OCCs that NEVER get played.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

the Captain
Wanderer

OCCs that NEVER get played.

Unread post by the Captain »

So there is a thread about the Stone Master OCC, and flatline made a point about it being what I am going to call a "Backdrop" class.

flatline wrote:The other powers (carry stone, shape stone, sense supernatural beings in the earth) just don't seem like the types of powers that would appeal to a player so I lump it in the category of "OCCs that serve a purpose that probably doesn't appeal to players" like the millenium tree druids from England. That's just my opinion.

--flatline

The same goes for the Millennium Tree Druid as mentioned. So, what are the other true "Backdrop" OCCs? The ones that never make it to the first round of cuts when it's PC selection time. Running an NPC doesn't count for this purpose, and the optional OCCs and RCCs are also out of consideration. I just want to know what OCCs never get out and stretch their legs to go adventuring.

Like the Rain Maker OCC from Rifts Africa, which reminds me has anyone played ANYTHING from the Africa book, except the odd Necromancer?
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: OCCs that NEVER get played.

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The rainmaker is badass, if used properly.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
the Captain
Wanderer

The Galactus Kid wrote:The rainmaker is badass, if used properly.

Seriously, I have seen the Africa world book outright dismissed by players as being irrelevant. I have never seen anyone play anything from it except the Necromancer in two decades. I am certainly not saying your "wrong" or anything. I would love to see a thoughtful player put some of the more interesting OCCs through their paces.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Never seen Classes from :

Africa (except for Necromancers)
Australia (another dismissed book)
Body Fixers. Really noone i've meet wants to play a Doctor in Rifts. Specially if they away from proper clinics and medicines.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I feel that all the druids from England except the Scathach are "Backdrop" Classes.

The Scathach, on the other hand, can be a nice support character in a low power game. I especially like them for the Wormwood setting. I was always disappointed that the Wormwood book never described the OCC that created resin weapons and equipment.

Body Fixers also seem like a "Backdrop" class to me. I don't think I've ever heard of someone playing one.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
the Captain
Wanderer

TechnoGothic wrote:Never seen Classes from :

Africa (except for Necromancers)
Australia (another dismissed book)
Body Fixers. Really noone i've meet wants to play a Doctor in Rifts. Specially if they away from proper clinics and medicines.

I don't even OWN Australia, looked at it once or twice, never felt the need to add it to the library.

In addition to the Body fixer, I have never seen a Cyber Doc either. Those are the only two OCCs I have never seen as player characters from the main book. For some reason the Vagabond OCC has always been popular in my core group. Some players see it as a minimalist OCC, those have been some of the best played characters in memory.
the Captain
Wanderer

SamtheDagger wrote:<- Has played a cyber-doc. Got myself in real good with the cybernetics community and knew all the good docs so my character could himself get some pretty smashing bionics. It was really handy when the party needed to fix a few vaporized limbs too since we did not have to "find" a cyber-doc. It was a short campaign, but plenty of fun.

Really? That party must have been the All-Singing All-Dancing, Incredible Bionic Band.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TechnoGothic wrote:Body Fixers. Really noone i've meet wants to play a Doctor in Rifts. Specially if they away from proper clinics and medicines.

Yup.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Floopers.
Cactus people.
Sky knights.
Sloon guys.
Gamblers

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
the Captain
Wanderer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Floopers.
Cactus people.
Sky knights.
Saloon guys.
Gamblers

I actually had someone play a Gambler, once, most of the time the character was just "flavor" for the group. Every now and then he would win a bunch of money. The problem was how it effected the party dynamics, while everyone else was "exploring" the town, the Gambler was sitting at a card table. The character was never really involved, I certainly tried to integrate the card table into the adventures. Eventually the player asked me to "write" his character out of the story and switched to a Gunslinger.

I would probably excommunicate anyone asking to play an effing flooper.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I hit um with the RUE... or reach over and pull the Spycraft book off the shelf and use it. It's bigger and heavier.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Played one.

Cactus people.

Seen it played.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

the Captain
Wanderer

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Played one.

Cactus people.

Seen it played.

LOL. Dude, you must be digging real deep to be playing those RCCs. :lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

the Captain wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Played one.

Cactus people.

Seen it played.

Back when I rolled up the Flooper, I didn't have to dig very deep.
There were only three Rifts books: Rifts, SB1, and VK.
And a naturally MDC creature, with more MDC than the toughest EBA, who was ambidextrous and could teleport seemed kind of fun.
And it was.
He was a diabolic assassin named "Rumtummy," who used paired NG-57s or an NG-P7 in ranged combat.
In close quarters combat, he'd use paired vibro-blades, or he'd just drop a fusion block or grenade, then floop out until the explosion was over.
:-D

Another guy in our group played a Shaper, which was less useful but still proved to be a valuable asset and interesting character from time to time.

the Captain
Wanderer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
the Captain wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Played one.

