Dual Classing - Take 2

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shinkaze
D-Bee

Re: Dual Classing - Take 2

Unread post by Shinkaze »

IIRC in Rifter #37 there is an article on Mega Hero variants, one of which is a sort of duel category option.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

I was working on a way to dual class - it'd be it's own power category, essentially combining "minor hero" versions of various power classes. There's also been a discussion of having multiple hardware categories, and the various penalties for that, and the effects of bionics on super powers and psychic abilities - so there's a lot to consider. I think some categories are essentially incompatible with others - two different special training categories at the same time wouldn't be very feasible, for example, as many of them require a lifetime of training.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

The only time I'd allow a character to be dual-classed would be if he were dual-classing some of the minor hero types (stage magician, super sleuth, etc.). I might be inclined to allowed a hardware character dual-class into super-invention or robotics.

The problem with dual-classing is that it takes away too much from the actual role-playing aspect of being one of the 2 OCCs anyhow.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Mephisto wrote:it's True that Rifter 37 does have rules for dual classing, and overall that's fine, but I think the "Jack of All Trades" should be a separate class as well. A magic weapon holding, minor psychic martial artist isn't really that overpowering, and even a Mental Genius Super athlete with augmenting body armor isn't out of place in HU2. I'd write it up, but I'm not sure how to approach it, since it would take a little from pretty much every class, without being as good as a dedicated class.

I think the only way to do it is to take some from every class, and end up with a class that's not as powerful as a dedicated class - there has to be a trade-off (unless you're going for the Mega Hero version, I guess). Hopefully, what they lose in pure power they'd make up for with a modicum of versatility.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

I've never seen anything wrong with a certain amount of it. I mean, come on, a Hardware character creating a bot or PA to use in fighting crime. Or an ancient master or Phys Training with a magic weapon to use, make alot of sense.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I would only allow the minor hero to be mix with Hardware or Special training PC.

What Minor powers do you think will wokr for the Mixs?
Prodigy
Explorer

Unread post by Prodigy »

Question, does the dual class character have to select an Achilles Heel? Rifter 37 states one Achilles Heel per Mege-Power, but the Dual Class hero does not select a Mega-Power. Opinions? Answers?
sine yo pity on da runny kind
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Prodigy wrote:Question, does the dual class character have to select an Achilles Heel? Rifter 37 states one Achilles Heel per Mege-Power, but the Dual Class hero does not select a Mega-Power. Opinions? Answers?

It's not a mega power, so rules regarding mega powers do not apply. Not much of a question there.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

Instead on an Achille's heel, a duel class has the disadvantage of having to split their XP between the two classes.

I think duel classing works and adds more options to the game. After all, it does claim you can create any type of character.
There are so many combinations it's ridiculous. Even types that may seem too powerful to combine can be hashed out by good GM/Player compromise.
The GM just has realize they will be dealing with something more powerful and versatile than a single class and maybe something closer to a Mega, if not a Mega level charcter.

For example I created an Experiment:Chemical Enhancement / Symbiote character. At first the GM was dubious, but I convinced him with a cool origin story.

A secret cabal of mages found or created the Symbiote somehow. The creature is either demonic or vampiric and needs a host to survive.
My character was terminally ill and either volunteered or was kidnapped to be the subject of the cabal's alchemical experiments, saving his life.
What they didn't tell him is the Experiment also made him the perfect host for the Symbiote.
After realizing what they had done to him, he went a little nuts and found a way to escape.
He was never really sure what they had planned for him.
They may assume he's dead, but are not likely to let such a valuable and dangerous asset to just disappear without searching for him.

So the origin is sketchy enough for the GM to decide what's really going on.
Then we hashed out the powers.
The Experiment category works pretty much as is.
The Symbiote has a high animal intelligence. It looks like a grotesque fusion of a bat and a spider fused to his spine, it's legs gripped around his chest and down his arms.
The thing's head is just below the base of his skull providing eyes in the back of his head, fangs wrap around to his jugular veins and bat-like wings grow out of it's back.

It provides the following special abilities:
1. Eyes in the back of the head
2. +3 save vs. Magic
And provides the following minor powers:
1. Flight: Winged
2. Nightstalking
3. Quills & Spines (Powers Unlimited 1)
4. Supervision: Paranormal Sight (Powers Unlimited 1)

He's learning to use his abilities to hunt supernatural predators.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”