Weapon Mage OCC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thefirstromeo
D-Bee

Weapon Mage OCC

Unread post by thefirstromeo »

Rifter 10 has this OOC called Weapon Mage.
as I read it I noticed three undefined problems: I was hoping some knew the true answers to them. Or tell me where I can find them.

below will be the description as per the book, followed by what I was thinking when I read it.

1. Increase spell casting ability by 25% (bonuses max at 100%): 150 PPE
ok so not really clear as to what they really meant or tried to say.

2. Impervious to one type of attack (this can only be used once): 250 PPE
ok so I was thinking we have to be very specific with is one, like:
impervious to fire & heat
impervious to cold/numbing attacks
impervious to poison/toxic gas
impervious to energy attacks?: like lasers or lighting?
impervious to kinetic attacks such at bullets, punches ,sword strikes?
They were very vague with picking the type of attack one can be impervious to

3. Do extra damage to a particular kind of being ( can be instilled as many times as desired) 200 PPE.
But it never states the amount of damage that can be added, or hints to what that extra damage might be.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Weapon Mage OCC

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Honestly, man?

Ignore most Rifter material. Entertainment value only. Every once in awhile there's a diamond in the rough, but most of the Rifter material is pure rubbish.

The official stuff in the Rifters is always pretty solid.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Ignore most Rifter material. Entertainment value only. Every once in awhile there's a diamond in the rough, but most of the Rifter material is pure rubbish.
:eek:

/disagree
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

The Dark Elf wrote:

:eek:

/disagree
Yes, i as well tend to Strongly Disagree with this statement. I have used Rifter source material hundereds of time in the past and still do to this day. For instance the HUL powers found in Rifters tend to be More efficiant and far better written than their gimped, slimmed, and chopped up PU counter parts. Additionally the story arcs, HLS, and world info often fills HUGE voids found in the books. New Splicer mods, Weapons, Magic Classes & Spells, and fun to read stories. The Rifter Nightspawn/bane Morphus charts are Far and above anything made "Official" thus far and tend towards the Fanastic. The psychic juicers, Gladiator OCC's, Rifts Media guide, Palladium Golom & Candle mage and its history, Dead Regin world info, Computer hacking info, the Uzel RCC (n-bane), alternate worlds, Expanded Shifters MCC supplimentals. The Changling Metamporph class is a BIG Yes. Martial Arts for ALL games, Mystic Chinas Chi-Magic Rift conversion are THE BEST... All Very great info.

Obviously SOME things in the Rifters from time to time are pointless, needless, tactless, fruitless, Way to Geeky, way to confusing, poorly explained, and poorly written. But to simply throw the babe out with bath water...
Nerp.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, i wouldn't go so far as to categorise everything in the rifters to be useless. i'll grant you, there's a lot of stuff i'm not particularly impressed with, but there's definitely good material to be had from it as well.

i would agree 100% with any statement along the lines of "not everything in the rifter is good" or "there's stuff in the rifter i wouldn't touch with a twenty-nine-and-a-half foot pole" or even "be careful when using material from the rifter because a lot of it isn't very good", but i wouldn't by any means go so far as to say that almost everything in the rifter is garbage (and some of the stuff that i personally consider garbage is no doubt an amazing article to someone else)
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

There can be some good stuff in the Rifter, but a lot of it has serious balance issues or is just plain crazy over the top like the Janissary O.C.C. that just really needs to be ignored at best or even burned out of the book.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Daniel Stoker wrote:There can be some good stuff in the Rifter, but a lot of it has serious balance issues or is just plain crazy over the top like the Janissary O.C.C. that just really needs to be ignored at best or even burned out of the book.

Daniel Stoker

The Jannissary O.C.C. in Rifter #28 is an optional O.C.C. for players. Which means GMs have say. They are better used as a plot device/adventure then as a player character. Which is why they are optional in the first place. I thought it was a well written rifter article and certianly shouldn't be burned. Send me your Rifter #28 for proper disposal. :P
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I won't argue that the Weapon Mage is rubbish. It toooootally is.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Wooly wrote:The Jannissary O.C.C. in Rifter #28 is an optional O.C.C. for players. Which means GMs have say. They are better used as a plot device/adventure then as a player character. Which is why they are optional in the first place. I thought it was a well written rifter article and certianly shouldn't be burned. Send me your Rifter #28 for proper disposal. :P

It's not even a good plot device, it'd be better as something the Gene-Splicers did and is generations beyond anything that Bradford should be able to do.

And really, like I'd let ANY book get out of my grubby little hands.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Wooly wrote:The Jannissary O.C.C. in Rifter #28 is an optional O.C.C. for players. Which means GMs have say. They are better used as a plot device/adventure then as a player character. Which is why they are optional in the first place. I thought it was a well written rifter article and certianly shouldn't be burned. Send me your Rifter #28 for proper disposal. :P

It's not even a good plot device, it'd be better as something the Gene-Splicers did and is generations beyond anything that Bradford should be able to do.

And really, like I'd let ANY book get out of my grubby little hands.

Daniel Stoker

I correct that particular OCC using the Eugenics heroes rules in Powers unlimited 2, which is seriously one of the best HU suplements I've ever had for that section.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

To simply say Rifter material is worthless is dead wrong. Like others have said some material doesn't have value, there is some stuff from the Rifter I will never use. With one article, I happen to be running a rather successful PBP game.

In the end it is a matter of opinion in regards to a GM using stuff from the Rifter. Good GM's will pick and choose what they want to use and what they won't use. Other will allow everything because all they are looking for is a fun game where the PC's just lay waste to everything. Then you have those GM's who won't use anything from the Rifter because it is just 'too much'.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I'm just gonna rewrite the Weapon Mage, since it comes up so often.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Jason Richards wrote:I'm just gonna rewrite the Weapon Mage, since it comes up so often.

rewriting occs seems to be in style these days.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

rat_bastard wrote:rewriting occs seems to be in style these days.

Which, IMO, is a good thing.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

certainly better than if people don't have the interest to make it their own.
thefirstromeo
D-Bee

Unread post by thefirstromeo »

Topic is closed thank you.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Jason Richards wrote:I won't argue that the Weapon Mage is rubbish. It toooootally is.

Didn't you make it?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Rifts®”