Cactus people.

Seen it played.

Back when I rolled up the Flooper, I didn't have to dig very deep.
There were only three Rifts books: Rifts, SB1, and VK.
And a naturally MDC creature, with more MDC than the toughest EBA, who was ambidextrous and could teleport seemed kind of fun.
And it was.
He was a diabolic assassin named "Rumtummy," who used paired NG-57s or an NG-P7 in ranged combat.
In close quarters combat, he'd use paired vibro-blades, or he'd just drop a fusion block or grenade, then floop out until the explosion was over.
:-D

Another guy in our group played a Shaper, which was less useful but still proved to be a valuable asset and interesting character from time to time.

In those days I played almost exclusively out of the main book, until we got Atlantis and England. To this day one of my favorite characters was a Starchild RCC from England, everyone just goes straight past to the Temporal OCCs.
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

Frontier medicine is better practiced by psychics and mages
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
the Captain
Wanderer

Faceless Dude wrote:Frontier medicine is better practiced by psychics and mages

My policy as a player is that Frontier medicine is best practiced by NPCs.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

the Captain wrote:So there is a thread about the Stone Master OCC, and flatline made a point about it being what I am going to call a "Backdrop" class.

flatline wrote:The other powers (carry stone, shape stone, sense supernatural beings in the earth) just don't seem like the types of powers that would appeal to a player so I lump it in the category of "OCCs that serve a purpose that probably doesn't appeal to players" like the millenium tree druids from England. That's just my opinion.

--flatline

The same goes for the Millennium Tree Druid as mentioned. So, what are the other true "Backdrop" OCCs? The ones that never make it to the first round of cuts when it's PC selection time. Running an NPC doesn't count for this purpose, and the optional OCCs and RCCs are also out of consideration. I just want to know what OCCs never get out and stretch their legs to go adventuring.

Like the Rain Maker OCC from Rifts Africa, which reminds me has anyone played ANYTHING from the Africa book, except the odd Necromancer?

I think these "backdrop classes" appeal to a certain subset of players. Folks who are interested in using the background info while being less concerned with the actual effectiveness of the characters. I've written several characters from the mentioned classes for my own use or as pregens to hand out. They're wonderful characters, even if they can't go toe to toe with the tougher classes.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I've played a Body Fixer before and I loved him. I should break him out again.

I've also played... was it the Bar Maid from New West? Yeah, I can't remember the exact name, but I think it was Bar Maid. That one was fun.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Australia (another dismissed book

A PC in my current game is playing a Jackaroo. :)
He is a post-apocalyptic Australian digger/treasure hunter/teller of tall tales who claims to have rode to North America on the back of a Shark ... Mate.

;)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

the Captain wrote:I don't even OWN Australia, looked at it once or twice, never felt the need to add it to the library.

Wow, you missed out. There's good stuff in there. Just ignore the bloody sabre-toothed kangaroos. Songjuicers and Sham-Men (have played both) are particularly worthwhile. The Road Warrior OCC is fun too, if you like to play a Mad Max-style game (make sure you have a blue heeler-based dog boy with you).

Backdrop OCCs (BCCs?)
Travelling Storyteller (Russia)
Sherrif's Deputy (why not be a sherrif?)
Saloon Bum
Body Fixer
Any of the 'reaver' classes.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
the Captain wrote:I don't even OWN Australia, looked at it once or twice, never felt the need to add it to the library.

Wow, you missed out. There's good stuff in there. Just ignore the bloody sabre-toothed kangaroos. Songjuicers and Sham-Men (have played both) are particularly worthwhile. The Road Warrior OCC is fun too, if you like to play a Mad Max-style game (make sure you have a blue heeler-based dog boy with you).

Backdrop OCCs (BCCs?)
Saloon Bum
Body Fixer

I can't disagree strong enough. Other than the Perez art, it's one of the worst books Palladium has put out. Other than the Perez art, most of the rest is revolting and fugly. the setting is Someone watching mad max and trying to write a source book for it. while taking 80% of the outback and simply doing away with it. It misses the mystical stuff which was promised in another book that never manifested, and two generic high tech cities that... are just generic.

Horrible horrible book. Best thing about it was the cover (( with the cool looking riding kangaroos)) Which were horribly ruined inside by UGLY Art by Burles.

Mutants down under was about 50 pages and and was 50000% better than the refuse that Rifts Australia was.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I can't disagree strong enough. Other than the Perez art, it's one of the worst books Palladium has put out. Other than the Perez art, most of the rest is revolting and fugly. the setting is Someone watching mad max and trying to write a source book for it. while taking 80% of the outback and simply doing away with it. It misses the mystical stuff which was promised in another book that never manifested, and two generic high tech cities that... are just generic.

