Building a City

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Building a City

Unread post by dark brandon »

rat_bastard wrote:The problem with that is you don't have the same advantages magical cities get, this works for us because we are casting it on a nexus during a eclipse, which lets us cover a large city. If a vanguard caster cast Metropolis at the center of Chi-Town he'd only get a 200 feet/level radius and he'd have to get the massive amount of PPE needed to cast the spell without the benefit of ley lines.

That reminds me, how is the mage casting at such high range? As the new rue says, magic is only increased 50% when near a ley line or nexus point, or are you using the old magic rules?
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

dark brandon wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:The problem with that is you don't have the same advantages magical cities get, this works for us because we are casting it on a nexus during a eclipse, which lets us cover a large city. If a vanguard caster cast Metropolis at the center of Chi-Town he'd only get a 200 feet/level radius and he'd have to get the massive amount of PPE needed to cast the spell without the benefit of ley lines.

That reminds me, how is the mage casting at such high range? As the new rue says, magic is only increased 50% when near a ley line or nexus point, or are you using the old magic rules?

Old rules.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

rat_bastard wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Old rules.

The Old Magic Rules are better.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Greyaxe wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Old rules.

True. I like the new casting rules, but the old proximity to ley lines and syphoning of PPE rules.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Its just the new rules don't include interesting things like Lunar eclipses etc.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

rat_bastard wrote:Its just the new rules don't include interesting things like Lunar eclipses etc.

Just left out for convenience. Continue to use the old rules. There’s nothing that says the old rules that don’t get a new mention are moot to my knowledge.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Its just the new rules don't include interesting things like Lunar eclipses etc.

Just left out for convenience. Continue to use the old rules. There’s nothing that says the old rules that don’t get a new mention are moot to my knowledge.

Yea we do too. Old Rules Good
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Nice set up! So I take it the group hasn't suggested a name for their new homebase?
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Old rules.

True. I like the new casting rules, but the old proximity to ley lines and syphoning of PPE rules.

::Opens mouth...but nothing comes out. Instinctivly you know...that the words he's spoken cannot be heard by human ears...::
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Aramanthus wrote:Nice set up! So I take it the group hasn't suggested a name for their new homebase?

New Alexandria
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

rat_bastard wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:Nice set up! So I take it the group hasn't suggested a name for their new homebase?

New Alexandria

Better have a kick ass Library. And no Romans as neibours.
Aramanthus
Monk

Pretty awesome name! And I agree about the library. I'm surprised Greyaxe beat Taalismn to that one. Please keep us informed of how the city evolves! I've very interested in how it grows!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The real Library of New Alexandria will be the Digital library available to anyone with a publicnet access (the Spinne sell access for 10 credits a month), Any public domain work (including all pre rifts knowledge not deemed to be military in nature) is available for public access on the nets and at public terminals. Licensed works are available for a small fee.
Aramanthus
Monk

Pretty reasonable. Did they ever find any sort of library out there in the west that might have survived? Or maybe on of those information repositories buried in various secure locations.

HH....FIE
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I read that the city is veiled by an illusion spell ? Now I've never read that spell so I don't know the exact specifics of it and this may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyways. If the city is hidden how do outsiders find it, or for the people who live there if they leave how do they get back ? :?
Last edited by Razzinold on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Razzinold wrote:I read that the city is veiled by an illusion spell ?
The Spell in Question is Illusory terrain(BoM page 141), it is being cast several times a day at a nexus point by a Lord Magus and covers the entire city with an illusion of a grassy plain matching the terrain around it, anyone who walks inside the illusion can see the construction site normally. Sanctum Spells are also used in a lot of locations to obscure key places of the city from magical scrying.
Now I've never read that spell so I don't know the exact specifics of it and this may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyways. If the city is hidden how do outsiders find it
as a rule they arrive by Pyramid or circle of travel or windowless hovercraft
, or the people who live there is they leave how do they get back ? :?

People Live in the city as they build it, at first they lived in a tent city but habitation was among the first things constructed along with the geo-thermal plant and the first outer wall.

