What sort of starship flaws can you think of?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some cool ideas KLM! Thanks for sharing them. Please keep them coming!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are great! I especially like the disintegration chamber!! :lol:
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

*The circuit breaker/grounding system connects to (random) seats throughout the ship...meaning that any energu weapons hit on the hull, or any other power surge, will be directed into one(or several) of the seats...resulting in severe electrical shocks, possible vaporization, and 'Star Trek' style pyrotechnics...You might wanna re-upholster in electrical insulation....

*The ship's ID transponder randomly changes itself to match ID sigs lifted from local 'Most Wanted' info-transmissions...One week and one system you're ID'ing as a notorious smuggler, the next month as a wanted child molestor...

*The ship's cloaking field is easily deactivated by a common, commercially available cell phone or TV/Holovision remote control...

*Your variable forcefield control software rotates the OPPOSITE shield configuration of what you tell it to...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Those are good comedic ones Taalismn! :lol: :lol:

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Toilet Troubles: There is a bose chance of 5% every time somebody flushes the toilet, that the material doesn't go down properly/backs up. If it backs up, it doesn't go over the rim, but will take 1d4 hours to slowly drain back down to 'normal' water levels. The entire water and septic system will have to be removed and re-installed in order to fix this, 2-3 weeks and 4-5,000 credits.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

*Mildew Farm----The materials used in constructing the life support sections tend to 'green' with mold and mildew that's nearly impossible to eliminate....PCs and species with respiratory concerns will be miserable, if not outright dangerously ill, from allergies...

*Atmospheric Maladjustment----The ship's life support system tweaks the gas balance inadvertantly, not that it's unbreathable, but that it proves to have extreme side-effects...a higher content of oxygen results in unexpectedly BIG flames from lighting candles, flicking lighters, and may promote circuitry fires...Too much addition of helium results in 'Donald Duck' voices from frozen vocal cords.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Ugglie Bait

The ship's construction makes extensive use of cheap composites and plastics that attract large quantities of space ugglies.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
taalismn
Priest

*Permanent Resident---The ship comes, as part of the contract/stipulations of sale/conditions of ownership, with a permanent resident---a cantankerous old geezer(old former crewman/relative of the previous owner/previous owner/etc.) who has made the ship his home and refuses to leave, and who cannot be (legally) removed....he smells bad, goes where he pleases, does what he wants, criticizes the current crew, make passes at the women, and pretty much negatively endears himself to the current crew...
Alternately, the permanent resident can be a young, bratty, know-it-all twerp(bastard offspring of a previous crewmember/nephew of owner/transferred space cadet/juvie delinquent on a work program/etc...) who either thinks everything has to be by the book or thinks he WROTE the book...Will criticize the current crew, make passes at the women, and pretty much negatively endears himself to the current crew...
Larger ships(bulk freighters, cruisers, starliners...) may have a resident population of 3 or more of these 'fixtures'...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

good ones!

What about large funguses growing in the ventilation system. So some ships can farm various types of mushroom and some might have toadstools.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Partially Organic Electrical Wiring....part of the ship's internal electrical system has been replaced, either deliberately, or accidentally, by a plant root system or fungus rhizome network...Unless the ship is regularly watered and nourished with plant food, performance will suffer.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is another good one. Sorry I'll have to think to come up with something latr, after I cool off, since I'm still at work and sweating up a storm.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Extreme Climate Control--_It's either a blistering hot breath of hell coming out of the air vents, or don't touch bare flesh to exposed metal cold---there is no inbetween....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

An officer giving a ships tour to the midshipsmens class. ::::"Don't lick the bulkheads or the walls in this area gentle people! The last time that happened we had to use a butcher knife to free the person's tongue! Oh yes, make sure to use the toilet seat covers in the any heads on this ship people, since they are made of metal. And don't forget your insultaed under garments!"

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Denuder---The ship's head disinfectant system releases chemical fumes that eat the fibers and materials most commonly used in clothing....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That reminds me of the "Nude Bomb" with Maxwell Smart!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Kobuyashi Maru Syndrome---The ship's sensors and warning systems go off at the slightest sensor infringement, and the ID system jumps to immediate and erroneous conclusions....identifying asteroids and spacejunk as incoming fighters, and freighters as battleships...Turning the system off risks 'Boy Who Called Wolf', since that will be when the bad guys REALLY show up...

