The Spell Fingers of the Wind

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Fingers of the Wind

Unread post by darthauthor »

The spell Fingers of the Wind found in Rifts Ultimate Edition page 202

Costs 5 P.P.E. to use

Range is 90 feet.

I see it basically as telekinesis (minor).

My questions is, "What is the level of control?"

For example, can I use it to take the jail cell key off the hook and carry it to me or drag it across the floor.
Can it be used to turn the knob on a door to open it?
Open a filing cabinet?
Type on a computer keyboard?
Pull the trigger of a handgun in a holster or man's hand ("I tell ya, it just went off! Honest.")?
Will they work behind a glass window?
Can you use them to unlock your car from the inside?
Pull a handgrenade pin?
Move a clock hand forward or back?
Cheat at a dice game by turning one of the dice on it's side so the player loses?
Set off a landmine or trap?
Remove a spider or scorpion off of someone?
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: The Spell Fingers of the Wind

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Well, it can't "grab" anything, only touch, tap, bump or press, so some of those things would be impossible (such as stealing keys). You also cannot "turn" or "pull", so I wouldn't allow you to twist a door knob, open a filing cabinet, etc. It is not "telekinesis (minor)".

I assume you could use it to push a button, but typing on a keyboard might take a while, as each push of a key would be an action. A bit like how I type anyway! :lol:

You could push a (single) die onto a different side, but it would be pretty obvious that something unnatural is going on. I thinking cheating at dice would be almost impossible to achieve, unless everyone else at the table was somehow distracted and looking elsewhere at the time of your cheat. And you had better be very quick at working out exactly which way to push it or you might get a number you didn't want.

Landmine I don't know - if you can push small items up to 10lb, I would suggest that if 10lb of force is enough to detonate a land mine, then yes, you could set it off. But I don't know enough about landmines to answer that.

But, yeah, you could push a scorpion off someone okay.

Does it work behind a glass window? Good question. But the range is 90ft, and it doesn't say the wind is generated from the caster and travels to the object in question, so I reckon, yes, you could do that. My opinion only.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Fingers of the Wind

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. It could be used to bump the keys off the hook IMHO, though it might not be useable to blow it across the floor.

2. Not likely.

3. Probably going to come down to the specifics of the cabinet drawer in question. If you have to manipulate a control to release the drawer no, if it doesn't have a release (like a dresser) it's possible keeping in mind the weight limit. CLOSING said drawers is a yes.

4. I'm leaning more toward no. While FotW is cable of moving 10lbs objects and the keys on said keyboard likely don't take 10lbs of force there is the issue of fine control, you might not be able to manipulate the keys intelligently. Angle of interaction likely also has to be considered.

5. No.

6. Yes.

7. Depends on the lock controls, but I'm thinking no.

8. No.

9. No.

10. Maybe, have you ever had wind/fan blow a die over?

11. Landmine, NO they have expected "weights"/pressures to be exerted and I doubt a wind gust that can move 10lbs is going to set off something expecting 150lbs or more. Traps are too vague; it's going to come down to how much force is needing to set said trap off and parameters of said trap.

12. yes, though if you go around doing this how is anyone supposed to get those nifty Spider/Scorpion powers?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”