Van Helsing = Nightbane the movie?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sinestus
Adventurer

Van Helsing = Nightbane the movie?

Unread post by sinestus »

right...
spoilers about...

just random observation...

in the van helsing movie, dracula lives in a world on the other side of mirrors...

sound familiar?

wonder if it's just coincidence, or people who'd read the nightbane stuff...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Van Helsing = Nightbane the movie?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

sinestus wrote:right...
spoilers about...

just random observation...

in the van helsing movie, dracula lives in a world on the other side of mirrors...

sound familiar?

wonder if it's just coincidence, or people who'd read the nightbane stuff...

Coincidence.
More than likely, they read "Through The Looking Glass" by Lewis Carrol (sp?).
Which also wasn't inspired by Nightbane.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

mirrors...literature and games are filled with em! just play a scenario or two from CoC and you will stumble into a mirror....AD&D had them...so, that doesnt mean a thing, I guess.

besides that, the movie wasnt too good IMO.

Vid
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It was more like a BTS movie, like The Mummy was a BTS movie.

A Nightbane move would need bane in it. and modern day.
Malraza

White Wolf

Unread post by Malraza »

This movie was completely based off of Whight Wolf's Werewolf: The Apocolipse. They even do some abilites and stuff from the game in the movie( When Hellsing scrapes his claws across the wall and the become sharp. Razor Claw)
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Nightbane the movie would need bane... but wouldn't need to be set in modern day.

However putting Van Hellsing and Nightbane together should be a punishable offence
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
sinestus
Adventurer

Re: White Wolf

Unread post by sinestus »

Malraza wrote:This movie was completely based off of Whight Wolf's Werewolf: The Apocolipse. They even do some abilites and stuff from the game in the movie( When Hellsing scrapes his claws across the wall and the become sharp. Razor Claw)

sad... they said the same about Underworld...
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Some thoughts from The Clown:

Underworld: White Wolf has yet to prove anything beyond passing similarities. The claims that it's ripped off of WoD seem to be false, much like the old "Stargate ripped off Fringeworthy!" urban legends that circulate now and then.

Van Helsing: Godawful movie. I'll say that again: godawful movie. Nothing directly stolen from either Nightbane or World of Darkness, but plenty of elements stolen from other movies (Rocky Horror Picture Show and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are ones I haven't seen anybody else mention). I don't so much mind a movie borrowing elements or inspiration from other work if it's done well, but this movie didn't. It's not as bad as, say, Battlefield Earth, but only because it doesn't have John Travolta as a Jamaican Klingon in Elevator Shoes. I'd give Van Helsing a 4 on the Hoff-o-Meter.

You know, if I were the Grand Master, High Prophet and God CJ I'd be insulted that somebody linked my work to that tripe. :D
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I'm insulted for him.

I could see linking Underworld and Nighbane not because they have the exact same creatures and setting. But, because it has the same feel of Nightbane. Dark gritty struggles under the veil of darkness... 8-) I miss playing Nightbane very much.

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Well, Final Fantasy sucked so... why would they rip off something that had been done before if what had been done before sucked? I've never heard about this story you speak of.

Solomon would say... There is nothing new under the sun. Now quit your *****!

Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Interestingly enough, there's an anime made by Gainax called Nadia: Secret of Blue Water. Watch that, and you WILL wonder if the guys who created Atlantis had any orginality whatsoever. Nadia came first, and Atlantis 's such a bloody frikkin' ripoff.
As for Laputa, although there are some simularities (and it's impossible to be COMPLETELY original), Hayao Miyazaki has a style and originality all his own. :)
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Immitation is the Sincerist form of Flatery... unless you Photocopy my work, then i'm sueing your @$$!

Really, notghing today is "Origonal", but as long as they Keep about a 20-30% diffrnece everybody is happy. White Wolf had a Viable Claim about Underworld, but with any Suite, it is a likely to fail as to pass, depends on the Liberal Judge who's over the Case.

Alot of people say Todays Fantasy borrows heavily from JRR Tolkiens LOTR.... buit he him self borrowed fomr norse mythology, and other older Sourses of Fantasy (Even the Christian Bible).
Underwolrd: Okay movie, alot liek WOD.

Van Helsing: Not so good movie.... Van helsing was a Cross between Wolverine and a Garou, the Gypse Girl was nearly useless..

Like Nightbane, The Way the Werewolves Change could be considred shifting to a Mohphous
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Willow wrote:Although i dont think ive ever come accross a film, book or games about the adventures of soup bubbles in the world of Bathtub . Perhaps that could be palladiums next book. Rifts dimension book: Bathtub :D :-D

Back in the 1980's Williams Electronics (before it was absorbed by Midway)did a coin-op video game where you played a soap bubble. :p
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

trying to get your number of posts up, Willow?? :D

Underworld was quite bad and heavily borrowed from WoD. Blade I and II did too by the way...
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Blade was a bit Like a WoD copy, but He was a Marvel Property. if WW tried to Sue Marvel, they may bother some of there Fan bois and Gurls who still pick up Marvel comics.

Blade was more Established, after helpin Spider man Hunt Morbious for years... and teaming up with Ghoistrider and Jonny Blaze.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Blade was a bit Like a WoD copy, but He was a Marvel Property. if WW tried to Sue Marvel, they may bother some of there Fan bois and Gurls who still pick up Marvel comics.

Blade was more Established, after helpin Spider man Hunt Morbious for years... and teaming up with Ghoistrider and Jonny Blaze.

Especially as Blade was in existence at least a decade before a bright boy ever though of creating a vamp RPG or establishing the wod
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

Angryjack wrote:Technically speaking Blade Existed Before Marvel Aquired him in the 80s - He was among the Black superheroes that were independently published by small publishers.

Blade was acquired by Marvel? I thought he was one of their creations... was rather heavily tied into their Dracula comics.

BTW, as I got those comics in the early 80s, it makes me believe they actually date from the late 70s (the comics I had are in Bordeaux, if not completely lost, so I can't check)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Blade Actually Goes back more then 30 years....

First Apperance in the Toom of Dracula #10 which was in 1973....

That gives nearly 2 decades of Marvels own World of Darkness settings...

Read more on it here:

http://www.toonopedia.com/dracula.htm
NoJack
Explorer

Unread post by NoJack »

I was going to post a link to the penny-arcade comic that has to do with this, but I can't get the page to come up. Long story short, White Wolf is a newcomer to both werewolves and vampires. Their material smacks mostly of Anne-rice.

If anybody was origional it was Vlad the Impaler, or the guy he ripped off.
Dude... It's a tall guy dressed in black, with a weird, glowy weapon thing, and we're a couple of guards in matching shiny armor...
Svartalf
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Blade Actually Goes back more then 30 years....

First Apperance in the Toom of Dracula #10 which was in 1973....

Thanks Colonel, Tomb of Dracula WAS the comic I was thinking of, only I couldn't remember the original title.

Return to “Nightbane®”