Burn Cycle: Gates of Hell Epic Campaign

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

Burn Cycle: Gates of Hell Epic Campaign

Unread post by Crucible »

This is a long awaited game that has taken me a lot of work to finish. I was going to create a tech-wizard type warrior who can only use TW but not actually make them. My players and I though about North Tower (a creation that can be seen on this board) and we made them out to be more purist in their ways. So far to make North Tower unique we have...

-Mystic Scholars
-Blade Mages (the special forces of North Tower)
-***Chaos Man-at-Arms - Use Chaos Magic add +3d6 to PPE, Minor or Major Psionic (roll on a specialized table) and choose from the Palladium Rpg Main Book.
-Chaos Bowmaster (Longbowman), Chaos Knight (Knight OCC), and Chaos Ranger (Ranger OCC)

You will also find (from the Palladium Rpg Main Book only) Warlocks, Diabolists, Psi-Sensitives, Psi-Healers, Psi-Mystics (not Rifts Mystics), and a Wizard may be chosen.

North Tower is steam punk in nature and relies on almost NO technology...Mystic Scholars and Blade Mages are the most worldly.

Difference between Mystic Scholar and Wizard. Wizards may have gone to the academy, but the Mystic Scholar is a serious student of magic to the point of learning a few extras. Arcomi is offered to Mystic Scolars only, we have another added gift that they learn called Sorcery. Its an ability that adds to the PPE and allows spells to need less PPE to cast. Sorcerers also gain PPE back a little quicker and can weave their spells in more or less different ways.

TW is not allowed.

We need rank and file troops that are powered in some way or another. We want them to be unique. We WILL probably be using the Soldier OCC from Palladium RPG Main Book, but does anyone have an idea on how to power them, or maybe a better idea. The other OCC's are written in stone, this is the hardest.

Thanks in advance.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Lenwen

Re: Burn Cycle: Gates of Hell Epic Campaign

Unread post by Lenwen »

Crucible wrote:This is a long awaited game that has taken me a lot of work to finish. I was going to create a tech-wizard type warrior who can only use TW but not actually make them.

TW is not allowed.

I for one find it truly funny that you create a class nearly exclusivly .. dedicated to the Techno-Wizard created items ..

Then Ban that class alltogether .. (so now no one can create the items/weapons that the Techno-wizard type warrior's soul reason for being a class of its own. )

And do not see a problem with it ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crucible
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
Crucible wrote:This is a long awaited game that has taken me a lot of work to finish. I was going to create a tech-wizard type warrior who can only use TW but not actually make them.

TW is not allowed.

I for one find it truly funny that you create a class nearly exclusivly .. dedicated to the Techno-Wizard created items ..

Then Ban that class alltogether .. (so now no one can create the items/weapons that the Techno-wizard type warrior's soul reason for being a class of its own. )

I must not have been clear, I said that I was going to but didn't. We then decided that North Tower would be a purist institution.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Crucible wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

TW is not allowed.

I must not have been clear, I said that I was going to but didn't. We then decided that North Tower would be a purist institution.

Ahh ok gotcha ..

That was a little .. wierd.. as it were reading it . hehe
Crucible
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

TW is not allowed.

Ahh ok gotcha ..

No worries, for the chaos Man at Arms we made a chart for their available spells. A couple chaos and a couple invocations.

We are going to use the Soldier OCC from Palladium, but wanted some ideas. Character creation ideas. Got any?

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Crucible wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

TW is not allowed.

Ahh ok gotcha ..

No worries, for the chaos Man at Arms we made a chart for their available spells. A couple chaos and a couple invocations.

We are going to use the Soldier OCC from Palladium, but wanted some ideas. Character creation ideas. Got any?

Depends ..

How did you wish to set up this class? Are the going to be subclasses ?

a Melee subclass ? a Ranged subclass ?

or simply put 1 class alltogether ?
Crucible
Champion

These are the Chaos Man at Arms. They are like Special Teams along with the Blade Mages.

