Help: How to play-by-post on Lazlo?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Help: How to play-by-post on Lazlo?

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I still don't completely understand how to participate in a play-by-post story.
I geuss there's alot more behind the scenes PMing and coordination that goes into it.

Could someone give a few tips on how to take part, how to start a story and maybe a link to what you consider the best story you personally have been a part of on Lazlo and why?

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.
sasha
Adventurer

Re: Help: How to play-by-post on Lazlo?

Unread post by sasha »

This is a good start. Cybermancer has a topic around here somewhere, maybe it's on page two by now, talking about this stuff.

But in the mean time these would be good questions to answer, I think:

Do you have a character concept or a character completed?
What kind of story are you looking to create?
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I do indeed have an unofficial guide. And it is indeed on the second page, towards the bottom. I need to add a few things to it, get it back on the front page.

Here is a link to an active link where behind the scenes stuff is happening.

Sasha is quite correct about where to start. Most folks who post to this part of the Forum are helpful and will try to answer any questions posed.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

The only hard rules are the standard rules for the forums of the megaverse and Palladium's inherent policy. In brief, that means no scamming, no flaming, and no conversions of materials from other companies. Beyond that there aren't any hard rules unique to to the .org. Some people handle out-of-game discussions through private messages, others like to stay in character for PMs. Some use dice, others don't. Some characters are book legal and with full character sheets; others are just keeping in the style and spirit of the setting.

Cybermancer's thread is an excellent set of guidelines for polite roleplaying.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I wonder about specifics of conversion in a RP setting. Would a post using say, The Hoffman Institute, but not making any stats, which you wouldn't use in on LS.org be a conversion?
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Xar wrote:I wonder about specifics of conversion in a RP setting. Would a post using say, The Hoffman Institute, but not making any stats, which you wouldn't use in on LS.org be a conversion?

Considering that it's an actual place, I wouldn't use it as you'd be opening yourself and Palladium up for civil lawsuits. And from a number of sources. Consider perhaps renaming the organization you wish to use, along with all NPC's associated with it. Refluff the background so that it is no longer recognizable as the original. Then make a few more changes.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Cybermancer wrote:
Xar wrote:I wonder about specifics of conversion in a RP setting. Would a post using say, The Hoffman Institute, but not making any stats, which you wouldn't use in on LS.org be a conversion?

Considering that it's an actual place, I wouldn't use it as you'd be opening yourself and Palladium up for civil lawsuits. And from a number of sources. Consider perhaps renaming the organization you wish to use, along with all NPC's associated with it. Refluff the background so that it is no longer recognizable as the original. Then make a few more changes.

Heh, that's funny.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”