Best Combat Spells

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sasha
Adventurer

Re: Best Combat Spells

Unread post by sasha »

I like some of the temporal magic stuff, but don't like that they don't work against the supernatural and such.

I like the one you mentioned. I would add off the top of my head to it Paralysis, Carpet of Adhesion, and Cloud of Slumber.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Anti wrote:What do you guys think are the best spells available for combat? Both offensive AND defensive, try to keep in mind PPE cost, casting time and even practicality. For example, Annihilate is an amazingly powerful spell, does 2D4xlOO M.D. not counting area of effect damage! ... but. It cost 600 or 300 PPE, depending on OCC. And for a great spell, thats not exactly practical, take a look at this Nazcan Line Drawing. The Energy Line System, "Activating these giant symbols costs 400 P.P.E. per outlet, and releases a blast that inflicts 2D4x100 M.D.! These blasts can hit only airborne objects, but they have incredible range and able to hit targets in orbit around the Earth!"... cool, but rarely useful (unless you have a huge group of magic users who can use these lines and pool PPE... you are in south america and aliens are invading :D).

To start things off, heres one of my favorite combat spells:

Power Bolt
Range: 1,600 feet (487 m) +100 feet (30.5 m) per level of experience.
Damage: 5D6 M.D. +2 per level of the spell caster.
Duration: Instant.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Twenty

Manageable PPE, good damage, and best of all, insane range thats comparable to high tech guns. And its accurate, "this attack never misses, unless the intended victim rolls a natural or modified (with bonuses) 20 or higher to dodge." Lots of attacks have higher damage with same PPE cost, but their ranges are incomparable. Its the sniper rifle of the magic using world :)

Anyways, please post your favorite spells, and if they aren't obviously combat oriented, feel free to explain how you like to use them so!

In a game where a over the counter pistol can melt tanks direct damage is the least efficient use of a mage's abilities. Shielding and boosting spells as well as terrain control spells have a much more impressive effect than doing what anyone with a functioning fore finger and thumb can do.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Yep, magic spells excell at effects other than damage. The obvious winners are Magic Net, Carpet of Adhesion, and Mindshatter, but there are plenty of other spells that can be extremely useful.

Let your gun toting minions (often known as fellow players) worry about damage output. A well placed spell can often win a battle outright.

(And FWIW, I do love Power Bolt. But as a TW weapon, not necessarily the spell itself.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:
Anti wrote:What do you guys think are the best spells available for combat? Both offensive AND defensive, try to keep in mind PPE cost, casting time and even practicality. For example, Annihilate is an amazingly powerful spell, does 2D4xlOO M.D. not counting area of effect damage! ... but. It cost 600 or 300 PPE, depending on OCC. And for a great spell, thats not exactly practical, take a look at this Nazcan Line Drawing. The Energy Line System, "Activating these giant symbols costs 400 P.P.E. per outlet, and releases a blast that inflicts 2D4x100 M.D.! These blasts can hit only airborne objects, but they have incredible range and able to hit targets in orbit around the Earth!"... cool, but rarely useful (unless you have a huge group of magic users who can use these lines and pool PPE... you are in south america and aliens are invading :D).

To start things off, heres one of my favorite combat spells:

Power Bolt
Range: 1,600 feet (487 m) +100 feet (30.5 m) per level of experience.
Damage: 5D6 M.D. +2 per level of the spell caster.
Duration: Instant.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Twenty

Manageable PPE, good damage, and best of all, insane range thats comparable to high tech guns. And its accurate, "this attack never misses, unless the intended victim rolls a natural or modified (with bonuses) 20 or higher to dodge." Lots of attacks have higher damage with same PPE cost, but their ranges are incomparable. Its the sniper rifle of the magic using world :)

Anyways, please post your favorite spells, and if they aren't obviously combat oriented, feel free to explain how you like to use them so!

In a game where a over the counter pistol can melt tanks direct damage is the least efficient use of a mage's abilities. Shielding and boosting spells as well as terrain control spells have a much more impressive effect than doing what anyone with a functioning fore finger and thumb can do.

I agree. Apparition is sweet.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I agree with the others in that the best combat spells of magic are not the ones that deal damage. A punk with a Wilk's 457 can out-damage almost anything a mage twice his level can dish out. But using magic to gain advantage over others is where the fights are won. That punk with the 457 isn't so scary once hit with a House of Glass spell, or dropped to his knees with Agony. Or if the party is being terrorized by an uber-juicer with a bazillion attacks and a PP of infinity; he's not so bad after being hit with a Befuddle spell. And if he's still an issue, Befuddle him again, and again to stack those effects till he's down to an attack every other melee and suffers -8 to that Auto Dodge.

Remember, the best combat spells are those from Spell Level's 1-5 because they only require one melee action to cast. Which would you rather have, a 5D6+8MD attack spell (Power Bolt is Level 6) that can only be gotten off every other melee action, or the ability to gain instant advantage, and press that advantage with every action? And as it happens to be, a lot of the really good advantage-gaining spells just happen to fall in that range... not all, but a lot of them.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

One of my players is doing a pretty good number against an invisible T-rex with magic net to it's mouth, and Paralasis: Lesser to it's legs.

