Robotech vs. Gundam

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Robotech vs. Gundam

Robotech
71%
Gundam
29%

Total votes: 45

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:yes the brand had existed before but my point was that the RT RPG came out AFTER the Battletech game.

Palladium's copyright on the Robotech game was 1983 (checked inside of Robotech RPG book).
BattleDroids/BattleTech first came on the scene in 1984 (this is from the Classic BattleTech website).

Thanks I remember looking it up once but I couldn't recall what they were from. I do know that FASA stole more than just those though.

I mentioned most of them earlier in the thread under their Robotech names. :)

Hmm interesting considering Harmony Gold didn't release it until 1985 :) According to the RT book and Wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia:
FASA release BT in 1984 Likley Battle Droids at that time.
Harmony Gold released RT in 1985
According to Palladium Books Robotech® (which made is debut Fall 1986)

So Palladium puts RTRPG 1 year after HG realeases RT: Macross and 2 years after FASA releases Battledroids.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross was made in 1982.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

so long as we are going to try and comare mechs, lets toss in the Original Munchin mechs, the Evangelion series Unit 00 01 02. . .

(theis things are aparently built so they can go up against Deity level oponents)
冠双
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

sorry the AT fields are not invincible, and the Weapons in Gundam are stronger then nukes. EVAs lose Period. And the Biggest Mechs in Gundam are Giant Battleship robots. bigger then EVAs ( evidence the Psycho Gundam and Big Zam) heck, even the AEUG RX48 with Pod is bigger then an eva.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

ok story wise (considering that both micross and gundam were created to sell the toys) both good in there own ways. i think that gundam was better, well at least the UC, stuff. Robotech was much softer, and i hate to say it more of a romance. wile in gundam was all about growing up and that war is hell. look at Amuro, as a kid he sees his father die gits in gundam for revenge. joins army, deserts when friend dies, told he's a newtype, (and big hero of earth by military), find a girl and kills her, war ends and he is basically under house arrest for being a newtype by same military, quits helps rebels to save earth again, becomes a hero again, she dies. then he dies saving planet from bin asteroid, maybe?
As for the rest, the Nu Gundam would kick any robotech mecha's but. Three to six bits that are used both for defensive and offensive roles. Head guns for anti-aircraft, a beam saber, hyper bazooka, and the normal beam rifle.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

FBH wrote:Now, getting back to the point of the argument, you could say that Max had a superior mecha to his opposition, but the degree of superiority is not that marked and few gundam aces have achieved the kind of untouchablity Max often displays (though I don't disagree that he'd lose to Char or Amuro, but that's more cause they're new types to them being far superior pilots)

Actually, Char was by far a better pilot than Amuro through all the series up to CCA, where they are about equal. Until the more recent series retroconned Char as having an S-model Zaku at the beginning of the war, he was listed as having destroyed 5 warships with a standard C-model Zaku during the battle of Loum. Amuro was a better gunner than Char, which made their battles evenly matched since neither one could touch the other. Also, it should be noted that Char and Amuro were the weakest of all the Newtypes seen in the various series, with both of them barely having any telepathic ability at all. They both had intuitive combat senses that enabled them to survive. Other pilots, like Lalah Sune, Camille, Paptimus Scirroco, even that one MA pilot from the OYW, were stronger Newtypes than Char and Amuro. Char and Amuro weren't able to do half the feats that the other Newtypes were able to do until their MS were equipped with the Psycommu system.
I think in equal mecha, Max, Char, and Amuro would be about equal in that none of them would really be able to touch the others. The one advantage Max would have over the other two would come in hand-to-hand combat, mostly because he is a phenomenal martial artist, and Char and Amuro are not.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:some of them, like the 8th MS team, the Gundams are only slightly superior to normal mobile suits. for that matter I belive the origional Gundam was kinda like that too

in Gundam wing, other mobile suits were cannon fodder.

Original Gundam had superior Gundarium armor to the Zaku. Plus Sho was a New Type.

Actually, the original Gundam had lunar titanium armor, which is basically a lighter, stronger version of titanium armor, where-as the Zaku had steel armor. Otherwise, when it comes to straight construction, both MS were built in almost exactly the same manner (monoquoke shell). It was shown many times during the original series where pilots using Zakus, Goufs, Doms, and I think a Magella Top, were able to damage the Gundam quite severely. The episode that best showed that was the one where Sayla tried to show that she could pilot the Gundam, and got the head shot up and the feet cut off.
In the later part of the series, you had MS like the Gyan and Gelgoog that could easily show up the Gundam if it wasn't for the fact that Amuro was a superior pilot by that point in the story.