Alejandro wrote:This idea, while admirable, quickly sounds that in Rifts it would be raided constantly. I'm interested in hearing how this group of mercs is going to make the transition to police force AND defensive force in a city as large as this one is supposed to be, especially with regenerating everything and no walls being planned from the sound of it all.

First off, its guarded and patrolled by a powerful merc company, who tend to view high tech bandits as a money making opportunity. Bandits tend to give the Platinum Shield a wide berth as there few if any bandit crews that could pose a legitimate threat to them. As for raiding the City, its veiled by illusions, so finding it is difficult, but then even if you do find it, what then? There are literally hundreds of soldiers, earth warlocks and powerful beings working on its construction, so raiding is not going to be very helpful unless you brought a division, and even then what are you going to steal? Concrete? Rebar? Copper Wiring? People have cash and valuable clothing but little else.

As for the Police question, that is a good question... As of yet the military is the police, but there is little crime of note at this point. Literally every adult living in the city have 9-5 jobs that pay decently and give them a future, the Spinne ruthlessly strike down theives in their own culture, the humans are almost all subject to military justice and the Slurmphs don't commit worse crimes than littering. A few people get into fist fights once in a while but as a rule people are too fat and busy to commit real crimes, Besides the only things worth stealing are in the bank (Which is guarded by 1-2 dragons), weapons lockers (which is guarded by soldiers and repo-bots) and food supplies (Which is free).

If I was to guess I would assume that they would use their contacts with the imperial government (Japan) or Lazlo, Tolkeen and Dweomer to hire professionals to train a police force.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Aramanthus wrote:Pretty reasonable. Did they ever find any sort of library out there in the west that might have survived? Or maybe on of those information repositories buried in various secure locations.

They made contact with the Japanese Empire, a pre-rifts Civilization who gave them digital copies of their library (which basically contained all collected human knowledge up until the time of rifts) as a gesture of friendship and in exchange for information on rifts earth.

Japan, being a civilized nation had no idea how valuable every single public domain book they had on digital was worth...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Oh and as to the question of walls, there are two city walls: the Inner city wall and the outer city wall

the Inner City wall is 50 stories (1000 feet) tall, 100 feet wide and extends down to the lowest underlevel of the city. The Inner wall is a perfect circle with a 3 mile radius and Diabalist runes inscribed in the top by Leizak D'zir himself, it is capped by a Magical forcefield and runes of protection against evil and has allready been enchanted by a version of the metropolis spell

the Outer wall is merely 50 feet wide and 20 stories tall and has only begun to be constructed, it will have no magic other than the metropolis spell.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

rearnakedchoke wrote:Damn, your serious about protection arn't ya.

Northern California is home to the largest concrete mines in the US, we have at any given time 10 earth warlocks casting create steel at a ley line, 10 more conjuring appropriate stone and 10 more wrangling earth warlocks while hundreds of workers and labor bots mine, dig and build the city.

Damn near free Materials+lots of labor = building big.
Aramanthus
Monk

Your city does sound pretty cool. I agree on how important those public books would be to a post rifts civilazation. Keep on working on it. We'll be here to read on how it continues to grow and change.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

We just have to wait until R_B responds to that one. They are fighting those pesky vampires in Mexico!

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

A couple of people have brought up a few interesting points so I thought I'd try to address their questions.

A couple of people have asked about a fire department, my answer would be that we would not have a fire department so much as we would have a fire code. As the entire city would be either made of MDC regenerating materials and built with Sprinklers as a standard requirement (kills vamps quick). The Army will have a supply of fire retardant missiles and the ministry of magic will distribute the extinguish flame spell to any who want to learn it but fire is not a seriously credible threat. Simply put the materials the city is made of do not burn easily and require artificial situations for any real fire, so we are better and cheaply served by supplying anti fire equipment. If a Burster or a Fire Warlock starts burning buildings he'll find that instead of firemen ending his fun it would be soldiers looking to kill him and extinguish their fires.

