Ninjitsu Revised

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mercdog
Hero

Ninjitsu Revised

Unread post by Mercdog »

Something I've been thinking of doing for a while now, and finally got around to.

I've basically compared all of the different Ninjitsu forms in the books I have (TMNT, N&SS, and Rifts GMG) and tried to average them out a bit. This is basically just the Level advancement chart. The basic combat abilities are equivalent to those found in N&SS, except for renaming the Roll/Knockdown into the Rolling Sweep.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Level 1: 3 Attacks per Melee, +2 Pull Punch and Roll with Impact, +1 Strike
Level 2: +2 Parry and Dodge, +1 Initiative
Level 3: +2 Attacks per Melee, +1 Leap and +1D4 feet to Leap Distance
Level 4: +1 Strike, +2 Back Flip/Cartwheel, +2 Rolling Sweep
Level 5: Select one Martial Arts Power from among Arts of Invisibility, Body Hardening, Martial Arts Techniques, or Special Katas.
Level 6: +1 Attack per Melee, +1 Initiative, +2 Damage
Level 7: Knock-Out/Stun on 19+, +2 Leap and +1D4 feet Leap Distance
Level 8 : Critical Strike on Natural 18-20, Deathblow on 20+
Level 9: +1 Parry and Dodge, +1 Back Flip/Cartwheel, +1 Rolling Sweep
Level 10: +2 Damage, +1 Leap and +1D4 feet Leap Distance, Improved Critical from Behind ( x3 Damage)
Level 11: +1 Attack per Melee, Select one Martial Art Power from among Invisibility, Body Hardening, Martial Art Techniques, or Special Katas
Level 12: +2 Pull Punch and Roll with Impact, +1 Initiative
Level 13: Deathblow on 19+, +2 Damage
Level 14: +2 Back Flip/Cartwheel, +2 Rolling Sweep
Level 15: +2 Pull Punch and Roll with Impact, Select one Zenjorike Power

Totals
7 Attacks per Melee
+6 Pull Punch and Roll with Impact
+3 Parry and Dodge
+2 Strike
+5 Back Flip/Cartwheel
+5 Rolling Sweep
+4 Leap and +3D4 feet Leap Distance
+6 Damage
+3 Initiative
Knock-out/Stun on 19+
Death Blow on 19+
Critical Strike on Natural 18-20
Improved Critical from Behind ( x3 damage)
+2 Martial Art Powers
+1 Zenjorike Power
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Ninjitsu Revised

Unread post by Nightmask »

Looks nice. Are you counting it as being just a single MA form rather than a costly 2-slot form?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Why rename Roll/Knockdown to Rolling Sweep? Oh, and ditch the Pull Punch bonuses. They have no place in a "name" martial art.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Mantisking wrote:Why rename Roll/Knockdown to Rolling Sweep? Oh, and ditch the Pull Punch bonuses. They have no place in a "name" martial art.

Why does a full Martial Art style not have a right to Pull Punch? Particularly when there are some that are very defensive or set up less to do damage and more to impress or intimidate. Pulling punches and demonstrating that kind of precise control seems like something nearly ever MA would have.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Mantisking wrote:Why rename Roll/Knockdown to Rolling Sweep? Oh, and ditch the Pull Punch bonuses. They have no place in a "name" martial art.

Why not? :)
Actually, the thought was to avoid confusion with Roll with Impact, but now that I actually look at it, calling it Rolling Sweep really doesn't help does it? Maybe I should just switch the order of the original name and call it the Knockdown Roll, or KD-Roll when abbrevited.

Or maybe the Bowling Roll, since that is essence what the ninja is doing, turning himself into a bowling ball to knock over someone. :clown:

As far as the Pull Punch, I basically left that in just because it was present in 2 of the three Ninjitsu entries. But since this is kind of a work in progress, I may take them out later.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Nightmask wrote:Looks nice. Are you counting it as being just a single MA form rather than a costly 2-slot form?

That's something I've been deliberating. I'm sort of in the process of doing some restructuring of the MA Forms.

For now, I'm treating Ninjitsu as a one slot Primary form with some heavy restrictions. Mental and physical requirements (IQ 9, MA 12, PP 14,) full form is restricted to Ninjas and Dedicated MAs, though Worldly MAs can learn a 'Quickie' form (Only combat skills and level advancement bonuses, No character Bonuses or Skills included in Training). Additionally, the character must be Japanese, or have been taken in by a Ninja Clan at a young age (typically between 10-13 years old, if not younger).
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Mantisking
Hero

Nightmask wrote:Why does a full Martial Art style not have a right to Pull Punch? Particularly when there are some that are very defensive or set up less to do damage and more to impress or intimidate. Pulling punches and demonstrating that kind of precise control seems like something nearly ever MA would have.

Look at the rules. None of the "name" styles in N&S have a bonus to Pull Punch. Also, "name" styles only need a 7 or better to Pull a punch as opposed to Agent styles that need a 15 or better.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Mantisking
Hero

Mercdog wrote:Actually, the thought was to avoid confusion with Roll with Impact, but now that I actually look at it, calling it Rolling Sweep really doesn't help does it? Maybe I should just switch the order of the original name and call it the Knockdown Roll, or KD-Roll when abbrevited.

Or maybe the Bowling Roll, since that is essence what the ninja is doing, turning himself into a bowling ball to knock over someone. :clown:

Or call it Rolling Knockdown. Or maybe Monkey Knockdown, 'cause monkey styles use a similar move.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”