Annoying GM?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

So, which is it?

The Railroader (wants you to be like characters in a story which he runs, with little say of your own).
34%
The Weirdo (your character gets raped, humiliated, murdered, and so do their families).
17%
The God (it works this way because I say it does, THIS time... consistency, what's that?).
19%
The GMPC (I'm king of the world!! You all get to deal with my narcisistic masturbation.).
15%
The Cryptic (you don't know what's going on from what he says until it springs at you; he may be a short fat bald guy with long hair and funny clothes).
5%
The Bastard (never lets your characters start out with decent things, if you acquire decent things later he takes them away).
9%

Total votes: 222

Cybermancer
Hero

Re: Annoying GM?

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Vrykolas2k wrote:I think the very worst GM I ever had was a combination of all, with a heavy sprinkling of The Bastard.
For instance...
In 2nd ed. AD&D, I made a half-elven Swashbuckler Fighter.
The party found a hot spring, and my character stood watch while the others took a bath.
Then my character took a bath when the others got out, and everything he owned was stolen (by faeries maybe? I never knew).
Eventually we found some chain-mail and a two-handed sword. The armour miraculously fit...
huh????
I was playing a Swashbuckler, not a typical tank warrior. He decided after play began that he didn't want any characters who didn't fit the stereotypes...

In another campaign, we were playing WoD. Most played vampires, and one guy played a mage, and I made a were-wolf ronin, so I wouldn't have to be a stereotypical were-wolf and yet could still join the group.
I sat there for 5 hours waiting to do something.
When I finally did get to do something, my character was killed in 10 minutes. How? Because he had a character who could use Celerity to boost Movement of the Mind... which is completely and totally against the rules of the game. At most, the character could have affected 1 of the bullets he shot at her, not all of them.

Then there was the old d6 Star Wars.
I made a Young Jedi, while another member of the group ran it. The previously mentioned GM, now a player, made a pirate. His character shot my astromech droid into oblivion.
Why?
Because, in his view, they were too expensive for a beginning character to start with.
In revenge, I trashed his cybernetic arm and blaster.
Of course, his actions caused us to have a hard time with the ship, since you know, astromech droids are good for astrogation and repairs...
He took over though the next session, and totally ignored some good role-play and dice-rolls I'd made to get us out of trouble with the Empire, so we could be captured and have everything taken away... (and no, I never did figure out why the first guy let the a-hole take over, he was running because the group was tired of that kind of crap).
That's ok though, I'd acquired a lightsabre by then; I used all 4 of my force-points (more good dice rolls) to crack the planet we were on in half, killing everyone, including the dark jedi and storm-troopers he was trying to capture us with.

There were quite a few things of that nature.
Due to that fellow, I gave up role-playing entirely for about 3 years. I was soured on it.

I'm surprised that you kept going back as many times as you did. I'm not surprised you left the hobby for awhile. People such as this suck the fun out of the game and out of life. Glad to see you came back to the hobby however.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Cybermancer wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:I think the very worst GM I ever had was a combination of all, with a heavy sprinkling of The Bastard.
For instance...
In 2nd ed. AD&D, I made a half-elven Swashbuckler Fighter.
The party found a hot spring, and my character stood watch while the others took a bath.
Then my character took a bath when the others got out, and everything he owned was stolen (by faeries maybe? I never knew).
Eventually we found some chain-mail and a two-handed sword. The armour miraculously fit...
huh????
I was playing a Swashbuckler, not a typical tank warrior. He decided after play began that he didn't want any characters who didn't fit the stereotypes...

In another campaign, we were playing WoD. Most played vampires, and one guy played a mage, and I made a were-wolf ronin, so I wouldn't have to be a stereotypical were-wolf and yet could still join the group.
I sat there for 5 hours waiting to do something.
When I finally did get to do something, my character was killed in 10 minutes. How? Because he had a character who could use Celerity to boost Movement of the Mind... which is completely and totally against the rules of the game. At most, the character could have affected 1 of the bullets he shot at her, not all of them.

