A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest!

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rappanui wrote:because super powers don't breed true because they are random. it would Keep the parent's Looks, and native abilities, but super power mutations would not carry over, Only A few of their powers would breed true. (physical/attribute ones for example.)

That's not really a rule though, there's nothing about super powers not breeding true particularly not for being random. They're just as randomly developed as human intelligence or speech which can breed true (else new species wouldn't come about) so nothing to really support the idea that super-powers also being a random product of mutation wouldn't also be free to breed true.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Alright, I dug up my China I copy. Here's why I don't think a Naga Spawn can have super-powers, at least not through the mutation side of things:

China 1, p118: (Naga-Spawn section)
Roll up like a normal human character, selecting occupation, skills, alignment, etc. as usual.

Note: It mentions in the paragraph above that Naga females are attracted to "mortal men", finding "human males" interesting and alluring. This would likely rule out mutant animals, but if the mutant had a fully-human appearance, one might make a case to be considered human.

However, the quoted section is the coup de grace. By definition, a mutant is not a normal human character. Ergo, one cannot be both a mutant and a Naga Spawn.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Nightmask
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:Alright, I dug up my China I copy. Here's why I don't think a Naga Spawn can have super-powers, at least not through the mutation side of things:

China 1, p118: (Naga-Spawn section)
Roll up like a normal human character, selecting occupation, skills, alignment, etc. as usual.

Note: It mentions in the paragraph above that Naga females are attracted to "mortal men", finding "human males" interesting and alluring. This would likely rule out mutant animals, but if the mutant had a fully-human appearance, one might make a case to be considered human.

However, the quoted section is the coup de grace. By definition, a mutant is not a normal human character. Ergo, one cannot be both a mutant and a Naga Spawn.

Afraid I've yet to see anything define mutants as not being normal human characters.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

From the first online dictionary I clicked on.

mu•tant (ˈmyut nt)

n.
1. a new type of organism produced as the result of mutation.

How, especially if we're talking about an AtB-type mutant with loads of variations from the modern norms, could such a mutant be considered a normal human?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Nightmask
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:From the first online dictionary I clicked on.

mu•tant (ˈmyut nt)

n.

How, especially if we're talking about an AtB-type mutant with loads of variations from the modern norms, could such a mutant be considered a normal human?

You do realize that things like hemophilia and the ability to be immune or resistant to the Plague and AIDS are mutations right? So do you think that they aren't normal humans since they aren't part of the norms? A mutation may or may not be inheritable but you're still human, and new attributes enter a species through such inheritable mutations (like the aforementioned protection against Plague). Things just get exaggerated when your mutations in a super-powered setting can include things like a Healing Factor or the power of flight.

Nightmask
Palladin

Rappanui wrote:Naga Females are attracted to ACTRACTIVE or Powerful Mortal men. not hideous once been humans with 8 Diffirent animals and No freaking hands and a hideous mutant appearance. there's just no ifs and butts.

You emphasize the word 'attractive' while ignoring the word 'powerful', or that it says 'or' not 'and'. If the listed hideous mutant proved powerful well it's made clear in the text that powerful is an acceptable attractive factor to them.

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Man...
If a Naga spawn doesn't want my mutant's old man to be her Baby Daddy, it doesn't really matter. Aside from demolishing the spirit of munchkinism, it doesn't matter if the Naga-Spawn part is excluded. All it adds is 1D6 to P.E...
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Nightmask wrote:
Hotrod wrote:From the first online dictionary I clicked on.

mu•tant (ˈmyut nt)

n.

You do realize that things like hemophilia and the ability to be immune or resistant to the Plague and AIDS are mutations right? So do you think that they aren't normal humans since they aren't part of the norms? A mutation may or may not be inheritable but you're still human, and new attributes enter a species through such inheritable mutations (like the aforementioned protection against Plague). Things just get exaggerated when your mutations in a super-powered setting can include things like a Healing Factor or the power of flight.

That's an interesting point. Certainly, the scope of what constitutes "normal human" varies widely, and something as alien as a Naga may have a broader perspective than I do. Let's turn this about. If an After The Bomb mutant with many nonhuman characteristics and super powers falls within your definition of "normal human", how do you draw that line? What would a Naga say no to?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Rappanui wrote:Nagas are Divine beings can breed with any species. But they wouldn't be able to breed with After the bomb mutants, and breed the parent's powers.

If they are divine or supernatural in origin they are blocked from having super powers according to conversion book 1.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Is this Naga thing people are talking about different from the ones in CB2?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Tor wrote:Is this Naga thing people are talking about different from the ones in CB2?

The Naga we are talking about are a race of Demons in Rifts China 1, the Naga-Spawn are the offspring they have when breeding with mortals.

Return to “Rifts®”