As for Police, its less than ideal... The Military has its own method of serving criminal justice that is effective for policing itself, so that aspect of society is policed and has its own justice system.

The Spinne also have their own Police and in the absence of any other justice have been policing themselves strictly.

The Naruni are Absolutely scrupolous about following civil laws in places they plan on staying (they do not poop where they eat) and have caused no problems.

The Cactus People have no real concept of crime as they are all telepaths who live in communal farms, they are more often victims of crimes. The Platinum Shield has ruled that killing a cactus person or harming them for the purpose of drinking their blood is punishable by death, though Psi-stalkers have been known to pay or trade services to feed off of Cactus person PPE.

The Slurmphs steal organic garbage after they learned that if you get food in front of a resturant it costs money but if you get it out of the bin in the back of a restaurant its free... they also have neglected to inform the City of their true population numbers which is also a crime but for the most part they avoid commiting much in the way of crime because they have pretty much what they want: Free Homes (awesome steam tunnels), Free food (in the food bins behind the restaurants and grocers), Free Money (they get paid to read auras, something that requires no effort on their parts) and recently they won the right to open the Slurmph Bar, which is exempt from all sanitation rules normally applied to restaurants.

The Fennodi As a rule are not Criminals, and do not have anything really in a true criminal mindset.

The Humans are divided into two sets, the People from Dweomer who are professionals with a job to do, but beyond having little motive to commit crimes and being vetted by the City of Dweomer are not any more or less likely to commit crime.

The Other Human group is the rapidly expanding Mexicans, and they are a special Case. The Vampire Kingdom Of Ixtoz had magical trees that where native to the Intelligence's home dimension called "Bitter Trees". Basically a Bitter tree had two effects, one it completely cancels out all rain and rain magic in a 2-50 mile radius around it and causes wood to rot and water to evaporate much faster in that same radius (thus preventing enterprising mages from casting summon and control rain over a vamp city and calling it a day...). Second they fed off of the negative emotions of the people in its radius, while blunting any positive emotions or ability to resist mind control. So basically the Liberated Mexicans have gone their entire lives without really being able to feel any sort of joy, as had their fathers before them and their fathers before them etc etc and so on and so on. The Adults of this group have almost no personal initiative, they do as they are told because that is what they do, that is what they have always done and they have never had any reason to do otherwise. Bottom line, these people don't commit crimes outside of committing suicide (1 in 10 within the first week of liberation, we've taken to prescribing anti-depressants). Their Children however have proven much more resilient.

The Final Group is the Vintex, who are genetically engineered to be Soldiers of a generally good alignment. They lead lives of constant discipline and crime is for the most part unthinkable among their ranks, and they are handled by a simple and harsh code of military justice.

So, Crime is limited to fights breaking out and drunkenness, as there is not much to steal and not much motive to steal, but people do get mad, fights do happen and the method of dealing with what little crime there is can be best described as Feudal, so I do have a interesting angle I can screw with my players with... But as a Rule people who work 5-7 8-12 hour days so their families can have a better life are not as likely to be genuine criminals, and that describes most of the people in the city currently.

As for the problem of Raiders, so far I'm at a loss as to how they would even know where to raid. The Pyramid master prevents hostiles from coming through the pyramid, the City looks like a plains from the outside and its a fairly well guarded secret. People Know where Jackson is, but Jackson is a Fortified Armed Camp more than a City and its location is not well known, this tends to dissuade bandits.
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

