Any Ideas?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Any Ideas?

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

StateoftheUnion wrote:Hey. I recently got Dead Reign and I am planning to run a campaign with my regular gaming group. There's only a few of us, and only 3 are available most of the time (GM included). We've been playing the palladium system for awhile, so the rules/gameplay should be good, but from what I've read, Dead Reign would be overwhelming for two PCs. From what I've seen, it looks as though 5-6 players are needed to fully enjoy the Dead Reign experience. It seems as though if the players set foot inside the city, no sooner will they find anything, or even walk down the street, and they will be forced out by a zombie swarm,making it difficult for player interactions to really shine.

Perhaps i'm over thinking it. Has anyone played with such a small group in Dead Reign? Is there anything I need to avoid/emphasize? Tips/Tricks, hints, etc? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Take a look at my Dead Reign/Nightbane/Heroes Unlimited 2 thread. My standard group is usually only 3 including the GM. It might be useful for you.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

StateoftheUnion wrote:Hey. I recently got Dead Reign and I am planning to run a campaign with my regular gaming group. There's only a few of us, and only 3 are available most of the time (GM included). We've been playing the palladium system for awhile, so the rules/gameplay should be good, but from what I've read, Dead Reign would be overwhelming for two PCs. From what I've seen, it looks as though 5-6 players are needed to fully enjoy the Dead Reign experience. It seems as though if the players set foot inside the city, no sooner will they find anything, or even walk down the street, and they will be forced out by a zombie swarm,making it difficult for player interactions to really shine.

Perhaps i'm over thinking it. Has anyone played with such a small group in Dead Reign? Is there anything I need to avoid/emphasize? Tips/Tricks, hints, etc? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I haven't played DR and haven't read the book either, but I have a suggestion for you. Keep in mind that YOU are the GM and can tailor the game to suit your needs. Perhaps change the setting to a small town so there are less zombies. If you really want to be in a large city then give your group plenty of escape routes such as fire escape ladders(to head to the rooftops), tunnels/sewers, alley ways etc... Or give them some limited flight. Ultralight, gyro copter, jet packs or a full size helicopter. Keep in mind why these three characters would need to go to a large city. Anyone in their right mind would avoid large populated areas unless they had good reason to go there. Perhaps all the surrounding towns have been picked clean of useful supplies. Maybe they need a certain object/device, or medication to save their NPC buddies back at base camp.

Hope this helps you. :D
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

also bear in mind that your players arent the only survivors. perhaps the military or a larger group of survivors just came through and took out most of the zeds (and food/supplies, leaving just enough for a smaller group to live on until the next mission)? if you are in an area that should be full of zombies just start the narrative out with 'this area seems to be the site of a recent battle/skirmish/etc, smoldering zeds lay in the streets and blah blah blah'...

Return to “Dead Reign™”