Need an idea for Uber-Villains army/minions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Need an idea for Uber-Villains army/minions

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

OK, the group Im running right now is all around level 6ish..

*Minotaur Mercenary- big DUMB grunt
*Lizard Mage Wizard- greedy, self centered- the usual Lizard Mage
*Elf Assassin- typical
*Dwarf Blacksmith- probably the best fighter in the group
**POSSIBLY (if they get to save him, and bring him back) another elf assassin. An IDIOT who overthinks EVERY situation, and ends up doing BAD BAD things (as far as the group is concerned)

Now, as you can probably tell from the races/classes, this is NOT a 'hero' group. FAAAAR from. Currently, on their hit list-

*A level 2 kobold mercenary (who they just cant seem to kill. GREAT dice rolls!!)
*The monster (from Wolfen Empire/AitNW) that the sword transforms a person into (this is that second elf assassin)
*An OLD earth warlock who just won't die (never fleshed him out, never needed to, until now)

The group has a decent amount of money/items, for a few reasons- #1 being that we didnt have much time to play (ever try getting time to roleplay in a combat zone? It aint easy!!), so I had to cut out a lot of the small stuff that I would normally use to whittle a group down. I also, again, due to where we were, wasn't paying 100% attention to everything, for which I blame myself. Environment is an excuse (albeit, a good one), but, still my fault. They WILL be losing a lot of their valuables before the final showdown.

I don't know how many of you have read any of my postings on the Elemental Orbs, but, that's what these guys are after. Basically, there is an Elemental stone for each of the 4 elements, all really powerful, but, supposedly near-unstoppable if all 4 are gotten. They have 2, fire and earth (earth one was stolen from the OLD warlock that is their enemy <can we say BAD BAD idea???>). They are on their way after the Air stone, which is on the Isle of the Cyclops. Water is in the possession of the Monster from WE/AitNW.

Obviously, they are going to have to face the creature, to get the water stone. And it's just too powerful of a being for them to leave out there roaming around, even if it DIDNT have the stone. It's a rival for their goal of world conquest.

I plan on allying the old warlock with it, and I plan on putting the kobold in their as well (bumping him up a few levels, this time).

But, my brain has stopped working with me on fleshing out the rest of the massive army this thing has had time to put together (by the time they get to it, it will have been at LEAST 2 years). I figured it would definately have some coyles and wolfen, some dwarves, possibly some humans, and some of the monster races.

Now, I overestimated the group once before (mainly because I had underestimated them too many times!!), so, I need help on a few things-
#1=making the army SEEM unbeatable.
#2=making the army beatable.
#3=thinking what kind of bodyguards and elite units would be put into place.

Any suggestions?
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

ummm, tons.

one thing I used on my group once was a "witch hunt" - except it was the group being hunted by the witches. There were ten of them all with different pacts - most chose the gift of power. The witches were hired by the main villan to kill the PCs but mostly encountered 1 or 2 at a time.

A deamon Blackship is a nice run in as well, scar the pants off them.

have a group of heros learn what they are doing and come after them.

an army I currently have in my campaign is the cattle skull tribe (a tatto of a cattle skull is on their arm). it is mostly composed of trolls, but there are ogres. orcs an goblins do the grunt work. a giant or two is also tied in there.

giants for my group is (or was) a bad thing. the mage/ fire warlock had a flying carpet, he flew above the giant. Appearing to fly away and cast invisible on himeself. The giant turned his attention to the rest of the group. the mage flew over top the giant and cast increase weight upon himself, then jumped off the carpet with sword drawn....... splat went the giant.

Nothin says lovin like a theives guild that wants what the PCs have - especially ones that never give up.

thats all for now
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
The Plague
D-Bee

Unread post by The Plague »

I was gonna sugest witches, but that is already being done. A dragon would be a good choice aswell. Maybe let a mind mage or a thief just steal one of their orbs for a dragon. Bringing the stolen orb to the LOD is always nice. Even getting there is a good chance to die.

