baseline

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oni no won
Explorer

baseline

Unread post by oni no won »

Out of curiosity, what was the baseline used when statting up weapons, power armor, and mechs? For example, in D&D, humans are the base from which all the other races are compared to when being created.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: baseline

Unread post by Library Ogre »

oni no won wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am Out of curiosity, what was the baseline used when statting up weapons, power armor, and mechs? For example, in D&D, humans are the base from which all the other races are compared to when being created.
I'm pretty sure that they go with a racial base of +4, instead of the standard SWADE base of +2. Is that what you mean?

Otherwise, I'm a big believer in the benchmark... I want a laser pistol, I look at other laser pistols. I was a giant robot, I look at other giant robots.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
oni no won
Explorer

Other than mechanics. THe Deluxe version has a decent rules to creating your own race. It also more or less states that humans are the default from which all other race are compared to when creating a new race (in the book, it gives list of what is equivalent to a free edge and beyond). What I'm looking really for is where is that same kind of base when creating new weapons, armor, and mechs? What weapon is used as a base from which all other weapons derived its stats in comparison to the base weapon. Same with armor and mechs.
Library Ogre

oni no won wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pm Other than mechanics. THe Deluxe version has a decent rules to creating your own race. It also more or less states that humans are the default from which all other race are compared to when creating a new race (in the book, it gives list of what is equivalent to a free edge and beyond). What I'm looking really for is where is that same kind of base when creating new weapons, armor, and mechs? What weapon is used as a base from which all other weapons derived its stats in comparison to the base weapon. Same with armor and mechs.
I don't know if there is one, or, if there was in design, if it has ever been said which it was.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
oni no won
Explorer

Library Ogre wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 am
oni no won wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pm Other than mechanics. THe Deluxe version has a decent rules to creating your own race. It also more or less states that humans are the default from which all other race are compared to when creating a new race (in the book, it gives list of what is equivalent to a free edge and beyond). What I'm looking really for is where is that same kind of base when creating new weapons, armor, and mechs? What weapon is used as a base from which all other weapons derived its stats in comparison to the base weapon. Same with armor and mechs.
I don't know if there is one, or, if there was in design, if it has ever been said which it was.
How do you write up stats for newly created weapons, armor, and mechs?
Library Ogre

oni no won wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 am How do you write up stats for newly created weapons, armor, and mechs?
I benchmark. Take something similar, and see if it needs a new coat of paint (i.e. same stats, new name), or if it needs some tweaking.

So, if I want a Bandito Arms Plasma Ejector, I would look at the standard plasma ejector, the NG-E4. I could say "Yeah, the Bandito Arms version is basically a knock-off; same stats", or I might say "Well, I'm gonna make this a bit cheaper... let's drop the range to 20/40/80, the damage to 3d12+1, but let's increase the shots-per-clip to 15, and the price to 25,000."

Or maybe I say "This guy has a light, fast power armor, kinda like a flying titan, but can't fly. We'll take off the wings, and the weapons that go with them, and reduce the flying to +20/+10 jump."

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Savage Rifts™”