Not enough games?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Not enough games?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Alright, that seems to be a consistant point brought up by people who attended; for my part, I was slightly relieved that when it was time for my game on Sunday my table had been added to the table next to it, giving me an out; I wasn't ready for it, at least not ready enough.

So Right now I'm committing to run at least two games next year and more importantly, to be ready for them long before the fact; Maybe not Braden ready, but ready (that guy has a fricken' book of info for every character!)

How about we get some more commitments now; a pact of sorts to help make Palladium Books Open House 2010 an awesome fun event for everyone?

Let's do the math. To make it simple, let's say a minimum of 18 games going at all times; with six players (and 1 GM) per game that gives 126 attendees non-stop gaming through the con. Say, four hours per game, two half hour breaks for lunch and dinner, and gaming from 10AM to 11PM Friday and Saturday, 10AM to 6PM on Sunday. So total 144 games to be run over the weekend (VIP night should be separate). GM's can of course run the same game more than once, but ideally planning at least this many games ahead of time keeps the ball rolling; pickup games and last minute entries can be added as the Open House grows.

There's still room for more game tables to be set up next year, it will just require a bit of creative layout; I plan to get there early enough next time to help alot with that. Thanks to Kathy for the Awesome job this year!

Thoughts? Comments?

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Re: Not enough games?

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

I know Sunday had alot of cancelled games, but Friday surprised me when NO ONE signed up to be apart of some Aliens Unlimited goodness. Although, I do thank Carmen B. and Shawn H. for showing interest in wanting to play. Sadly, with no names and no show (except Carmen), I belieive it was the only game at the POH to be cancelled due to no players.

BUT, I am throwing this out right now. This game will be ran at the Open House 2010 for any and all to join. In fact, I'd love to have the whole convention at this one game. What is it?

Name: World Ablaze
Game: Megaversal (That means ALL Palladium games)
Time: Friday or Saturday
Number of Players: No Limit (1+)
Age Req: 13+ (only due to my mouth and some violence)
Description: This is a B.Y.O.C. game. That's right 'Bring Your Own Character'. It must be book legal by my standings, which shouldn't be hard as long as no one tries anything 'clever'. Any Character, from Any Game, at Any Level. You have almost a full year to prepare.

Yeah, I've gone crazy and by posting this, I'm now bound to it. It has been written, so let it be played!

-Lonnie
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

ApocalypseZero wrote:Yeah, I've gone crazy and by posting this, I'm now bound to it. It has been written, so let it be played!

Yep, I'd agree. You have gone crazy. "A few chainsaws short of a horror movie" crazy. But I like the idea. :ok:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

MADMANMIKE wrote:How about we get some more commitments now; a pact of sorts to help make Palladium Books Open House 2010 an awesome fun event for everyone?

I ran 3 scheduled games at Open House. 2 on Friday and 1 on Saturday. I ran a pick-up game at the hotel Saturday night/Sunday wee-hours.

That's 4 games and 12 hours of mostly being on my feet shouting...and great fun.

However, with the exception of the pick-up game (8 players), each scheduled game was only for 4-6 players.

I hereby commit to running THREE scheduled games of three hours each for 8-10 players each game for next Open House.

Perhaps even all on the same day!!!
(which might allow me to actually PLAY in a game next year)
ImageImageImage
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

.......I think maybe, i could run a game or two.......maybe
Buck the System
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

At any convention you have to pick and choose and make tough choices about what and when to play. I can't imagine that there weren't enough games; there were SO MANY! A lot of scheduling is that games stack up so that a lot of them start/stop at the same times, so maybe they could be staggered a bit to make scheduling easier for people that come in an hour late or have to leave an hour early.

As for more games going on at once, I honestly don't know how it could be managed. It was already sooooo loud. Add in the fact that there will be another 8-12 palettes of books next year, and it's gonna get pretty cramped.

Hopefully everybody had a great time and, even if you got shuffled out from a game or had some sort of issue, you were able to grab a pick-up session or hang out with other gamers, writers, and artists.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

I think next year I may reserve a couple seats each game for walk ups only. These would be first come first serve when the game starts. I also usually have one extra character beyond what the game lists just in case extra people show up. I only used the extra character on Sunday.

I was surprised because both my PF games were over-booked, but when the games started I had open seats. I sent word to people who had asked about my games that there were openings and my table still ended up full still. So, in the future check in to games you thought were full once they start. You might get lucky.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

Levi wrote:I think next year I may reserve a couple seats each game for walk ups only. These would be first come first serve when the game starts. I also usually have one extra character beyond what the game lists just in case extra people show up. I only used the extra character on Sunday.

I was surprised because both my PF games were over-booked, but when the games started I had open seats. I sent word to people who had asked about my games that there were openings and my table still ended up full still. So, in the future check in to games you thought were full once they start. You might get lucky.