*Missile Magnet----Some undisclosed or previously unknown dsign flaw makes the ship particularly attractive to the homing sensors of most smart missile systems....In addition to their normal bonuses, the missiles get a +1d4 to Strike the ship...Even if the cause of this unwelcome attractiveness is discovered, remedying it may involve drastic measures...like shutting down the main sensors, ejecting the engine core, or completely powering down life support....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That is great!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Zero Firewalls---The ship's computers have security that offer as much protection as wet paper towel ballistic armor....Any secure information stored in the ship's mainframe will likely pop up on a random screen whenever somebody tries to access a system, or, worse yet, will be attached as file to any outgoing data transmissions....
Hackers attempting to 'jack system data will find themselves at a +10% to their skill rolls, as the system almost HELPS them...Attempts to install program protection and rewrite the software are at -15%.
Note that this problem only applies to memory files...ship's systems and navigational data are secure or are adequately backed up, so a hacker can't lower forcefields with a communications tap....on the other hand, they will be able to copy off stored technical manuals and the captain's illicit photos of his junior officers in the shower....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That is really a great one! Please keep them coming!!!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:*Zero Firewalls---The ship's computers have security that offer as much protection as wet paper towel ballistic armor....Any secure information stored in the ship's mainframe will likely pop up on a random screen whenever somebody tries to access a system, or, worse yet, will be attached as file to any outgoing data transmissions....
Hackers attempting to 'jack system data will find themselves at a +10% to their skill rolls, as the system almost HELPS them...Attempts to install program protection and rewrite the software are at -15%.
Note that this problem only applies to memory files...ship's systems and navigational data are secure or are adequately backed up, so a hacker can't lower forcefields with a communications tap....on the other hand, they will be able to copy off stored technical manuals and the captain's illicit photos of his junior officers in the shower....

Hmmm.... Sounds like a bit of Neuromancer.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

Could be KLM. But its an appropriate flaw for a ship manufactured in the Golgan Republik.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Premature LIfepod Ejection---THe emergency hardware on the ship is constantly going off at the damnest times....airtight doors slam shut, fire control sprinklers flood compartments, crash foam keeps getting pumped into compartments without warning, and the crew is always having to replace/recover the lifepods since they keep firing off....

*Titanic: Worst Case Scenario Syndrome---The lifepods leak, and in worst cases, could be considered more of a deathtrap than the ship they're being ejected from...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

About the premature lifepod ejection! I think the ship's AI has to have some problems. I think it needs to see Dr Ruth!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:About the premature lifepod ejection! I think the ship's AI has to have some problems. I think it needs to see Dr Ruth!

That would be an entirely different design flaw...
"LOvestruck Artificial INtelligence"---The ship's border-line sentient AI develops a misunderstood and cliched crush on a crew member, and will subtly work in their favor, or ONLY in the presence of that crewmember. All others will be snubbed or treated either cattily or in neutral, minimal effort, fashion.
In true 'Hal' style, the computer may escalate its 'courtship' to inconvenience(and of course maim or kill) any perceived rivals for its affections...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That thought crossed my brain, but I let it go.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Funhouse INterior---The race that designed this ship LOVED forced perspective illusions and other sight-gags....Beings who draw most of their sensory input via optical senses are constantly trying to run down short corridors that look longer, banging their heads on sloped ceilings, falling over because they try to orient themselves from subtly slanted verticals, and injuring themselves through interaction with other tricks of perspective....The ship designers are either all in hiding as a consequence, or have been killed off by irate crews....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a great one Taalismn!!! :lol: :lol:

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Enemy AI: The contractors are really into recycling, even using parts from salvaged enemy ships. The ship the players are on uses computer parts from their racial enemies, resulting in the computer sometimes targeting their own kind. Computer has a 1% chance of manifesting this glitch each time it encounters its origonal manufaturors in combat; alignment reversal only lasts one minute per encounter (encounter is defined as each new target, so a full scal battle could mean several chances of reversal).
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Aramanthus
Monk

