Rifts Darwin Awards!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Rifts Darwin Awards!

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Yes people. as we all know, Rifts is a rough planet where only the fittest survive. 100 years after the apocalypse, already we have seen Natural Selection acting to save humanity. new subcatagories of humans, such as Psi-Stalkers and Mind Melters and Nega Psychics, have bread favorable traits so they can survive in this brave new world. and they're not the only ones.

Holding humanity back, are people who are not fit. some people however, realize on the subconsious level that they are unfit to breed, and so do their duty to humanity by Heroically removing themselves from the gene pool.

With this in mind, I hereby open the doors to the first annual Rifts Darwin Awards.

the contest is simple. you post the most utterly innane things your have seen characters do and getting themselves killed by it. or an NPC. or even another persons character. bring your craziest stories that just makes the GM say "That guy deserved to be killed" and GM's, feel free to humble your players by revealing the most hummiliating ways you've killed them.

Submissions will be open for 1-3 months depending on response. after that, all stories will be reposted and voted on. only 10 will make the first cut.

and remember folks, This is all in good fun to see the crazy way you've gotten yourself killed in character 8-)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I had a character called Haywire that had a suit of custom made power armor. The party was trying to get into the Guild of the Gifted, and they wouldn't let us past the front gate.
I tried to rip the gate off the hinges.
I was hit by a lot of lightning and told to leave.
I launched a mini-missile at their main building.
More lightning.
The other players need a broom and dustpan to collect my remains.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:A gunslinger I know of challenged a demonic woman to a full contact spar even after the demonic girl said "no, I don't want to hurt you." Said gunslinger went down in four attacks. :P

but she's still capable or reproducing :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Once, in a Rifts game (when it first came out), we had a character jump out of a Death's Head Transport (or similar vehicle) when it was bout 1 mile or so in the air.

When questioned about this by the other players, the Cyber-Knight's response was, "It doesn't matter, I'm in MDC armor. The ground is just SDC!"

The Gamemaster was at a loss at this reasoning, until my roomie pointed out the rules for falling, in which it states that MDC armor doesn't protect you from falling damage.

However, the Cyber-Knight was partly right; after pouring out his gooified remains, we did have a set of MDC armor that was completely unscathed by the fall. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

GM: The Dead Boy has a laser pistol to your head. He tells you to go through the door or die.
PC (not in armour, not MDC): I turn around and go the other way.
GM: *rolls dice* Okay, that's 3 MDC to your unprotected head.
PC (whose ehad has just been turned inside out): I roll with damage!
GM, other PCs: :shock: Huh?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jefffar wrote:GM: The Dead Boy has a laser pistol to your head. He tells you to go through the door or die.
PC (not in armour, not MDC): I turn around and go the other way.
GM: *rolls dice* Okay, that's 3 MDC to your unprotected head.
PC (whose ehad has just been turned inside out): I roll with damage!
GM, other PCs: :shock: Huh?

GM: "Ok, 2 MD to your unprotected head"

(always round up)

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Same Player, different character (obviously) & campaign.

In a short-lived Dog-Boy campaign, we were playing a gang of 'Feral' Dog-Boys in the burbs. Trying to establish the gang's foothold, we realized we needed capital, and alot of it.

So, it was found that we could earn quick cash at a local Gladitorial Arena (Kept secret from the Coalition of course).

When the GM (my roomie) was pressed by the player as to what the highest money making fight was, he was told: SDC creatures, MDC melee weapons, no armor. The current champion: A Minotaur Juicer.

The player considered this for a few moments and decided that he 'could crit on Initiative & then roll a Critical Hit, and THEN roll near maximum damage to defeat the Minotaur.* :shock:

Combat started, and needless to say, we were looking for a replacement Dog-Boy in less than a melee round. :D

*(Our gaming group calls a move like this 'Going for The Golden BB', ie the one-in-a-million shot ["What kinda Super-Man Bull Sh** stories have I been hearin'? Catchin' bullets with his teeth? N**** please!" - Last Dragon]. Ala Indiana Jones stopping a tank by firing a gun & it going into the tiny window slot, ricocheting around & killing everyone inside.)
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Had a character in a Phase World campaign jump out of an airlock, sans space suit, to pursue a pirate. After declaring this, he said, "Wait...I'm not a Cosmo-Knight anymore, am I?"