Horrible horrible book. Best thing about it was the cover (( with the cool looking riding kangaroos)) Which were horribly ruined inside by UGLY Art by Burles.

Mutants down under was about 50 pages and and was 50000% better than the refuse that Rifts Australia was.

Pepsi normally I agree with you but this time I really don't. When I read the setting I got the impression most of it was Magic and the Mad Max stuff was just what was happening in scattered areas and I had to read the book only like... last week? So are you sure you're remembering it correctly?

I mean, honestly, it is one of the most "magical" places Ive read about on Rifts Earth.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I can't disagree strong enough. Other than the Perez art, it's one of the worst books Palladium has put out. Other than the Perez art, most of the rest is revolting and fugly. the setting is Someone watching mad max and trying to write a source book for it. while taking 80% of the outback and simply doing away with it. It misses the mystical stuff which was promised in another book that never manifested, and two generic high tech cities that... are just generic.

Pepsi normally I agree with you but this time I really don't. When I read the setting I got the impression most of it was Magic and the Mad Max stuff was just what was happening in scattered areas and I had to read the book only like... last week? So are you sure you're remembering it correctly?

I mean, honestly, it is one of the most "magical" places Ive read about on Rifts Earth.

Yeah... most of the outback is under water.. the big bad guys are.... toads.... and all the Dream time and Aboriginal stuff is MISSING. It's not in there. It's referenced, but it's like 'Oh the Aboriginals are highly magical. The out back is highly magical"

But... there's nothing to it. There was supposed to be 2 or 3 Australia books. All the magic was supposed to appear in them. They were never published. It's just not there.

The monsters are fugly and the 'main monster' of the entire continent (( what's left, it's like they erased 80% of it to not have to cover it)) Is... a big toad... the scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary demons... are toads about thhe size of a human in power armor.

It's a joke.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Maybe I just get it because I am Australian and could understand how that is reliant from a cultural standpoint. I wont harp on but frogs and toads are often depicted as antagonists in Aboriginal myths and legends and the Cane Toad has raped our land.

I had just assumed that a lot of it wasnt listed because they were Mystics and Leyline Walkers and it was all just viewed through the Dream time lense. Oh well... :lol:
the Captain
Wanderer

Comrade Corsarius wrote:

Backdrop OCCs (BCCs?)
Saloon Bum
Body Fixer

Yeah, I have looked through the book and read some of the OCCs, but it just has zero appeal to me. Someone else had mentioned the art in that book, I have one thing to add, I don't think it's a particularly good example of Perez's art either. Even worse, I can play "Roadwarrior" just about ANYWHERE on rifts earth, the whole planet is a Post Apocalyptic setting, I don't need an extra book just to put the Thunda in my Downunda.

If someone gave me the book, I wouldn't turn it down. PB needs to maintain a certain standards if they want me to part with my credits. In my opinion Austrailia is below the standard I expect for a Rifts World Book.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Just ignore the bloody sabre-toothed kangaroos.

Now why would we want to ignore giant carnivorous kangaroos? They actually existed-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ralia.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... garoo.html
-Though it turned out the 'saber teeth' were on the bottom jaw, not the top.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Armorlord wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:Just ignore the bloody sabre-toothed kangaroos.

Now why would we want to ignore giant carnivorous kangaroos? They actually existed-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ralia.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... garoo.html
-Though it turned out the 'saber teeth' were on the bottom jaw, not the top.

I'd advise you to look up Thylacoleo carnifex if you want killer marsupials. It's what inspired the idea of the Drop Bear.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

lol I thought the Drop Bear was more of a 'Snipe" than anything.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:lol I thought the Drop Bear was more of a 'Snipe" than anything.

I think I am breaking some great unspoken law by telling you guys this but...

Drop bear was invented by Australians to mock tourists. We'd tell them about the dropbear, they'd believe it, we'd secretly laugh at them behind their back. We've got a ton of them. Ain't our culture grand? lol
Solarius
D-Bee

Unread post by Solarius »

I"ve played a Sky Knight on more than one occasion I enjoy them alot
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:lol I thought the Drop Bear was more of a 'Snipe" than anything.

Drop bear was invented by Australians to mock tourists. We'd tell them about the dropbear, they'd believe it, we'd secretly laugh at them behind their back. We've got a ton of them. Ain't our culture grand? lol

Dude! I loved the Aussie book! ( Course that might be cause of that red haired gal I dated while I was on liberty in Syndey, although, I still can't tell you a thing she said, as none of it made any sense to me, lol. But god I love Aussie girls!)

