North American Military Equipment in 2098

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: North American Military Equipment in 2098

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well looks pretty complete from eyeballing it.

Jason Richards has compiled a similar list and is stickied at the top of the forum here, so you might want to check that out to compare. However I don't believe he re-lists the items already in the CE RPG.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

very well done if you ask me
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

**Centurian Class Attack Submarine (SSN)
Rifts Sourcebook 4: SC Navy
Page 74

Centurion was the development name for the Virginia class submarine. when SB4 was written, the class name had not been assigned yet, and "Centurion" was the name being used in the media to refer to it.

and it might be worth specifying here that the seawolf class has 8 torpedo tubes and no VLS tomahawk tubes, with no plans to alter that. (the seawolf can fire tomahawks out it's torpedo tubes though). certainly the CS could have altered things, but it seems unlikely any changes were made pre-rifts.

also, as annoying as it may be given current real world events, the F-14 was apparently being used in some form immediately pre-rifts. thus it should be added to the list. though a note mentioning the issue of it's real world retirement might be worth including.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Nice list

You could add today's M-1014 combat shotgun, and easily give it MDC frag and plasma rounds. I would refrain from using ramjet rounds due to the design of the shotgun (pump/automatic).

I also made the NEMA Auto mag chambered for .40 caliber, but there are .45 caliber (has 12 rounds), and 9mm (has 20 rounds) versions.

I also included the caseless pistol and SMG from the Merc books. I decided to chamber them in 4.7mm Caseless.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

jedi078 wrote:Nice list

You could add today's M-1014 combat shotgun, and easily give it MDC frag and plasma rounds. I would refrain from using ramjet rounds due to the design of the shotgun (pump/automatic).

I also made the NEMA Auto mag chambered for .40 caliber, but there are .45 caliber (has 12 rounds), and 9mm (has 20 rounds) versions.

I also included the caseless pistol and SMG from the Merc books. I decided to chamber them in 4.7mm Caseless.

N1!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on ramjet rounds loaded into a shotgun. So long as the entire load fits within the shotgun shell, anything can be loaded into it with no issues on autoloading shotguns. It's not like soft-tipped hollow point bullets with an automatic pistol, where the soft lead would jam the feed mechanism.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

wyrmraker wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on ramjet rounds loaded into a shotgun. So long as the entire load fits within the shotgun shell, anything can be loaded into it with no issues on autoloading shotguns..

The 'jet fuel' used in ram jet rounds would undoubtedly give off a large amount of heat and as a result the barrel heating up might prematurely cook off the ammunition. That said it might just be safer to use a breach loading shotgun as opposed to a pump/semiautomatic when using ramjet rounds. Last but not least, by using the SLAP rounds found in the new RT books you make ram jet rounds obsolete for pistols, SMG's and rifles and only need them for shotguns.

wyrmraker wrote:It's not like soft-tipped hollow point bullets with an automatic pistol, where the soft lead would jam the feed mechanism.

You must be firing a really crappy gun or some really crappy ammo to get that effect with hydra shock rounds.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Dont forget the non-front line weapons and armor intended for police use in Rifts Index 2.

There is a Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle and Body Armor listed on page 92.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

most people underestimate artillery. some just never think about it. others assume that guided missiles will replace it.
but artillery is a very important part of military tactics, and gun based artillery is the cheapest and most efficent form there is.

i think in palladium games, KS tends to ssume that the players will be a small unit with little to no support from other groups, and thus if you need some long range over the horizon or NLOS support, you'll bring a robot with missiles..

add to that the fact that he's admitted to being more comfortable with writing for PFRPG..where things like tanks, artillery, and so on don't exist.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

glitterboy2098 wrote:most people underestimate artillery. some just never think about it. others assume that guided missiles will replace it.
but artillery is a very important part of military tactics, and gun based artillery is the cheapest and most efficent form there is.

i think in palladium games, KS tends to ssume that the players will be a small unit with little to no support from other groups, and thus if you need some long range over the horizon or NLOS support, you'll bring a robot with missiles..

add to that the fact that he's admitted to being more comfortable with writing for PFRPG..where things like tanks, artillery, and so on don't exist.

Well let's face it, artillery doesn't have to worry about someone jamming its tracking sensors or confusing it. You just calculate the point you want to hit, take aim, fire, and repeat until the job is done or you're out of ammo.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Stormrunner wrote:On the other hand I think you missed the M-19 grenade launcher from Mercenaries.

The picture looks suspiciously like a modern day Mk 19.

Stormrunner wrote:Assuming you do use the GAW vehicles I would seriously upgrade the damage of the various cannons from the 25mm to the 120mm on the M1. The damage is way out of wack for those.

One of my biggest gripes/rants is the fact that modern day weapons and equipment are 'nerfed' when compared to Rifts and Chaos Earth. A modern battle tank is MDC (you need a 20mm+ sized round to penetrate the armor), the shells fired by their main guns inflict MDC (takes an MDC weapon to damage and MDC object). This means the RPG-7 does inflict MDC (it's a unguided mini-missile) as we've seen that a well placed shot, or swarm of them can disable a M1A1, and can out right destroy an AAV, Bradley or LAV/Stryker.

