give a review on Rifter 45?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Re: give a review on Rifter 45?

Unread post by Prysus »

kevarin wrote:ok got a question about the pis-archer if you cant use the bow
to parry or strike since things will pass right thru it will the
arrows go thru armor and hit the target or do they impact the
armor first

and would giving the arrows more damage every other level be
to over powering like level 1-1D4 , level 2-2D4 , level 4-3D4
ect thoughts on this would be great

Greetings and Salutations. No, that limitation is of the Psi-Bow. It would do no damage if used to strike, passing through armor and body. The Psi-Arrows, even though they are psychic energy, still hit armor then body, attacking the physical plane. Consider it akin to firing a laser, but psychic energy instead of light (just something to compare it to). Light is light, and you can pass through it, but if focused it can do damage (like a laser beam). No, I didn't think of it as light when I wrote it, but it's something I came up with now for imagery. I mostly did it so it won't become a substitute for a Psi-Sword (my truest motivations). The Psi-Bow works best when you don't have another bow to use, and for increased accuracy (provides a +1 bonus to Psi-Arrows).

As for overpowering, it really depends on the type of campaign someone runs. For most of mine, I could see it easily being overpowered (though I tend to run lower powered games ... unless I'm letting the players be dragons and godlings and the like in which case it gets powerful very fast). And would all three selections go up, or would it be reduced to just one type of arrow? Because if it goes up one die each per level, at level 15 the currently 2D6 Psi-Arrow would be doing 16D6 (between 16 and 96 points of damage from just one attack) ... or if you're adding the current number each level 3D6x10 (between 30 to 180 damage). That sounds rather high in my opinion, unless it's a very high powered campaign. Now, if only the 1D4 arrow it starts off a bit weaker overall, but at level 15 it would be 15D4 (between 15 and 60 points of damage), more reasonable in my opinion, but more powerful than most psionics (a couple magical spells can compete). Most adventurers can still take a hit or two (depending on character and the damage rolled). It'll hurt, but level 15 is fairly impressive itself.

If you feel it is too limiting as is and want more options, then I suggest as an alternate idea is at various levels it provides a new type of arrow to be unlocked. For example, at levels 4 an 3D6 arrow is available, level 8 can make a 4D6 arrow, and level 12 a 6D6 arrow. This is just a random idea that came to mind as I read your question, offering a potential possibility for what I believe you're seeking. I didn't figure out the specifics for I.S.P. because it was just a quick idea (and not sure how you feel about it). If you want, I can fine tune it more for you.

Random Thought: As I looked at my own article to ask I was thinking about something Ahulune commented on earlier about the I.S.P. cost. If I had thought about it before I wrote the article I may have made wrote it in, but I didn't think about it at the time and only thought of it like a minute before I started writing this message (I haven't looked how unbalancing it may be, but at an initial thought it doesn't seem bad). Any Psi-Arrows fired from a Psi-Bow cost half the I.S.P. cost. However, when used with a standard bow (non-psychic) they are at full cost. This gives a bit of added reason to use the Psi-Bow and can make it more affordable as well. Just a random thought.

All right, I think that should be all. Hope that helps. If there are any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to respond to it as soon as possible. Also, just because I wrote it doesn't mean others can't answer and give their opinions as well, and their views are equally as important. Please have a nice day, farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

thanks for the info on armor penetration

not quit what i was thinking on the damage tho what i was working on was
something like this might make what i was talking about a little clearer never
ment for the bow to be 1 dice per level

level 1 - 1D4 or 1D6 or 2D6
level 2 - 2D4 or 2D6 or 3D6
level 4 - 3D4 or 3D6 or 4D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 6 - 4D4 or 4D6 or 5D6
level 8 - 5D4 or 5D6 or 6D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 10 - 6D4 or 6D6 or 7D6
level 12 - 7D4 or 7D6 or 8D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 14 - 8D4 or 8D6 or 9D6

that put max damage for the 1D4 arrows at 32 with 4 isp to shoot it
and max damage for the 1D6 arrows at 48 with 5 isp to shoot
and max damage for the 2D6 arrows at 54 with 7 isp to shoot
and i like your idea of costing half isp to shoot with the psi-bow
but would set it at a min of 1 isp to shoot an arrow
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kevarin wrote:thanks for the info on armor penetration

not quit what i was thinking on the damage tho what i was working on was
something like this might make what i was talking about a little clearer never
ment for the bow to be 1 dice per level

level 1 - 1D4 or 1D6 or 2D6
level 2 - 2D4 or 2D6 or 3D6
level 4 - 3D4 or 3D6 or 4D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 6 - 4D4 or 4D6 or 5D6
level 8 - 5D4 or 5D6 or 6D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 10 - 6D4 or 6D6 or 7D6
level 12 - 7D4 or 7D6 or 8D6 +1 isp per arrow
level 14 - 8D4 or 8D6 or 9D6

that put max damage for the 1D4 arrows at 32 with 4 isp to shoot it
and max damage for the 1D6 arrows at 48 with 5 isp to shoot
and max damage for the 2D6 arrows at 54 with 7 isp to shoot
and i like your idea of costing half isp to shoot with the psi-bow
but would set it at a min of 1 isp to shoot an arrow

