Skills not covered in the books...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Skills not covered in the books...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Dezolis wrote:Since I don't own any Palladium books besides the Palladium Fantasy and N&S/MC books, I couldn't say if these skills were ever featured in another book. So here's my ideas, and you guys can let me know if I'm a wacko or a genius. Or somewhere in between.

Leatherworking
Technical, Military (25% +5% per level)
This skill encompasses a knowledge of leatherworked goods, and the processes of creation. A person with this skill knows how to make all manner of leather items including bags, leather clothing and cloaks, and leather armor of all types (soft, hard, cuir-boulli, studded, etc). The skill Skin & Prepare Animal Hides is still necessary in order to acquire good leather (or the character could purchase it from someone else). Knowledge of the skill Sewing grants the character a 5% bonus to Leatherworking.

that's actually not covered yet to my knowlage, good idea

Metalworking
Technical, Military (25% +5% per level)
This skill encompasses a knowledge of metalworked goods and their processes of creation. A person with this skill knows how to make all general types of metal goods, including pots, tools, nails, arrowheads, arms & armor, door frames, and so forth, and can also identify grades and qualities of metal. Created items are of common quality and design (although an NPC Dwarf or Kobold can create superior items, the creation process would take too much time for a PC to be able to do it while maintaining an adventuring career). This skill differs from the skill Field Armorer in that this skill is centered around the use of actual smithing facilities, while the Field Armorer skill is a more "on the fly" skill useful when travelling. Knowledge of the Metalworking skill grants the character a 5% bonus to the Field Armorer skill. Knowledge of the Recognize Weapon Quality skill grants a 5% bonus to the Metalworking skill for the purposes of creating weapons. A person with the Pick Locks skill can also use this skill to create locks.

also not covered, good

Humanoid Anatomy
Science, Medical (20% +5% per level)
This skill encompasses a relatively detailed understanding of the workings of the humanoid body, including the locations of specific organs and bone structures as well as nervous and circulatory systems. A typical medieval individual did not know much about the inner workings of the body - but a person with this skill has studied it. This skill provides a 5% bonus to the skills First Aid, Surgeon/Medical Doctor, and Biology, for the purposes of dealing with humanoids only. In addition, a person with this knowledge who studies an opponent for a full minute may get a critical hit on their next attack against that opponent, provided the attack hits, and their Humanoid Anatomy skill check is successful. If either roll fails, the minute of study is wasted. Only one target may be the focus of this study at a time, and no significant action aside from studying the target may be done at the same time (except for perhaps casual actions, such as light conversation, idle body movements or slow pacing, and so forth).

that's covered by Pathology. also, knowing it does NOT help you get a critical strike. belive me on that one.

Chemistry
Science (20% +5% per level)
This skill encompasses a knowledge of basic chemistry that might be understood in a medieval world. While the character is unlikely to know anything about molecules, valence shells, and other modern chemistry facts, he may still know that certain substances cause a particular effect when mixed together in a specific way. With even basic Chemistry such as this, one could make explosives (but perhaps not gunpowder), chemical poisons, acids and bases, and toxic gases. This skill also includes a basic identification of substances and what they might do, from a medieval perspective (for example, magnesium might be referred to as "firestone" because of the bright light and heat that it makes when ignited). A failure in this skill generally means the components did not react at all...perhaps the chemist was mistaken about what they were. If the die roll comes up under 10, the mixture has reacted in an unexpected way, and probably with unpleasant results. While a somewhat dangerous skill, Chemistry could have it's uses. A person must first have knowledge of Math: Advanced before being capable of learning Chemistry.

Can anyone think of any more skills that could add to the game? While maintaining a medieval theme, of course.

that would be the standard "chestry" skill found in Rifts.

there is also chemistry: analytical that covers atoms and the like

they could only get the basic.

and basic math is all that's required. come on now, you don't need it to know trigonometry or calculs to mix things togeather, and that's all advanced math is in the game
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

chemisty is more split into herbs and alchemy and other skills or fields because formal chamistry is not very advanced in a fantasy setting.

Leatherworking should not be a military skill, nore should metal working. t is nice you have them as "plug ins" to other skills.
how do these skills scale from town trade to military hardware? there is usualy a difference in PB skills between military and civilian, so maybe 2 skills, armourer and smith.

has anyone sugested a library (librarian, record manager)skill. to not only search for but gather together, calate and store information so that it can be accessed and retreived quickly. many researchers/scolars can not keep good track of their info.
Munchkin Cat Minion
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Skills not covered in the books...

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Leatherworking--Yin-Sloth (PF2 convertion in rifter 24)

Metalworking--Yin-Sloth (PF2 convertion in rifter 24)

Humanoid Anatomy--this is a part of surgeon/MD found in the PF2 main book

Chemistry--Yin-Sloth (PF2 convertion in rifter 24) under Holistic Chemistry

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Again some of those skills are in Yin Sloth Jungle 1st edition and
if you get Rifter 24 there are 2nd edition conversions, however
Lore Psychic I find kind of questionable. I mean yeah there are
psychics and everything, but has the "science" of PFRPG developed
to the point that its really distinguished from magic? I just get the
feeling it would just be covered in the Lore Magic section.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Reagren Wright wrote:Again some of those skills are in Yin Sloth Jungle 1st edition and
if you get Rifter 24 there are 2nd edition conversions, however
Lore Psychic I find kind of questionable. I mean yeah there are
psychics and everything, but has the "science" of PFRPG developed
to the point that its really distinguished from magic? I just get the
feeling it would just be covered in the Lore Magic section.

In second edition, psionics and magic are completely different and unrelated things, and the two lore skills appropriately cover entirely different fields of study. Both skills however, are commonly known only to studious scholars and those who actually possess magic or psionic powers. To most folk there wouldn't be much difference.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”