In the end though, the victor would be determined by who was the better pilot, although having a match up between equivalent capability MS and Valkyries would be interesting. Something like the Nu Gundam (with fin funnels) versus the VF-2SS (from Mac II with Sap Specials). Or a Zeta Gundam/Murasume versus a VF-1S. Or the Re-GZ versus a standard VF-1.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Robotech all the way.

Simple, higher technology stomps the crap out of lower.

The Gundam UC Universe is outclassed in every aspect from small arms, mecha, weapon yields and spacecraft.

Oooh....they're gonna spread those evil Minovski Particles. Wow, you've rendered my Radar and IR guidance systems null. Guess I'll switch over to Television or Laser guided instead, if not more exotic like Tachyon on a starship. Oh, and the weapons ranges in Robotech far exceed that of anything in Gundam. Hope the Mobile Suits love being hit from thousands of kilometers away.

I love UC Gundam, but lets be honest. Robotech mecha do not have to close to visual range to battle them in space, with the exception to the Alpha (if you discount the model showing it mounting medium range missiles under its forward fuselage). They can safely stay at stand-off ranges for most mecha and lob missiles at them that get around those pesky Minovski's.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

i hate to say but your wrong about the tech. the gundam beam rifle is a heavy particle beam) with long range, think of one of the heavy beam cannons for a zent. ship. and thats in the original. the nu gundams fin funnels look like the main cannons when they fire. and don't get me started on mobile armors.
i also remember an ova with a gundam that destoys half a fleet with one nuke and a bazooka. thats firepower.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

devillin wrote:
FBH wrote:Now, getting back to the point of the argument, you could say that Max had a superior mecha to his opposition, but the degree of superiority is not that marked and few gundam aces have achieved the kind of untouchablity Max often displays (though I don't disagree that he'd lose to Char or Amuro, but that's more cause they're new types to them being far superior pilots)

Actually, Char was by far a better pilot than Amuro through all the series up to CCA, where they are about equal. Until the more recent series retroconned Char as having an S-model Zaku at the beginning of the war, he was listed as having destroyed 5 warships with a standard C-model Zaku during the battle of Loum. Amuro was a better gunner than Char, which made their battles evenly matched since neither one could touch the other. Also, it should be noted that Char and Amuro were the weakest of all the Newtypes seen in the various series, with both of them barely having any telepathic ability at all. They both had intuitive combat senses that enabled them to survive. Other pilots, like Lalah Sune, Camille, Paptimus Scirroco, even that one MA pilot from the OYW, were stronger Newtypes than Char and Amuro. Char and Amuro weren't able to do half the feats that the other Newtypes were able to do until their MS were equipped with the Psycommu system.
I think in equal mecha, Max, Char, and Amuro would be about equal in that none of them would really be able to touch the others. The one advantage Max would have over the other two would come in hand-to-hand combat, mostly because he is a phenomenal martial artist, and Char and Amuro are not.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:some of them, like the 8th MS team, the Gundams are only slightly superior to normal mobile suits. for that matter I belive the origional Gundam was kinda like that too

in Gundam wing, other mobile suits were cannon fodder.

Original Gundam had superior Gundarium armor to the Zaku. Plus Sho was a New Type.

Actually, the original Gundam had lunar titanium armor, which is basically a lighter, stronger version of titanium armor, where-as the Zaku had steel armor. Otherwise, when it comes to straight construction, both MS were built in almost exactly the same manner (monoquoke shell). It was shown many times during the original series where pilots using Zakus, Goufs, Doms, and I think a Magella Top, were able to damage the Gundam quite severely. The episode that best showed that was the one where Sayla tried to show that she could pilot the Gundam, and got the head shot up and the feet cut off.
In the later part of the series, you had MS like the Gyan and Gelgoog that could easily show up the Gundam if it wasn't for the fact that Amuro was a superior pilot by that point in the story.

In the end though, the victor would be determined by who was the better pilot, although having a match up between equivalent capability MS and Valkyries would be interesting. Something like the Nu Gundam (with fin funnels) versus the VF-2SS (from Mac II with Sap Specials). Or a Zeta Gundam/Murasume versus a VF-1S. Or the Re-GZ versus a standard VF-1.

OK your talking from the series. I'm talking from the books that were written by Yoshiyuki Tomino. The books that started it all. Though it has been awhile since I have read it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

UC gundam Time line Ended way back with Gundam V.

AC Gundam Time line is when all the fun stuff comes out.

the armaments on the (much later Mass Produced) Doms are more powerful then the earlier mass produced zakus.

as for the lack of missile mechs in space... They really are a waste of resources for a lunar colonist...

if you want to see a more "Even" use of mech and super mech, the series Turn A gundam Did a pretty good job of it ( Salabis, Devil Turn A and Turn X Gundams Oh my)...

infact Turn A with the Moonlight Butterfly Weapon system is perhaps the most powerful .. (it's a nanotech plague weapon system, powerful enough to lay waste to the world)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”