Then there was the old d6 Star Wars.
I made a Young Jedi, while another member of the group ran it. The previously mentioned GM, now a player, made a pirate. His character shot my astromech droid into oblivion.
Why?
Because, in his view, they were too expensive for a beginning character to start with.
In revenge, I trashed his cybernetic arm and blaster.
Of course, his actions caused us to have a hard time with the ship, since you know, astromech droids are good for astrogation and repairs...
He took over though the next session, and totally ignored some good role-play and dice-rolls I'd made to get us out of trouble with the Empire, so we could be captured and have everything taken away... (and no, I never did figure out why the first guy let the a-hole take over, he was running because the group was tired of that kind of crap).
That's ok though, I'd acquired a lightsabre by then; I used all 4 of my force-points (more good dice rolls) to crack the planet we were on in half, killing everyone, including the dark jedi and storm-troopers he was trying to capture us with.

There were quite a few things of that nature.
Due to that fellow, I gave up role-playing entirely for about 3 years. I was soured on it.

I'm surprised that you kept going back as many times as you did. I'm not surprised you left the hobby for awhile. People such as this suck the fun out of the game and out of life. Glad to see you came back to the hobby however.

We were in the army, and at the time had little choice in gms.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Understood.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Vrykolas2k
Champion

D-Rock wrote:I've dealt with a few.

My roommate is a Cryptic GM. His intricate plots get a little too intricate, to the point where they are seriously convoluted. Then he complains when the other players don't 'get it' and wonders why they won't feel it when he gets out the 'clue bat' (that's about the point when the players just get fed up with yet another dead end). I tried telling him, but he won't take my input seriously (IE he doesn't listen to anybody).

I've also had to deal with a GMPC. I sometimes think it would be cool to have my own NPC join the party, but then I say "NO D-ROCK! NO! BAD GM! BAD!" and slap myself on the wrist. Why? Because it's not about the GM. It's about the party and them having a good time. I feel that a GM has to tailor his campaign to what's all around enjoyable for the group, even at the sacrifice of his own whims. The NPC hanger on in the party is just an excuse to have it both ways, to be player and GM, but all it does is conflict, being helpful in some incidents but stonewalling you the next (IE when it pertains to plot spoiling incidents, but when that's subjective to the GM's interpretation it gets very frustrating to find out what's really going on).
With that being said, our GMPC does try to keep it to a minimum and generally makes his NPC helpful without being all powerful or annoyingly cool. Also with that being said, even if you're the most fair GM in the world DON'T DO IT!!! *LOL*

I also had to deal with a perv GM. Our entire party was looking for a bar, when an NPC suggested a place called 'The Silver Harpoon'. He said we should come in for the drink specials. Well... the whole party got offered drink specials... from half the city's sailor community. :-(

Gag.
Although you should have known something was up just by the name of the bar...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I'm sure that several of you have read my thread on the absentee GM and here's an update. He's back posting as a GM but he's being a Criptic Railroader. Frankly we players want to be done with the skulking around grungy bars and places of ill repute and just get to stealing a magical(?) artifact for our employer( who while capable of teleporting people for vast distances cannot seem to be able to have spies find one artifact in one regional city). We have warned him about railroading and being criptic with information and are about fed up with the way he is treating his players. We are currently discussing arbitrarily killing off his major NPCs. You know not even rolling dice but declaring said NPCs dead by PC hands.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

old testament is mega rail roader

but the other side of the paying consequences is knowing who else knows what?
If the PCs simply don't intervene in occurrance X and noboby really knows they kow or expects them to act on it, it is simply their conscience that will bother them

Also if the sneak into a place and steal a bunch of stuff and nobody sees them then they are likely scott free.

The point is just because they do something bad doesn't mean the wrong/right people will know about it.

The same goes for my villains. Just because they are NPCs or highly skilled doesn't mean stupid crap doesn't happen, that they are infallable and that everything they try automatically works
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

My choice, if it had been provided, is the Dumbass. The guy who doesn't describe the settings or the opponents correctly, runs npcs like cardboard cutouts and then gets mad that we aren't getting into character enough.