-***Chaos Man-at-Arms - Use Chaos Magic add +3d6 to PPE, Minor or Major Psionic (roll on a specialized table) and choose from the Palladium Rpg Main Book.
-Chaos Bowmaster (Longbowman), Chaos Knight (Knight OCC), and Chaos Ranger (Ranger OCC)

What I am looking to do is make the Soldier OCC from Palladium more unique.

Bowmasters gain a form of Aikido (given another name), Chaos Knights use something like Kendo, Chaos Rangers use something like Commando. Of course the Soldier will be limited to the basics, but I'm stumped as to how to make them more effective in the world of Rifts without Technology.

Crucible
Champion

nothing?

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

not unless you want to make another class that equips them with magic items (i assume the minister just wouldn't fit, even if you had a level 15 around to mass-produce holy weapons and armor... the key being that said weapons and armor are holy items, and are presumably intended for use by the faithful, not just as a "hey, let's mass produce them and issue them as standard equipment" kinda deal).

so yeah... overall, i got nothing.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Crucible wrote:What I am looking to do is make the Soldier OCC from Palladium more unique.

Use all his skills for language and literacy.

That's a unique soldier from PFPRG.

I mean, I'm not sure what you're looking for.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Crucible wrote:nothing?

Not yet no.

I understand you're trying to make a special forces type soilder .. I see that you have already subclassed them ..

So I do not understand what you are askin of me ..
Crucible
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:not unless you want to make another class that equips them with magic items (i assume the minister just wouldn't fit, even if you had a level 15 around to mass-produce holy weapons and armor... the key being that said weapons and armor are holy items, and are presumably intended for use by the faithful, not just as a "hey, let's mass produce them and issue them as standard equipment" kinda deal).

so yeah... overall, i got nothing.

Well, I was actually reserving that for the Knights.

What I am asking for with the Soldier is for any creative ideas. ANY. It could be outrageously stupid. I take ideas from here and use them. Someone on another site said that it would be best if Chaos magic would be restricted to the Rangers. It wasn't hard to agree. I found something else for the Longbowmen and Knights.

The Soldiers as in the OP are rank and file, but I wanted to make them unique and formidable. Maybe something you guys saw in a Rifter?

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Just how many players do you have for this game?
Five, so far I have a Blade Mage and Mystic Scholar. I was told recently that one player may be interested in rolling up a Psi-Healer or Psi-Sensitive.

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
Crucible wrote:
Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Just how many players do you have for this game?
Five, so far I have a Blade Mage and Mystic Scholar. I was told recently that one player may be interested in rolling up a Psi-Healer or Psi-Sensitive.

Sounds good, are you going to put a cap on the number of players or hunt down as many as you can.

Its the same group for 15yrs. Sometimes we get new guys and I won't say no.

Crucible
Champion

Made some changes...

Chaos Rangers - I have a set up that allows the Rangers to use Chaos Magic.

Knights of North Tower - Actually are Palladin that can use Laser Magic

Blue Zone Bowman - Made as a mixture of Blue Zone Mages and Longbowmen

Blade Mages may use Chaos Magic instead of Invocations

still working on the Soldier OCC (as in Palladium RPG). Sure some will have some awesome weaponry, but North Tower is a purist society devoid of technical weapons and TW. Anyone like to chime in on a safe addition to the Soldier OCC...?

You don't have to agree with what I'm doing, not asking for approval. I do wish for input. I have a few Rifters and almost every book. If I do not have the book or Rifter I'll let you know. Thanks in advance.

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

are they mundane or can they have a psionic/magical edge to them? I guess they'd have to if they have no tech or TW, then they'd be next to useless against any MDC enemy, leaving only psi/magic to fall back on.

