Jump/Leap Rules

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Jump/Leap Rules

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I've never seen any jumping rules in Nightbane. As far as I know, only the Rifts Main Book (12th printing an higher), Heroes Unlimited GM's guide, and After the Bomb 2e have basic jumping rules, and the rules are different in all three books.
Last edited by Tinker Dragoon on Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Cardiac
Adventurer

Re: Jump/Leap Rules

Unread post by Cardiac »

I've seen the Baron von Clogg use this handy little formula;

My rule of thumb has been that a character can vertically jump a height (in feet) equal to his max lifting weight divided by his bodyweight. Superstrong, ultra-light, and you could jump really dang high.... I usually let people jump horizontally about twice their vertical (and fall safely from heights equal to twice their vertical as long as they land on their feet).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Talon Starblade
Wanderer

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

This is one I've been trying to figure out for a while... From what I can tell, there has never been an actual listing of jumping rules for the average character, untill you look at skills.

In a lot of the older books, you only find anything counting for jumping once you choose the Gymnastics or Acrobatics skills (base distance 4 feet across/4 feet vertical and 4ft/5ft respetively... plus 2ft/2ft per level on both). In the newer games, this feature has gone missing, even though the skills are still there.

Additionally, Ninjas and Super-spies introduced combat bonuses for jumping attacks.

One of the Rifters over the last year or so, introduced the skill "Track and Field Events," which seemed to reintroduce the long lost jumping distances.

Personally, I believe a person can jump 3ft across/2ft vertical, with an additional foot across/6in vertical per 5pts of Spd, without any specific training.
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Yeah, I'd like to have some clarified rules for Nightbane jumping. I was playing an ancient Nightbane with a SN PS of 43 and I was attempting to jump 10 feet up with about 20 feet to get a running start to snag a helecopter and the GM is like how far do you think you can jump?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Return to “Nightbane®”