It's kind of hard to stay in character when the "red snake" from 30 minutes ago is holding a spear... You forgot to say it's got a humanoid upper half? We didn't look to see if it did?!? That's something you flipping notice at first glace!

So, I chose the creepy one. It's always werid when the gm decides not to do a "fade to black" as the sex scene between an npc prostitute and a teifling begins... and he uses his "demonic stamina" to tire her out and take her money.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
KillWatch
Champion

yay rape!

Assuming that the "lady of pleasure" is paid by the hour, and assuming that she can last more than an hour, he rapes and robs her.
Good guy

but you can't place the whole blame on him, what about the PC who did it
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Specter wrote:My choice, if it had been provided, is the Dumbass. The guy who doesn't describe the settings or the opponents correctly, runs npcs like cardboard cutouts and then gets mad that we aren't getting into character enough.

It's kind of hard to stay in character when the "red snake" from 30 minutes ago is holding a spear... You forgot to say it's got a humanoid upper half? We didn't look to see if it did?!? That's something you flipping notice at first glace!

So, I chose the creepy one. It's always werid when the gm decides not to do a "fade to black" as the sex scene between an npc prostitute and a teifling begins... and he uses his "demonic stamina" to tire her out and take her money.

:puke:

BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Specter wrote:My choice, if it had been provided, is the Dumbass. The guy who doesn't describe the settings or the opponents correctly, runs npcs like cardboard cutouts and then gets mad that we aren't getting into character enough.

Kind of like this guy?: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1213

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

The railroader for sure. I don't play often, so when I do I wanna be able to flesh out a character and not get cornered into making a choice, I'll just walk away or make him let me GM (or rather, stop saying no to GMing, since that's what I'm always asked to do :P).

If anything, I'm the bastard, but I let people keep the good things they get (including a Ring of Elder once!), but they earn that good stuff.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

I picked the railroader...though all of them are pretty bad. But the railroader gets to me the most because if I wanted to read a novel I would be reading a book...
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Most of these types wouldn't be a problem when paired with the right game and the right players. For example, the Bastard would be a good match for a gritty survival-oriented RPG with players who enjoy a challenge.

I voted for the Weirdo because this type of gamer is actively trying to ruin your gaming experience. That is the entire point for the Weirdo. Therefore, there are no players who would have fun with the Weirdo.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

kermitburger wrote:LOL!!! first off do dragons even have peckers? I mean I'm no doctor but I've never seen anything but scales between the legs of a dragon. Unless it was a dragon-borg then I guess he could get wee wee attachment put on for when he in the mood or.. uhhh... if they even have those types of moods.. is RAPE a mood..? but seriously though how the f*** could a dragon rape someone? you are a pervert!! hahaha jk :)

Wow...forgot about this argument.

As for your question. It was a dragon in human form.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
KillWatch
Champion

do dragons have peni? well I guess the answer lies in do other reptiles have peni and in that case sexes
Vrykolas2k
Champion

KillWatch wrote:do dragons have peni? well I guess the answer lies in do other reptiles have peni and in that case sexes

One could make an educated guess that, since individual dragons are noted as being either male or female in the books, that the appropriate plumbing exists on each gender of dragon.

Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

I fail into the Bastard! I don't let my players start with (Weapon of choice) F that because they will always goto Rifter 12 and get the 4d6x10 MD Sniper Rifle.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:I fail into the Bastard! I don't let my players start with (Weapon of choice) F that because they will always goto Rifter 12 and get the 4d6x10 MD Sniper Rifle.

Well, it could be argued that starting them out with decent equipment (like I do) doesn't mean letting them have something illogical.

Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

decent equipment...

Define Decent?
KillWatch
Champion

you go to rifter 12?
what about 9.5 GDC BABY
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

KillWatch wrote:you go to rifter 12?
what about 9.5 GDC BABY

I don't, but players do.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:decent equipment...

Define Decent?