The CK was his previous character who met a horrible fate from the effects of a Rift Projection Cannon. His new character *was* a Wolfen Bounty Hunter.
Remember who you wanted to be.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

hehehe

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

My nomination? Edaku, true atlantean DBCCM (Death By Cotton Candy Maker).

The player was booted from the game so we needed to figure out how he died. We were at the circus so the cotton candy maker seemed amuzing. It's now being used to dispose of supernatural criminals...
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

1. Nega-Psychic decided to go head to head with a Glitterboy with a vibro-claw... so as he's running at the GB he gets promptly blown in half... his excuse later (I was covering so that the dragon could escape) even though the dragon had warped out well before he even decided to attack the GB

2. A samurai that after a brutal fight with the same GB (Yeah this one was the cause of a few deaths) Anyways, it's after the fight, he's got 2HP left and he's bleeding badly and will die soon. I tell the player this and he goes. "I get down on my knees, take my wakazashi and cut my wrist to make a blood oath to never kill again. Well that cut was all he needed to put him into a coma in the middle of enemy territory and eventually die. After that he had the nerve to call me a killer GM.

Same player just lost a leg against a Baal-rog in my most recent game... at this rate I might have another contestant for the award ^_^.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

When I was GMing one of my first Rifts games, a player decided to attack the rest of the party for some inexplicable reason...

Most of the party was investigating inside a towering building in the ruins of Detroit. Two character in the party where two Mech Pilots. All of the sudden, a player playing one of the mech pilots announces "I'm attacking the building the other characters are in with 2 long range missles."

Needless to say the other player gave him dirty looks and even his friend in the other mech was like "Dude, what are you doing."

So he fires, and rolled a natural 1, missing the building entierly, and hitting the Mercenary Co-op across the street...

...Needless to say the Mecenary's let him live, but dismantled his mech. He was never again invited to play in our group...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Its a tossup

Dumbest thing I can think of was a freind of mine (a Glitterboy pilot)who got annoyed when the Gods of Dragonwright told the group that they had earned their eternal gratitude and mentioned that at the very least he should make him the most powerfull runewepon known.

So they did.

Literaly his charater is now a Rune knife that is cursed with being the most powerfull rune wepon known, and as soon as another more powerfull weapon is known in the world he is curently on, he is instantly teliported to the beguining of time for another world so that he will always be the most powerfull weapon known.

the other?

My charater made the mistake of kind of defending him for being an idiot, and as soon as I realised that I was not doing myself any favors, I shrank down to the size of a kitten in order to try and avoid notice, Ever since Flamestrake has been stuck being the size of a kitten when he is in Dragon from

But on the bright side, I got a cool GB armor that I was able to convert into Portable lair #1, and put in some TW modifications.
冠双
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... doing the Archie adventure from SB1:

First battle, a damaged Rhino-Buffalo robot attacks. It wins initiative, attacks my Crazy with a full speed charge, the GM rolls a Nat 20 for it. I decide to not attempt a dodge, since it will just hit me anyway and I don't want to waste the action... bad decision, I should've tried to dodge. So I died on the first attack of the first melee round of the first battle. And I was the one who hounded my friends to play that night.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

A Ley Line walker in our group decided that since she got the Lightning rod (the one that makes her invulnerable to energy attacks) she would never again wear armor. SHe ran into a group of Juicers using JA-11's. She was walking toward them without a care in the world to finish them off at magic range. After realizing their ion/lazers had no effect, one planted a 7.56 mm round deep into her chest.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

:lol: These are great!

Let's see...

1. In (yet again) ARCHIE the fit is hitting the shan and everyone is running for it. The alarm has gone off, all of ARCHIE's kill-bots are springing into action, and it's time to hit the hills. Every one does, except for the juicer, who decides to hide INSIDE the secured perimiter of the ARCHIE complex, diving in just before the blast doors close. "Hey, they'd NEVER expect me to hide here!" He was right about that. It took them a good 5 minutes before they found him.

2. There was the RPA pilot in the Silverhawk that decided to do a simultaneous strike against a full volley of mini-missiles...

3. Not Rifts, but N&SS. Blatant Van Damme character rip-off and macho tool decides to single-handedly assault the enemy HQ. After a protracted gun fight Boss decides to call out the "hero". "If you're a man, you'll fight me hand to hand!" the boss yells and throws away his gun. Our "Hero" takes the challange, stands up, and tosses away his gun. About that time the dishonorable Boss has his snipers gun down our hero. Blam, thud. Meat.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

My candidate:

Several years ago I had a player who got his character killed almost every session. It became a running joke. One of these incidents stands out however.

