I got ManHunters, sweet!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

I got ManHunters, sweet!

Unread post by GundamChief »

Okay here are my questions.

1. apparently humans can mate with other races (Kirn in paticular) so is there halflings or are the offspring just one or the other?

2. There is supposed to be Bionics (as it shows) but I don't see any stats for Bionics or Cybernetics, so is there something I'm missing or do I just use Rifts as a basis?

3. Are Rifter submissions allowed on manhunters or is that over with? ( I honestly don't know!)

4. Are there more Manhunter books?

and last for now!

5. What kind of adventures are recomended? (I know it should be suited for my tates but I wonder what is popular)
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: I got ManHunters, sweet!

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

GundamChief wrote:Okay here are my questions.

1. apparently humans can mate with other races (Kirn in paticular) so is there halflings or are the offspring just one or the other?

probablly be like human/zentradi mixtures. mostly human with a few traits of the other.

2. There is supposed to be Bionics (as it shows) but I don't see any stats for Bionics or Cybernetics, so is there something I'm missing or do I just use Rifts as a basis?

standard Rifts Bionics

3. Are Rifter submissions allowed on manhunters or is that over with? ( I honestly don't know!)

no.

4. Are there more Manhunter books?

no. and palladium will never make them either. Myrmidion Press is out of business permanantly.

and last for now!

5. What kind of adventures are recomended? (I know it should be suited for my tates but I wonder what is popular)

I don't have it so I don't know :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Manhunters was a fun book, but to my knowledge nothing else was published for the background. It was a collaborative effort that didn't work out and I believe the relationship between Palladium and the other publishing company ended badly.

I don't think they can take rifter submission because PB doesn't own the rights to the setting.

The half-breed thing is a good question, I'll have to re-read my copy and see if I can come up with something.

I'd just use rifts bionics, maybe stick with the lighter stuff(no full conversions) to retain the feel of the setting.

as to adventures, I've never gotten the chance to play in the setting(only one GM wanted to run a game, and that didn't pan out.) So I don't have any advice about that save the thought that it seems to be a 'swashbuckler' setting, watch some pirate movies and play it fast moving.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Avenger
Wanderer

Unread post by Avenger »

As far as the half breeds go, Id say they are like puppies in a movie where the dog is the main character, half are the species of the mom and half are the species of the dad.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Zazshann wrote:Ok, here's a question; what is manhunters? I saw a copy on a shelf MANY years ago, but passed it up because it looked like a crappy dimension book that was outsourced. And I hate oursourcing.

Manhunter was originally a game published by a company called Myrmidon Press, it was a separate game system from palladium entirely.

Palladium gave them a licence to do a version of manhunter using the PB ruleset, the idea being that PB gets another dimension book for rifts and Myrmidon gets a boost in sales and some free publicity for their books. A win-win scenario.

Unfortunately something soured the partnership and they didn't do anymore books, Myrmidon press folded awhile later and that was the end of Manhunter.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Kalinda wrote:
Zazshann wrote:Ok, here's a question; what is manhunters? I saw a copy on a shelf MANY years ago, but passed it up because it looked like a crappy dimension book that was outsourced. And I hate oursourcing.

Manhunter was originally a game published by a company called Myrmidon Press, it was a separate game system from palladium entirely.

Palladium gave them a licence to do a version of manhunter using the PB ruleset, the idea being that PB gets another dimension book for rifts and Myrmidon gets a boost in sales and some free publicity for their books. A win-win scenario.

Unfortunately something soured the partnership and they didn't do anymore books, Myrmidon press folded awhile later and that was the end of Manhunter.

From the sounds of it, it was more along the lines of kevin being disappointed with the quality of the book than anything else. Perhaps it was this that caused him to become even more stingy not allowing anyone else to publish under palladium/rifts name?

The conversion to Palladium was ok, but the book itself just wasn't strong. It's a collectors book, but nothing I'd ever personally use in an
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

CPT Porter wrote:
Kalinda wrote:Unfortunately something soured the partnership and they didn't do anymore books, Myrmidon press folded awhile later and that was the end of Manhunter.

Part of the Myrmidon and Palladium deal was that Myrmidon kept editorial control of the Manhunter Rifts books. The agreement was limited to one book and one printing. After that one printing Kevin refused to extend the agreement to even allow printing more copies of the first book, let alone agreeing to the publishing of new Rifts Manhunter material.

I'm not sure where you got all this stuff but your way off. There was nothing in the Myrmidon contract whatsoever like you've stated here. Palladium had editorial control, there was no "One book and one printing" clause. The reason the agreement was terminated was Myrmidon breached the contract, plain and simple.

Please don't post rumors as fact unless your sure of your information.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

Okay, checked the OCC for cybernetics, now where are the cybernetics themselves?
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Rifts Main Book and Bionic Sourcebook.

and on a fun note, I just got a copy of manhunter myself today :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dark brandon
Knight

Maryann wrote:I'm not sure where you got all this stuff but your way off. There was nothing in the Myrmidon contract whatsoever like you've stated here. Palladium had editorial control, there was no "One book and one printing" clause. The reason the agreement was terminated was Myrmidon breached the contract, plain and simple.

Please don't post rumors as fact unless your sure of your information.

Wow, I haven't seen anyone Pw3nd that hard since I was playing Halo online and hit a guy so hard he fell off the intarnetz
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
dark brandon
Knight

CPT Porter wrote:Your ability to use 133t speak clearly demonstrates that you are a rebel who plays by his own rules. You are hip to an underground most people have no idea exists. They drift through life unaware of the thrills brought by sitting in a dark room, pressing buttons, eating Fritos, and drinking Bawls. Dark Brandon, you must be the coolest of them all, for you are truely one with Master Chief.

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

is it just me or was i the only one who didnt like Manhunter?

No, you arn't the only one, but that wasn't what was asked. But I agree...I didn't like it much, but if someone did, good for them! :ok:
Last edited by dark brandon on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dark brandon
Knight

Zazshann wrote:**kicks back, pops a few handfulls of cheezy-poofs and watches the flame-war**

Your right...I'll behave....
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the Anvil Galaxy , Three Galaxies , And of course phase world are useful for manhunter. as is Merc Ops/Mercenaries. The Book says to use standard rifts psionics/cybernetics for the game.

as for the Manhunter rpg, 3 books were made, 2 were non palladium rules, and had worse info, and the rifts book was more complete.

Other then that, Try Cosmic Enforcers, Also by Myrmidon, for stuff you can add to Manhunter universe game
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Other then that, Try Cosmic Enforcers, Also by Myrmidon, for stuff you can add to Manhunter universe game

I'm a Manhunter fan, but forget adding Cosmic Enforcers stuff to Manhunter. Just play Cosmic Enforcers - with a little GM love, it's a great game in its own right.

Written in part by Kevin Long and C.J. Carella, the Palladium influence on the system is significant. Indeed, I've often thought that a cleaned up version of the Cosmic Enforcers ruleset would make for a terrific revision of Palladium's own. As a supers game, I'd rate CE ahead of Heroes Unlimited, and as a Sci-Fi game, I think it's as good as Phase World. Definitely worth a look. :)

Return to “Rifts®”