Most of the stuff in the RMB and the non-Naruni stuff from Rifts Mercenaries is a good start. As a for-instance.
I even occasionally allow some of the Naruni stuff from Rifts Mercenaries (mostly just the pistol or a rifle), if the player has a good back-story as to why they have it and understand that ammo and replacements will be very hard to come by, and don't gripe too much because of it.

Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Vrykolas2k wrote:

Define Decent?

Most of the stuff in the RMB and the non-Naruni stuff from Rifts Mercenaries is a good start. As a for-instance.
I even occasionally allow some of the Naruni stuff from Rifts Mercenaries (mostly just the pistol or a rifle), if the player has a good back-story as to why they have it and understand that ammo and replacements will be very hard to come by, and don't gripe too much because of it.

I would agree. I even allow alot of the Naruni stuff if they are working for AWM. As Trader Joe works for them. What I don't allow is PICKING a weapon from any book at any time. And most people put me in the Bastard cat because I don't allow them to pick weapon of choice. That being said I'm fair about it, it's not like they are 2d6 ion pistols vs the QA40 Auto Cannon
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Define Decent?

I would agree. I even allow alot of the Naruni stuff if they are working for AWM. As Trader Joe works for them. What I don't allow is PICKING a weapon from any book at any time. And most people put me in the Bastard cat because I don't allow them to pick weapon of choice. That being said I'm fair about it, it's not like they are 2d6 ion pistols vs the QA40 Auto Cannon

It just depends on the character; characters from Japan wouldn't have access to Naruni stuff, just like pretty much only Japanese characters have access to H-Brand or Ichto stuff.
Basically, I allow weapon of choice... so long as said weapon comes from the part of the world/ dimension/ whatever the character originates from.

Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nomadic wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Define Decent?

It just depends on the character; characters from Japan wouldn't have access to Naruni stuff, just like pretty much only Japanese characters have access to H-Brand or Ichto stuff.
Basically, I allow weapon of choice... so long as said weapon comes from the part of the world/ dimension/ whatever the character originates from.

Well what if 3 of your characters are "FROM" rifts earth and another is from Phaseworld. PW has a 4d6x10 Sniper Cannon. And Rifts earth best they can do is 2d4x10 from South America, now you have a Cosmo Knight among mere mortals. But typical is 4d6-6d6 or 1d4x10.

Characters from Japan working for AWM in Northamerica sure as hell would have access to all of the above, but then I would ask why a Dragon Borg is working as a low level merc.
-_-

Basicly, I don't allow players to start off epic as they have something to grow into because honestly they don't get much out of leveling up. Unlike a d20 system.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Nomadic wrote:Well what if 3 of your characters are "FROM" rifts earth and another is from Phaseworld. PW has a 4d6x10 Sniper Cannon. And Rifts earth best they can do is 2d4x10 from South America, now you have a Cosmo Knight among mere mortals. But typical is 4d6-6d6 or 1d4x10.

Characters from Japan working for AWM in Northamerica sure as hell would have access to all of the above, but then I would ask why a Dragon Borg is working as a low level merc.
-_-

Basicly, I don't allow players to start off epic as they have something to grow into because honestly they don't get much out of leveling up. Unlike a d20 system.
"So, just what is your character doing in North America? No, 'Random Rift' does not cut it."
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

No period. Japan is a closed nation.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Nomadic wrote:No period. Japan is a closed nation.
And your Cosmo-Knight example?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

The CosmoKnight Example was saying that if I allowed any weapon then players that knew about it would be running around with a 4d6x10 weapon were your normal character has 4d6,6d6 or 1d4x10. Creating a power imbalance.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:No period. Japan is a closed nation.

So... in your version of Rifts, there are no rifts?
And independant adventurers don't go out into the world and adventure?
Hmmm...

As for the weapon thing, as I stated above, I allow weapon of choice within reason, allowing for back-story and origin.