I try to have more pre-gens ready than the game calls for as well; at my first BtS game Friday morning, I used up all the characters and one fellow - I wish I caught his name - played an ordinary person; we didn't even have a character sheet for him. He was just "that guy." During my other BtS game, Saturday night, many people had signed up, but didn't show. We managed to fill the table and game on.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Jason Richards wrote:At any convention you have to pick and choose and make tough choices about what and when to play. I can't imagine that there weren't enough games; there were SO MANY! A lot of scheduling is that games stack up so that a lot of them start/stop at the same times, so maybe they could be staggered a bit to make scheduling easier for people that come in an hour late or have to leave an hour early.

As for more games going on at once, I honestly don't know how it could be managed. It was already sooooo loud. Add in the fact that there will be another 8-12 palettes of books next year, and it's gonna get pretty cramped.

Hopefully everybody had a great time and, even if you got shuffled out from a game or had some sort of issue, you were able to grab a pick-up session or hang out with other gamers, writers, and artists.

I'm just saying that since the chances are good that there will be more people next year, and that this year many people felt they didn't get to game good because the GM's attention was divided between too many players, committing now to running more games will give us all a better chance of running smaller games; likewise this leaves more room for extra players.

As to the warehouse being crowded, there are several options for arranging the space that could maximize room and minimize noise carry over. Getting there early to help set up is in my plans for next year, and I've got a knack for organizing things like that.

Heck, I once fit 27 full paper sacks of groceries into the trunk of an '89 Toyota Celica, fitting a few extra tables into that warehouse will be a piece of cake.

rimdall wrote:I try to have more pre-gens ready than the game calls for as well; at my first BtS game Friday morning, I used up all the characters and one fellow - I wish I caught his name - played an ordinary person; we didn't even have a character sheet for him. He was just "that guy." During my other BtS game, Saturday night, many people had signed up, but didn't show. We managed to fill the table and game on.

I was invited on Saturday night to playtest a new setting that a guy had come up with for Time Travel. I had to run over to my computer for a second first and when I got there he didn't have a character for me. So I made it on the fly and had an awesome time in the game. The GM comes over and asks "is your character psychic?" so I said yes. After a few minutes of the intro I settled on Psi-Ghost as a class and it worked out splendidly.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
I was invited on Saturday night to playtest a new setting that a guy had come up with for Time Travel. I had to run over to my computer for a second first and when I got there he didn't have a character for me. So I made it on the fly and had an awesome time in the game. The GM comes over and asks "is your character psychic?" so I said yes. After a few minutes of the intro I settled on Psi-Ghost as a class and it worked out splendidly.

-Mike <8]

"That guy" in my game provided one of the more memorable moments; they had just encountered the supernatural evil and in the course of everyone stating their actions, he said he was trying to not wet his pants. He made his roll. :lol:
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

My issue is more the all the games were 4 hours and there was the 2 hour gaps between games your running or playing in.

What to do during that unlike gencon theres not the large dealers hall of things to browse or get pickup demos of.

May be have something like the zomboclyps running in a different sincaro that it could just keep going and going. that a person could jump in and play untill thier next session.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

ApocalypseZero wrote:Sadly, with no names and no show (except Carmen), I belieive it was the only game at the POH to be cancelled due to no players.

That was due to the way table sign-up was done. I would have so been there if I had known it was not full that morning. :)
Next time they will do sign up different.. and all games will be full I bet. :)
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

I hate to say this but perhaps the GOLLY-GEE OFFICIAL SCHEDULE OF GAMES shouldn't be cobbled together LAST-MINUTE and posted in an obscure manner.

Bah, this same thing happened last year. One thing is consistent: Palladium + Schedules = depressing results

Perhaps they could *gasp!* DELEGATE forming a good schedule to someone with the time to do so.

Unlike many with gripes but no solution, I'm even willing to stick my neck out and say it bluntly:

I CAN DO IT BETTER, AND I'LL DO IT FOR FREE.
ImageImageImage
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

The Game Master wrote:I CAN DO IT BETTER, AND I'LL DO IT FOR FREE.

So abrasive! ;)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Augur
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Augur »

Jason Richards wrote:
The Game Master wrote:I CAN DO IT BETTER, AND I'LL DO IT FOR FREE.

So abrasive! ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark!
ImageImageImage
Reguoc
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Reguoc »

I will be running at least 3 games again next year. I think I will most likely do somehting in the same style as my Dead Reign games this year with one scenario leading to the next. I definately enjoyed running those scenarios and seeing the players have enough fun to come back and play their same characters in the later scenarios. I opened up my games to more players by just altering the sign up sheets and bringing in a few more characters. The quick role rules make it crazy easy to do that in a game like Dead Reign, but it would be a bit harder in some of the other systems.
Ryan McDaniel
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I pledge to run at least three games, just like I did this year. One for the VIP night, one Friday, and one Saturday.

1) VIP Game: Sovietski Mayhem
2) Heroes Unlimited
3) Splicers
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I had a disaster on Wednesday and had to cancel my 3 games. It was such a bummer (translation: bummer is the new keyword for screaming rants of profanity). I had such a blast at OH 2007 and I was jazzed about this one.