That is one nasty flaw Roscoe! Thanks for sharing it!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

(Applicable to carrier craft)
*Flawed ID Flight Control---The ship's sensors and computers have a difficult time identifying friendly small craft in the thick of battle, leading to dropped ID transponder locks, mis-identifications, and poor synchronization and coordination between a ship's flight commander and ship's point defense battery control. In any battle involving more than 30 active participants, there's a 20% chance the system will break down, resulting in gaps in fighter coverage, breakdown of CAG chain of command, and the very real possibility of 'friendly fire' incidents...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a good one Taalismn! It is a potential one which could cause PCs their lives!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Ineffective Heat Management--_the ship's radiators/heatsinks/heatdumps are inefficient and tend to rapidly degrade in performance under high energy situations...that means that in a pitched battle or under high drive situations, even if everything else is operating effectively and the shields are still holding, the ship's environmental temperature rises to uncomfortable levels from heat leakage into the environmental system...Beings and items particularly sensitive to heat(such as certain medicines and the captain's chocolate supply) will be adversely affected...It hasn't been substantiated yet, but rumors persist of a ship surviving a pitched battle, its shields intact, the hull hardly marked...but the crew dead, roasted alive when their AC backfired on them...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:(Applicable to carrier craft)
*Flawed ID Flight Control---(..)

This gave me an idea:
*Flawed IFF: the ship - sometimes - registers as something else,
or as starfighters are hiding in its shadow. Kinda annoying with
trigger happy authorities. (See USS Vincennes) Also remember
that:
Friendly fire: ain't!

Finally, launching S&D missile swarms is not such a good idea...

Probably those scavenged turrets/sensors or just a misaligned
thruster is the source of the problem.

For Central Alliance:
*Brain owen: Sometimes hits overload the system, killing or at
least severely injuring crew cyberlinked to the controls. Those who
are lucky, are just disconnected from the system.
Manual control operators might experience a slight jolt, kinda the
one you get from your car, if wearing a synthetic pullover.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are all cool! Thanks guys. Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

(for CCW)
*Computer Independence---The shipboard AIs feel they're taken for granted and demand equal compensation for equal work...they'll go on strike overwise..>They'll cite the example of the MachinePeople as precedent for AI rights...IF directed to go into combat (or into a dangerous situation, such as a probe shot down a black hole)with unresolved issues of pay and say in shipboard operations, the ship's intercom system and readouts will start breaking out in repeated 'Hell no! We won't go!" Hope your computer programmer techie also knows cyberpsychology and business negotiation skills....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

(For Altess)

*Opulence(?!)---The Altess vessel's design has expensive fittings integral to the design(such as a decorative crystal fountain in the middle of the bridge to help the Captain meditate on command decisions, and carved cherubim flanking every door), that add nearly 50% more weight to an equivalent spaceframe, and 500% greater cost....STripping them out of the ship(to sell them off, lighten the ship, or disguise it) is nearly impossible, without severely compromising the structural integrity of the ship.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some cool new flaws!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:(For Altess)

*Opulence(?!)---The Altess vessel's design has expensive fittings integral to the design(such as a decorative crystal fountain in the middle of the bridge to help the Captain meditate on command decisions, and carved cherubim flanking every door), that add nearly 50% more weight to an equivalent spaceframe, and 500% greater cost....STripping them out of the ship(to sell them off, lighten the ship, or disguise it) is nearly impossible, without severely compromising the structural integrity of the ship.

Altess AND (foremost) Sploog/Kitanni.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

highpriestrsw2
Explorer

flaws

Unread post by highpriestrsw2 »

Drive requires rare fuel
not jump equipped-needs jump gate to get FTL.
no weapons hardpoints
uses outdated or archaic technology
easily identifiable
STOLEN!

That's all I can think of.
" Forward Clucky! To battle!"
-MrGiggles
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That's a good one Highpriestrsw2

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Starship Keys Locked Inside---Ship's hatches auto-lock without informing you the entry code pad's still inside....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!!! That was a great one Taalismn! I always carry two sets of keys to prevent such a thing.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Wet Ship---The ship was designed for aquatic aliens who didn't want to spend all their time in dampsuits...Therefore the ship partially floods with water during normal operations...