The group (basically mercenaries) had just disabled and captured a CS Abolisher mostly intact and they want to sell it. However, they had no parts or skills to get it running again or any way to transport it. So, said player’s character volunteers to go ‘acquire’ a transport vehicle. With a little luck and decent role-playing he manages to find a small cities vehicle depot not too far from where the group is at. And as luck would have it, they have large nuclear powered flat bed truck with crane. It looks like it is a battlefield robot repair transport. This is where it all goes down hill, fast.

The character jumps in the open cab and looks for some keys, but no luck. The keys are not in the vehicle. So he declares he is going to hotwire it. I of course ask him to roll on his auto mechanic skill. He gives me a blank stare. After a short discussion we come to the conclusion that he has no piloting or mechanical skills at all and no way of knowing how to hotwire this thing. But, I allow characters to try anything. They just have a really low chance of success. The player is all for it. He throws the dice, and they settle on 00 and 0. Not so good, something really bad should happen considering he doesn’t have a single skill to help him with the task. So, he rolls again to see how bad he screws it up. Dice settle on 90 and 9 this time. Now it’s really bad. I decide he broke into the wrong compartment on the dash and then crossed the wrong cables. He crossed two of the main power cords coming from the nuclear power plant and electrocutes himself. Trying to be nice I let him roll the damage, of 6D6 to HP. It sounded reasonable at the time. What I didn’t know was that he only had about 20 HP. Of course as things would have it, he rolls really well and does almost max damage. Another dead character.

We laughed for a long time at him on this one. I couldn’t believe it. A character got killed by trying to hotwire a vehicle. We still tease him about from time to time. He still plays, just doesn't get his characters killed so often.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

K if this topic is going to the player then i got a funny one.

FYI: This happened all in the course of a HALF HOUR

Our friend was playing a Gnome High Magus and we somehow found our way to a dimention of hell and we found an ancient dwarven rune castle sitting there; Well of course being the typical people we are we all headed for the castle.
We get into through the main doors, after fighting off skeletons, and entered and had to fight a couple of easy monsters there as well, but this is where it got interesting cause when we went through the next set of doors we decided to wait for a couple of people to waken up from unconscienciousness, BUT the Gnome magus went on without us, he goes in and looks around, Failed his perception and with a Nat20 he was cleaved in Half by an enchanted armor.

Introducing his next character was an Atlantean Juicer who escaped from his master who Dimensionally teleporting his there as a final spell and she joined up with us, going through a random door and across a room we found a library, Me being the mage wanted to look around, well while we were "looking" around 2 Gavu (pardon the spelling on them) Demons came running up, the juicer by the door turned around and was paired struck with another Nat20 and was quartered.

So if this award goes to the player, i'd vote this guy, going through 2 characters in a half hour. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Same player as the previous two posts.

In a really seedy low-down dirty scum filled section of a city we were in, he decides to go gun shopping.

Finding a store, run by a (of course) suspicious-looking fellow, the PC inquires about purchasing the heaviest pistol the man can offer. The gun-dealer offers up some sort of fireball or plasma pistol and our friend's character expresses satisfaction with it.

After putting his money on the counter, our friend suddenly gets an inspiration. "Hey, you mind showing me how that gun works?"

Gun Store Owner (pointing the gun at the PC and pulling the trigger) - "Sure. Like this."

*Fblam!*

*Thud*
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Maybe not, but it was still pretty funny. :D
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:oh I just remembered a great one.

Ley line walker (player character) facing down three CS deadboys. "I am impervious to your petty energy weapons!"

Cyborg Soldier: "Oh yeah? Prove it?" (hands the mage his gun)

LLW puts gun to his head and pulls the trigger....

The Cyborg had handed him a Dead Man's rail gun....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can see a Mindmelter acting like that more or even a mystic knight .. but thats great...lol
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
SkyeFyre
Hero

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:oh I just remembered a great one.

Ley line walker (player character) facing down three CS deadboys. "I am impervious to your petty energy weapons!"

Cyborg Soldier: "Oh yeah? Prove it?" (hands the mage his gun)

LLW puts gun to his head and pulls the trigger....

The Cyborg had handed him a Dead Man's rail gun....