The sound problem is very fixable. Just hanging blankets from the walls is a good start and certainly renting sound absorbing partitions is a good option. You can cut noise down very fast with a few fixes.

Creating more room by moving boxes/pallets is a great idea, but that's manpower. It sounds like there needs to be a VIP Morning Set-Up Crew Volunteer Team to help out the PB guys. I would happily be part of that team. Me good lifting heavy stuff!

Certainly, scheduling needs to be done earlier. And that is also a good position for a volunteer. Most conventions have volunteer coordinators.

I have limited my con games to 6 players for years. I can run 10-12, but such games tend to become chaotic and break the group into sub-groups which risks alienation of less assertive players. Of course, that requires more GMs running more games.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Some scenarios I see myself running:
Rifts: Shemarian Nation: "We're off to see a Wizard"
The Young Shemarian Warrior Dora-T and her faithful Shemarian wolf 2-2 have has been sent by the great and powerful Archie to retrieve the services of a "Professional in the Field of Dimensional Anomalies", along the way she meets a Scarecrow who has lost his memory, a Chromium Guardsman who's power core has run dry and a cowardly Darkhound. hyjinks ensue.

All Palladium Systems/Bring your own character: Escape from Atlantis
You and others have been kidnapped and sold to the arena's of Atlantis, can you escape? do you want to?

Rifts: New Alexandria: Through the eye of Mars
In order to gain the ability to travel to other dimensions using a magical pyramid one must have some idea where the target Pyramids are, Alexandrian astronomers have located a Ancient pyramid on the red planet which may contain information vital to opening up other dimensions to the people of new Alexandria, can your team survive the rigors of the red planet?

Heroes Unlimited: Ultimate Pandemic Of Massive Spooky DOOM!!!
Detroit Michigan's Greatest Super Hero Super Kev has been Kidnapped by his Arch Nemesis The Subjugator! Its up to Michagan's third string heroes (all Based on freelance writers and artists) to rescue him before the Subjugator's Minions (all based on Prominent forum personalities and Rifter contributors Assemble the Engine of spooky Doom! The Subjugator's most nefarious invention!
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:Some scenarios I see myself running:
The Young Shemarian Warrior Dora-T and her faithful Shemarian wolf 2-2 have has been sent by the great and powerful Archie to retrieve the services of a "Professional in the Field of Dimensional Anomalies", along the way she meets a Scarecrow who has lost his memory, a Chromium Guardsman who's power core has run dry and a cowardly Darkhound. hyjinks ensue.

You and others have been kidnapped and sold to the arena's of Atlantis, can you escape? do you want to?

In order to gain the ability to travel to other dimensions using a magical pyramid one must have some idea where the target Pyramids are, Alexandrian astronomers have located a Ancient pyramid on the red planet which may contain information vital to opening up other dimensions to the people of new Alexandria, can your team survive the rigors of the red planet?

Detroit Michigan's Greatest Super Hero Super Kev has been Kidnapped by his Arch Nemesis The Subjugator! Its up to Michagan's third string heroes (all Based on freelance writers and artists) to rescue him before the Subjugator's Minions (all based on Prominent forum personalities and Rifter contributors Assemble the Engine of spooky Doom! The Subjugator's most nefarious invention!

I will immediately sign up for the HU2 and the Shemarrian Games
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Some scenarios I see myself running:

I will immediately sign up for the HU2 and the Shemarrian Games

The Shemarian Game could only be run on VIP night (only 4 slots, period) but the HU game would be awesome because you would have people playing fun house mirror versions of themselves.

The Kid Galactus and Roadwarrior Frank Heroes would be a team where each other's powers require each other to work but both would crave a solo career...
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

rat_bastard wrote:Rifts: New Alexandria: Through the eye of Mars

I think this one sounds interesting.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

rat_bastard wrote:The Shemarian Game could only be run on VIP night (only 4 slots, period)

Not true. Five, as Shemarrian Wolves have human-level intellect.

~ Josh
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Well since I only ran 4 sessions at the OH this year, I guess I should ramp up closer to my normal Con schedule. I will run at least 5 game sessions at OH 2010. Here are some possible/tentative days, games, and scenarios:

VIP Thursday

Rifts:Chaos Earth in the Dwarven Forge with minis.

Friday

Morning

Rifts:Chaos Earth in the Dwarven Forge with minis.

Evening

Beyond the Supernatural 2 - Battle of the Bulge - Supernatural goodness set in one of WWIIs most famous battles.

Saturday

Morning

Warpath: Urban Jungle - TBA

Sunday

Morning

Rifts - TBA
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

I ran a Palladium Fantasy game on VIP night this year - I am already starting to think about ideas for next year and hope to have 2 or 3 different adventures ready to go by then. And yes, having more games overall so we could have less people per game would be great, as I do feel the players will get more out of a game with 4-6 at the table compared to 10.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"

Return to “Palladium Open House”