lets see what if Malvoren can do... this!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ed-Zero
D-Bee
Comment: >>Hear noise in closet
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

lets see what if Malvoren can do... this!

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are found in D-Bees of North America!

Just a couple ideas about what they may or may not be able to do.

1) Malvoren can take up Borg armor, would they be able to use that and get into a PA as well (not just physically getting in, but use their tendrils to command both the PA and the the Borg armor)?

2) can they use a juicer bio-comp and harness? What about crazy implants?

3) If a guy in a host armor from splicers was rifted over and he had a HA that was a blank slate (so to speak), would the Malvoren be able to use the Host armor?
What about if it wasn't a blank slate?

4) I've seen fire-linking in its description, does it appear anywhere else? as I don't think I've seen it before.
Last edited by Ed-Zero on Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I cheat to win and I win because I cheat.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: lets see what if Malvoren can do... this!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Ed-Zero wrote:Just a couple ideas about what they may or may not be able to do.

1) Malvoren can take up Borg armor, would they be able to use that and get into a PA as well (not just physically getting in, but use their tendrils to command both the PA and the the Borg armor)?

It depends on the size the borg armour was made for. If the armour was made for some tiny 5'0" borg, then probably. If it was sized for a 7'0" monstrosity then no.

Ed-Zero wrote:2) can they use a juicer bio-comp and harness? What about crazy implants?

They cannot use the bio-comp as it is designed with specific anatomy in-mind; anatomy they do not have. Also, as they aren't on the conversion list, it's likely that the drugs do one of two things:
1) nothing;
2) kill/poison malvoren.

Crazy implants may work, but the side-effects are not something I'd ever risk.

Ed-Zero wrote:3) If a guy in a host armor from splicers was rifted over and he had a HA that was a blank slate (so to speak), would the Malvoren be able to use the Host armor?

If a guy in a host armour was rifted over from Splicers, Rifts earth would become infected and the world would end.

If a Malvoren were rifted over to Splicers though, he'd find host armour useless because it's bio-mechanical and not mechanical. He'd also probably be wary of the machines there too because they carry what amounts to the aids virus for mechanics, something the malvoren might be vulnerable to.

Ed-Zero wrote:4) I've seen fire-linking in its description, does it appear anywhere else? as I don't think I've seen it before.

Yes, in a couple of entries in other books I'm not going to look for right now. I believe there is a fire-linking in HU with machine meld, though I'll give you definites later.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Ed-Zero
D-Bee
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Ed-Zero wrote:Just a couple ideas about what they may or may not be able to do.

It depends on the size the borg armour was made for. If the armour was made for some tiny 5'0" borg, then probably. If it was sized for a 7'0" monstrosity then no.

So, no midget borgs exist? :D Nonetheless, I can see this

Dog_O_War wrote:
Ed-Zero wrote:2) can they use a juicer bio-comp and harness? What about crazy implants?

They cannot use the bio-comp as it is designed with specific anatomy in-mind; anatomy they do not have. Also, as they aren't on the conversion list, it's likely that the drugs do one of two things:
1) nothing;
2) kill/poison malvoren.

I can see how a bio-comp will probably not work as I have no idea if they have blood or any internal organs but I'm pretty sure they have a brain (talks about it being underneath all the tendrils I think)

Dog_O_War wrote:
Ed-Zero wrote:3) If a guy in a host armor from splicers was rifted over and he had a HA that was a blank slate (so to speak), would the Malvoren be able to use the Host armor?

If a guy in a host armour was rifted over from Splicers, Rifts earth would become infected and the world would end.

If a Malvoren were rifted over to Splicers though, he'd find host armour useless because it's bio-mechanical and not mechanical. He'd also probably be wary of the machines there too because they carry what amounts to the aids virus for mechanics, something the malvoren might be vulnerable to.
I don't know about the host armor infecting all of Rifts. I've seen plenty of people on the Splicers board say that they just become inactive or waste away after about a month. There's no hard material stating that it will stay with him forever. Even if there is and I missed it, what do you think will happen if you overlook that?

Dog_O_War wrote:
Ed-Zero wrote:4) I've seen fire-linking in its description, does it appear anywhere else? as I don't think I've seen it before.