Right now we're doing a Campaign where a group of New Westerners were accidentally Rifted(Read sent there against our will, and can;t get back to America.) to Aussie. So far my Gunslinger and his Robot Horse are loving it Down Under. We even gave up looking for a Shaman that can send us back to America for the time being.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Akashic Soldier wrote:

That's what the snipe is.. but we carry it a bit further and will take people out into the woods and "lose them" while they're hunting Snipe... we even teach them snipe calls and stuff.

Then leave them in the woods over night. lol

So yeah.. the Drop Bear is the Aussie version of a Snipe. :)

Akashic Soldier
Knight

HA! Got ya, sorry. I thought you meant takin' a snipe at someone which kind of means like a cheap shot. Which I guess would also be appropriate in a bit of a way I guess now that I think about it. lol
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

That's what the snipe is.. but we carry it a bit further and will take people out into the woods and "lose them" while they're hunting Snipe... we even teach them snipe calls and stuff.

Drop Bears aren't real (anymore...re: Thylacoleo), but you've totally got to watch out for hoop snakes. If you see one, remember to run uphill, because they can put their tail in their mouth and roll downhill chasing you.

Also, re the 'frog' thing... Water is pretty sparse here. There's nowhere in this country that hasn't known drought, or flood, or both. The tale of Molok the Thirsty Frog (Or Tiddilik, if you go to his statue in Warwick) is well known across the country, as a greedy frog that drinks all the water but then is tricked to laugh and bring it all back out again (explaining the drought/flood cycle in dreamtime lore).

Now... fast forward that to Rifts earth, where there is a demon lying in a fairly undeveloped part of the world, where the technological powers-that-be (even if they knew it existed) would not have a hope in hell of defeating it, and it wants to eat ALL the PPE, and drink ALL the water on earth. Seriously, I find Tiklikik to be a greater threat to Rifts Earth than the four horsemen, when you think about it. By the time anyone has noticed his growing power (very likely the Splugorth would be the first to notice), it might even be too late.

I do agree that it is unfortunate that Rifts Australia 2 and 3 were not released. It makes the trilogy badly unfinished. I believe that 2 was Mystic Australia, dealing with Aboriginal magic and a greater selection of OCCs, as well as expanding on the vehicles, powered armour, and weapons of the Tech Cities, and the third being Dreamtime, which was much more nightbane-ish. The author used to be a regular here on the forums and discussed his plans in depth at the time.

Perez art is great. Can't get enough of it. Burles, on the other hand, is a dreadful artist who can't seem to render anything decently without making it look half-melted. I agree that the overuse of Burles in the Australia book leads to its unpopularity (as well as unfamiliarity with the region in general by the prime demographic).

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Drop Bears aren't real (anymore...re: Thylacoleo), but you've totally got to watch out for hoop snakes. If you see one, remember to run uphill, because they can put their tail in their mouth and roll downhill chasing you.

I'm aware of hoopsnakes as well.

I might point you to the Paranormal Animals of North America. There's hoopsnakes in there.

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Also, re the 'frog' thing... Water is pretty sparse here. There's nowhere in this country that hasn't known drought, or flood, or both. The tale of Molok the Thirsty Frog (Or Tiddilik, if you go to his statue in Warwick) is well known across the country, as a greedy frog that drinks all the water but then is tricked to laugh and bring it all back out again (explaining the drought/flood cycle in dreamtime lore).

You do know in rifts, they simply covered about 80% of Australia with water right?

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Now... fast forward that to Rifts earth, where there is a demon lying in a fairly undeveloped part of the world, where the technological powers-that-be (even if they knew it existed) would not have a hope in hell of defeating it, and it wants to eat ALL the PPE, and drink ALL the water on earth. Seriously, I find Tiklikik to be a greater threat to Rifts Earth than the four horsemen, when you think about it. By the time anyone has noticed his growing power (very likely the Splugorth would be the first to notice), it might even be too late.

Well. 1) They did cover most of Australia with water. and 2) If I'm not mistaken.. he's not on earth.... I could be.. the book pained me to an almost physical sick level it sucked so hard.. but I THINK... he's not on earth. he's just sending his lil frog demons here to run amok. and 3) They covered most of the magical sites (( that I know of)) in Australia with water. Even the Rock is under water. Most of he country was just erased, and while it's not said in the book, I think it's very much clearly done so they wouldn't have to cover all that space.
4) As for the magic and PPE... we'll never know. The books on the magic down there were never done and won't be done. Australia was a horrible horrible book and the ball was dropped. It's all but disavowed now by Palladium. They're not going to touch it again. Period. They've got soooo much other stuff fans are clambering for. They're not going to do anything more on Austraila, as they'd have to fix the smelly trainwreck of reffuse.. and re-write it all, before writing more. 5) I'm not scared of a big toad. lol I don't remember if his stats are there. but I remember being extremely unimpressed.

