Mapping out the 3-Galaxies. YIKES!

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

this map equates to the Starfleet battles alpha octant strategic maps. where each hex is something like 1500 ly across (~300 parsecs). (making the galaxy only 1 hex thick in the shown area's)

you can fit quite a few star systems in such big hexes, but it makes mapping easier by turning the map into a 2D general representation of the galaxy. and since such maps are only to show relative nation sizes and placement, it's no big deal.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

It is an interesting map. I've used maps like that in various games in the past. I can't wait to see your last map DhAkael! Thank you for sharing that map GB!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

DhAkael wrote:
Just remeber..that is a gross overview of the main systems. Within each hex (especialy for the Corkscrew Galaxy) could be nearly a dozen inhabited solar systems ;)
BUT...that is for the individual GM's to take care of. My job is just to make sure that the primary locales are put in relation to each other. Detail work can be done by someone else :lol:

I've already begun doing expansions and mirco details on your maps as we speak.
Aramanthus
Monk

Are you actually doing it on the map? If so how?
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

Aramanthus wrote:Are you actually doing it on the map? If so how?

with photoshop.all i'm really doing is creating subsystems within the hexes and adding bit maps of planets.most of it is tailored for my future campaign.

if you give me your email i'll show you what i have so far.
Aramanthus
Monk

Email addy has been sent. Thank you for the fast response!!!

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

sent.I'm pretty much doing that for the rest of the afternoon.
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! Thank you for the update!

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

DONE!!!!!!!!!!
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Aramanthus
Monk

I can't wait to see it! I know it's worth the wait!

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

I knew the 3 galaxies were huge but I didn't know it was a VAST as it apparently is.could you imagine having to traverse from one side of the thundercloud galaxy to the otherside of the anvil galaxy with only lightspeed?!?!!? you couldn't make that trip with voyager that's for sure.
Aramanthus
Monk

It's definately a vast area of space, with a tremendous capability to hold years and years of gaming and still be a fresh source of gaming. There is A LOT of potential there in to contain as many worlds as any or every GM wants to place there.

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

dmart11 wrote:I knew the 3 galaxies were huge but I didn't know it was a VAST as it apparently is.could you imagine having to traverse from one side of the thundercloud galaxy to the otherside of the anvil galaxy with only lightspeed?!?!!? you couldn't make that trip with voyager that's for sure.

even at 10ly/h, most ships would take years to go from one side of a galaxy to the other, and even more to cross the gulf between galaxies.

to go from the far side of thundercloud to the far side of anvil at normal speed? you'd run out of AM fuel for the reactors (all 20-30 years of it) long before you finished.

huh, maybe there is a rifter article in this. FTL 'pathways' of space that allow ships to move at much higher FTL rates. (the converse of repression fields?) a network of these would make travel much quicker.

or a gateway network connecting the three different galxies together.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Not neccessarily.

I mean most 3G civilisation are located in the Halo - which is
only like 10 lys thick. So, if you have to go to the other side
of the Anvil, for example, move out to the intergalactic space,
where FTL drives operate at 500% top speed - so a fast ship
can cover about 30 lys per hour. Which is still months from
one side of a galaxy to the other... But that is comparable to
the days of sail, IRL.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

I thought that between in intergalactic space the FTL drive pushed the ships to hundreds of light years per hour.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
dmart11 wrote:I knew the 3 galaxies were huge but I didn't know it was a VAST as it apparently is.could you imagine having to traverse from one side of the thundercloud galaxy to the otherside of the anvil galaxy with only lightspeed?!?!!? you couldn't make that trip with voyager that's for sure.

even at 10ly/h, most ships would take years to go from one side of a galaxy to the other, and even more to cross the gulf between galaxies.

to go from the far side of thundercloud to the far side of anvil at normal speed? you'd run out of AM fuel for the reactors (all 20-30 years of it) long before you finished.

huh, maybe there is a rifter article in this. FTL 'pathways' of space that allow ships to move at much higher FTL rates. (the converse of repression fields?) a network of these would make travel much quicker.

or a gateway network connecting the three different galxies together.

I just fudge the math :D
Annnnddddd...borrow heavily from Wayne Breaux's Aliens Unlimmited: Galaxy Guide on the concept of 'Hypergravitics'. I.E.: Free-floating gravitywells (Jump points in the Batteltech and Wing Commander universes) that require specialized FTL engine add-ons to do point-to-point instant travel. Those who have a copy of my Anvil & Corkscrew galaxy maps may have noticed near the TGE Capital systems something called the "Imperial Road"; the "Road" is two mapped gravity wells linking the Anvil and Corkscrew (and also heavily patrolled and mined).

