CS Ranger Bonuses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

devillin
Adventurer

CS Ranger Bonuses

Unread post by devillin »

I'm making a CS Ranger from CWC and I noticed something strange. Is it just me, or is the CS Ranger the only OCC that has no bonuses other than those for their skills? No attribute bonuses, no saving throw bonuses, nothing. I get that they have the widest variety of equipment that they can pick from as their standard weaponry/armor/vehicles, but is that really enough to offset their lack of bonuses?
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Note: Palladium does not attempt to inherently make all classes equal like some other game systems.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: CS Ranger Bonuses

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

devillin wrote:I'm making a CS Ranger from CWC and I noticed something strange. Is it just me, or is the CS Ranger the only OCC that has no bonuses other than those for their skills? No attribute bonuses, no saving throw bonuses, nothing. I get that they have the widest variety of equipment that they can pick from as their standard weaponry/armor/vehicles, but is that really enough to offset their lack of bonuses?

A lot of OCCs don't have anything special other than their skills.... :-?
Bonuses are just that; something extra.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

techboss wrote:The one thing players must relieze when playing most Palladium games and especially Rifts, the OCCs are not balanced. In some games the power levels are closer together, but they are not balanced.

The Wilderness Scout is supposed to be a scout, not a combat character. You are to lead the party through dangerous territory while avoiding the baddies and keeping everyone alive. The Scout is supposed to avoid conflict and report back to his superiors about where the baddies are.

And that's the only odd part.
The CS Ranger is supposed to be the CS version of a Wilderness Scout.
Wilderness Scouts get bonuses to SDC and PE, but the CS guy gets nothing.
I guess Wilderness Scouts are just tougher.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The CS Ranger is supposed to be the CS version of a Wilderness Scout.

The CS Ranger gets cool looking armor?
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Jefffar wrote:Note: Palladium does not attempt to inherently make all classes equal like some other game systems.

Yes, I've noticed.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen

Unread post by Guest »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
techboss wrote:The one thing players must relieze when playing most Palladium games and especially Rifts, the OCCs are not balanced. In some games the power levels are closer together, but they are not balanced.

The Wilderness Scout is supposed to be a scout, not a combat character. You are to lead the party through dangerous territory while avoiding the baddies and keeping everyone alive. The Scout is supposed to avoid conflict and report back to his superiors about where the baddies are.

I like to think of it like a wild dog vs. a tame dog, the civilian Wilderness Scout has to deal with more stuff, live a harder life. CS Rangers are military trained to be sure, not as a soldier, but as a guide. Their equipment is more readily available, thier armor is tougher, and they have the protection of surrounding soldiers. They don't have to "rough" it quite as much. I'm not bashing military scouts either, my father was a Cav. Scout in the Army. I know how tough he is. But, wild dog vs. tame dog, after weeks in the field my dad came home. That's not going to be as tough as a mountain man that lives up in the Cascades the majority of his time. I'd say that if the Ranger wasn't given any bonuses, it's because they were forgotten (30% chance), they aren't tough enough to recieve them (50%), or some other completely different reason (20%).
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Res Sin Kai wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I like to think of it like a wild dog vs. a tame dog, the civilian Wilderness Scout has to deal with more stuff, live a harder life. CS Rangers are military trained to be sure, not as a soldier, but as a guide. Their equipment is more readily available, thier armor is tougher, and they have the protection of surrounding soldiers. They don't have to "rough" it quite as much. I'm not bashing military scouts either, my father was a Cav. Scout in the Army. I know how tough he is. But, wild dog vs. tame dog, after weeks in the field my dad came home. That's not going to be as tough as a mountain man that lives up in the Cascades the majority of his time. I'd say that if the Ranger wasn't given any bonuses, it's because they were forgotten (30% chance), they aren't tough enough to recieve them (50%), or some other completely different reason (20%).

That's pretty much what I thought when I read the class. They're like wilderness scouts, but don't spend all their time in the field, hence the lack of bonuses.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The CS Ranger is supposed to be the CS version of a Wilderness Scout.

Actually, the CS Ranger gets any armor that he wants.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.

Unread post by Guest »

CS Special Forces wrote:he gets any armor that he wants and look at the backup! thanks all for commenting on this post. my group was wondering the same thing! thanks all i really agree with what all was said.

Of course, you could make a GM ruling and give Wilderness Scout bonuses to the Ranger also. It's solely up to you.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

devillin wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

Actually, the CS Ranger gets any armor that he wants.

True, but not every OCC gets a uber cool full page illustration by Vince Martin. As for the rest, yea, the CS Rangers got screwed on the bonuses that the Wilderness Scouts get. But maybe it'll be fixed in a future edition of the books.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I really don't see a problem with the Ranger missing out of the Occ bonuses. I know that classes in Rifts are anything but balences, but there is a little give and take between the two classes. Sort of like the Rogue Scholar/Scientist and the CS version. They are similar, and do pretty much the same job, but aren't quite the same.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”