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
I do agree that it is unfortunate that Rifts Australia 2 and 3 were not released. It makes the trilogy badly unfinished. I believe that 2 was Mystic Australia, dealing with Aboriginal magic and a greater selection of OCCs, as well as expanding on the vehicles, powered armour, and weapons of the Tech Cities, and the third being Dreamtime, which was much more nightbane-ish. The author used to be a regular here on the forums and discussed his plans in depth at the time.

Well I'd like to think it couldn't have gotten worse, but I've heard some.... stories, that indicate that they were, and that there are clear reasons that the others weren't published.

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Perez art is great. Can't get enough of it. Burles, on the other hand, is a dreadful artist who can't seem to render anything decently without making it look half-melted. I agree that the overuse of Burles in the Australia book leads to its unpopularity (as well as unfamiliarity with the region in general by the prime demographic).

100% agreement.

Perez is my all time Fave Palladium artist. (( his art in this book wasn't his best work, but wasn't bad))

Burles.... well. My distaste for his stuff is pretty well known here. I wont' go into it again. :)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

The manuscript for Australia 2 was rejected, but it's possible that if somebody else wrote a different manuscript that it might actually get accepted.
If not, it could always be released as a fan-made netbook or something.

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I might point you to the Paranormal Animals of North America. There's hoopsnakes in there.

heh. Still gets the tourists, though, a surprising number of them americans :)

You do know in rifts, they simply covered about 80% of Australia with water right?

Yes. You know that inland Australia is actually rather flat, and a decent rise in ocean levels would result in precisely this happening? Most of the 'pointy bits' of the country (and we don't have much of that) is over here on the east coast, with the great dividing range running all the way down from the top to the bottom. Everything west of that is kinda flat, and used to be ocean. BCL put two and two together. To be honest, there's rather a LOT of 'magical' places that can be here, not just 'the rock'. Of course that would require research and another book... oh hang on, BCL wrote that and then it didn't get published.

1) They did cover most of Australia with water

Yes, the largely unimportant bits.

2) If I'm not mistaken.. he's not on earth.... I could be.. the book pained me to an almost physical sick level it sucked so hard.. but I THINK... he's not on earth. he's just sending his lil frog demons here to run amok.

True, in the same manner that a vampire intelligence originally makes contact with a single human, gaining followers until it can pull itself through to here. So too does Tiklikik, but he uses his demons to drain PPE instead.

3) They covered most of the magical sites (( that I know of)) in Australia with water. Even the Rock is under water. Most of he country was just erased, and while it's not said in the book, I think it's very much clearly done so they wouldn't have to cover all that space.

I'll assume for simplicity's sake you've not ever been here. What was covered is largely desert and wasteland. The primary food and agriculture producing areas (such as the New England and the Darling Downs, as well as all the fertile areas of Victoria and WA are largely untouched). Even mining areas are largely untouched. All the resources and 'civilisation' are still there without even getting too damp. This, alas, is the problem. Distance breeds contempt. I don't know where ANYTHING is in the US (except for what I see on TV, which is likely an unrealistic depiction), and I fear this is magnified even moreso for you guys viewing us here.

4) As for the magic and PPE... we'll never know. The books on the magic down there were never done and won't be done. Australia was a horrible horrible book and the ball was dropped. It's all but disavowed now by Palladium. They're not going to touch it again. Period. They've got soooo much other stuff fans are clambering for. They're not going to do anything more on Austraila, as they'd have to fix the smelly trainwreck of reffuse.. and re-write it all, before writing more.

I recall BCL mentioning that it was actually almost off to the printers, with Kev only doing some minor rewrites. Then he disappeared, not only from Palladium but also from this forum. I've a feeling that it was more a personality clash than anything else. The books are written and ready to go (after all, they were even planned on printing as a trilogy, which is why it's 'australia 1' and not 'australia')

5) I'm not scared of a big toad. lol I don't remember if his stats are there. but I remember being extremely unimpressed.

I'm not scared of whipoosh the demon beaver (and find it mildly ludicrous), but if it's a threat to rifts earth then you should sit up and take note. Then again, I feel that it's more a cultural thing: 'it's just a big toad'. I really must remember that for the next time I send an AI at the players. Just make it look like a harmless animal that they ridicule and it could take over the universe while they snort and laugh dismissively. The 'thirsty frog' motif (as mentioned before) is a story that covers aboriginal dreamtime legend across the country. I don't know of any other story that does that, except for the rainbow serpent.

Well I'd like to think it couldn't have gotten worse, but I've heard some.... stories, that indicate that they were, and that there are clear reasons that the others weren't published.

And I recall the author complaining at the time that KS had added things like sabre-toothed kangaroos and giant wombats to make it 'more funny' (something that our national cultural cringe just screams at).