Yes, in a couple of entries in other books I'm not going to look for right now. I believe there is a fire-linking in HU with machine meld, though I'll give you definites later.
Cool, looking forward to knowing what it is

New Question #5) What about getting a hold of cyber-knight armor, living or dead? Cosmo-Knight? Demon-Knight? There's gotta be some way to get a hold of these.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Ed-Zero wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

1) nothing;
2) kill/poison malvoren.

I can see how a bio-comp will probably not work as I have no idea if they have blood or any internal organs but I'm pretty sure they have a brain (talks about it being underneath all the tendrils I think)

It's not so much that they have a brain-like mass for the implants to connect to, it's whether or not they will have an effect. Technically speaking a malvoren can wear or attach ANY implant (including the bio-comp and harness), it's more a question of "will he be able to utilize it?"

Ed-Zero wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

I don't know about the host armor infecting all of Rifts. I've seen plenty of people on the Splicers board say that they just become inactive or waste away after about a month.

The host armour, along with everything in Splicers is infected; the infection only works on metal though. It's like bacteria; here on regular Earth, bacteria lives on non-living surfaces, and does not affect them, but that doesn't protect the living things that interact with those surfaces. Splicers is the reverse of that.

Ed-Zero wrote:There's no hard material stating that it will stay with him forever. Even if there is and I missed it, what do you think will happen if you overlook that?

He'd be all, "must kill all humans..."

Ed-Zero wrote:New Question #5) What about getting a hold of cyber-knight armor, living or dead? Cosmo-Knight? Demon-Knight? There's gotta be some way to get a hold of these.

Cyber-Knight armour is easy to get ahold of; become a cyber-knight. All standard abilities of the Malvoren apply (including the melding cost/bonus for attaching said armour).

Cosmo-Knight armour would confer the same benefit, but the malvoren would probably feel "uneasy" melding with a device not strictly technology. That said, he'd feel less uncomfortable actually being a Cosmo-Knight and melding with his own armour.

I have no idea what a Demon-Knight is.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Demon Nights appear in Minion War: Three Galaxies; they're essentially Corrupted mortals given super powers much like a CosmoKnight, only at much more heinous personal cost(you cannot become a 'fallen' Demon Knight, ever, because your personality is erased and replaced with a demonic one). Being magic in nature, they're a CosmoKnight's nightmare.

Demon Knight armor is like Cosmic Armor, it's the result of a Pact, and not a manufactured article(at least not by any technology we're familiar with); it would be like trying to wrest a mage's active Armor of Ithan off him and expect to be able to wear it. It's a virtual construct. I wouldn't seriously contemplate it or allow it as a GM.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ed-Zero
D-Bee
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

Unfortunately, Malvoren cannot become a cyber, demon or cosmo knight. Which would be why I was asking about it. Do these armors confer all of their abilities?
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

taalismn wrote:Demon Nights appear in Minion War: Three Galaxies; they're essentially Corrupted mortals given super powers much like a CosmoKnight, only at much more heinous personal cost(you cannot become a 'fallen' Demon Knight, ever, because your personality is erased and replaced with a demonic one).

Isn't this exactly what happens to a Cosmo Knight? Except the personality instilled is not of demonic origins of course.
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Dog_O_War wrote: If a guy in a host armour was rifted over from Splicers, Rifts earth would become infected and the world would end.

Not quite accurate...

pg 13 Splicers

"SplicersTM characters brought to Rifts Earth carry the plague inside of them, so any metal they handle or carry for more than a minute will see the nanobot plague invade it and elicit the same Hostile Response. Thankfully, thenanobots of the plague are not self-replicating and can not be spread to the world visited by Splicer characters. In addition, the nanobots within the characters are likely to attack only metal weapons and items held, carried or worn by the infected individuals, and not passed to the vehicles they may ride in, nor to robots, power armor, cyborgs, machines, doors, etc., that they touch or lean against. Meaning the Splicer character cannot deliberately harm/infest a metal blast door, Skelebot or SAMAS by pressing his hand against it; at least not when on an alien world."
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Giant2005 wrote:
taalismn wrote:Demon Nights appear in Minion War: Three Galaxies; they're essentially Corrupted mortals given super powers much like a CosmoKnight, only at much more heinous personal cost(you cannot become a 'fallen' Demon Knight, ever, because your personality is erased and replaced with a demonic one).

