Can a T-Man turned vampires still use tattoos?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Can a T-Man turned vampires still use tattoos?

Post by darthauthor »

If a human (a Splugorth Tattooed man; T-man) is turned into a secondary vampire, "Can they still use their magic tattoos?"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Can a T-Man turned vampires still use tattoos?

Post by ShadowLogan »

PF's Land of the Damned2: Eternal Torment (pg143) stat block for Ancient 2ndary Vampires says this about magic "If the vampire knew magic before being reborn into a vampire he retains that knowledge, but those magic abilities are frozen and can NEVER increase in experience or power. Nor can the vampire learn new magic or increase his personal level of P.P.E. points." NOTE: I don't have Rifts WB1 Revised Vampire Kingdoms so I don't know if the magic bit from PF was carried over or what from WB1o was changed), however I found later that Tattoo Magic is (at least one type of) exception to this.

WB21 pg62 "Most T-men can be turning to vampires, despite their magical powers. However, while they will retain their magic tattoos, they lose the ability to use them. The only Tattooed Men who cannot be turned into vampires are the Undead Slayers because they are considered to be supernatural creatures."

There is additional support for WB21's statement given possessing entities (IIRC Vampires qualify as this due to the essence fragment to the VI) cannot activate M-Tatts (use already activated ones yes), there is also the question if the undead qualifies as an eligible race anymore (WB21 pg107 "Any humans who have been altered to the extent that they can be considered supernatural creatures also can not receive magic tattoos.", and altered into a vampire would qualify as supernatural creature, and while the text cited doesn't rule out use of them here it likely also means they cannot use them anymore given racial restrictions in WB2 pg85).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Post by Library Ogre »

I would say that yes, they are capable of using their tattoos BUT

1) They cannot get more.
2) They only have a vampire's PPE... which isn't nothing, but it isn't what they would have had as a T-man.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Post by ShadowLogan »

Library Ogre wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:42 am I would say that yes, they are capable of using their tattoos BUT

1) They cannot get more.
2) They only have a vampire's PPE... which isn't nothing, but it isn't what they would have had as a T-man.
Which is a house rule given that WB21 (pg62) specifically says a Vampire T-Man cannot use their magic tattoos as cited above.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Post by Library Ogre »

ShadowLogan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:52 am
Library Ogre wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:42 am I would say that yes, they are capable of using their tattoos BUT

1) They cannot get more.
Which is a house rule given that WB21 (pg62) specifically says a Vampire T-Man cannot use their magic tattoos as cited above.
....and? I didn't claim it was anything other than my opinion. The Megaverse runs on vibes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”