Perez is my all time Fave Palladium artist. (( his art in this book wasn't his best work, but wasn't bad))

Burles.... well. My distaste for his stuff is pretty well known here. I wont' go into it again. :)

My response to this is 'Burles makes me Hurles'. When playing a game I do tend to go out of my way (even with a principled good character) to utterly destroy Burlestown. I do it for the sanity and artistic integrity of future generations.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:And I recall the author complaining at the time that KS had added things like sabre-toothed kangaroos and giant wombats to make it 'more funny' (something that our national cultural cringe just screams at).

KS inserted joke characters to 'funny up' a book set in a serious post-Apocalypse setting? Doesn't seem very wise, takes up space that could have been spent on something people wanted to see but couldn't because it was cut to make room for the jokes. About like watching reruns of shows like MASH where you can't get the jokes or follow the plot because they cut too much relevant material out to insert more commercials. It detracts and has customers going 'eh it's not worth it, those jokes just wasted the book' and undercuts sales.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

For what it is worth (and this might be a good way for people to think of things from here on in) I introduced a new player to my group (which i specifically assembled to play Rifts) and he said "I want to play a traditional aussie digger/survival specialist who was raised by bandits and now makes a living as treasure hunter."

I knew exactly the archetype he was talking about and then grabbed Rifts: Australia out of the pile (which at that time neither of us had read) and flipped through. Both of us thought it was pretty cool and realistic that most of Australia had been flooded from the rise in the water levels. We understood most of it is flat for as far as you can see. As someone who has traveled the world (and doesn't have a fondness for this country) I can say without bias it is unlike anywhere else I have ever seen in the world. I think Commander summed that up nicely in his earlier post.

However back to the point at hand here... we flipped through to find the O.C.C's read Bushman and he said "Oh I know what this guy is like but its not really what I want..." so we flipped a few more pages and found the Jackaroo. Which, was exactly what he wanted to play. So we sat down and statted him out. We both would've liked if they had of gotten a couple of extra skills but over all we were both very happy that we could easily make the character he wanted.

Then, as we sifted through the book we though "well that's cool" as we read about what'd happened to all the locations we knew about. And not once did anyone in the group at the character gen session (and we're all Australians) say "Well that sucks!" We chuckled and rolled our eyes at the roos and the giant wombat. Wondered if they knew that the Koala is not actually immune to the poison in the eucalyptus leaves and so is the only animal on earth that spends 24/7 stoned out of its brain when they made the Koa-la (or whatever they were) and a good time was had by all.

People kind of need to remember that Australia and the good old Australian Spirit is based around a few of very important things.

1. We're all crooks and miscreants. Australia isn't evil per se but out entire culture is build around defying authority. We don't even have a normal government by American standards. We have two sides who's job it is to constantly make the other side look worse then them and we vote for who's argument is better (most of the time). I have often suspected that most of the times our Prime Minster's are voted in because they're the guy that's the easiest to make fun of. We riot at the drop of the hat. Especially the aboriginal communities. Now the closer we get to hugging the ocean the more we act like "Civilized Americans" who just happen to drink like fish. But you get into the real rural areas and into the real Australian communities and you'll find most people would be "Scrupulous" but finding a "Principled" Australian, well, lets just say there aren't many.

2. The Fair Go. What I think is the most positive aspect of our society is the good ole fashioned sense of giving everyone a "fair go." The general mentality is that everyone should have a the same chances as everyone else (unless they're a d!ckhead). It means that most average blokes don't mind stepping in if someone is having a rough time of things or being picked on or mind telling the aggressors in a situation to "**** off!" or "Get a clue mate." This isn't as true as often as it is but as a general rule of thumb (and especially the further you get from the cities) the average Aussie doesn't have a problem with stopping to pick up hitch hikers and giving them a ride in the back of the ute.

3. Hmm... for political reasons I am not sure I can bring up our third quality because of the yanks cultural views of Political Correctness. But lets just say that Australians don't like ******** and up until very recently (unlike a lot of other places in the modern world) the color of your skin wasn't a good enough reason for causing it. The polite way of saying it is that aboriginal culture in Central and Northern Australia especially is statistically proven to be predominantly inclined towards criminal behavior and substance abuse and many Australian's don't mind taking the law into their own hands when the cop's hands are tied because of political red tape. Its not the prettiest part of our culture, but its a big part of it that a lot of people outside of Australia never get to see.

4. We are a godless country. For the most part the average Aussie (who has time for such non-sense) is more inclined towards vague Spiritual beliefs. I believe in a God (but thats as far as their faith goes), I once saw a Ghost, or other wicken and more new age beliefs. We do have a Christian community and we are a Christian Country (supposedly) but religion is kept very far from current mainstream culture unlike in the United States.

