Electrokinesis Thoughts

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Electrokinesis Thoughts

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

The Super Psionic ability that isn't, well, super.

I feel Electrokinesis is too weak to be of any use.

I'm referring mostly to the power as presented in NB. I've looked through some other books and it appears to be the same.

Why doesn't Electrokinesis have more potential in terms of straight damage?

Static Shock? You should be able to increase/decrease the damage like the fireball ability. At higher levels you should be able to instigate and direct a lightning bolt.

Does anyone else share my problems with Electrokinesis? And, if so, what have you done about it?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

- Joseph.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Re: Electrokinesis Thoughts

Unread post by Blindscout »

Weeeell

I had the same feelings as you did about electrokinesis.

I added an electrical arc ability to it.
Damage: 4d6
Range: 100 feet plus 40 feet per additional level of experience
Duration: Instant
Bonus: +2 to strike
I.S.P. Cost: 25

It does not hit as hard as pyro's fireball ability but has greater range.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Blindscout wrote:Damage: 4d6
Range: 100 feet plus 40 feet per additional level of experience
Duration: Instant
Bonus: +2 to strike
I.S.P. Cost: 25

It does not hit as hard as pyro's fireball ability but has greater range.

Works.

I may just harvest abilities from APS: Electricity or EE: Electricty.

Anyone done the same?
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I'm currently playing a zapper and I too find the electrokinesis power under powered and not as defined as it could/should be.

I recently attempted to use the absorb electrical energy and manipulate electronic devices ability to shut down or shut off a skelebot. GM ruled it as a NO because the skelebot has a nuclear power source (to much to drain) and the AI would just turn itself back on. Things that I thought I should be able to do given the vague wording of the power. I'm not arguing his ruling, it makes sense. But if anyone has a better and more defined version of EK I'd love to see it.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I'm currently playing a zapper and I too find the electrokinesis power under powered and not as defined as it could/should be.

I recently attempted to use the absorb electrical energy and manipulate electronic devices ability to shut down or shut off a skelebot. GM ruled it as a NO because the skelebot has a nuclear power source (to much to drain) and the AI would just turn itself back on. Things that I thought I should be able to do given the vague wording of the power. I'm not arguing his ruling, it makes sense. But if anyone has a better and more defined version of EK I'd love to see it.

What's vauge, you can drain 8% of the output per level. you have to be higher level to drain it all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I'm currently playing a zapper and I too find the electrokinesis power under powered and not as defined as it could/should be.

GM just didn't want you enjoying the benefits of the class you chose. There's no reason the skelebot would have been able to turn itself on (doubtful the CS would want autonomous weapons platforms like the skelebots being able to turn themselves back on after being shut off) and just because the power supply is nuclear has no bearing on the difficulty in draining the systems since it's all about output (while you may not be able to permanently deplete it you should still be able to effectively shut it down as long as you're focusing on draining it).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

What's vauge, you can drain 8% of the output per level. you have to be higher level to drain it all.

what's vague is the write up says I can, "use this ability to drain the energy from the machine, to make it temporarily useless (until recharged) or to reduce the energy/power level one degree or 8% per level of experience." The wording makes me think I can either do a complete drain OR a partial reduction. It doesn't however clarify how much energy I'm able to drain out. (Enough to render the skelebot inert? I mean it does say make the machine useless. as much has a car battery..as an e clip. how much am I limited or allowed.

I'm currently working on a revision of the Zapper and EK power that includes an ability similar to create, control, extinguish flame..but with electricity.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Damage was never the point of this power. I always though it was to be disabler in a firefight. Ie you disable what 12 people guns and you keep doing it every action so they can't fire?
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Mouser13 wrote:Damage was never the point of this power. I always though it was to be disabler in a firefight. Ie you disable what 12 people guns and you keep doing it every action so they can't fire?

yup and your guys can keep firing..also a handy way to recharge E-Clips in the field as well.

Plus not all combat is MDC or in armour..in a place like urban environments you can stun, fry and depower security systems so your also a great guy to have on a stealth run. Plus a bunch of CS mutants all standing water can be zapped easily..so on a sewer hunt...your even more deadly. In short use terrain (both wild and urban) and set up traps or ambushes.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”