Kicking

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Kicking

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, we know that paladins are experts in mounted and armored combat so that is why they are so good at all of the karate style kicks. But I wanted to get the board's opinion on the jump kick. On page 45 of the main book it says a jump kick works as a critical strike and doubles the damage inflicted, and the damage listed is 6d6. Does that mean that the damage is 3d6 but is doubled to 6d6? That isn't how critical strikes work in other instances.

Or, is it 6d6 damage and that is doubled? Would that also mean that other damage bonuses like PS or H2H:Assassin are doubled as well? What if you ROLL a critical strike? Is it then 12d6, or 6d6x2?

What is the damage for a kick from a supernatural creature? I see the damages for punches on p.17 of the main book, and thath the Supernatural punch damage is added to a weapon attack on p.18. But what about kicks? Non supernatural creatures can do kicks that are more damaging than punches. Can supernatural creatures? Do they never train in H2H Expert or Martial Arts?

-Vek
"Hand to Hand Martial Arts should not be the standard for Paladins."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Kicking

Unread post by kiralon »

As its specific that it is a critical strike that does 6d6 damage that's how much it does when you hit, when you add another crit to it is a little murkier but my guess is the intent would be to do 9d6 damage, not 12d6, but as a crit your other bonuses to damage would be added and doubled as well.

Kick is a weapon, add the punching damage, if they know how to kick, I do :)

Not sure what you mean by hth assassin, but they cant take jump kicks.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Veknironth wrote:Well, we know that paladins are experts in mounted and armored combat so that is why they are so good at all of the karate style kicks. But I wanted to get the board's opinion on the jump kick. On page 45 of the main book it says a jump kick works as a critical strike and doubles the damage inflicted, and the damage listed is 6d6. Does that mean that the damage is 3d6 but is doubled to 6d6? That isn't how critical strikes work in other instances.

Greetings and Salutations. If you look on page 45, under the topic of "Damage", you'll see that the Jump Kick is listed as "3D6x2" for damage. So while the damage under "Jump Kicks" is a bit different, you have some reference for a starting point. Base Damage would be 3D6, and the 6D6 listing is because of the critical/double damage.

Veknironth wrote:Or, is it 6d6 damage and that is doubled? Would that also mean that other damage bonuses like PS or H2H:Assassin are doubled as well? What if you ROLL a critical strike? Is it then 12d6, or 6d6x2?

Palladium generally has the modifiers enhance the base damage. So a critical strike roll would be 9D6 or 3D6x3, at least if it holds true to their normal method.

Veknironth wrote:What is the damage for a kick from a supernatural creature? I see the damages for punches on p.17 of the main book, and thath the Supernatural punch damage is added to a weapon attack on p.18.

Incorrect. Page 18 states: "a supernatural being inflicts either the weapon damage plus P.S. damage bonus or its basic hand to hand damage (see previous table) plus P.S. damage bonus.

So this gives us two (2) options.

1: Weapon damage plus P.S. damage bonus
2: Basic hand to hand damage (see previous table) plus P.S. damage bonus

Both add the "P.S. damage bonus", but that is not the same as the "Supernatural punch damage" you claimed above. Otherwise, that would make option 2 supernatural punch damage PLUS supernatural punch damage, which would be weird (and also may create an endless loop of adding it again to itself).

Veknironth wrote:But what about kicks? Non supernatural creatures can do kicks that are more damaging than punches. Can supernatural creatures? Do they never train in H2H Expert or Martial Arts?

So, from what I've seen, Palladium generally considers Supernatural Kick damage to be the same as Supernatural Punch damage, unless otherwise stated. Not my favorite ruling, but it is a simpler ruling.

Also, Palladium generally considers Supernatural beings with a feeling of superiority and/or natural instincts that will NOT learn mortal hand to hand styles. While I kind of get this concept, I dislike the application as it tends to make Supernatural Beings with weak combat capabilities (such as Critical Ranges weaker than a mortal, and a few other issues).

Veknironth wrote:-Vek
"Hand to Hand Martial Arts should not be the standard for Paladins."

On one hand, I agree with this statement. On the other hand, I have an odd theory about this matter.

There are two classes in the main book with Hand to Hand Martial Arts as their default: The Palladin and Warrior Monk. Both classes are not Practitioners of Magic or Psychics, but both classes also have mystic abilities. Why does this matter? While discussing hand to hand styles with someone else, the topic of how martial arts are often considered more with an Eastern style in mind. In martial arts movies of the 80s (or before) we get things like physics defying Jump Kicks and mystic (chi/ki) abilities that fit in well to a setting such as Ninjas & Superspies. In Palladium Fantasy, when a class learns to channel their inner energy (P.P.E.) for something like a Spirit Strike or Demon Death Blow, they have Martial Arts.

Anyways, just some thoughts and I hope they helped. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

It does crack me up that a kick does the same damage as swinging a 2-handed sword.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

It changes a a bit if you let people do weapon damage if they successfully parry with a weapon.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”