So how do you guys rank palladium fantasy?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

So how do you guys rank palladium fantasy?

Unread post by Larsen »

I've never played palladium fantasy and I was just wondering how much you guys liked/disliked it. What is your favorite thing about?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson

Unread post by Guest »

I'd have to rank it pretty low myself. While it's a somewhat different world-setting than your typical fantasy fare, it's still got enough similiarities that the new stuff doesn't really offset the standard fantasy conventions.

As for the game itself, the setting is seriously lacking in basic items and the game mechanics need to be cleaned up.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I like the setting, and I find it allows me to make out of it what I need. I can use the races as I choose, and avoid others entirely. The mechanics of the system are no more problematic than any other, but it is a nice change of pace from the super-powered HUII or the high-powered Rifts.
It seemed to me at least, that this is one of Kev Sims' better loved projects.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

It is the best game in the system. There really are no bugs in it. I am a bigger fan of the 1st ed rules than the second, but what can ya do, no new material for first. I would say out of all the Palladium games this is pretty much kept on level with every new book in the genre of fantasy. The biggest issue this...I thought it was hard to get new material for 1st ed, it is not much easier to get new material for 2nd ed.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

:ok: I likes this fantasy system the best.

The only problem I see is that more source material is needed to fully flesh out the Palladium world.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Echoing Janus, I'd rank 1st ed. Palladium Fantasy among the best games that the company has produced. 2nd ed., however, is really only saved from mediocrity by the work of Bill Coffin. His material is, on the whole, quite excellent, though it is primarily setting-related and doesn't do anything for the lackluster ruleset.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I love PF. I enjoy it far more than any of the other systems produced by Palladium, and consider it superior to other non-PB stuff I've seen/tried. The world is unique, and the stuff in all the various books can easily be incorporated together in a single gameworld without any glaring unbalancing aspects.

That balance is a big part of it too... PF has remained nearly free of power-creep, especially if you're a 1e player. A character created out of the most recent book will be no better than a character created with the first book, they'll just be new and different.

The only problem I have with PF is that it doesn't get the support of RIFTS, cause RIFTS pays the bills. Several PF products which have been being adveratised as "Coming Soon" for 7 or 8 years are still "Coming Soon." That aside, I couldn't be happier (unless they had never gone to 2e, but oh well).
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

I like it. The thing about Palladium Fantasy it is very oldschool. What I mean by that it is not a modern setting (like for example Rifts). I like the age of Elves and Dwarves and such. It's a great game.
The Phoenix is Coming!
highpriestrsw2
Explorer

Unread post by highpriestrsw2 »

I personally love PFRPG and rank it second only to Dungeons and Dragons(only because I started out playing D&D and I personally know Gary Gygax)but story wise I rate it #1! I think the world of PFRPG is very vivid and detailed. Most other rpgs give you a world and only go in depth into it through a bunch of novels written by other people-not the people who made the rpg world in the first place. Due to the lack of novels and tie-in crap that palladium has conviently left out the story of palladium world has only one way to grow-through the authors who created and helped expand it. The ecology of palladium world has also been better thought out than most other rpgs because they are not trying to pawn off on the players a bunch of new books every month or so and because of that you won't be seeing the "new" monsters from the new books thrown in the next book all haphazard-like just to force people to buy the monster book they're in. You also won't see one piece of material in print that hasn't seen its way onto Kevin's desk...they don't have 50 writers that do nothing but develop things for the rpg, edit it themselves(or someone who wan't in on the rpg from the get-go)so they won't constantly throw things out at the public(like new non-playtested OCCs or new monsters that completely blow large well leveled PCs out of the water put out in a product for low level PCs)like certain other companies using certain "open lisenced"systems do. Also it's ONLY Palladium and the Palladium staff making these products so there's no need to worry about: "oh no! company XYZ just got ahold of the PFRPG lisence and I know they're gonna screw up the "Product X" books that I've been waiting years to see because they screwed up companyABC's "Product O" books when they got that lisence!" because no matter how big Palladium books gets Kevin and the rest of the staff will NEVER let other companies make crappy knockoff wanna be cannon material for PFRPG and if a company ever gets the rights to do lisenced stuff for PFRPG Kevin(I'm sure)will make sure personally that either the material coming out totally rocks and stays true to the PFRPG spirit and story or there will be no such lisence!
" Forward Clucky! To battle!"
-MrGiggles
The Plague
D-Bee

Unread post by The Plague »

I always have a love/hate relationship with PFRPG.

I do however think that there are better and more balanced RPGs around.

I like the flexibility some OCCs give, though allot of em are simply not needed.

PPE system is nice when useing the PPE channeling rules and you don't use lvl 9+ spells, which are to costy and don't do much.

PSI system is nice, though mind mage/god is overpowered compared to the rest of the PPCs and every OCC in general.

Armor is louzy and rune weapons are items to sell A.S.A.P. for some magical weapon and a kingdom.

Totaly I put Gurps on #1 with AD&D/D&D3.5/d20 as close 2nd and Palladium a nice #3.
The Plague
- Professional Palladium Fantasy Board lurker -
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Its the only game I play. I'm done with rifts, and if I want to play a superheroes setting I am going to play champions.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
highpriestrsw2
Explorer

Unread post by highpriestrsw2 »

I've already posted on this topic and I'm sure everybody's sick of my rants but my one gripe about PFRPG is the fact that armor is almost useless and that there are no cover rules. I've found a site that helps out with these headaches though...

http://www.monkey-bars.net/apfrpg_main.htm

Yeah, I know it's on the palladium site under the PFRPG webring but the rules are so helpful that I couldn't help but mention them here.
" Forward Clucky! To battle!"
-MrGiggles

Unread post by Guest »

I don't know yet, because I've never had the book.

But my girlfriend turns out to be a Fantasy fan...

So I will have a review sometime this week.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”