5. Stories. Australians love to spin what we call yarns which are just casual chats about strange happenings or near misses. This shouldn't be mistaken for gossip which is normally met with "Yer talkin' out yer ass" and a bit of a laugh or "Cry me a river." Yarns are nearly always tall tales and exaggerations. The art of a good yarn is one that is believable.

Commander, did I forget anything?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Australia (another dismissed book

A PC in my current game is playing a Jackaroo. :)
He is a post-apocalyptic Australian digger/treasure hunter/teller of tall tales who claims to have rode to North America on the back of a Shark ... Mate.

;)

Thats Captain Jackaroo :lol:

Akashic Soldier wrote:Maybe I just get it because I am Australian and could understand how that is reliant from a cultural standpoint. I wont harp on but frogs and toads are often depicted as antagonists in Aboriginal myths and legends and the Cane Toad has raped our land.

I had just assumed that a lot of it wasnt listed because they were Mystics and Leyline Walkers and it was all just viewed through the Dream time lense. Oh well... :lol:

Australia 2 and 3 were finished at almost to the printers. Then nothing...
2 and 3 were to be like Spirit West and Beyond the Shaows (dreamtime instead).

Nightmask wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:And I recall the author complaining at the time that KS had added things like sabre-toothed kangaroos and giant wombats to make it 'more funny' (something that our national cultural cringe just screams at).

KS inserted joke characters to 'funny up' a book set in a serious post-Apocalypse setting? Doesn't seem very wise, takes up space that could have been spent on something people wanted to see but couldn't because it was cut to make room for the jokes. About like watching reruns of shows like MASH where you can't get the jokes or follow the plot because they cut too much relevant material out to insert more commercials. It detracts and has customers going 'eh it's not worth it, those jokes just wasted the book' and undercuts sales.

Yeah i remember that too. Kev adding the silly mutant animals and removing serious material.
Anyone remember in the 90s when networks cut the old Knight-Rider series into 30 minute episodes. ugg they cut the good parts that showed character developments.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

One assumes you mean me?

Akashic Soldier wrote:I knew exactly However back to the point at hand here... we flipped through to find the O.C.C's read Bushman and he said "Oh I know what this guy is like but its not really what I want..." so we flipped a few more pages and found the Jackaroo. Which, was exactly what he wanted to play. So we sat down and statted him out. We both would've liked if they had of gotten a couple of extra skills but over all we were both very happy that we could easily make the character he wanted.

I quite like the OCCs in the book. The Songjuicer I particularly like, as well as the sham-man. The bushranger has a very interesting 'customise-ability' which means you can pretty much make him a generic crook/mercenary then add whichever benefits and bonuses suit.

Then, as we sifted through the book we though "well that's cool" as we read about what'd happened to all the locations we knew about. And not once did anyone in the group at the character gen session (and we're all Australians) say "Well that sucks!" We chuckled and rolled our eyes at the roos and the giant wombat. Wondered if they knew that the Koala is not actually immune to the poison in the eucalyptus leaves and so is the only animal on earth that spends 24/7 stoned out of its brain when they made the Koa-la (or whatever they were) and a good time was had by all.

Oh yeah. Cultural cringe. I am trying to think of an analogy that our US friends would get... hmm.. maybe if people wrote a book about Rifts US and it was populated by mutant bald eagles, fire-hating bears wearing hats, donkeys with rocket launchers and elephants with machine guns, and crazy crazy navajo magic, man... Heh. I laughed at the koala thing. I go to a koala sanctuary nearby fairly often and also a lot of my co-workers are involved in trapping/tagging koalas. You never quite get used to the smell of fermented eucalyptus.

People kind of need to remember that Australia and the good old Australian Spirit is based around a few of very important things.

1. We're all crooks and miscreants. Australia isn't evil per se but out entire culture is build around defying authority. We don't even have a normal government by American standards. We have two sides who's job it is to constantly make the other side look worse then them and we vote for who's argument is better (most of the time). I have often suspected that most of the times our Prime Minster's are voted in because they're the guy that's the easiest to make fun of. We riot at the drop of the hat. Especially the aboriginal communities. Now the closer we get to hugging the ocean the more we act like "Civilized Americans" who just happen to drink like fish. But you get into the real rural areas and into the real Australian communities and you'll find most people would be "Scrupulous" but finding a "Principled" Australian, well, lets just say there aren't many.

As a generation 1.5 aussie (immigrant dad, local mum) who grew up 'out west' I can agree with this to an extent, although I don't think I'd go so far to say 'crooks and miscreants'. It's more a very mild 'aberrant' or 'scrupulous' society out there. There is 'the law' (the man with the blue uniform) and then there is custom that everyone nods to. Family and tradition are important, and woe betide anyone who wants to try to change that (and the law, if he knows whats good for him, also observes it or gets shunned from the community. Seen it happen.). Since moving to the coast I agree that it's a very different country over here (I'm in Brisbane). I expect this is where BCL got his idea that there were the 'tech cities' with their power and technology compared to the 'outback' communities who have neither but pull together.