:lol:
That's great!
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
75 GM Geek Points
SkyeFyre
Hero

KROUTCB wrote:Great example of not thinking. PC CS weapons engineer gets his hands on a xiticix blaster. Engineer has no familiarity with the alien weapon and wants to test its function. PC says and I quote,"I want to look down the barrel and try to work the trigger." Now I hate killing PC's, and I offered advice that hinted he should check for a magazine or e-clip, but he persisted. "I want to see how the trigger mechanism works!"
Oh yeah, almost forgot, he also removed his helmet to see better. He got a real good microsecond view of a sonic blast. His 5 companions ran out of the back of the van picking brains off their armor.

:lol: :lol:

I would like to doubly nominate this one.
75 GM Geek Points
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

My tale is that of the runaway CS juicer known as Speedy. Poor speedy was a first level character that made the mistake of not replacing his armor when he had the chance. He was ripped apart by Russian demons at the behest of the elven necromancer they worked for. So of course, his friends decided to give their fallen comrade a hero's burial...well, sort of. The standard juicer and bionic super spy had heard tales of there being a bomb implanted in the brains of CS juicers. Their first thought...free hand grenade!! :idea: :shock: :? The super spy tried to use basic electronics to rig up a walkie talkie to the implant...something like a 97 on the percentile said otherwise. :-x -doh! So the spy jams the wires into the device, causing it to detonate and deal something like four sdc. Not only were they cleaning the remains of Speedy's grey matter off of their face plates, they were also cleaning their dinners out of the inside of their helmets. :fl: :erm: Later they found out that their poor friend could have been resurrected had his body been intact. :quiet: With friends like those, who needs enemies? :lol: Alas poor Speedy, we knew him not. :angel:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

I've got two guys.
The first was an adolescent dragon who was part of a group that got ambushed by a bunch of Glitterboys in a forest at night. While the group tried to slug it out, the dragon character decided to run back to the vehicle the group came in on and get some rocket launchers. Good idea, except that he didn't tell anybody where he was going or remember that the vehicle was a mile away. When he teleported back a round or two later, the group was understandably quite pissed at him. As he came bumbling back through the forest, some of the members took a potshot at him. Which hit the rocket launchers. And blew them and him up. He was pissed, the group was satisfied.

The second one was a super-powered Techno-Knight that I ran. Instead of magic, he had the super powers of flight, forcefields, super PE, and energy throwing, all powered by his ability to absorb all forms of energy for nurishment. He was extremely fearless and rather foolhardy. One battle he decided to face down a Mystic Knight, alone, forgetting that Mystic Knights have magic casting ability. The Mystic Knight cast Agony on him and put him down for the count. The MK then walked up to him and unloaded a pulse rifle into my character, several times. After burning away my armor, said laser pulses started powering up my character. The problem was, because my character was unconcious, he had no way of releasing the excess energy, which caused him to overload, zapping the Mystic Knight. The MK, thinking I'm still concious, casts Agony again and unloaded a second clip on my character. Causing another overload and zapping him again. MK gets pissed and decides to use an energy sword on me, once again causing another overload, and zapping himself. At that point, the MK casts Agony on me a third time and walks away. Other spectacular stunts this character tried that didn't work out right include trying to go toe to toe with a CS Abolisher (didn't work), flying through a forest at night (and getting ambushed by a CS platoon), and jumping into a dimensional hole (which has been mentioned elsewhere). Jumping into the hole brought something back that had to be exorcised from him by the group. A process that involved them performing open-heart surgery on my character with no anesthia, a very sharp knife (since laser scapels, psi-swords, vibro-knives, etc. would have been drained), and a fork. A successful system shock roll, 2 weeks of recovery, and an insanity later, my character found out that the exorcism was not a success. By mutual agreement, he was retired since I had no idea how to end the curse permanently, the group didn't feel like trying again, and the GM really didn't want to deal with what the character would become when the possession was complete.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

My two best...

Unread post by Subjugator »

First: I had a character that was a custom job MD Juicer with SDC strength (he had 78 MD and could not wear armor...this was prior to the Juicer Uprising).

Anyway, he had been a slave to a bunch of gargoyles, and excepting the gargoyle who had saved him from slavery (a PC in the group) would attack gargoyles on sight.

Apparently one of our group had forgotten that little trait of his, and was in negotiations with a gargoyle LORD when I happened to walk in on the G. Lord sitting in my apartment (the other PC had stepped out for a minute).

My words: I attack immediately.