That said a 155mm gun is more then capable of causing quite a bit of damage to MDC equipped targets. In fact in some of Rifter articles Chi town and other fortress cities have 155mm guns.

Nightmask wrote:Well let's face it, artillery doesn't have to worry about someone jamming its tracking sensors or confusing it. You just calculate the point you want to hit, take aim, fire, and repeat until the job is done or you're out of ammo.

Also even if the CPU's are down to do the calculations there is at least one man per gun crew that know how to do the calculations by hand. One of the guys I served with as an MSG had this particular MOS. He called himself the back up tot he back up computer.
Nightmask
Palladin

jedi078 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well let's face it, artillery doesn't have to worry about someone jamming its tracking sensors or confusing it. You just calculate the point you want to hit, take aim, fire, and repeat until the job is done or you're out of ammo.

Also even if the CPU's are down to do the calculations there is at least one man per gun crew that know how to do the calculations by hand. One of the guys I served with as an MSG had this particular MOS. He called himself the back up tot he back up computer.

That was actually my position, artillery work requires nothing but basic calculations and can be done by people sans any form of advanced computing devices. With reasonably good data (including the spotter with binoculars letting you know how much you missed by) an artillery crew can devastate a target with weapons fire that can't be confused it can only be blocked (bunkers or in high-tech settings force fields) or requires stopping the artillery unit directly. So unless you can prevent them getting accurate information or stop them entirely they don't have problems at all with all the tech built to stop guided missiles. While the complexity allows for increases in accuracy and range it also introduces many more methods of defeating it from a prepared foe.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I know KS seems to have been thinking about small unit (no support) operations for character groups, but I have always thought about small unit (with support) operations, especially in CE. I use these skills in the improvement of indirect fire and CAS for use in all of my PB Megaversal System games:
Forward Air Controller: This is a crucial skill for some operations because it enables him to accurately direct air strikes against the enemy. These aircraft and helicopter assaults are given target coordinates by the FAC and later verbally directed and corrected as he observes on the ground. Laser targeting designators, GPS beacons, and coordinates are standard methods of marking a target for assault. Smoke grenades and natural landmarks may also be described to identify a target area. Observation techniques are standard.
Base Skill: 40% +4% per level of experience. A failed roll means that the coordinates or directions are inadequate and 100 to 1000 yards off target; a correction MUST be transmitted immediately. A successful roll means the air strike is right on target.

Forward Observer: This skill trains the character in observation techniques to accurately direct artillery fire much like directing air strikes (Forward Air Controller skill). Initially, map coordinates are called in to an artillery unit. After about a minute to a minute and a half delay (8 combat rounds), the artillery bombardment will commence. It is the FO’s job to communicate the correct coordinates and corresponding changes in the enemy’s movement.
Base Skill: 45% +4 per level of experience. A failed roll means the artillery fire is misdirected by 100 to 1000 yards (1d10x10) off-target; a correction must be transmitted immediately. A successful roll means the artillery fire is right on target.

W.P. Artillery: Covers all vehicle-sized cannons and howitzers, as well as vehicle-mounted missile weapons.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

FAC's are going to be largely unused in Chaos Earth. enviromental conditions will prevent the use of aircraft for some time, and it's unlikely many will survive until the sky's clear up.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

true...volcanic ash and airplanes do not mix. As a matter of a fact, Id be willing to bet that SAMAS couldnt fly without doing serious damage to their air intakes as well. Unless there are some sort of nano-bot cleaners like on Sand Crawlers in Israel that I dont know about. Looks like its up to the fire rescue bubbas and Chromian Guardsman to save humanity.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

after about 2 weeks, most of the ash would likely have fallen out of the air. all you'd have is dense cloudcover and acid rain/snow fall.
volcanos can't keep erupting forever.
after about 3 months, even the cloudcover should have returned to normal, although temps would remain cold for years.

i was thinking more that it's not likely many aircraft survived the cataclysm. the ashfall would entomb most airbases pretty quick, and airbases are not easy to defend on the ground. not to mention that when survival is the goal, and your choice is "grab the food" or "grab the spare parts for units we can't use", most people will stockpile the food.
after about 6 months, if any pilots/technicians survived, i could see NEMA and others going back to airbases to grab anything that can be repaired up to useable form. (even civilian planes, IMO. either for rescue/supply ops, or conversion to gunships/bombers/attack planes..)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:FAC's are going to be largely unused in Chaos Earth. enviromental conditions will prevent the use of aircraft for some time, and it's unlikely many will survive until the sky's clear up.

True, but that doesn't mean there are FAC trained personnel among those who survived the beginnings of the cataclysm. I am sure they can easily be cross trained to call in artillery.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

Can some one post some rules about how fire support units might work, and where might I find that damage used for artillery. any thing office or just what katsuna has on her site?
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Nightmask
Palladin

Shouldn't the JA-11 Juicer energy rifle also be in this list? I'm fairly sure it states it's a pre-Rifts weapon in origin.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”