2. The Fair Go. What I think is the most positive aspect of our society is the good ole fashioned sense of giving everyone a "fair go." The general mentality is that everyone should have a the same chances as everyone else (unless they're a d!ckhead). It means that most average blokes don't mind stepping in if someone is having a rough time of things or being picked on or mind telling the aggressors in a situation to "**** off!" or "Get a clue mate." This isn't as true as often as it is but as a general rule of thumb (and especially the further you get from the cities)

Absolutely. It's a grand and noble sentiment and I like to think we're proud of that.

the average Aussie doesn't have a problem with stopping to pick up hitch hikers and giving them a ride in the back of the ute.

Particularly in Belanglo State Forest :p

3. Hmm... for political reasons I am not sure I can bring up our third quality because of the yanks cultural views of Political Correctness. But lets just say that Australians don't like ******** and up until very recently (unlike a lot of other places in the modern world) the color of your skin wasn't a good enough reason for causing it. The polite way of saying it is that aboriginal culture in Central and Northern Australia especially is statistically proven to be predominantly inclined towards criminal behavior and substance abuse and many Australian's don't mind taking the law into their own hands when the cop's hands are tied because of political red tape. Its not the prettiest part of our culture, but its a big part of it that a lot of people outside of Australia never get to see.

Well said, without discrimination. You're quite right.

4. We are a godless country. For the most part the average Aussie (who has time for such non-sense) is more inclined towards vague Spiritual beliefs. I believe in a God (but thats as far as their faith goes), I once saw a Ghost, or other wicken and more new age beliefs. We do have a Christian community and we are a Christian Country (supposedly) but religion is kept very far from current mainstream culture unlike in the United States.

Yes, we are very different. Extraordinarily so, but our similarities often lead us to think we understand one another, when I am not always certain we do.

5. Stories. Australians love to spin what we call yarns which are just casual chats about strange happenings or near misses. This shouldn't be mistaken for gossip which is normally met with "Yer talkin' out yer ass" and a bit of a laugh or "Cry me a river." Yarns are nearly always tall tales and exaggerations. The art of a good yarn is one that is believable.

Heh. Absolutely.

CommanderComrade, did I forget anything?

6. The ANZAC spirit. Noticeable more in times of trouble than in good times (when the Queenslanders make war on the heathen New South Welshmen, and I sit in a pub in Brisbane in my sky-blue shirt and wonder what I'm doing here), Australians pull together to overcome adversity.. ANY adversity. If there is some sort of natural disaster, people you never know will treat you like family. During bushfire season entire towns will come together to defend the town, the men working exhausting hours while the women make food and sandwiches. It sounds quaint, but the idea of 'mateship' and 'helping out your mate' comes from the bloody battlefields of Gallipoli. You'd rather die than not help out a mate. While 26 January is officially Australia Day, our most sacred national holiday is ANZAC day. I haven't had coffee yet so all this probably reads like chest-beating patriotism, but this is something that must be experienced and can't really be defined.

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

lol, I liked the Aussie book, but it's still cool to learn more about the land down under.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Good one with the ANZAC's Comrade (I called you commander because I wrote that while half asleep lol). I lived in Brisbane for years. Mid-last year I moved back down to New South Wales, if I move back we should game together! :D

EDIT: Or if you are ever near Grafton, NSW, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. :)
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Akashic Soldier wrote:Good one with the ANZAC's Comrade (I called you commander because I wrote that while half asleep lol). I lived in Brisbane for years. Mid-last year I moved back down to New South Wales, if I move back we should game together! :D

EDIT: Or if you are ever near Grafton, NSW, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. :)

My parents live in Woolgoolga. (yes, yes, that's Agloogloow backwards. We have a lot of spare time there). PM me your number and I'll give you a call. I'm headed north on Friday.

Calaran
D-Bee

Unread post by Calaran »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Maybe I just get it because I am Australian and could understand how that is reliant from a cultural standpoint. I wont harp on but frogs and toads are often depicted as antagonists in Aboriginal myths and legends and the Cane Toad has raped our land.

I like the australia book... just wish they had spent 10 minutes on the Bushman.. they could have skipped the magic part for the next book... but at least include the normal bushman so people had some thing to go on... I am trying a "Quigley Down Under " Campaign.. and its really hard when they have NOTHING on bush people.. Palladium keeps saying they are making the Aus 2 book... wish they would hurry up... it's only been 16 years..
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Never seen the Hawk series of rccs from Atlantis. The Hawk-Duck sounds silly imo. Never seen the Hazmat specialist or Paratrooper as well.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

cosmo knights. every group I have ever played they are banned.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic locked for thread necro-posting.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”