Symbols

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cybermancer
Hero

Symbols

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Is it just me or is there a certain similarity between the Lazlo Societies symbol and the Vanguards symbol?

Could some last vestiges of the Lazlo Society influenced the early Vanguard?
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Symbols

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I'd noticed that some time ago by accident myself.

And I wouldnt be suprised if they either influenced them, or perhaps the Society went on to evolve into the early Vanguard society after the coming of the rifts.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Cybermancer
Hero

I figured even if they found old records or something, it could provide a link.

Maybe somewhere in the bowels of Chi-Town there are references to the various characters over at LS.org.

Kinda makes me wonder how early Vanguard archivists might have viewed some of the more prolific posters.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Coincidence. ;-)
Cybermancer
Hero

Natasha wrote:Coincidence. ;-)

You're probably right. Still, it's interesting to explore the possibilities.

WWVLD?
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

What is the symbol of the Vanguard?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Cybermancer
Hero

A Star of David made up of a black pyramid and a hollow, upside down triangle. The top, flat part of the triangle appears to 'disappear' behind the black pyramid. The ring of the Star overlaps the top of the star while tucking in behind the bottom point.

I'm not certain if the use of the Star of David is intentional or not. The similarities were the use of triangles, circles and the color black.

Then again, the Vanguard may have intentionally used a modified Holy Symbol.

WWVLD?
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I Could see the wisdom of useing a holy simbol as part of the symbol for a group that expects to fight super nateral mosters. Aspeasly as some of them have a weekness to the fath that man places on such symbols.... Espeacaly a sybol that is part of the seal of solomen.......

That is why a cross would work for a christion to hold a vampire at bay but would be useless for a druid wiccen or a jew.

hope I dont offend any one, with that.... but I think it is the power of faith in what the symbol repersents, reather than the symbol itself.
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Well, remember that in Palladium there are actual Mystic Symbols which are used in magic rituals and have predetermined meanings. I think they're detailed most thoroughly in the PFRPG main book. Both the cross and the six-pointed star are among the symbols: the cross is the symbol of protection (and if you look, is part of every protection circle), while the six-pointed star is the symbol of unbridled power. There's also a half-white, half-black circle that stands for duality (good/evil, light/dark, etc). Note that this means the symbols have meaning and power unrelated to faith, and these magical uses and meanings are logical for organizations who know about mystic symbols.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Cybermancer
Hero

Sgt Anjay wrote:Well, remember that in Palladium there are actual Mystic Symbols which are used in magic rituals and have predetermined meanings. I think they're detailed most thoroughly in the PFRPG main book. Both the cross and the six-pointed star are among the symbols: the cross is the symbol of protection (and if you look, is part of every protection circle), while the six-pointed star is the symbol of unbridled power. There's also a half-white, half-black circle that stands for duality (good/evil, light/dark, etc). Note that this means the symbols have meaning and power unrelated to faith, and these magical uses and meanings are logical for organizations who know about mystic symbols.

Some very good points that I hadn't considered. I'll have to take a moment to leaf through the Palladium Fantasy book again sometime.

WWVLD?
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I have a symbology question. Does anyone know what a hammer held upside-down represents? I was recently shown a painting which included -- among other things -- a crescent moon man in the sky holding a carpenter's hammer backwards. His thumb and the handle were pointed up. The the metal head of the hammer was pointed down.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Thor's hammer?
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Hmm, could be...

mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

sasha wrote:Thor's hammer?

Thats what I was coming up with as well... I wear one on a chain 'round my neck frequently... part of a tribute to my Scandinavian heritage and my love of all things Norse Mythology. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Thor's Hammer. I've seen it represented as such before.

Also, when it comes to those symbols there's some other underlying meanings to them too.

For the Cross it represents North, South, East, and West, and subsequently the elements. Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Water destroys them. Fire burns them (if staked), they are tied to the element of Earth, and the Sun is tied to both Air and Fire, which hurts them.

While not everyone knows this aspect of the cross, if you study the blending of Christianity and Celtic mysticism and mythology, it's actually part of what was taught by the Missionaries when they visited the Celts, and subsequently the two were blended in Celtic territories for a long time.

As for the Star of David and symbols that work off of it, their is a futher meaning to it two. It falls onto numerology and mysticism. The Star is made up of 2 triangles. 2 is the number and symbol of balance, as well as opposites. Love and hate, light and dark, hot and cold, good and evil, male and female. 3 or the triangle is the symbol of perfection, and of the trinity. God the Father, The Sun, and The Holy Spirit, The power of 3, etc. Triads have long been powerful representations in religions across the world. Taken together it's the meeting of opposites in perfect balance and power, which creates a synergistic effect, hence why the Star is a symbol of unbridled power. Perfectly matched to itself as it is, it's only logical.

The 5 pointed star is often used because of the 5 elements it represents. Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Soul/Spirit, and contained in the circle. Used point up, it's a positive representation of being and of power. Point down, its the undoing of things, the opposite of the light. Point up is the Pentacle, point down it's the Pentagram.

In magical theory, imagine what you could do if you incorporated the cross into Star of David mix, as well as the Circle, which itself has many significant meanings, besides being a wall, container, shield, unifier, and distributer of power/energy.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”