rat_bastard wrote:City Stats:
Orientation & Disposition: Open but cautious, Coalition citizens and demons are not allowed in to city but nearly any other race is permitted in the city.
Type & Size of Community: Currently a Militaristic Encampment with a population of over 3,500 but the City will be able to house a population of a million ogre sized humanoids.
Weapons and Armor: The City fathers are arms manufacturers, all construction workers wear Construction grade MDC environmental armor or employ force fields, nearly everyone has a MDC weapon and training with said weapons and every adult has access to weapons.
Medicine: Superior, in addition to an unusual density of psi-healers and a large amount of spell casters with healing magic there is a hospital and plans to build more, however there is a shortage of legitimate MDs for long term care. The government is building a university and hopes to upgrade its medical capacity to unheard of levels within a generation.
Agriculture & Natural Resources: Fair, the land around the city is good farmland, but there is a shortage of farmers. As the Platinum Shield abducts more Mexicans and attracts more cactus people it should fly up the scale to enviable.
Real Estate/Land: Prime Location, Under a stable nexus on land with few indigenous threats with good farmland and massive deposits of minerals ideal for making concrete. The land is also Ideal for Geo-thermal power and has a nearby river that provides freshwater.
Vehicles & Fuel: Excellent, The Platinum Shield has manufactured many vehicles and construction vehicles, however the community has almost no access to materials necessary to manufacture fusion plants, so nearly every vehicle is electric.
Administration & Social Structure: The city is developing a Roman style senate as neighborhoods are formed, several races have negotiated permanent seats in the Senate (the Spinne have two, the True Atlantians have one). The government is as incestuous, corrupt and efficient as the words "Roman Style Senate" would suggest, however it is functioning.
Alignment: Only supernatural evil is banned, but unprincipled is most common.
Magic: High Magic, because of the merc group's association with Dweomer and mystic neighbors magic is extremely common. In addition to the stone master and his two apprentices there is a clan tattoo artist, a hundred earth warlocks and a decent quantity of other types of casters. The government has a vast library of spells that they trade to mages in return for service and techno wizards are part of the city's construction crew.
Racial Tolerance: Extremely High Tolerance, place is like Lazlo with guns.
Trade: Limited, while one of the goals is to make the city a Trade Center it currently has very little trade except the merc companies business, still the city once populated will be a megaversal market place where creatures of all races can conduct commerce.
Threats: Constant, lets see, the platinum Shield has pissed off the CS, 70% of all arms manufacturers in North America, the Kingdom of Bavaria, the vampire kingdoms, the mystic knights and amused Atlantis. The only thing that has prevented the city from being destroyed is the protection of the Platinum Shield and the illusion magics veiling the city.
Skill Levels & Professionalism: hundreds of engineers, soldiers, laborers, scientists, techno wizards, wizards and a stone master. Extremely skilled.
The Community Overall: Skilled, there are creche style schools all around the city that are free for all, so this level will rise within a generation.
Shelter: Currently 99% of all buildings are made of High Tech SDC materials but once the Metropolis Spell is cast the entire city will be regenerating MDC.
Security & Fighting Force: the Platinum Shield + a large Militia, equivalent to a Mechanized army.
Power Energy: Excellent, Mixed. The City has a Geothermal plant built into it, all buildings incorporate Solar panels into their construction and the Pyramid's ability to manipulate local weather has made Wind power a extremely potent energy source in addition the Sewage lines are developed so that the sewage can be processed into bio gas and other byproducts.
Special Features: A Pyramid, regenerating buildings, massive amounts of high tech manufacturing and Circles of protection around the entire city and at key locations. The place is a gold mine to anyone who can hold it.