And what were you thinking when a PC proposed a Lizard mage :shock:

Aren't those guys armed with 1000+ PPE or something?
The Plague
- Professional Palladium Fantasy Board lurker -
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

An ancient Scarecrow. Those make AWSOME uber villians.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

The Plague wrote:And what were you thinking when a PC proposed a Lizard mage :shock:

Aren't those guys armed with 1000+ PPE or something?

*shrug* And magic and psi (a decent amount of psi!), and insane stats (most stats are a minimum of 20). What's your point?

In some campaigns I run, yes, I restrict to the 'standard' or 'not so alien' races, but, in this one, I gave them free reign. Heck, I ENCOURAGED going 'out there', simply because I knew it was going to be REALLY high power REALLY quick, and I wanted the PCs to have a fighting chance. I tried to get one of the players to play a DRAGON for cripe's sake! (It would have been a hatchling, yes!).

Of course, having a Lizard Mage works really well.. he keeps trying to look at the group as minions, and it helps keep internal strife going 8-)

Oh, I forgot one of the group members, and Im SOO ashamed about that.

We have a ferret, which, at one point, had been familiar linked to the assassin (the one thats still going). The Assassin got killed, and I ruled that the link was broken at that point. Suprisingly, the ferret didnt die from the shock, and, at that point, we had a guy who had been watching (never RP'ed before) saying he wanted to play the ferret. So, we let him. Shortly after that, the characters earned (sort of) a boon from Thoth... who decided that the ferret deserved opposable thumbs, sentience, and the ability to talk. And talk he does..
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

A talking Ferret...well it wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a familiar outlive it master :-)
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Judas wrote:A talking Ferret...well it wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a familiar outlive it master :-)

oh, he talks.. and talks.. and talks.. and talks... the group is still trying to figure out how to get him to shut up. The best they can do is that the wizard casts a carpet of adhesion directly on the inside of the ferret's mouth...
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
Judas wrote:A talking Ferret...well it wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a familiar outlive it master :-)

oh, he talks.. and talks.. and talks.. and talks... the group is still trying to figure out how to get him to shut up. The best they can do is that the wizard casts a carpet of adhesion directly on the inside of the ferret's mouth...

Try feeding him gum...
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Maybe you should start dropping hints on the value to summoners of a Ferret tongue, that will soon make him keep quiet :lol:
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
--Faraday's Law# 99

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:We have a ferret, which, at one point, had been familiar linked to the assassin (the one thats still going). The Assassin got killed, and I ruled that the link was broken at that point. Suprisingly, the ferret didnt die from the shock, and, at that point, we had a guy who had been watching (never RP'ed before) saying he wanted to play the ferret. So, we let him. Shortly after that, the characters earned (sort of) a boon from Thoth... who decided that the ferret deserved opposable thumbs, sentience, and the ability to talk. And talk he does..

Actually, something simular to this just happened in a book I read recently by Robin Hobb... an evil king has the human in a human/weasel pair killed, and the weasel lives on and starts trying to hunt down and kill this king.
It was a minor plot point, but a neat on (and the weasel never mutated...)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Need an idea for Uber-Villains army/minions

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Goliath Strongarm wrote: the Monster from WE/AitNW.

The what from who?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote: the Monster from WE/AitNW.

The what from who?

WE = Wolven Empire or Western Empire, Id put my money on it being Wolven Empire

AitNW = Adventures in the Northern Wilderness

duh :-P

the creature is a badass. Necrom is his name and the adventure is on page 19, the sword of Necrom is on pg 29. that was a good adventure, someone always picks up that sword and turns....
- the Book

UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

OK, the group Im running right now is all around level 6ish..

*Minotaur Mercenary- big DUMB grunt
*Lizard Mage Wizard- greedy, self centered- the usual Lizard Mage
*Elf Assassin- typical
*Dwarf Blacksmith- probably the best fighter in the group
**POSSIBLY (if they get to save him, and bring him back) another elf assassin. An IDIOT who overthinks EVERY situation, and ends up doing BAD BAD things (as far as the group is concerned)

Hmm no humans.. OK we'll start with just exaxtly why some humans would want these guys dead..