Isn't this exactly what happens to a Cosmo Knight? Except the personality instilled is not of demonic origins of course.

Nope: the CosmoKnight still has free will. Including the ability to Fall. Demon Knights might have a teeny-tiny remanent of some goodness(if they ever had any to begin with) inside them that a GM might use to allow for an exceedingly rare and dramatic moment of compassion or mercy, but exercising it doesn't allow the DK to become a Champion of Good('Falling' in reverse). Greater Demon Knights are wholly servants of evil.
It's like the difference between signing a Good Behavior clause when accepting the keys to a luxury rental car, and having somebody install a parasite inside your head that will eat your soul and take you over when you accept that car from another rental agency(oh, and the car eats you too).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Dog_O_War
Champion

Ed-Zero wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

Cool, looking forward to knowing what it is

Instances of fire-linking:

Look in Coalition War Campaign, pg. 112 under the Glitterboy killer entry. #5. has "Extra weapon arms" that aim and fire where their sync'd arm aims and fires.

I believe the Juicer-Killer in Juicer Uprising has a similar system, but I don't have that book so I can't give you a definite.

I'm sure there are more examples, but this is all I was willing to find.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Jockitch74 wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: If a guy in a host armour was rifted over from Splicers, Rifts earth would become infected and the world would end.

Not quite accurate...

pg 13 Splicers

"SplicersTM characters brought to Rifts Earth carry the plague inside of them, so any metal they handle or carry for more than a minute will see the nanobot plague invade it and elicit the same Hostile Response. Thankfully, thenanobots of the plague are not self-replicating and can not be spread to the world visited by Splicer characters. In addition, the nanobots within the characters are likely to attack only metal weapons and items held, carried or worn by the infected individuals, and not passed to the vehicles they may ride in, nor to robots, power armor, cyborgs, machines, doors, etc., that they touch or lean against. Meaning the Splicer character cannot deliberately harm/infest a metal blast door, Skelebot or SAMAS by pressing his hand against it; at least not when on an alien world."

this was clearly written by someone who wasn't thinking at the time.

i mean, seriously? your body, right now, beats the living crud out nanobot invasions ALL THE TIME. there's a reason the machine is stated to be constantly producing more nanobot plague, and that's that the nanobot plague left to itself will eventually be gone.

i'd give it a few weeks, tops, before the nanobot plague is basically gone indefinitely (it would return if the person ever returned to the splicers setting of course)
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Shark_Force wrote:
Jockitch74 wrote:

Not quite accurate...

pg 13 Splicers

this was clearly written by someone who wasn't thinking at the time.

i mean, seriously? your body, right now, beats the living crud out nanobot invasions ALL THE TIME. there's a reason the machine is stated to be constantly producing more nanobot plague, and that's that the nanobot plague left to itself will eventually be gone.

i'd give it a few weeks, tops, before the nanobot plague is basically gone indefinitely (it would return if the person ever returned to the splicers setting of course)

Ya, pretty much.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Ed-Zero
D-Bee
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

I think what they intended for was that while on Splicers Earth, the nanobots would constantly invade your body (or possibly recycle out) so it was consistently being replenished.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Ed-Zero wrote:I think what they intended for was that while on Splicers Earth, the nanobots would constantly invade your body (or possibly recycle out) so it was consistently being replenished.

exactly. you need the constant supply of nanobots, or the plague would just get curb-stomped by the immune systems of everything on the planet. this also heavily implies that the nanobots are not self-replicating, which means that if you touch a piece of metal and get a response... well, you just had a significant number of nanobots move into the piece of metal, therefore they are no longer in you, and when you destroy the piece of metal, you destroy the nanobots with it (or at least, most of them) as collateral damage.

so yeah, the person leaving the splicers setting will probably be infected with the plague for a little while, but will fairly quickly (probably in under a month) have gotten rid of it, imo.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Now if that Rift sperson were taken to Splicers....THAT would be trouble.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

jaymz wrote:Now if that Rift sperson were taken to Splicers....THAT would be trouble.

oh, definitely. with few exceptions, that would be almost a guaranteed death sentence. only way they might escape it is if they're in a group that doesn't get any drones spawned, and they see several other people get killed because of contact with metal first and figure it out.

Return to “Rifts®”