Cities, Town, Villages, and Hamlet of ET's Kingdom Wisdoms

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Cities, Town, Villages, and Hamlet of ET's Kingdom Wisdoms

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

So, the Eastern Territories book has the Kingdom of Wisdom controlling 100 miles radius area of silt-rich soil. Yet it gives no details into how many other cities, towns, villages, or Hamlets it controls. Leaves it up to us to decide.

So...Let's begin with the river area. Should we say up top, a couple of towns at the 1st mile marker into the kingdom, going down the old kingdom river? One on each side, I should think. The two Barons of the towns are friends. One on the left is a primary livestock such as sheep and cattle community, while the other is a farming community. They work together when a need is called upon. Examples: plowing is a lot quicker with oxen, harvesting requires extra hands; as does roundup and sheering, clearing land for planting using hogs and sheep, the fertilizer and hay and grain exchanges in the fall, etc.

The two Barons also like to have friendly, if somewhat um...shall we say, "odd", competitions. Use your imagination.

I will do specifics on these two towns later on. I am going out tonight. If anyone wants to add there own, feel free.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Cities, Town, Villages, and Hamlet of ET's Kingdom Wisdo

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My rule of thumb is that smaller towns are only going to be able to effectively control about a 2 hour radius from their walls, as that gives you about a work day between your commute out to your fields. They'll have more influence out to a 6 hour radius, and even less to about 10.

2 hour radius: About 6 miles. You can walk to your fields, work, and go home.
6 hour radius: About 12 miles. You live away from town, but can still visit it as a day trip (walk, shop, church, walk back)
10 hour radius: About 20 miles (shorter range, as your average speed will reduce as you have a longer trip). Going to town is a day trip.

So, assuming a completely even distribution (which you should not), you're looking at about 25 towns and villages in that 100 mile radius, with each controlling about 1200-1300 square miles (a 20 mile radius from the town). I'd be inclined to make it about 30-40, at least; while you CAN manage it at a 10hr/20 mile, lots of people will prefer the 6hr/12 mile radius. And this doesn't account for things like forests.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”