics can inflict M.D. and the PF psychics can't in the S.D.C. world ... then okay, you have a point. But if the only explanation is Rifts has M.D./M.D.C. and S.D.C settings don't then that's a poor comparison. Though I will admit that Rifts has more psychic character classes but ... well, Rifts also has a good 3 times as many books as PF (maybe even more), including a book dedicated to psychics.

Note: PF doesn't have classes such as the "Burster" but Rifts doesn't have classes such as the "Illusionist." I will admit the Burster is a main book class while Illusionist is the only psychic class from a PF world book.

glitterboy2098 wrote:and in PFRPG, the variety of psionic powers is fairly limited compared to rifts.

To some degree, yes. Though again, Rifts has about 3 times (or more) as many books as PF, including one dedicated to psychics/psionics. Though if we just compare main books Rifts (original) to PF2 ...

Healing: PF has 4 more powers.
Physical: PF has 5 more powers.
Sensitive: PF has 4 more powers (not counting Meditation).
Super: PF has 8 more powers.

If we compare PF2 to R:UE we get ...

Healing: Same total number of powers (though the numbers the same, there are different powers on each list).
Phsyical: RUE has 2 more total powers (there are again some different powers in the list as well).
Sensitive: RUE has 5 more total powers (again some different powers among those lists as well).
Super: RUE has 2 more total powers (and there are a fair number of differences in the two lists as well).

glitterboy2098 wrote:so the dark conversions RCC entry, with it's collection of specific powers, matches up well with the PFRPG entry.

Umm ... not sure what you're going for here, so I can't agree or disagree. Though, for the record, the Dark Conversion werebeasts are converted from BtS, not PFRPG. One isn't an updated version of the other, they're just two totally different versions of werebeasts.

Anyways, I had to speak up when I saw some glaring inaccuracies towards PF (my system). Hopefully some of that clears up a bit. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

TechnoGothic wrote:Good Eye
I keep over looking the Loup Garou as Super-Werewolves.

May also want to review the Jaguar People (werebeast) in Vamp. Kingdoms (pg172, ORIGINAL version), there is mention of one werebeast community in the region of some Mayan ruins.

Return to “Rifts®”