Feeding a psychic vampire

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Feeding a psychic vampire

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

In our current game, one of the characters has a Phantom Wolf from Madhaven as a mount.
They are currently in the three galaxies, and will be spending a fair amount of time travelling in space. How does feeding a creature that consumes PPE work when there isn't anything to kill before absorbing the PPE?
Can his rider simply supply him with the required nourishment? Can it be absorbed from a talisman?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Feeding a psychic vampire

Unread post by Library Ogre »

If it does not need to kill, you might have a situation where the rider... or other passengers... is feeding it PPE. Assuming it feeds somewhat like a psi-stalker, I might suggest something like I did in Houstown. Feed it a bit of blood, let it eat PPE, and then compensate the donor for the injury and the energy.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I would suggest some live animals that it could kill for the PPE and some form of stasis or suspended animation. Magic or tech.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Whiskeyjack wrote:In our current game, one of the characters has a Phantom Wolf from Madhaven as a mount.
They are currently in the three galaxies, and will be spending a fair amount of time travelling in space. How does feeding a creature that consumes PPE work when there isn't anything to kill before absorbing the PPE?
Can his rider simply supply him with the required nourishment? Can it be absorbed from a talisman?

I ran some adventures a while back that took place in the homebrew city of Asterisk (located at a major nexus: *).
There were heavy psi-stalker populations in the area, and the way the locals dealt with it was to have psi-stalker eateries/taverns/bars where you could order various captured creatures off a menu, cut them, and drain their PPE. Fairies were popular for this, because of their small size and such, but you could find pretty much anything with high PPE and/or some kind of justification for why it was okay to turn them into food slaves.
There'd be a deposit, in case the psi-stalker got carried away and killed the food, which they do sometimes.

Also keep in mind that animals have pretty high PPE.
Maybe get a cage of mice and a sack of grain. Then you have your own PPE snack farm.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I ran some adventures a while back that took place in the homebrew city of Asterisk (located at a major nexus: *).
There were heavy psi-stalker populations in the area, and the way the locals dealt with it was to have psi-stalker eateries/taverns/bars where you could order various captured creatures off a menu, cut them, and drain their PPE. Fairies were popular for this, because of their small size and such, but you could find pretty much anything with high PPE and/or some kind of justification for why it was okay to turn them into food slaves.
There'd be a deposit, in case the psi-stalker got carried away and killed the food, which they do sometimes.

I'm totally stealing this idea for my home game next time I run Rifts, KC. That's an excellent name for a city on a nexus.
I'll name a local hero/founder Killer Cyborg as a nod to the inspiration for the town.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Father Goose wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I ran some adventures a while back that took place in the homebrew city of Asterisk (located at a major nexus: *).

I'm totally stealing this idea for my home game next time I run Rifts, KC. That's an excellent name for a city on a nexus.
I'll name a local hero/founder Killer Cyborg as a nod to the inspiration for the town.

:ok:
Awesome!!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

other PPE vampires that come to mind are astral entities from Between the Shadows which could be interesting to have lurking about in Rifts

given how easily PPE recovers by sleep it never really seems like that much of an expense, the Stalker/Stalker dilemmas always seem moreso about their restricted context/means of feeding RPwise
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Thanks everyone.
Should give the player some options for keeping his wolf fed on their journey.

Return to “Rifts®”