Please note that in Coffin's Anvil Galaxy book, travel through black-holes (Skipping the event-horizons) is supposedly commonplace using just standard FTL drives. He never gives hard fast rules for it though :(

Any enterprising (heh) GM can make intergalactic travel work. As can be seen on the maps I've done, the systems for any one power-block are scattered farther than would normaly be practical. Reason being, as GB said "FTL speedways", singularity travel and hypergravitics. Sometimes travelling farther actualy may be faster in some instances :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

KLM wrote:Not neccessarily.

I mean most 3G civilisation are located in the Halo - which is
only like 10 lys thick. So, if you have to go to the other side
of the Anvil, for example, move out to the intergalactic space,
where FTL drives operate at 500% top speed - so a fast ship
can cover about 30 lys per hour. Which is still months from
one side of a galaxy to the other... But that is comparable to
the days of sail, IRL.

Adios
KLM

Or what he said ;) (Please see prior post for today 8-) )

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

I'm looking forward to seeing the third map! And thank you for pointing those little things on your first couple of maps.

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

Aramanthus wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the third map! And thank you for pointing those little things on your first couple of maps.

i like the third map,it looks like a hurricane,which is a creative look for a galaxy.
Aramanthus
Monk

I guess I should have mine when I get home tonight! I'm looking forward to seeing it! I wish I would have gotten it earlier, that way I could have forwarded it to me here at work and printed it up on the really nice color printer we have here. I did that with the other ones. They look really awesome printed out in that format! :)

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

Aramanthus wrote:I guess I should have mine when I get home tonight! I'm looking forward to seeing it! I wish I would have gotten it earlier, that way I could have forwarded it to me here at work and printed it up on the really nice color printer we have here. I did that with the other ones. They look really awesome printed out in that format! :)

I emailed him directly last night,that's probably why.
Aramanthus
Monk

I did PM him in the past and he sent the other two. I pmed him and asked for the 3rd one. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

HH....FIE
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

you see why i have HIM for an awesome GM?

he gets down to the nitty gritty stuff and makes use of tons of stuff.

makes the player stretch to fit the game. some rise to the occasion and others just sorta float along and expect to continue to float when the water gets really choppy.

we lost several players due to the fact of inability to change one's thinking. one quit under poor circumstances and blamed me for ruining the game for others and actually wants me OUT of the game now so he can re-join.

i'm not planing on going anywhere actually.

i now have 2 chars in the game. two opposites. both sorta loners, but only one is really nasty to your face if you have the misfortune of being either Elf or Human ... all in the background.
the other is a loner cause we're a Wolven TW and got called monster and a few other comments. but its all good, she called them 'hairless apes' ... which really didn't sit well with the Humans in the group.

now? .. the others in the game have left the wolven in charge of the 'smart ship' .. and she's young still, growing out of the 'puppy' fur ... so .. *shrugs* .. all sorts of fun and exciting things to get involved in. when she isn't making her 'toys'.

i wonder. should she become a 'bad girl' and steal the ship? ..... *takes the time to ponder such things .. * :eek:

hi boss ... :D ... i really DIDN"T say that .... :lol: :-P
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Aramanthus
Monk

He does wonderful work on maps. I bet he'd be a scream to have as a GM. I try to be as prepared as it sounds like yours is. Although I have to admit I'm really going to enjoy using his maps. I know they'll enhance my game. And don't worry about like those peole who quit like those ones did, you just stay right there and have fun Shiiv-a! You deserve it!

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

I'm still creating individual star systems for those maps.It'll be an ongoing process so I'm looking at months of work perhaps.
Aramanthus
Monk

I believe it'll take months of mapping, there is so much space to map out.

Hmmmm........ Duckfoot, that is an interesting idea. How would you do it? I think I might have certain anchors to identify various universes. Say you use Splugorths for the anchor. This universe contains Splynncryth and this one contains such and such, and so on. What do you think of that idea?

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

duck-foot wrote:why not map the Megaverse?

then you get into quantum and temporal mechanics and thinking in 4D terms.
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, but you could shorten the problem by isolating key points in each universe which makes that one unique. As I said use the Splugorth to keep track of each various universe.

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

Aramanthus wrote:Yeah, but you could shorten the problem by isolating key points in each universe which makes that one unique. As I said use the Splugorth to keep track of each various universe.

and I'm sure they'll be forthcoming with that information too. :lol:
Aramanthus
Monk

But for GMs we have some already in said locations. we know where these plces are and we can interlink those places together.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Okay.. "mapping the megaverse"

No.
Ile.
Nyet.
Not gonna do it.