I don't know how much magical resources this place can draw from. If it is like Dweomer, just give them some magical abilities, weapons and you're golden. (The South America books with the Inca's might be a nice place to steal from)

or

maybe go with a war priest, who can inspire, bless the common soldiers, so that their simple weapons are capable of dealing with MDC threats and their armor capable of taking MD. That way you don't have this huge force of uber magical soldiers, but instead a few sergeants at arms who inspire and lead his troops, while giving them the ability to stand up to Rifts level threats.

or

maybe have a ritual that embedds pieces of the Tower into the soldiers, which they respect and is a symbol of their faith, the pieces become a channel for their Faith, turning them into magical powerhouses, capable of dealing with the many threats of Rifts earth. Combine their SDC/HPs into MDC, boost their strength to SN or give them an aura that lets them do MDC with SDC weapons. allow them to take monsterous amounts of damage before dying, relying instead on faith of purpose to keep them going, etc...

just some thoughts.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:Made some changes...

still working on the Soldier OCC (as in Palladium RPG). Sure some will have some awesome weaponry, but North Tower is a purist society devoid of technical weapons and TW. Anyone like to chime in on a safe addition to the Soldier OCC...?

You don't have to agree with what I'm doing, not asking for approval. I do wish for input. I have a few Rifters and almost every book. If I do not have the book or Rifter I'll let you know. Thanks in advance.

Do you have the Rifter with war magic, that my be a good choise for the Soldier OCC in your game.

War Magic? Not sure if I have that Rifter, but which is it?

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:Made some changes...

Do you have the Rifter with war magic, that my be a good choise for the Soldier OCC in your game.

War Magic? Not sure if I have that Rifter, but which is it?

Rifter #29

I don't see why not, but without the Hand to Hand and innate abilities. I think that I will allow for them to select 3 spells in all. One at level 3, one at level 9, one at level 15 or something to that effect.

Maybe...select a spell at levels 1, 3, 7, 9, and 15...what do you think?

Crucible
Champion

Pretty good stuff. Levels 12 and up will be foridden though...LOL.

Crucible
Champion

***UPDATE*** I have started working on MOS/Classifications for Soldier OCC. War Magic Specialist is just one of them.

On another note, two of my players have chosen two more character classes...Blue Zone Bowman (Elven) and a Psi-Healer (Ogre).

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:***UPDATE*** I have started working on MOS/Classifications for Soldier OCC. War Magic Specialist is just one of them.

On another note, two of my players have chosen two more character classes...Blue Zone Bowman (Elven) and a Psi-Healer (Ogre).

What races are you allowing.

Humans. Elves, Wolfen, Ogres(that took me aback, but I allowed it) Atlanteans, Dwarves, Mutants of almost any sort. Any mortals. If you can justify it I'll allow it within reason.

If a guy said, "Hey man, I have an awesome idea for a Grackletooth." I'd listen first. Once had a Grackletooth Operator...worked out well.

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Will this bbe part of Rift's world or a stand alone game or an alternate dimention?

Its a part of my canon. So its Rifts world.

Crucible
Champion

Mystic Scholar(Male-Human) - Field Doctor of Metaphysical Sciences. Training to be an expeditionary team leader.

Blade Mage(Male-Human) - Favors the axe, but carries a couple of other edged weapons. Makes himself out to be a Merc to most others except the Mystic Scholar. He is the bodyguard and best friend of the Mystic Scholar.

Blue Zone Bowman(Female-Elf) - Assigned to the Chaos Ranger as Field Aide. Aspires to join an expeditionary team.

Chaos Ranger(Male-Human) - Trained for expeditionary teams. Has been assigned to a Mystic Field Scientist (see above). Was recently assigned an Elven Blue Zone Bowman as his Field Aide.

Psi-Healer(Male-Ogre) - Was orphaned and found by an expeditionary team as a child. Showed several "talents" in his youth. Is pretty attractive as far as Ogres go and is of Scrupulous alignment. Is combat oriented. Idea taken from THIS board.

This is my final group as the characters were finally finished last night.

The Mystic Scholar is made based on the Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition character class. Added to make it the North Tower Mystic Scholar. You roll on the education level with One, Two, Three, and Four years of academy...Military Specialist, Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, and Ph. D. Arcomi is availabel to Military Specialist and Doctorates. The Sorcery Special Ability is limited to Doctors. Ed levels lower than Military Specialist may opt for the Wizard OCC from Palladium Fantasy.

Blade Mages are adept at all edged weapons must be written down separately. Instead of Invocations, the Blade Mage may pick up Chaos Magic or War Magic at half of the amount (roll 1d4, divide by 2 lowest amount is 1).

