M.D.C. damage question relating to body parts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

swest
D-Bee

M.D.C. damage question relating to body parts

Unread post by swest »

Greetings,

Please point me to the rules (in RUE, preferably) for how Mega Damage is accounted for when M.D. Capacity is divided up between numerous body parts.

To wit: A Character's M.D.C. is distributed thusly:

Head 50 M.D.C.
    Body 120 M.D.C.
    Right Arm 30 M.D.C.
    Left Arm 30 M.D.C.
    Right Leg 50 M.D.C.
    Left Leg 50 M.D.C.
    (total = 330 M.D.C.)

This Character is hit with an M.D.C. weapon and takes 30 M.D.C. damage.

Q: Where is that 30 M.D.C. accounted for in those 6 body parts?

Presumably, the total goes to 300 M.D.C., but what about the individual parts? Assuming there hasn't been some kind of 'called shot', is the damage divided up evenly?

I don't get it.

Thanks,

- s.west
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: M.D.C. damage question relating to body parts

Unread post by jaymz »

Any attacks are ALWAYS hitting the main body unless a called shot to a specific location is made.

So any MDC would always be applied to that location.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

jaymz wrote:Any attacks are ALWAYS hitting the main body unless a called shot to a specific location is made.

Two things:

1) Where do I find that in RUE? (I'm not questioning your answer, I'm questioning my ability to read!), and
    2) So, what happens when the Main Body M.D.C. runs out? The next hit is fatal? (unless it happens to be a called shot to a part with remaining M.D.C.?)

Thanks,

- s.west
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

swest wrote:
jaymz wrote:Any attacks are ALWAYS hitting the main body unless a called shot to a specific location is made.

Two things:

1) Where do I find that in RUE? (I'm not questioning your answer, I'm questioning my ability to read!), and
    2) So, what happens when the Main Body M.D.C. runs out? The next hit is fatal? (unless it happens to be a called shot to a part with remaining M.D.C.?)

Thanks,

- s.west

No worries

1 - should in the combat section of the rules

2 - yup, you die
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Thanks, so much, for taking the time to respond.

On the second page of "Combat Rules" (p.340), there is the following:

M.D.C. Body Armor

Combat and Mega-Damage Capacity (M.D.C.) armor works even easier than S.D.C. combat. There is no Armor Rating to worry about and the attacker either hits or misses, or his opponent parries or dodges the attack.

As always, a roll of 1-4 misses.

A roll of 5 or higher on a D20 is a potential strike. The only way for the defending character to avoid getting hit and taking Mega-Damage (M.D.) is to parry or dodge. For example: Two opponents clad in body armor with 50 M.D.C. each are locked in combat. This means the attacker must roll 5 or higher to strike his opponent. A roll of 5-20 (or higher with combat bonuses) will strike, unless the defender parries or dodges. Deduct damage from the M.D.C. of the body armor (or force field, etc.), reducing the M.D.C. of the armor accordingly. When all the M.D.C. armor is gone (reduced to zero), the armor is so tattered that it no longer provides any protection. After that point, any attacks that are five or higher will strike and do damage to the character's body, unless they are parried or dodged.

Every time the M.D.C. armor or living Mega-Damage creature is struck by a Mega-Damage (M.D.) attack (Vibro-Blade, energy blast, magical energy, magic weapon, Supernatural P.S.) he takes damage.

So, I don't see 'Main Body' here (or anywhere else in the Combat section.) I do see 'all the M.D.C. armor' and 'body armor' referred to.

in other words, I'm still confused.

- s.west
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Q1: A
As jaymz said the default is the strike hits the main body unless a called shot is made. RUE's rules are a mess (compared to 1E RT, Macross2, or Rifts Main Book, IMHO), though I found them on pg362 (RUE) under "Main Body" for Gun Terms section and again the last line/paragraph for the Damage from Missile section. RMB (old Rifts Main Book) had it on page40-1 in the "Called Shots" section. The very old 1st Edition Robotech series (from the 80s and not the 2E prints from the 2000s) presented (Optional IIRC) random hit locations in one of its books (did not apply to missile combat).

Q2. see Page 358 (RUE) section "Surviving Mega-Damage Attacks". I would also add that it might be technically possible to survive w/o this section. The MD is converted to HP/SDC damage (ie 1MD = 100HP/SDC) depending on their specific builds (skill/OCC/race for SDC) and level (more HP) and PE score they might survive. A character can go into Negative HPs equal to their PE score (RUE pg287 right column last paragraph) before they are truly dead (note at 0 HP they collapse normally and will die w/o medical attention) and can still be "saved" via medical attention (and IMHO need of implants to completely recover given we are talking MD combat here).

A Juicer (and to lesser extent Crazy) would be a good example of this due to their high SDC/HP, though it might be tough for most classes/races to come close to 100SDC/HP at Level 1.
CS Dogboy (RUE) starts with
+20 (starting base)
+1d6 (skills base)
+30 (highest for a bread, typically looking at around 10 IINM)
+30 (mutation, highest possible likely lower/non-existent)
+4d6 (base HP, PE+1d6)
+2 (HP average for breed, not all have them)
Total of maximum 112 SDC/HP at Level 1 before you've even selected any other physical skills (no specific breed/mutations/rolls can bring this down) though it requires lucky rolls on the breed/mutation tables.