If you have an entire force of military to enforce the law, then perhaps you should consider lifting the ban on the supernaturally evil. Creatures like Demons and Deevils and others may not have an evil alignment, but will still radiate supernatural evil regardless.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Starmage21 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:City Stats:
Orientation & Disposition: Open but cautious, Coalition citizens and demons are not allowed in to city but nearly any other race is permitted in the city.
Type & Size of Community: Currently a Militaristic Encampment with a population of over 3,500 but the City will be able to house a population of a million ogre sized humanoids.
Weapons and Armor: The City fathers are arms manufacturers, all construction workers wear Construction grade MDC environmental armor or employ force fields, nearly everyone has a MDC weapon and training with said weapons and every adult has access to weapons.
Medicine: Superior, in addition to an unusual density of psi-healers and a large amount of spell casters with healing magic there is a hospital and plans to build more, however there is a shortage of legitimate MDs for long term care. The government is building a university and hopes to upgrade its medical capacity to unheard of levels within a generation.
Agriculture & Natural Resources: Fair, the land around the city is good farmland, but there is a shortage of farmers. As the Platinum Shield abducts more Mexicans and attracts more cactus people it should fly up the scale to enviable.
Real Estate/Land: Prime Location, Under a stable nexus on land with few indigenous threats with good farmland and massive deposits of minerals ideal for making concrete. The land is also Ideal for Geo-thermal power and has a nearby river that provides freshwater.
Vehicles & Fuel: Excellent, The Platinum Shield has manufactured many vehicles and construction vehicles, however the community has almost no access to materials necessary to manufacture fusion plants, so nearly every vehicle is electric.
Administration & Social Structure: The city is developing a Roman style senate as neighborhoods are formed, several races have negotiated permanent seats in the Senate (the Spinne have two, the True Atlantians have one). The government is as incestuous, corrupt and efficient as the words "Roman Style Senate" would suggest, however it is functioning.
Alignment: Only supernatural evil is banned, but unprincipled is most common.
Magic: High Magic, because of the merc group's association with Dweomer and mystic neighbors magic is extremely common. In addition to the stone master and his two apprentices there is a clan tattoo artist, a hundred earth warlocks and a decent quantity of other types of casters. The government has a vast library of spells that they trade to mages in return for service and techno wizards are part of the city's construction crew.
Racial Tolerance: Extremely High Tolerance, place is like Lazlo with guns.
Trade: Limited, while one of the goals is to make the city a Trade Center it currently has very little trade except the merc companies business, still the city once populated will be a megaversal market place where creatures of all races can conduct commerce.
Threats: Constant, lets see, the platinum Shield has pissed off the CS, 70% of all arms manufacturers in North America, the Kingdom of Bavaria, the vampire kingdoms, the mystic knights and amused Atlantis. The only thing that has prevented the city from being destroyed is the protection of the Platinum Shield and the illusion magics veiling the city.
Skill Levels & Professionalism: hundreds of engineers, soldiers, laborers, scientists, techno wizards, wizards and a stone master. Extremely skilled.
The Community Overall: Skilled, there are creche style schools all around the city that are free for all, so this level will rise within a generation.
Shelter: Currently 99% of all buildings are made of High Tech SDC materials but once the Metropolis Spell is cast the entire city will be regenerating MDC.
Security & Fighting Force: the Platinum Shield + a large Militia, equivalent to a Mechanized army.
Power Energy: Excellent, Mixed. The City has a Geothermal plant built into it, all buildings incorporate Solar panels into their construction and the Pyramid's ability to manipulate local weather has made Wind power a extremely potent energy source in addition the Sewage lines are developed so that the sewage can be processed into bio gas and other byproducts.
Special Features: A Pyramid, regenerating buildings, massive amounts of high tech manufacturing and Circles of protection around the entire city and at key locations. The place is a gold mine to anyone who can hold it.

If you have an entire force of military to enforce the law, then perhaps you should consider lifting the ban on the supernaturally evil. Creatures like Demons and Deevils and others may not have an evil alignment, but will still radiate supernatural evil regardless.

You Know who does not complain about being shot? Dead Deevils...

:P
Aramanthus
Monk

I heard that dead deevils and their friends make great door stoppers! :D

HH....FIE
Carindel
Explorer

Unread post by Carindel »

This is a great idea! I'm doing something very similar in one of my campaigns, with a city further up the Pacific Coast. The rationale behind its founding was to provide a home for a lot of the westward-bound refugees from Tolkeen, as well as the slaves rescued by the Liberated Underground from the slave markets in Atlantis, and to establish a force for good in the reason before some well-meaning demon lord or Alien Intelligence decided to move in and set up shop. Great ideas so far, keep posting whatever you come up with or PM me if you ever want to chat about ideas/citybuilding!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

There are a few things at play in this scenario that my players don't know about.

Dweomer has known for decades that sometime immediately after the fall of Tolkien Dweomer would be struck dead on by a city busting nuclear warhead, They have an approximate date, Time and location because a rift from the future open up and deposited the radiation burned corpse of a Dweomer Soldier in Platinum Shield Body armor.