Well minotaurs are well known to be servants of the demonic and the Old Ones in particular so thats basicly reason enough for nearly every Priest, palladin, holy crusader, and warrior monk to want his head. (Well provided that they aren't also worsipers of the Old Ones as well.)

Lizard mages have a rep for being powerhungry, greedy, and generally dangerous to humans all around.

THe real catch is the elf assassin and the dwarf who are hanging out together. Why? Des the elf wield a dwarf weapon? I woud just start a rumor that evil monsters in the area are attempting to relearn forbidden magics like rune smithing. (A logical conclusion afterall.. Elves knew many forms of magic, dwarves were great runesmiths, with the lizard mage and the minotaur it just puts such a negative light on things.

If they aren't trying to relearn the lost art of rune smithing then tthey must be out to raise the Old Ones from their4 slumber. Why else would they keep company with a minotaur.

Myself I would send some heros from the Church of Light and Dark out to put them down. Here are the numbers I would use just to give them a challange..

*Initial encounter*

Scout party (All levels 2-6)
1 Mage (Wizard)
2 Warrior Monks
3 Soilders
1 Priest

Make sure at least one of them escapes or that a magic pidgeon gets sent.. Alternately all gods know what their followers know and thus if they are slain by the group have Ra or whomever the priest worships as a patron god/goddess appear in a vision to another member of the church and thus allow the church to continue hunting them down..

*Hunting Party*
(All shold be equal or of greater levels then the current party members)
Lead by a Holy Crusader (Yin Sloth) This enemy shold be at least 10-13 level and should be equiped with a grater Holy Weapon. (HIs/Her reputation should be so well known that they are considered to be living saint.)

2-3 Ramen One of which should be a mage.

2 Knights with squires

and 2 priests of light or dark.

In the event that they actually need to raise an army the living saint shold have no problem with that..

Now, I overestimated the group once before (mainly because I had underestimated them too many times!!), so, I need help on a few things-
#1=making the army SEEM unbeatable.
#2=making the army beatable.
#3=thinking what kind of bodyguards and elite units would be put into place.

1. The fact that a living saint is with the army lends TONS of support to the morale of the troops.

2. If such a saint person were to be killed.... Well it's the whole issue of faith vs the guy who just tore the leader to shreds.

3. See above

Hope that helps
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

You guys are missing the point.. I aint needing help on ENCOUNTERS (got those nice and primed). Im talking the final big showdown, PCs vs Army of Destruction, (PC) Villians vs Ungodly Villians! Im just looking for those last ditch minions and hordes that will be right there when the PCs go for the showdown.

Once the PCs FIND where Necrom The Undying (thanks, btw, to Entiago, I dont have my books with me, and couldn't remember its name) is at, what do you guys think they should have to fight through to get to him. What do you think he'll have as minions/cannon fodder RIGHT THERE?
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:You guys are missing the point.. I aint needing help on ENCOUNTERS (got those nice and primed). Im talking the final big showdown, PCs vs Army of Destruction, (PC) Villians vs Ungodly Villians! Im just looking for those last ditch minions and hordes that will be right there when the PCs go for the showdown.

Once the PCs FIND where Necrom The Undying (thanks, btw, to Entiago, I dont have my books with me, and couldn't remember its name) is at, what do you guys think they should have to fight through to get to him. What do you think he'll have as minions/cannon fodder RIGHT THERE?

Have two swords there :demon: . Necrom is only one and it says that there where more made, what better way to say hi to the player party than having Necrom the Undying and his date Lycanthus the Ever-living.

If that doesn't make them wet themselves, nothing will!
--Faraday's Law# 99

Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

So, the second elven assassin has Necrom?

well for the final showdown I would say your typical monster races on the outer parimeters. then if a real big army, use undead form LOD2. After all this is Necrom the Undying here. A powerful deamon, hell he could even have "side partners" that want to help him. One being a summoner and he summons up angles. Just Kidding, deamons of course, maybe some deevils or even elementals. Oh and a shadow mage and a necromancer could be in there also to boost power.

mmmm undead.
- the Book

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”