You guys want to, knock yer-selves out! :D

Me...I'm done my little contribution to the cause. 8-)

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

wouldn't expect it to happen that way .. will need to see these maps as well. maybe when my comp improves past the 'only one window useage' happens. until then? .. i gotta plink away with a highly Psionic char NOT using the powers .. cause i can't discuss or question or act behind the scenes like i usually do

so .. the patchy ones .. the furry ones .. and now the feathery ones ... man .. just a head full of ideas and nothing written down. will have to rethink everything about 14 tiems after writing it down once .. otherwise it will be full of holes cause one person don't understand how this part works or how that other section relates to the 4th .. *hates hole makers .. they can all .... *

:oops: better stop while i haven't stepped on toes with implied comments not aimed at them, but they take offense too ..
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Aramanthus
Monk

We can set up some principles to be able for each GM to be able to map out their own universe. :D

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

So far, about 7 people have requested the maps.
Not bad for a fan-boy project. :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Very nice! Thanks!
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

I've already mapped out 10 star systems and placed fleet positions and tactical points across the galaxies.that's how projects are born,with the help of others.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

DhAkael,

Thanks for the speedy response! The maps look great! A little bit different than what i expected. I always that the CCW worlds, the TGE worlds, and the UWW worlds were all clustered in their own areas of the maps. I hadn't considered spreading them out like that. Very nice.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Kelorin wrote:DhAkael,

Thanks for the speedy response! The maps look great! A little bit different than what i expected. I always that the CCW worlds, the TGE worlds, and the UWW worlds were all clustered in their own areas of the maps. I hadn't considered spreading them out like that. Very nice.

Read one of the earlier posts; one reason for the spreading is the odd way FTL mechanics operates. One flight path will take maximum time, another, maybe only 10% standard travel time. Factor in wormholes, singularity travel & hyper-gravitics, along with the DELAYS nebula and expanses can inflict...sometimes it pays to travel far. ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some nice maps DhAkael produced. And you DMart have already produced 11 systems? Pretty nice.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Lynx8882 wrote:DhAkael so when are you just gonna submit a manuscript already?

Lynx

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I can put something together that won't get me sued up the yin-yang :oops: :ugh: :thwak: :|

About half my stuff is, if not out & out "transferred" (won't use the "C" word in this forum, as the gestapo will squeal like offended Victorain spinsters), from another inferior source -coughcoughalternitycough- it borrows heavily.
My most original concept is the Cora-Eldren. Due to the fact I want LOTS of people to have free access to that one, I'll refrain from sigining off my everliving soul and submitting it.
Have you read the contract?! I refuse to sell off a decent ORIGINAL concept, only to have the possibility of it being used again in future without prior notification, and more importantly, NO FURTHER CREDIT GIVEN .
I don't care if I only get paid ONCE. What I do care about is that my name be attached at ALL TIMES and full credit given, to anything I create.

One of these days I'll give in, swallow my disgust at the contract and just submit a manuscript. However it will not be one of my "babies". :x

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Lynx8882 wrote:
:shock: Wow..... I seemed to have opened up someones can-o-worms

Lynx

Yeah...you could say that. I ended up having something almost close to a "holy-war" with Maryann Siembiada over it. :D

Kevin has yet to re-work the contract wording / context.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

His maps are worth it! Just PM him with your email addy and he'll send it! They are AWESOME!!!!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention DhAkael I'm using your map to locate my RCC I'm working on for the fan races thread! Just thought you might want to know.

HH....FIE
dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dmart11 »

Aramanthus wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention DhAkael I'm using your map to locate my RCC I'm working on for the fan races thread! Just thought you might want to know.

well let me get a look at that too when you're done.
Aramanthus
Monk

I've got to figure out how to place mty little mark on it. I wrote into a text that I have yet to place. I'll figure it out soon enough.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Aramanthus wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention DhAkael I'm using your map to locate my RCC I'm working on for the fan races thread! Just thought you might want to know.

Cool.. lemme know when you've roughed it out enough to post.
Curious to see ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Erios wrote:I absolutely adore the 3G setting, so I would love to have a map to better visualize (and halp others visualize) the setting of the game!

Can I get some PM lovin DhAkael? :D

Just do that PM thing to me, I'll e-mail direct from the link.
All maps are .PDF format in landscape orientation (for those who wish to print them out). One other note... a trifle really; the background is black :-?
soooooo..you may wanna take it to a Kinko's and have THEM foot the print-toner bill :P

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

hmmm ... i wonder if i might borrow your ear there for a bit sometime Dhak .. need a home world or three for the ... well you should know the issues i had with them before.

then i need to figure out where to get the feathered ones in .. and i really should chat about the patchy ones as well.

oh .. hehe .. just figured something out. this is mostly 'book legal' stuff on the maps ... so my stuff would be .. not worth mentioning after all.

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:
oh .. hehe .. just figured something out. this is mostly 'book legal' stuff on the maps ... so my stuff would be .. not worth mentioning after all.

Sad but true. :nh:
For this project I had to keep it 'canon'..or as close as I'll ever get to it ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Hmmm! Sounds interesting! :::Stands on tip toes and sneaks really close to listen in!:::

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”