Blue Zone Bowman are made from the Long Bowman. You add these abilities from the Blue Zone Mage (Chaos Earth magic book): Can only cast spells when on a Ley Line, can only cast one spell per melee round, PPE availability, channeling limitations, Becomes MDC being on Ley-Line, charge projectilie weapons (not bullets...only arrows, thrown weapons, etc...like a certain Marvel character) with PPE instead of fire energy bolts, float on ley lines, Blue Zone regeneration, teleport out of blue zone, starts with six Invocations.

Chaos Rangers are created as Rangers in the Palladium Fantasy book, at character creation choose 3 Chaos Spells. Add one at levels 3,6,7,9, and 15.

Psi-Healers are made as the Palladium Fantasy Book, only change is add two WP Ancient skills and they also start with bonuses in ISP and PPE. Also ME and PE (+1d4)

Crucible
Champion

This campaign has gotten a lot of attention in certain circles in my town. I got a huge surprise today. One of my old players from 10yrs ago contacted me on Facebook wanting in. He was in the original Burn Cycle. We had the Rifts Main Book, Atlantis, Triax & NGR, and Robotech back then. Good times.

He left us back in '99 due to us going back and forth from WoD, to Palladium Megaverse, to WotC.

He left during a continuation game for the original Burn Cycle and had a character that only made it to 3rd level. Wow! Was playing a Super-Spy who was secretly a member of the Vanguard. Never really played that long, he is now thinking of what to play. He has noted that he likes the idea of playing a Watchtower character.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:This campaign has gotten a lot of attention in certain circles in my town. I got a huge surprise today. One of my old players from 10yrs ago contacted me on Facebook wanting in. He was in the original Burn Cycle. We had the Rifts Main Book, Atlantis, Triax & NGR, and Robotech back then. Good times.

He left us back in '99 due to us going back and forth from WoD, to Palladium Megaverse, to WotC.

He left during a continuation game for the original Burn Cycle and had a character that only made it to 3rd level. Wow! Was playing a Super-Spy who was secretly a member of the Vanguard. Never really played that long, he is now thinking of what to play. He has noted that he likes the idea of playing a Watchtower character.

Thats cool that an old player wants to get back it the action.

He stopped by to mt the family. When we stopped speaking I had no wife, kids, or sobriety...LOL. Now I'm married with almost seven children (my new daughter Amarachi will be born on the 21st), and I've been sober for 2yrs on the 15th.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:This campaign has gotten a lot of attention in certain circles in my town. I got a huge surprise today. One of my old players from 10yrs ago contacted me on Facebook wanting in. He was in the original Burn Cycle. We had the Rifts Main Book, Atlantis, Triax & NGR, and Robotech back then. Good times.

Thats cool that an old player wants to get back it the action.

He stopped by to mt the family. When we stopped speaking I had no wife, kids, or sobriety...LOL. Now I'm married with almost seven children (my new daughter Amarachi will be born on the 21st), and I've been sober for 2yrs on the 15th.

Good to hear.

This is going to be a GREAT game. He has decided to have come from a Rift as an HU2 character.

Crucible
Champion

okay, what came up is that he wishes to play a Hunter from HU2 who gets Rifted while looking for a Relic of some sort. The game will start with the low level group investigating that.

I also a have player who has decided (new player) that he wishes to play a Monk from PFRPG. I need to know how the dual Martial Arts work and where to look at the Rifts conversions for Chi powers.

Anyone?

Crucible
Champion

Here is what happened, he REALLY wanted the Monk. REALLY. He just didn't like the MA rules from N&SS, I didn't blame him for it. :-P

So, we decided what was best for him and the game was to take the Monk OCC, Shao-Lin, and a twist. Since this character will be coming from a Palladium FRPG type of world that has HU2 type things going on, I allowed him to choose either 3 minor abilities, or 1 major and two Physical Psionics. He chose the three minor (as I thought he would) He took Extraordinary PP, Radar, & Healing Factor.