Of course I require characters to make a strike roll when using any offensive spell. Makes more sense then just 'poof' the magic net spell just appears on said T-rex's mouth. I know many argue against this, but lets face it the character is trying to place the spell on a specific target.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Realm of Chaos. Now your enemies fight their greatest enemies. And it's save at -3. Sure, the mage goes too, but that just ensures their greatest enemies win. (See Carpet of Adhesion above.)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Anti wrote:Try not to misunderstand me, I completely understand that out right offensive magic is not a great way to go, and that tech is generally way better for damage and even defense (I play my Line Walker almost purely for support, and rarely am the one dishing out damage). I just simply want to know what peoples favorite combat magic IS :)

actually, magic is the way to go for defense. it's also the way to go for offense. it's just that the offense you should be looking at is not damaging, as a general rule (although, in some cases, damaging spells can be a good choice... generally speaking, when they do enough damage to remove an enemy entirely is the only time though)
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

One combo I've always wanted to try via tattoos: Invisibility, fly, and blind. Just fly around the battlefield and slap all you opponents.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

As others have said the best use of magic is to do things that technology can not . . . and tech is very good at putting holes in things. However in keeping with the theme.

Deflection / Targeted Deflection: Great defensive combat spells
Ballistic Fire: Easy to underestimate, sure its 1d6 per level for a level 7 spell but . . . 1000ft+ is good range for magic, specifically states that it only takes one attack to cast, never misses! I like this as my anti-missle spell
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Teleport: lessor, This and a fusion block and even a passing understanding of what the interior of a vehicle looks like is one of the greatest cheap shots in the game.

Illusionary terrain: Congrats, you have the home team advantage, on any field.

Talisman and Amulet: these spells can make it so you never need to work again

Magic Adrenal rush: give anyone the power of a juicer without the nasty "death" side effect.

Superhuman Agility: why does anyone get the juicer treatment when there are mages?

Summon and control rain: anti-vampire nuke with no fallout.

Ironwood: armor and fortifications for the cost of carpenters
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The best combat spells are the ones used intelligently. (i.e. "A person's greatest weapon is their mind.")
Other then that ones that come out of talismans are good also cause they only take an action to let loose.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

well the best combat spells may also come down to the situation.

Cloud of Smoke. Very Low PPE cost and has no saving throw.

Invisibility: Simple. Low PPE cost and can engage in combat, targets are -9 to strike before other penalties. It can be defeated with certain abilties.

Multiple Image. PPE cost is 7. Saving throw is at -4 (essentially 16 before spell strength bonuses). While the bonuses confered to the mage aren't great, they would give a chance that an illusion is attacked and not the mage, and could make defensive actions against targets harder if the illusion also mimics the attack (no damage obviously).
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

rat_bastard wrote:Superhuman Agility: why does anyone get the juicer treatment when there are mages?

Where's this spell? I don't recall seeing it in RUE, BoM, or FoM.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

How about a set of spells that takes eight actions at most and 4 at minimum to cast with a cost starting at 22 and going as high as 204 depending on what you have already that does 49,920 at a minimum (if you have 4 attacks per round) to 299,520? It is also -10 to dodge and requires a 10 to be dodged... so a modified roll of 20. Plus if your GM has deemed that head shots are criticals it is an automatic headshot. Oh but the range is only 6' +2'/level. And it isn't "official" the spells are from a Rifter. The set consists of 3 required spells, one that can be swapped for greater damage and a fourth spell if you don't have the... "material" components.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Mack wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Superhuman Agility: why does anyone get the juicer treatment when there are mages?

Where's this spell? I don't recall seeing it in RUE, BoM, or FoM.

Mercenary adventures.
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

I always like wall of ice. Dont you get like 50 MDC a level with that? Makes a great defensive barrier. I had a SAMAS swoop down on my mystic knight and I popped that up at him at like 300 MDC. Nothing like a guy abruptly hitting a 300 MDC wall at high speeds.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Anti wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Teleport: lessor, This and a fusion block and even a passing understanding of what the interior of a vehicle looks like is one of the greatest cheap shots in the game.

Magic Adrenal rush: give anyone the power of a juicer without the nasty "death" side effect.

Superhuman Agility: why does anyone get the juicer treatment when there are mages?

I'm such an air head sometimes... "Summon and control rain: anti-vampire nuke with no fallout." THIS is the perfect example of why I asked this question. (takes note). I like that one :D

I'm pretty sure the only reason vampires thrive on rifts earth is because ley lines cause mental retardation.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

-Invulnerability
-Impervious to Energy
-Invincible Armor
3 of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Anti wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Teleport: lessor, This and a fusion block and even a passing understanding of what the interior of a vehicle looks like is one of the greatest cheap shots in the game.

I'm such an air head sometimes... "Summon and control rain: anti-vampire nuke with no fallout." THIS is the perfect example of why I asked this question. (takes note). I like that one :D

Just don't forget that if your in the "area of control" of a VI they can control weather. Otherwise there would be no vampires with mages going around making it rain all the time.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”