My GM goes slack jawed - the gargoyle that was with me immediately realized what was happening. In the ensuing battle, he had his...*ahem*...torn off in an attempt to get me to stop. Didn't work...pissed him off...scratch one burster (face was literally mashed in).

Ultimately, the G. Lord died, but I was no longer able to reproduce.

Second one:

I was playing an evil (but kinda friendly, in a sick sort of way) dragon (as GM) and was leading several PCs around Atlantis. Well, at one point there was a problem with a shop keeper and he started yelling for the watch. The one human in the party got scared and started panicing. Being the generous soul I was, I (the dragon) offered to let him hide in my mouth.

The absolute fool accepted the offer.

*gulp*

Problem solved! The shop keeper was gratified that I ate the impertinent human.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Randomfist
Explorer

Unread post by Randomfist »

I have two

First one: I'm a juicer and my party gets in trouble with the CS because we have been causing so much trouble in the burbs. They finally track us down and notice a routine that our party was doing everyday so they set a trap. We basically walk into a building we've been going into on a regular basis and upon entering notice that the hall is sealed off and then a door slams behind us. The CS wants us alive so they start to pump a knock out gas into our enclosure. Because of my high saving throws as a juicer, I'm the only still awake after a minute. I start to taunt whoever trapped me telling them thay are a bunch of wimps and asking them if that's all they they got? Suddenly both ends of the hall open up and a lot of dog boys and CS grunts armed with nural maces walk in. I might be a juicer but there was like 12 of them and I didn't have any armor on. I tried to fight but they proceded to beat me unconsious and because I ticked them off so bad, to death.

Second one: My party has been captured by a group of supernatural creatures and we were brought to their slave camp in the middle of nowhere. We were shocked to see that they had about 500 prisoners of all types already there. After we were there for a while we start to talk to some of the NPC's and find out they are planning a jail break. They have mapped out the whole camp and have managed to get their hands on a couple of smuggled in M.D. blasters. The big night of the escape comes and part of the route we have to take goes right through a giant underground septic system used by the whole camp. Luckily there is scaffolding over the thousands of gallons of human and D-bee waste so we cross no problem. Another party member does something stupid to alert our captors of the great escape and alarms go off everywhere. Since I was pretty good with a blaster I was handed one and told to hold them off for as long as I can. I backtrack to the septic system to make my stand. Just as our captors approach the other side of the scaffolding in the septic system I get a brilliant idea. "Methane gas + my energy pistol= one heck of a diversion!" The rest of my party got away but needless to say there was a nice sized crater where I and the septic tank used to be. Death by POO!!!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Technically, in order to prevent horrible self inflicted wounds, the grenade wouldn't arm until it traveled a few metres . . . still blow off the juicer's hand on it's way though.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Stop me if you herd this be for, 2 nightbane a neo-human and a battle magus decided to go through Coalition territory, In stead of going around. They see 1 large helicopter and a super sam, 2 smiling jack, 4 to 5 rocket cycles and a sky-lifter about a mile away. The Battle magus shouts find cover and runs back to the woodline. The 2 nightbane call him a wimp and change forms (one stand 10 feet tall). The neo- human says when the get close enough well tear them apart. And i quote "it only the coalition" . They were dead before the aircraft got with in 6000 ft. It was a lonely walk for the Battle magus.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

PC: "I pull the red wire"
GM: boom, you're dead
PC: "bloody stupid colour blindness"

I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Jefffar wrote:Technically, in order to prevent horrible self inflicted wounds, the grenade wouldn't arm until it traveled a few metres . . . still blow off the juicer's hand on it's way though.

That's assuming they work like today's rifle launched grenades. :P
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'm asuming that Rifts era weapons designers don't want to turn their clients into hamburger before they can sell them more weapons.

Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

I see a lot of stories in here where the player wasn't really at fault. :-?
SkyeFyre
Hero

I've also noticed this.
75 GM Geek Points
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Sounds like they don't like giants in their party...
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
gelidus
Explorer

Unread post by gelidus »

Was playing as a mega juicer the GM said you hear a loud shout in your ear. So I turned around and punched at it. Hit a layline walker in the head for about 30 mdc. The other player was not happy for some reason....Go figure
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Rolling Bear wrote:needless to say he didn't last very long, after the game we asked him what he was thinking and showed him the blind warrior womans stats in the atlantis book and his reply was, OHHHHH these blind warrior woman I thought it was just some blind lady.

