Discussion: Martial Skills

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Discussion: Martial Skills

Unread post by Mantisking »

A few of the martial arts styles (Ch'in Na and Ninjutsu for example) can select a "Martial Art Skill" as a Level Advancement Bonus. But there is nothing in the book to explain what they are. So, as a point of discussion I'm soliciting your opinions.

My take? All Ancient Weapon Proficiencies, all Temple Skills, all Cultural Skills, and all Physical Skills fall under the "Martial Art Skill" heading.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Unread post by Guest »

doesn't that mean like, a martial art power?

or is that just being wishful?

does ninjutsu really need more skills?
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

Sounds like it might be a holdover from pre-revised N&S. Anyone have a copy of the old book?
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Dork Vader.
Doesn't that mean like, a martial art power?
Yes, it's really a typo.

Originally posted by Slag.
Sounds like it might be a holdover from pre-revised N&S. Anyone have a copy of the old book?
It's in the Un-Revised edition as well.

Originally posted by pulphero.
Chi'na gets 1 additonal power at 4-8-&-12.
Check level 8 again. :)

Okay, ignoring the fact that it's really a typo, what skills do you think would fit in the "Martial Art Skill" category?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"

Unread post by Guest »

Actually, several of the martial art power categories refer to them as "Martial art Skills". I used to have the complete list for these somewhere, but I don't remember where it is now.
Mantisking
Hero

Let's try this again.

Okay, ignoring the fact that it's really a typo, what skills do you think would fit in the "Martial Art Skill" category?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Anything that would be of benefit to the martial artist...this could be flower arranging or meditation for building of patience, to boxing or wrestling to build-up his combat abilities. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Unread post by Guest »

Mantisking wrote:Let's try this again.

*sigh* I should have known better than to ignore my own FAQ.

22. Question: 1) What does it mean in the level advancement charts (ch'in-na at level 8, for example) when it says "choose one martial art skill?" Is it supposed to mean "choose one martial art technique?" or "choose one martial arts power from any category?" or does it mean that one should choose another skill from the same category as those listed for the martial art (i.e. cultural, physical, w.p., etc.)?
2) So, would one choose a power from any of those four categories, or just from whichever of the four is made available at other levels in that same martial arts form?
Answer: 1) "Martial Art Skill" is a poorly defined term meaning certain Martial Art Powers that can be selected by a particular style. The only clearly labeled Martial Art Powers that are Martial Art Skills would be the Atemi Abilities, Body Hardening Exercises, Martial Art Techniques, and Chi Mastery (each of these MAPs has the word skill, and in the case of BHE, the actual use of 'martial art skills' in the description of that type of martial art power.... the description of Martial Art Techniques also uses the term "martial art skills", but doesn't use them to specifically refer to Martial Art Techniques).
2) You just choose whichever martial art powers are available to that sytle.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Personally, I'd like to see a way the dedicated martial artist OCC could take boxing or wrestling.
I prefer the Education bonus/skill program system of N&SS to the OCC style of MC, but the DMA really gets the shaft here. Even if you apply the stereotype of a hermit/monk/whatever, Shaolin temple monks wopuld have more than 2 secondary skills at level one, outside of whatever skills your martial art may provide (if any).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Cool. Not stressin' over it, m'man.
I don't see how the DMA would be overbalanced with a few scholastic skills, compared to some of the OCCs available, but I suppose that could have been a >bogus< consideration. :lol:
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”