Kid Gloves

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lord Death
Explorer

Re: Kid Gloves

Unread post by Lord Death »

So I find it all little hard to kill a 1st level PC. Not that I can't find a situation to do it, but it's like kicking a puppy. You need to give them some time to fall in love with the charecter first. I often hold off till 3rd or 4th level. However, with DR, I feel like 2nd level is open season on PCs. One mess up and they die bad! Scoreing a TPK is not hard, even if you adjust the rules on headshots or AR. With my group, we always start you off at 1st level, and I lay off the lower level guys till up get up a bit. I think I'll be going for blood much earlier with DR.

I did the same thing with my group in Chaos Earth. I think that once they start working real well as a group and not alot og mistakes then the gloves are off. :twisted: Just my 2 pennies
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I prefer to stay leveled and balanced from the get go, meaning I don't pull any punches from the get go, but then don't hammer on them unnecessarily.

I believe it breaks the believability of the world too much to coddle my players.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:Dead Reign, as originally written, is supposed to be difficult but not impossible. In every demo I have run at least one PC has been killed, I have had a 20% PC Death Rate in my games.

:)

i have 31 player in dead reign and 6 to 8 who com and due other factors , i didved them into four to five groups max 5 to 7 players , i would say 1 to 2 player die unless it will help the team in the long run , hey it not just for to win the war
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

silverlb wrote:So I find it all little hard to kill a 1st level PC. Not that I can't find a situation to do it, but it's like kicking a puppy. You need to give them some time to fall in love with the charecter first. I often hold off till 3rd or 4th level. However, with DR, I feel like 2nd level is open season on PCs. One mess up and they die bad! Scoreing a TPK is not hard, even if you adjust the rules on headshots or AR. With my group, we always start you off at 1st level, and I lay off the lower level guys till up get up a bit. I think I'll be going for blood much earlier with DR.

So, here is my question. What has been the mortality rate? So far, my players have died all together once, in the first game. They didn't know what was going to happen, so they tried to stand and fight. Since the new batch, one of the PCs broke his legs and another lost charecter before level 3!
If it is a new,inexperienced player, then it is not a bad idea to cut them some slack. But an experienced player should be able to make the most of his character, and should be given special treatment.
WHEN DOES YOUR GROUP CONSIDER THE KID GLOVES OFF!!!
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:Dead Reign, as originally written, is supposed to be difficult but not impossible. In every demo I have run at least one PC has been killed, I have had a 20% PC Death Rate in my games.

That sounds like the right kind of odds. The bad thing about kid gloves is that it's very illegal to use real kid skin. :-?
Aku-Arkaine
Wanderer

Unread post by Aku-Arkaine »

My party wanted to start off on "Z-day." I let them get to the country in an out of the way place fairly easily but that's it. They got maybe 100 exp so far but the kid gloves are off.

Personally, I think anything beyond the first session is fair game. :bandit:
Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

25% dead, 50% insane and 25% sooo happy to be alive - a nice ratio from the old Call of Cthulhu that works for every good horror game.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Return to “Dead Reign™”