14 attacks with a outrider at 1st level and +30 autododge?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

I need to find that one I drew up that had 16 attacks with +7 to hit +9 to parry and +28 to auto dodge but yes you can make some realy insain monsters with the system.
冠双
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Unless Ive missed something somewhere, or your GM is house-ruling so they do, normal dodge bonuses dont apply to autododge and PP only adds to regular dodges so no +30 autododge. As for 14 attacks per round, yes it's very possible in Splicers but the.... drawbacks anywhere else in the Megaverse are fairly fatal. Given what you listed, I'm only seeing 7 autododge (bio-radar in Splicers doesn't carry an autododge bonus).

If you're playing on the Splicers world, count on needing every bit of what the GM is willing to give you because the machines have all the advantages. If you're being Rifted off planet, just remember metal is a deathwish and most places can't upgrade or repair your armor, much less your Behemoth.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

:shock:

I was pretty impressed when I rolled up my Biotic, but what you have there is simply mind blowing!

Seeing something like that really makes me wish that Kevin hadn't edited downward how powerful the machines are from Carmen's original levels.
demos606
Hero

The machines are still plenty powerful given the virtually unlimited numbers they can send into combat.

the way i got +30 is i gave the mount and the host armor those 3 bio enhancements so they stacked wouldnt they

I'd have to say the better bonus gets used for mounted outriders... knowing its coming twice doesn't give you any better a chance of getting out of its way. I also have a *really* hard time believing serpentine body for a behemoth. Presuming your GM allows the bonuses to stack AND serpentine body for the behemoth(I wouldn't allow either but thats me) you can manage +30 auto if you never have to move more than 30 mph or face 30+ mph winds. I would also have to rule the riders PP bonus is nullified while strapped into the harness of the behemoth and limit the pair to the behemoths (unimpressive for autododge) 1d8+6 PP unless the rider is a called shot target.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

demos606 wrote:The machines are still plenty powerful given the virtually unlimited numbers they can send into combat.

With combat in the Palladium ruleset already having a penchant for running long, I'd much rather that the machines were more powerful than have to rely on numbers to be a threat.

More (but weaker) machines = more combat rolls = more time spent resolving combat = less time for role-playing. :(
demos606
Hero

So have the machines attack in groups roughly the same size as your party. Properly played, you end up with a dead party unless your dice hate you or you don't use anything with ranged weapons. Most bots can attack from much farther away than your players can see them and can easily outrun most characters (scarecrows and archangels being noted probable exceptions).
demos606
Hero

Well damn, I *did* miss the note in the autododge description that PP bonuses are added to autododge (found it looking for something else sadly enough) so I guess they do get added in. I still have major with serpentine body on a Behemoth, stacking the bonuses and minor issues with allowing the riders PP bonus rather than the Behemoth for autododge (Behemoth are lumbering creatures).

BTW, that description is on p210.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

How I run Outriders in my games

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Unless I'm missing something in your character or the rules (very likely), I don't think the War Mount's stand alone bonuses count when its being ridden.

In each Mount's individual description, it states that the combat bonuses are used "when the War Mount is without a rider".

Based on this, for my games, when the War Mount is being "piloted", the only bonuses came from the War Mount Skill (+1 attack, +1 strike/parry, etc.) and the Personal War Mount Bonus described in the OCC (+1 attack, +2 initiative, etc.) if applicable.

This still gives the Outrider a considerable advantage, however, from a tactical point of view, the Rider and Mount are going to be the primary targets in most battles.
demos606
Hero

Thing is, even with allowing the combined bonuses, it's still not enough to tip the balance of power in the players favor. You can pretty much assume *any* encounter with robot patrols is a win fast or die situation because reinforcements are only a signal away and can close on your position at mach 3. Retreat is just not a viable option in Splicers because there's too much risk involved if the machines start finding the human havens.

Standard robot patrol in my campagn is anywhere from 12 to 30 machines depending on the mixture (less flyers, more ground-pounders) and my players have yet to come away with less than debilitating damage from even minor engagements. First adventure saw our Grendle run into an ambush and nearly die, falconeer and behemoth got nailed by 3 or 4 rat bombs to disable the behemoth when the falcons were sent to investigate the grendle, scarecrow got beat on by a couple abominations and had to regenerate - and the other GM was being nice because it was our first time out.

Return to “Splicers®”