So they have decided to use the Merc company to build a new Dweomer before the attack happens and teleport everyone to safety before the bomb hits as all auguries on the subject implies that the bomb hits successfully no matter what anti-aircraft techniques they use (the bomb gets ported in via unusual techno-wizardry, the three have not deduced this).

So the Lords of Magic have hired every troop the Platinum Shield can muster to fight the Xitixix inside their hives, thier goal is to get as many xitixix weapons and corpses as possible, they are then planning to make zombies out of the most intact Xitixix corpses while selling the Weapons on the market to Naruni (who resells them in auction houses as unique pieces of art for a hefty profit.). When Dweomer's enemy plays its hand and bombs Dweomer and reveals itself it will find that it had hyjacked a CS nuke and used it on an empty city given the appearance of life with illusions. Then they will be Neck Deep in Bug Zombies. Cause you don't mess with Dweomer.

The Lord's Plan even involves taking Dweomer's Ley Lines from Dweomer and placing them over Alexandria in a defensive grid, and simply occupying Nexuses on the outskirts of town. The Lords honestly are not fond of the nuts and bolts o governance, they love their people and so they rule as wisely as possible but they would rather spend their time battling, researching magic or helping people than codifying tax regulations, so when they arrive in Alexandria, they will not take the reins of power unless they need to, preferring to nurture the magical parts of town and their private army to governance.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Alejandro wrote:How, exactly, do they plan on moving ley lines? They're not rivers that can be redirected.

Thats exactly what they are.

And its not like some RCSG Scientists got together and said "I'll tie a rope to it and drag it here!" these are the lords of fraking magic, they have forgotten more about the nature of the Ley Lines than most beings will ever be able to comprehend.

So basically massive pyramid ritual/deus aux Lords o magik. :P
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

rearnakedchoke wrote:
Alejandro wrote:How, exactly, do they plan on moving ley lines? They're not rivers that can be redirected.

Maybe they know somebody with Nazca Line Magic.

They do, but honestly its more "GODS OF MAGIC" than any cannon magic.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

airdale91 wrote:Hey R_B,

Question about the "Metropolis" spell of legend. Once you cast it on the city, if you do anymore expanding to it, will the new material transform once it's attached to the regenerating material??

Just curious, thinking of doing it to a castle that "appeared" in the middle of Dino Swamp and some reconstruction may be done later one.

Thanks

New material does not regenerate, and any mods you do to the old material would "heal", it may be possible for the stone masters and the earth warlocks to figure out a way to expand or change the city but for the most part the buildings are blank inside so that they can be modified by installing walls, plumbing etc.
Aramanthus
Monk

Hopefully they'll be able to escape their original fate. Please keep us posted on their progress!

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The Munchkin Fairy has graciously given me space to write up my city on her boards. Take a look, you can either comment by joining her boards or send me PMs with comments or questions.
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice! Are you going to be posting more here? I like the additions over there.

HH....FIE
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Unread post by chosenrifter »

So did this City ever get done?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Last session the ritual was enacted, it is done.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

rat_bastard wrote:Last session the ritual was enacted, it is done.

Did this ritual involve rock 'n roll? Or perhaps a starship?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Mark Hall wrote:

Everyone pay attention. Marks post was full of Win. He's doing it right.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Mark's post was full of something that rhymes with "Ape Tragic".
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

rat_bastard wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Mark's post was full of something that rhymes with "Ape Tragic".

And suddenly, the leg of my jeans feels violated.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Unread post by chosenrifter »

Have the Players drawen up the city or is it just all writen down? Would love to see some Drawnings :-) and a full write up :-)
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Unread post by psam_rage »

rat_bastard wrote:Center of the state fifty miles south of the cali/Oregon border

Where is the info on the West Coast? I can't find it ANYWHERE.

rearnakedchoke wrote:Maybe they know somebody with Nazca Line Magic.

Nazca Line Magic fun stuff.

