Gods and Rifts Earth

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nuristas
Explorer

Gods and Rifts Earth

Unread post by Nuristas »

Greetings all,

Is there a reason that gods loose MDC on Rifts Earth?
Is it due to a lack of worshippers? If so, what number would be enough to restore them to full power?

While we're at it?
Would said basic number of worshippers also transform mortal or supernatural being or Creature of Magic X into a god?
I presume new gods are made/created/come into existance since some of the examples in Pantheons are demons who became gods?

Thanks for all the response and ideas you might have regarding this subject
Borast
Champion

Re: Gods and Rifts Earth

Unread post by Borast »

To quote the MDC listing in Pantheons of the Megaverse for Tezcatlipoca: "...to start on Rifts Earth and grows as the number of..."

So, yes; it has to do with the lack of worshippers. I guess you could say that the lesser amount is the basic value for the god in a location with few or no worshippers, and the higher number is the maximum when the god's followers meet or exceed a critical threshold.

For mortals to turn into gods...I don't know that Palladium has any such mechanism. The only game I know for sure that does is Basic D&D.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

The Fantasy books Dragons and Gods and Garden of the Gods may have information on this. I doubt they have specifics for how a mortal becomes a god but it probably has enough that you could house rule it.

As for the difference in MDC I believe gods are more powerful in there own deific realm or home realm so Thor is more powerful in Asgard than he is on Earth.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Well in pantheon of the megaverse it do say , mortals can be elevated to demigod and godling stats . so god hood should be attainable .
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Drenched in ambient PPE as Rifts Earth is, it's still not o the same level as the gods' base-dimensions of power, where they're at full strength. Maybe it's because they're built/born of the primordial material of that realm, or because their home universe serves as the focal point/gathering pool of their followers' worship energy(like traveling away from your hime town bank service and trying to find an ATM that takes your bank card(.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nuristas
Explorer

taalismn wrote:Drenched in ambient PPE as Rifts Earth is, it's still not o the same level as the gods' base-dimensions of power, where they're at full strength. Maybe it's because they're built/born of the primordial material of that realm, or because their home universe serves as the focal point/gathering pool of their followers' worship energy(like traveling away from your hime town bank service and trying to find an ATM that takes your bank card(.

Sounds very reasonable that it would work that way.

How do you see the fact then that the deities in the South America book (cat Pantheon) are at full power in their temple?
Is it due to their realms and that location overlapping or some such?
Nuristas
Explorer

Warshield73 wrote:The Fantasy books Dragons and Gods and Garden of the Gods may have information on this. I doubt they have specifics for how a mortal becomes a god but it probably has enough that you could house rule it.

As for the difference in MDC I believe gods are more powerful in there own deific realm or home realm so Thor is more powerful in Asgard than he is on Earth.

Hello Warshield,

Sounds reasonable but why are the cat deities in South America than at full power near their center of Worship in the Temple?
What would the rationale be in that case?
Nuristas
Explorer

Borast wrote:To quote the MDC listing in Pantheons of the Megaverse for Tezcatlipoca: "...to start on Rifts Earth and grows as the number of..."

So, yes; it has to do with the lack of worshippers. I guess you could say that the lesser amount is the basic value for the god in a location with few or no worshippers, and the higher number is the maximum when the god's followers meet or exceed a critical threshold.

For mortals to turn into gods...I don't know that Palladium has any such mechanism. The only game I know for sure that does is Basic D&D.

In Pantheons and Demi-Gods it is mentioned that mortals can be made into demi-gods or godlings. And godlings are the "future" possible gods. So I think a path exists there.
There are also examples in the same book of supernatural creatures (demons) made into gods so again, there should be a path.

There is indeed no clearcut mechanism in Palladium that I have seen except possible: Take being X, combine with Supernatural Intelligence - get godlike being. That seems to be the one constant.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Nuristas wrote:How do you see the fact then that the deities in the South America book (cat Pantheon) are at full power in their temple?

Nuristas wrote:why are the cat deities in South America than at full power near their center of Worship in the Temple?
What would the rationale be in that case?

It does seem like the SA1 cat temples somehow emulate a deific realm on Rifts Earth, kind of like how there's a city elsewhere in SA which emulates the factors of wormwood.

Makes me wonder if there might be something about that particular continent which allows otherdimensional properties to be inherited... does anyone recall any similar examples in other continents?

Another idea which comes to mind is something about "home realms"... maybe the cat gods were all born here which is why they can be stronger, but other gods who are stronger in other dimensions were born in other dimensions?

That's believable to me for Simba and maybe the werejaguar guy...

But regarding Bast that's an interesting Q since she used to be part of the Egypt pantheon.

We know at least one member of the Pantheon of Light and Dark (Thoth) prob didn't originate on Rifts Earth due to his Palladium Fantasy connections... and I wouldn't be surprised if that applied to all of them.

Another consideration would be the power levels of "Hel" from Dyval (she's a Dyval Lord) because she used to be a member of the Northern Gods pantheon (Od/Epim/Loknar/etc)

come to think of it, is there even anyhting in D+G regarding different HP/SDC/MDC levels on Rifts Earth compared to home dimension?

Actually got impression from D+G that some gods' home realms could be HP/SDC settings.

Reading just PF2 you might assume that though DB10/11 make it seem like it's MDC if you go there basically meaning PF knights/archers couldn't do anything at all if they got rifts there unless they had magic gear for MD inflict / MDC protect
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nuristas wrote:[

How do you see the fact then that the deities in the South America book (cat Pantheon) are at full power in their temple?

Yah. And that much if an extension into 'our' universe? I'd rule it that much easier to open up a Rift to whatever pocket dimension the cat pantheon is using for their base of operations. Or, if it's Bast who's running the show, maybe a backdoor to the Egyptian pantheon planes.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Axelmania wrote:We know at least one member of the Pantheon of Light and Dark (Thoth) prob didn't originate on Rifts Earth due to his Palladium Fantasy connections... and I wouldn't be surprised if that applied to all of them.

You mean since he's actually one of the most (if not *the* most) powerful of the Great Old Ones? Because of that, he PREDATES the Palladium Fantasy world.
However, that does not mean he has no connections to Earth. After all, he is one of the 20,000+ or so members of the Pantheon of Ancient Egypt. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Rifts®”