CS Grunt (RUE, though this is probably a good example of most RUE OCCs) starts with
+10+1d6 (skills base)
+2d6+12 (starting as OCC doesn't list)
+4d6 (base HP, PE+1d6)
Total of maximum 64 SDC/HP at Level 1 before any physical skills selected (none are mandatory).

Physical Skills, if all applicable SDC bonus skills are taken (12 of 18 non HTH in RUE) it provides a total range of 31-142 SDC (and a bonus of +10 to PE, which IMHO also adds to HPs) depending on die rolls that can be added into those above (minus the overlap of starting skills). And most of that is coming from 2 Skills (Boxing 3d6 and Wrestling 4d6, though Physical Labor 2d8 is next biggest contributor).
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

swest wrote:Thanks, so much, for taking the time to respond.

On the second page of "Combat Rules" (p.340), there is the following:

M.D.C. Body Armor

Combat and Mega-Damage Capacity (M.D.C.) armor works even easier than S.D.C. combat. There is no Armor Rating to worry about and the attacker either hits or misses, or his opponent parries or dodges the attack.

As always, a roll of 1-4 misses.

A roll of 5 or higher on a D20 is a potential strike. The only way for the defending character to avoid getting hit and taking Mega-Damage (M.D.) is to parry or dodge. For example: Two opponents clad in body armor with 50 M.D.C. each are locked in combat. This means the attacker must roll 5 or higher to strike his opponent. A roll of 5-20 (or higher with combat bonuses) will strike, unless the defender parries or dodges. Deduct damage from the M.D.C. of the body armor (or force field, etc.), reducing the M.D.C. of the armor accordingly. When all the M.D.C. armor is gone (reduced to zero), the armor is so tattered that it no longer provides any protection. After that point, any attacks that are five or higher will strike and do damage to the character's body, unless they are parried or dodged.

Every time the M.D.C. armor or living Mega-Damage creature is struck by a Mega-Damage (M.D.) attack (Vibro-Blade, energy blast, magical energy, magic weapon, Supernatural P.S.) he takes damage.

So, I don't see 'Main Body' here (or anywhere else in the Combat section.) I do see 'all the M.D.C. armor' and 'body armor' referred to.

in other words, I'm still confused.

- s.west

Rifts is confusing, so don't worry about it!
:ok:

When the passage in question was written for the Original Rifts book, standard body armor didn't have MDC by location, only one number. Heavy Dead Boy had 80 MDC, end of story, end of list. There were no ways to run out of armor MDC for one body part without running out of the total.
They added the MDC by location later, and Palladium is infamous for updating rules in one place, but not changing all the relevant text to match the update.

Also, Kevin Siembieda generally tends to have a kind of easy-breezy attitude toward rules in general, so there are a lot of places where the rules aren't spelled out clearly, and/or conflict with other rules and/or passages. It helps that Rifts has SO many books, of course; it'd be hard to do that many with zero conflicts or issues.

For example, the passage you quote just flat-out states that a 1-4 is a miss, BUT...
-because they didn't specify that they were referring to the modified strike roll, many people thought (and still think) that they're describing an unmodified natural roll, meaning that 1/5 of all attacks just plain miss. They didn't clarify this point until RUE, I believe, in the Combat Terms section in one small point.
-While the 1-4 bit originally applied to firearms and other ranged weapons, it was later changed to 1-8 being a miss for those weapons.

While it's always good to try to get the rules right, the best attitude with Palladium games is to know that you will never get all the rules exactly correct, and you'll make get a lot of stuff wrong all along the way.
Don't sweat it; focus on having fun more than playing By The Book.
You'll pick up more and more rules as you go, via on-the-job training as it were.
And feel free to ask questions here, as you're doing--we have a lot of good people who like to help out.
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Rifts is confusing, so don't worry about it!
-While the 1-4 bit originally applied to firearms and other ranged weapons, it was later changed to 1-8 being a miss for those weapons.

To reinforce the "Rifts is confusing" point, it's actually 1-7 being a miss for ranged weapons. RUE 361 - "All Ranged Attacks: Requires a roll of 8 to strike (including W.P. & Sniping bonuses)." :wink:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

narcissus wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Rifts is confusing, so don't worry about it!

To reinforce the "Rifts is confusing" point, it's actually 1-7 being a miss for ranged weapons. RUE 361 - "All Ranged Attacks: Requires a roll of 8 to strike (including W.P. & Sniping bonuses)." :wink:

Good example!
:lol:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Wait for the "when can you cast a spell in combat?"

\m/
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

jaymz wrote:Wait for the "when can you cast a spell in combat?"

Now you're just being cruel. :lol:

Armor by location is basically just for sniping/called shots and to give PCs something to be clever about.

My default, a successful hit always damages the Main Body of any armor of vehicle, unless otherwise noted. When the main body is depleted, the armor is useless. Even if the arms, legs, and helmet are all fine, the armor no longer functions and provides zero protection.

I suppose an argument could be made for a toon with destroyed armor to stay in the fight, attempting to parry all attacks with her arms, but the first missed parry means instant death by MD to the main body.
This would be a house rule, though, as by RAW the armor is scrap at zero MDC main body.

Return to “Rifts®”