Blind justice anyone?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Rolling Bear wrote:needless to say he didn't last very long, after the game we asked him what he was thinking and showed him the blind warrior womans stats in the atlantis book and his reply was, OHHHHH these blind warrior woman I thought it was just some blind lady.

I'm kind of curious why the player's first instinct was to kill her.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
MikePGS
D-Bee

Unread post by MikePGS »

This is a secondhand story, that never fails to amuse me. A group of my friends were playing, one a CS type (Not quite sure what) and the other two i'm not sure what they were... anyways, they were investigating some mysterious killings i believe, when they tracked down some of the killers to a small wooden shack... one of the party members sneaks around to the back of the SDC shack, looks in and sure enough sees all kinds of awfullness happens, and radios such information to his companions... they go around to the front of the shack and one of them opens the door. They roll initiative. The CS type (Or maybe he was a bounty hunter... regardless) wins initiative, SHOVES the guy who opened the door out of the way yells "Die Mother ----- DIE!" and shoots a volley of grenades into the small wodden shack, killing the bad guys, the guy in the back peeking in, and almost doing himself in to... i may be a bit sketchy on the details, but regardless i think it is one of the most amusing RPG things i've ever heard of...later
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I was GM a rifts game when I found out one of the players in the group just started dating my sister.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Unread post by Guest »

Had my character "killed" by a Dragon Mage. Only after I went home did I realize that i did the math wrong, and indeed still had some damage to be taken away. When I told the group, the PC's had already raided my equipment, weapons, and items, and left my unconcious body in a storage area of a stolen APC that they sold to a local merc group. Go figure.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:A gunslinger I know of challenged a demonic woman to a full contact spar even after the demonic girl said "no, I don't want to hurt you." Said gunslinger went down in four attacks. :P

but she's still capable or reproducing :P

Yes, as she and another gunslinger have now shown. :eek:

see. not a darwin award canadate :P

by the way folks, it's been a bit over 3 months. sometime over the next couple of days i'll select that 4 semifinalists and start a new thread with those ones as poll options, so read up

Drakenred®™©
Champion

LurkerFreak wrote:The dumbest action resulting in death I have seeen would have to from a CK. After the party having peformed several favours for a dragon, he was presented with a soul-drinker rune sword. His responce:
"Ah hah, a quest to destroy this accursed weapon of cowards and assassins".
Not a happy dragon, or sword.

aparently either the GM or the Dragon was an idiot

Soul Drinking weapons have a reputation for being Evil

and unless you ment Chaos Knight, I will assume you ment either Cosmic Knight or Cyber knight, either way they tend to think of themselves as modern paladins
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Ahh

One of Odd things that we have come up with was a Staff with Life traping ability, Basicaly it traped anyone who suffed a "deathblow" from the weapon in stasis if their was space to contain them. It made bounty hunting a bit easyer if a bit trickyer
冠双
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

In a game I ran the party attacks a small CS outpost and after killing or destroying most of the defenders all thats left keeping them from finishing the job is a lone gun post manned by 3 CS grunts armed with a CR-1 and machinegun style C-40R. The players cant seem to hit even the bunker they are in and the grunts are tearing the PCs a new one as both the railgun and the missile launcher rolled Natural 20's to hit the Samson PA and knocked out the pilot, well the juicer decides to grab a class 3 fusion block from the (now) deceased Headhunter next to him turn it on and start running towards the bunker (juicer does NOT have demo skill and isnt aware that the block has only a thirty second timer when not actually set), and as GM I informed him that the timer only reads.."I dont look I just run" is his response cutting me off from finishing my sentence (he did it alot). :frust:

Well the bunker is about 1000' feet away and he only has a speed of 30something plus the railgun hits him once knocking him off his feet (40 M.D. leaving him with only 5 left) he loses an action and the spends the rest of that melee round undercover before trying again to reach the bunker, he's only gotten about 200 feet at this point.

I try to again tell him about the timer and again he cuts me off saying he cant read so why pay attention to it. :x
Next round starts and he runs right out in front of the guns again this time managing to dodge or get missed as he approaches the bunker.
Next round *BOOM* the fusion block goes off and inflicts about 200M.D. the player yells bulls*@^ and throws a tantrum like a spoiled 2 year old.
He even tried to steal my RMB when he stormed out. :x :frust: :badbad: :thwak:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.

Return to “Rifts®”