Our other player (his girlfriend) is still looking. I showed her the Kirn from Manhunter and thats a go, but we still need an OCC.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:Here is what happened, he REALLY wanted the Monk. REALLY. He just didn't like the MA rules from N&SS, I didn't blame him for it. :-P

So, we decided what was best for him and the game was to take the Monk OCC, Shao-Lin, and a twist. Since this character will be coming from a Palladium FRPG type of world that has HU2 type things going on, I allowed him to choose either 3 minor abilities, or 1 major and two Physical Psionics. He chose the three minor (as I thought he would) He took Extraordinary PP, Radar, & Healing Factor.

Our other player (his girlfriend) is still looking. I showed her the Kirn from Manhunter and thats a go, but we still need an OCC.

Is his girl friend a play er or it this her first game.

They've been playing one on one games for a few years.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
Crucible wrote:Here is what happened, he REALLY wanted the Monk. REALLY. He just didn't like the MA rules from N&SS, I didn't blame him for it. :-P

Is his girl friend a play er or it this her first game.

They've been playing one on one games for a few years.

Has she showm interest in any piticular OCC, I could sudjest a few if I knew what she liked.

She had been allowed to play a Mystic Knight with Divine Power, Immortality, and a CK Psi-Sword in her BF's game. I offered MK, CK, Mystic, LLW, etc and no takes. Then she told me that she TOO wanted a modified character from Palladium FRPG like the rest (except my Mystic Study guy). I would be okay with nearly anything that fits the Purist Mentality of North Tower.

Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Cool maybe she'll throw a Druid with shapeshifting at you.

Thats just it, I was left in the difficult position of picking for her. My buddy emailed me a little bit ago and said that she wants me to surprise her. I have a reputation for coming up with (or stealing) good character ideas.

You said a Druid...hmmm. I'm thinking about opening up a few other books that I have.

Crucible
Champion

My monk had to retool his character. He said that the Healing Factor wasn't in keeping, so he took Glide instead. (I sorta mentioned it a little in another thread). She actually decided on a Kirn Psi-Tech who was born and raised in Psyscape. She is NOT a member of North Tower or Watch Tower. She actually is a Refugee Transporter working with some guys to bring Tolkeen Refugees to North Tower. The guys that she was with have all decided to stay in North Tower instead of going back to Psyscape. One of which is a wealthy merchant who is also a Major Psionic (once the Leader of a small town near Tolkeen that was wrecked early). He gave her his Behemoth Explorer. Its going to be a great game!

Crucible
Champion

We had our very first game in about half a decade. This game kicked major buttocks and has a major storyline. I added elements of the Splugorth and made it seem as though they were up to something, the players saw my Minister OCC in action and the true history behind them is near to exposure, oh man they rescued some Tolkeen refugees from Splugorth Slavers. Dealt with several realizations on ARCHIE and the New Navy. The game was really good and everything worked out way too well. It was a great game.

Thanks to everyone who added their input.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:We had our very first game in about half a decade. This game kicked major buttocks and has a major storyline. I added elements of the Splugorth and made it seem as though they were up to something, the players saw my Minister OCC in action and the true history behind them is near to exposure, oh man they rescued some Tolkeen refugees from Splugorth Slavers. Dealt with several realizations on ARCHIE and the New Navy. The game was really good and everything worked out way too well. It was a great game.

Thanks to everyone who added their input.

I glad you had a great game. My first game showed some rust.

I must say I'm suprized to see Splugorth in your game, considering how much you seem to hate them.

Coming to the boards made me see that this would be an exciting way to open the game up and on a seriously horrific note. It was a sweet game though, I have to admit. It was supposed to be December, but I was ready and ran it. It was late before we stopped. Not sure what time, but we covered major ground.

Crucible
Champion

The Behemoth Explorer came in handy. Watching my fighter characters take the stand in the rescue and my Kirn Psi Tech come out blasting...MAN!!! Then the Mystic Scholar made House look like a mental Smurf. Man he was constantly analyzing and casting support spells. It was a great great game.

Crucible
Champion

The next game is this Saturday. I will update you all as soon as it goes down.

nineveh
D-Bee

Unread post by nineveh »

This sounds pretty cool, hope we hear more about this.

Return to “Rifts®”