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Nomadic wrote:The CosmoKnight Example was saying that if I allowed any weapon then players that knew about it would be running around with a 4d6x10 weapon were your normal character has 4d6,6d6 or 1d4x10. Creating a power imbalance.
So power balance means everybody gets low grade equipment?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
KillWatch
Champion

YOu do know that you don't have to be female to be a victim of a "weirdo" and any of those happenings
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Retired Juicer wrote:The only weirdos I played under targeted females, not saying there aren't unisex weirdos I just managed to avoid them.

You wanna talk weird, I was working at this store one time and ended up chatting up this guy about RIFTS.
I learned that this guy had no one to play/run with and so ran...for himself...with him as the only player. In this game he played a mutant bear from lone star with a rocket rifle. Who emigrated to Japan, and lived in the woods protecting the village folk from Oni. He was also careful to point out that his character, the bear, was universally well liked by the towns people. They in fact LOVED him.

That was a weird conversation.

At that point shouldn't you just be writting a story? I don't know how to classfied that guy...
KillWatch
Champion

lonely
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nomadic wrote:The CosmoKnight Example was saying that if I allowed any weapon then players that knew about it would be running around with a 4d6x10 weapon were your normal character has 4d6,6d6 or 1d4x10. Creating a power imbalance.
So power balance means everybody gets low grade equipment?

I hardly see 1d4x10 as low grade. But to each thier own. If you see it as lowgrade then yes. Level 1 nubs with little to no experince start off with low grade equipment.

This is an issue? Your level 1 for crying out loud, what makes people think they can get a uber-rare zOMG axe of pwnage!
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

What makes you think they can't? I just find "No, never!" to be a less than productive answer. I'd rather ask why and see if it's at least good story or if it's a case of no story, just lotsa dakka. Story is good, no story is not.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Misfit KotLD wrote:What makes you think they can't? I just find "No, never!" to be a less than productive answer. I'd rather ask why and see if it's at least good story or if it's a case of no story, just lotsa dakka. Story is good, no story is not.

Because they just got to level 1! This is their first adventure! I could write a whole nice BS back story about a Dragon who was trying to save his little piece of the world when an evil shifter attacked Rifted him to the DarkAges, thus Making him an Adult Dragon who Picked up RPA:GB and teleported one from FreeQubec during the CS,FQ war! And while looking for this Shifter he travled all the lands searching for his vengence! but how in the hell did I do all that and I'm just now level 1!
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:What makes you think they can't? I just find "No, never!" to be a less than productive answer. I'd rather ask why and see if it's at least good story or if it's a case of no story, just lotsa dakka. Story is good, no story is not.

Because they just got to level 1! This is their first adventure! I could write a whole nice BS back story about a Dragon who was trying to save his little piece of the world when an evil shifter attacked Rifted him to the DarkAges, thus Making him an Adult Dragon who Picked up RPA:GB and teleported one from FreeQubec during the CS,FQ war! And while looking for this Shifter he travled all the lands searching for his vengence! but how in the hell did I do all that and I'm just now level 1!

Maybe their parents were adventurers and some equipment is hand me down stuff (that's the way it is with Gltter Boy armour, as I recall).
There are lots of logical reasons for a level 1 character to have something which will help him/her survive to level 2.
And beyond.

KillWatch
Champion

that's why I like my random history tables ala CP2020. I put it in the table I can't argue against it. But you are just as likely to have served as a slave boy at some time. If the parents were adventurers with some really neat stuff then they would be targets for all kinds of revenge, thefts, vandalism etc. You don't get stuff, kill people, rescue people, foil evil plots without making enemies. Even bad guys have families; Ah the son of my old nemesis has found his way into the world. I, the 15th level summoner, will make his parents pay dearly by feeding their only son to one of my beloved worms
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nomadic wrote:
Maybe their parents were adventurers and some equipment is hand me down stuff (that's the way it is with Gltter Boy armour, as I recall).
There are lots of logical reasons for a level 1 character to have something which will help him/her survive to level 2.
And beyond.
Indeed. Perseus got a magical sword, shield and helm because of who his daddy was. His fellow Greeks did not.