Worse yet, the last crew's pet needle-shrimp laid eggs before they abandoned the vessel...and with the return of warm water, those eggs are hatching...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That would be comical to see that happen to some poor starship. :-D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Auto-Labyrinth---The ship was designed around a multi-configuration, multi-purpose internal design that allows the internal layout to be robotically changed around for the most economic use of space for various purposes...quarters and storage, as well as other systems, ares esentially housed in separate pods moved about inside a structural framework...Very advanced...
Problem is, due to a programming glitch, the computer randomly reshuffles the interior arrangement(maybe every 2-4 days), leading to all manner of headaches for the crew when trying to find their way around...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That's a great one. Especially if the head is seperated from the crews quarters! :D :eek: :shock: :? :lol:

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Wrong Software---The software loaded into the ship's computers was crudely adapted by the manufacturer(under deadline and far behind on the vessel-specific computerware) from similar, but different, existing software...the ship now thinks it's a submarine, heavy urbo-hoverbus, or similar non-spacefaring device. Sensor feeds will be formated in the appropriate terms ("THree maklack chickens approaching from directly ahead...collision course at Mach 17...recommend turning on windshield wipers")..and must be instructed in appropriate terms("Proceed straight on hyperhighway 84 for 180 light years, then make a sharp right onto Globular Cluster Exit 24E; turn on headlights to avoid running into Kreeghor crossing traffic...")
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!!!! That was a great one. That would be so funny for a warship to have that flaw! Although I wouldn't want to be on that one! :D

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Aggressive Cleaning Program: The ship has a prototype robotic/AI janitor who is efficient,methodical, andhelpful. The problem is, he ususally sees the crew and passangers as "filth", and will do whatever is in his power to remove them. Also has the annoying habit of disposing of minor things like reactor coolant "it makes such horrible stains on the decking!', food "that stuff attracts flies and pests!", and personal items "useless clutter taking up important room!".

Even more unfortunalty, the janitor is part of the ships AI program, and so cannot be destroyed, removed, or shut down without crippling your ship. He can be restrained though (better use strong chains without locks), good luck in tying him down.

taalismn
Priest

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Aggressive Cleaning Program: The ship has a prototype robotic/AI janitor who is efficient,methodical, andhelpful. The problem is, he ususally sees the crew and passangers as "filth", and will do whatever is in his power to remove them. Also has the annoying habit of disposing of minor things like reactor coolant "it makes such horrible stains on the decking!', food "that stuff attracts flies and pests!", and personal items "useless clutter taking up important room!".

Even more unfortunalty, the janitor is part of the ships AI program, and so cannot be destroyed, removed, or shut down without crippling your ship. He can be restrained though (better use strong chains without locks), good luck in tying him down.

Agh! You beat me to it! :D

Oh well...

*Inefficient Engine Design---The ship's powerplant is RATED for an estimated lifespan of x-number of years, but in reality poor design has led to pathetic efficiency; the engines will require full core replacement in 1/3 to 1/2 the time.
Alternately, the powerplant fails to deliver power under conditions of extreme demand..such as overthrust, FTL, or combat conditions...the system requiring the most power will have it, but some other system will experience a power 'brown out' during the same time(sensors go down while while shields are being maintained, life support fades while in FTL mode, main gun fires and all secondary weapons and point defense systems fo offline...).

*Delayed Revenge---The ship's main architect/designer(or a previous crewmember) had a secret grudge against somebody(the service he designed the ship for, or a specific individual aboard) and has designed a plan for an appropriately painful/terrifying/gruesome revenge involving the ship....so promises a message that flashes across the screens once the ship is sufficiently far from any safe haven/help....
Problem is, the ship is no longer in the service of the government, or had aboard, the party cited for revenge...the message has been delayed by a glitch...
Now, is it a hoax, a toothless threat, or is there REALLY a scheme of vengeance about to unfold? Try not to panic....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”