Lightlands

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Lightlands

Unread post by Zenvis »

I was playing Nightbane and I was reading the Guardians stuff and noticed that there was referance to a land that there was no book for, the lightlands. Any takers on what that place is like?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

In the book called Between the Shadows, it says the Lightlands are
rumored to be in region somewhere in the Astral Plane. The Guardians
get back and forth from it in Void Ships. That's about it. I wish someone
would develop this more. I've love to see a book called the Lightlands
so we could get more info on the Guardians and the Astral Plane.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

My idea of it is an astral kingdom within the Void (yet somehow immune to it) That would be roughly based on the Silver City envisioned in the Sandman stories. Except, of course, the inhabitants would be Guardians, with all the baggage that goes along with that.

In my version, the Guardians there, though ancient, would still be pretty clueless as to their actual origins, just as ancient Nightbane are of theirs.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The way I understand it is the Lightlands is on the "opposite" side of Earth from the Nightlands. All you'd need to do is find a way to manipulate the "mirror wall" the right way, and you'd end-up there...although the beings of light there probably would not appreciate the intrusion, and unless your alignment was scrupulous or principled, you're kinda screwed sunshine...
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Actually, that sort of is like teh "God" argument, and boils down to the same reasoning there. Free Will.

The reason they have not "jumped-in" (other than send heros) is a) the take-over of the earth by the "forces of evil" is not overt, and b) humans have to choose to help themselves.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Tyciol wrote:Of course whether or not they are the 'Lightlands', I'm pretty sure a place like this must exist. If the Lightlands were a good version of earth, they would have already jumped in ad destroyed the nightland invaders by now.

Imagine this perhaps the Nightlands is where the Nightlords have absolute dominance and Earth is the neutral territory and Lightlands would be a kindom were the Nightlords and their minions are a nucance but not prevelant. So the Lightlands has their own problems with keeping out the Nightlords just as bad as any other plane.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

This is what we know for Lightlands.
1. There is a domain in the Astral Plane controled by the Guardians (refer to Between the Shadows)
2. There are Elders among the Guardians
3. Origins of the Guardians are just as mysterious as the Nightbane

Anything I'm missing just add here.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Tyciol wrote:...The domain in the void idea makes a lot more sense, guardians could add their PPE to help reinforce the domain (it seems like something to do on their deathbeds, if they're dying of old age, give their souls back to the light). This means that they must have enlisted the help of an astral lord/mage or a Millek...
Not necessarily. At least, it was my understanding that the Astral Kingdoms were almost naturally occurring. Anyone else get that? But i do like that bit about the old or dieing giving up their PPE to build up the place, good idea! :ok:

[as a sort of related side note, can tarantuloids be OCCs that allow them to build domains?]

Also i was reading in BtS, though i can't give an exact page at the moment, but it mentions Guardians who pick up the power of Astral Transference... That's not possible, is it? Maybe an option for Elder Guardians only? I suppose the original idea was that the Guardians access the Astral Plane via Void Ships? (Contrary to what Jason was planning?)
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

acreRake wrote:as a sort of related side note, can tarantuloids be OCCs that allow them to build domains?

Strictly by the book, no. Unlike Rifts, Nightbane keeps the distinctions between an RCC and an OCC nice and neat, so Tarantuloids are restricted to the three racial classes in their description (warrior, craftsman, and sorcerer-priest).

One could however use the Nightbane Sorcerer and Nightbane Mystic as templates to create other special Race/OCC combos.

Also i was reading in BtS, though i can't give an exact page at the moment, but it mentions Guardians who pick up the power of Astral Transference... That's not possible, is it? Maybe an option for Elder Guardians only? I suppose the original idea was that the Guardians access the Astral Plane via Void Ships? (Contrary to what Jason was planning?)

Guardians gain access to all psionic categories, including master/super psionic powers, at level 4 (see page 113 of Between the Shadows).

Astral Transference is an available power at this point.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Jason Vey wrote:the Void Ship operators were in fact Elder Guardians from the Lightlands who were angry with how self-important the Lightbringers had become,.

Since when(in anywhere but your imaginations) did the Guardians become self-rightious pricks ?
In SoL you seem to have it in for any non Nocturne faction-but especially the Lightbringer( guardians) faction,why is that?
I mean no offence but( and I loved the strigoi!)
you seem determined to take a unique and cool class
and reduce them tp mere holiere than thou morons simply because they were the guys wearing the wore the white hats.
Or was is because theyopposed the vampires which means that you think they have jto oppose the nocturnes?
Idon't mean to wine but I really like the Guardiand and would like to know why you trashed them in your book ?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Jason...silly I admit, but assuming you didn't submit it to PB, could you post your Eden world somewhere? :D
Fnord

Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Jason Vey wrote:My take in it in what would've been my second book for the series was to be that the Void Ships were not in cahoots with the Guardians, and that the Guardians were in fact afraid of the Void Ships and their operators. However, the Void Ship operators were in fact Elder Guardians from the Lightlands who were angry with how self-important the Lightbringers had become, and often came to punish those Guardians who got too far out of hand.

It was more complicated than that, obviously, but that's the basic gist of it.

The Lightlands themselves were the polar opposite of the Nightlands--a mirror realm to the Earth where it was eternally daylight and eternally lush and green. In a word: Eden.

So where is the Lightlands book?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Borast wrote:The way I understand it is the Lightlands is on the "opposite" side of Earth from the Nightlands. All you'd need to do is find a way to manipulate the "mirror wall" the right way, and you'd end-up there...although the beings of light there probably would not appreciate the intrusion, and unless your alignment was scrupulous or principled, you're kinda screwed sunshine...

Nope you need a way to cross the ligthblub wall...(well you think of something better to call it) to cross over to the lightlands.

Yes I know that was totally innane post, so sue me.
:P
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Astroman wrote:So there you have it. The Guardians must be principled or scrupulous. There's no ambiguity about thier alignment and intensions.

Huh? where did that come from...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

I've always been under the impression that the Earth *was* the Lightlands. Ie, a bipolar universe (Earth/Nightlands) as opposed to a tripolar one (Lightlands/Earth/Nightlands). The supposed "Lightlands" the Guardians and/or Voidships come from haven't been substantiated. It also would seemingly diminish the significance of the balance between Earth & the Nightlands implied in TtGD - that is, the parallels between the two (Dopplegangers, Nemeses,. the Earth invasion of the Nightlands) seem to indicate that they're the polar opposites.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Astroman wrote:That the light of the Guardians burns anyone not of a good alignment. Regardless, what's important is the intent of the original writer, Carella. Not what someone decided to do to his work.

Hmm, I can agree with the second part of that, but I don't know about the first. Although it would be interesting:

Guardian's Player:"I'll just take out that knocked out villian, so he can't come back and get revenge latter..."
GM:"the light that feeds you your powers burns away that thought and make you heal his lethal injuries instead!"
Guardian's Player:"hey, why'd that happen"
GM:"guardians can't be evil"
Player:"darn morals"
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Nightbane®”