This equipment equality thinking flies in the face of a system with Cosmo-Knights and Vagabonds allowed in the same party. Should I then penalize the CK's armor and sword to make him comparable to the Vagabond?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

KillWatch wrote:that's why I like my random history tables ala CP2020. I put it in the table I can't argue against it. But you are just as likely to have served as a slave boy at some time. If the parents were adventurers with some really neat stuff then they would be targets for all kinds of revenge, thefts, vandalism etc. You don't get stuff, kill people, rescue people, foil evil plots without making enemies. Even bad guys have families; Ah the son of my old nemesis has found his way into the world. I, the 15th level summoner, will make his parents pay dearly by feeding their only son to one of my beloved worms
I like random tables when the player has trouble deciding anything. "I don't know what my character's background should be." "Here, roll it or see if something strikes you." But if the player has put something cool together that doesn't fit the table, I ignore the table.

I will note, I want cool and good story. If it's obviously munchkin without actual thought beyond getting the most power, I will deny it.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

none of these "archetypes" is a problem in its self for me.
Its the combos that are the problem.
And even then the only one i dislike is the weirdo.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nomadic wrote:

That one OCC yes. your are correct. when was the last time your characters settled down and had kids? Altho.. that does sound like a great idea.

I've run games were they were the children of adventures before, but that was a themed game.
And beyond.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nomadic wrote:
And beyond.
Indeed. Perseus got a magical sword, shield and helm because of who his daddy was. His fellow Greeks did not.

This equipment equality thinking flies in the face of a system with Cosmo-Knights and Vagabonds allowed in the same party. Should I then penalize the CK's armor and sword to make him comparable to the Vagabond?

yes, and do you remeber any of the other heroes in that story? were their any others? Or was that a story about Persues alone.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nomadic wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nomadic wrote:

That one OCC yes. your are correct. when was the last time your characters settled down and had kids? Altho.. that does sound like a great idea.

I've run games were they were the children of adventures before, but that was a themed game.
And beyond.

Actually, most of my characters who survive past level 8 (or the equivilent, in non-level based games) end up with a family.
Then again, according to my logic, people don't exist in a vacuum 'ere they start out at "level 1" either.
In fact, according to how I see things, most people who become adventurers have at least one parent who was some sort of adventurer as well. It explains the drive, training, and equipment that adventurers generally start out with. Not all characters are that way, of course, but a sizable majority would be.

KillWatch
Champion

I doubt a majority, just like a majority of people aren't 2nd or more generations soldiers
and Perseus, in Palladium would be an Immortal
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

There is another type of annoying GM. They concentrate on one of the players, gender doesn't matter, and make the gaming session a huge ego stroking session. So bad as they might as well be stroking somthing else. :puke:
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
johnkretzer
Adventurer

Anthar wrote:There is another type of annoying GM. They concentrate on one of the players, gender doesn't matter, and make the gaming session a huge ego stroking session. So bad as they might as well be stroking somthing else. :puke:

Yeah I have seen that too...though it does happen just because people with in gaming groups are older friends. It happens.

But when this gets real bad....it is one of the worst situration ever....though I haven't come up for name for it like the Railroader, etc.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Nomadic wrote:yes, and do you remeber any of the other heroes in that story? were their any others? Or was that a story about Persues alone.
Very well, did Achilles, Patroclus, or Hector have the same gear?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

The Me vs the party guy. This is the GM who has decided that the game has to be about crushing the pcs. I used to play under this guy and it was this experience that helped make a better GM than I might have been.

However, I typically play under the bastard. This guy runs the cheapest frggin' games you've ever seen. D&D we defeat 6 15th-17th level enemies, and none of them have ANY treasure. Typically we wind up with gear designed for characters of half our level. It still works out however, as we tend to shred his most powerful challenges.

As far as starting gear in Rifts goes. Who cares? By the time you hit 3rd level you should have looted enough decent gear to outfit yourself with enough left over to sell for a couple of really nice items. On the other hand, if you notice, as a GM, that your beginning characters die a lot, you're too much of a bastard and you might want to lighten up and let them have 35+ MDC armor et c., while you still have players.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”