Greetings and Salutations. Agreed with the minimum of 1 I.S.P. I forgot to mention it (just a quick, random thought and I didn't factor all the other details). As for the damage, hmm ... well, I can't say it would be that overpowered. A Psi-Sword maxes out at 14D6, but is only melee (not very long range). A mage can have access to Fireball or Call Lightning. Their costs aren't too high, and max out at 15D6. Call Lightning has half the starting range of the Psi-Arrow. So it would have range, and accuracy, but not quite as much power. I personally wouldn't do it for my games (unless it was a higher powered game) because it's not the feel I wanted really. I wanted an archer who happens to use psionics, not a psychic who happens to use a bow. That's a personal preference though, not so much a game balance issue. Without factoring in every detail, I wouldn't say it's overpowering (your original question) for the reasons I stated earlier. Granted, I used the high end abilities as a comparison, but that's how I figure out if something is too strong. I will say it would be probably on the high end of power because while it does less damage, it is still powerful, has a better range than the others I've seen, better accuracy, and being able to be used with the Archery Proficiencies gives them a wide array of options as well. ((For the record: I'm typing as I think, sorry if I ramble a bit.))

If I were to do it (with the general pattern you're using) I would probably make a few minor changes. Again, this is my gut instinct, having thought about it as I typed (and not given it a few days or weeks to think over with like 4 or 5 different books in my lap comparing like I normally do when I make new stuff).

Level 1 (for standard I.S.P.): 1D4, 1D6, 2D6
Level 4 (for +1 I.S.P. each): 2D4, 2D6, 3D6
Level 7 (for +1 I.S.P. each): 3D4, 3D6, 4D6
Level 10 (for +1 I.S.P. each): 4D4, 4D6, 5D6
Level 13 (for +1 I.S.P. each): 5D4, 5D6, 6D6

Additionally, I'd make the lower options still available. This way if someone really only wants to fire a 1D4 arrow they can for only 1 I.S.P. This way the high level archer doesn't have to spend 5 I.S.P. for a 5D4 arrow if he is targetting something weak and vulnerable without much S.D.C. (like an eye). It would merely be unlocking new options. I know not quite as powerful, but keep in mind the range and accuracy. Just for using the Psi-Bow and Psi-Arrow together you start at a +4, spend some more I.S.P. and it's +7, and in the bonuses from W.P. Archery it's even higher, plus the Sniper skill, plus any Archery Proficiencies, bonuses from Hand to Hand (if one of the Archer styles are learned), the penalties to dodging arrows, and you have one very accurate attack, tie in an ability like Multiple Arrows (Archery Proficiency) and now you're firing more than one at a time (for added I.S.P. admittedly, but still a single action!). So, a level 14 character (with the right proficiencies and hand to hand, and a lot of I.S.P.) can fire off 4 arrows in one action (24D6 total, using the increases I listed above) with easily over a +20 to strike (and another -10 for the opponent to dodge)! If used with One Shot, One Kill they become automatic critical strikes! Granted, that is very precise selection, but just to show how dangerous it can be without increasing the damage, just a little combining of techniques.

Again, on a personal preference, I wouldn't do it because no archer could hope to keep up with that kind of damage (making the Psi-Archer superior to other archers in every regards except the range of a long bow, but only marginally shorter range). If there are no other types of archers in the game, maybe not as noticeable. And okay, I went on a bit longer than I thought. However, I tried to go through my thinking so others can see it and make up their own mind, not just get a "Yes" or "No" answer. Hopefully I didn't bore anyone with that, and even more hopeful it was of help. If not, my apologies for wasting your time. Please have a nice day and take care. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Pyrus, since you are answering questions anyway, the guys at the Tank Nine board are asking something concerning the Demon Archer. If demons vanish back to their home plane when they die, then where are the Demon Archers getting the demon bones they use to make their bows? The T-9 crew came up with their own answer that they like, but I thought I should pass the question along to you.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think of Archery in it?
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I liked it. It's a crunch-heavy approach with a couple of innovative rule mechanics. There are also some new classes built to exploit the new rules. I wrote a more detailed review at Tank Nine, but it seems that thread was lost in the last crash. Prysus is the author, the same guy who wrote the Rune Weapon article, in I think Rifter #52.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Rogue Shadow »

Lord Z wrote:I liked it. It's a crunch-heavy approach with a couple of innovative rule mechanics. There are also some new classes built to exploit the new rules. I wrote a more detailed review at Tank Nine, but it seems that thread was lost in the last crash. Prysus is the author, the same guy who wrote the Rune Weapon article, in I think Rifter #52.

Ouch Z, you're never going to let us live down the last board crash are you. :P

You do realize that the last crash we had where anything was lost was back in November 2006 right? Isn't 4 years of penance enough? LOL (I am now knocking on wood so as not to jinx us) We have had a few glitches lately where banning some spambots killed the board for a short period of time (usually a few hours), but nothing was lost.

By the by, the thread where you reviewed #45 is alive and well HERE.
Your review of the Archery article is Post 54.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I am not being sadistic. 11 - 4 is too high mathematics for me.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”