This is what the city needed...
A central rift connected to all corners of a pentagon made of pentagram which is inside another pentagon. :lol: How's that for abuse of power?

Although scary would be using the Devil's Gate an the central point.
Aramanthus
Monk

Any further info? Just curious R_B.

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

New Locations in New Alexandria:

PJ. McGinntys: Dubbed by nearly every sentient race on earth be be the most disgusting bar in New Alexandria. PJ McGinntys is a Bar and Buffet in Slug City run and patronized by Slurmphs and Larmacs. Sanitation is nearly unheard of and the "food" at the buffet includes compost and garbage looted from other restaurants dumpsters in addition to bulk canned goods poured into warming trays and left until the tray is emptied. The one good part is the cheap and plentiful beer of surprising quality brewed in house. Admission is 5 credits and beer is 2 credits a pitcher, creatures without exceptional digestive systems need to save versus non lethal poison after eating, but the beer is fine, provided you clean your own glass.

The Triax Superstore: Early on a group of Savvy Merchants from the NGR decided to capitalize on the use of Pyramids to transport goods from the NGR to new Alexandria safely and have made a mint buying Triax goods in bulk and reselling them across the world at a 20% write up. Nearly any product that is not a cutting edge military design can be made available at a 20% write up.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

It must be built on Rock and Roll. : :lol:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:1. Build a dome over it.
Thats a pretty good idea but not in the stars for this city, maybe next one.

A Dome of MDC Glass with Ultra Thin Solar Panels poured onto it.
That way it looks like tinted glass but absorbs sun light to turn into Electricy. Just the "Solar Dome" alone would create enough electricy for the city's needs.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

Rat...

You should have the City Protected by Wizards with the Orginal AU Raithenor Symbiote Armors.Say 24 of them. Do not use the Parasite version from AU-GG however. Just use the Orginal write up. That way you have Wizards/Mystics able to use Spells, but each one has its own Living Power-Armor. If someone dies with it on, the armor can "select" another Wizard/Mystic who is willing to merge with the symbiote within 48 hours. Your not likely to every run out of Symbiote Armor Protectors this way. These guys can be the Special SWAT Team for the City. WRATHS. You Dont want the Wrath of the City coming for guys. You better behave...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

TechnoGothic wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:1. Build a dome over it.
Thats a pretty good idea but not in the stars for this city, maybe next one.

A Dome of MDC Glass with Ultra Thin Solar Panels poured onto it.
That way it looks like tinted glass but absorbs sun light to turn into Electricy. Just the "Solar Dome" alone would create enough electricy for the city's needs.

Stone pyramids Allow the stone master to control the local weather, as a result the majority of our electricity comes from wind power, followed by Geo-Thermal, Solar and TW energy sources. Allot of vehicles are powered by fusion power plants but almost no buildings or industries are.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Save on in-city transport by making them battery-electric or fuel cell...have a few fusion power stations charging up swappable battery packs or cracking hydrogen for the city vehicles.
Heck, make the city vehicle powerpacks compatible, like big e-clips, with city heavy defense weapons, so you can swipe a powerpack or two from an out of commission utility vehicle or public bus and keep that crew-served rail gun pulled out to provide point defense going.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

taalismn wrote:Save on in-city transport by making them battery-electric or fuel cell...have a few fusion power stations charging up swappable battery packs or cracking hydrogen for the city vehicles.
Heck, make the city vehicle powerpacks compatible, like big e-clips, with city heavy defense weapons, so you can swipe a powerpack or two from an out of commission utility vehicle or public bus and keep that crew-served rail gun pulled out to provide point defense going.

Electric Vehicles would be the way to go. In the City.
No need for batteries either. Run a grounding wire to a Set of Electral "rails" above or in the road ways. A Wire touches the "rails" creats a circuit and you go. Like Bumber cars or some Troleys in some cities. With the Metapolis Spell no wear and tear on the "Rails" and you have Self-repairing Public Transportation. Monorail Trains would be useful too.

No taxis or Buses. keep it simple to Trolley like vehicles and trams.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Rifts®”