A Pair of Characters and Some Thoughts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seartethel
D-Bee
Comment: Disclaimer: I've never gotten to play Rifts, but I've had an interest for several years :P

A Pair of Characters and Some Thoughts

Unread post by Seartethel »

This post contains 2 characters I built recently, along with the ad-hoc point buy stat generation system I used and some thoughts about this game this took a lot of time to type already so I'll save the thoughts for later. I have nothing lined up to do with these characters so I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested in my perspective as a potential newcomer to the system, and I'd like to be able to show what I spent all that time on somewhere. I should also note I referred to RUE for Skill entries and WPs and HtH skills.

Context on where I'm coming from: I've never played Rifts. If you were to check my post history you'd see I'd posted my attempt at a Sohei Warrior Monk (out of the Japan WB) a couple years ago, so I spent time refreshing my memory rather than learning from scratch. I have the most actual experience with Pathfinder 1E, Starfinder, and Shadowrun 5th edition (though as with Rifts I look into a variety of systems and have played a few others). I prefer systems that have as clear of a RAW answer to a given situation as possible, which means I have to be a bit flexible to even engage with Rifts as a system. I'm mostly interested in the more out there stuff Rifts has to offer, not so much the more down to earth classes, in this case Atlantis-related things.

How I Did Chargen: I really have no interest in rolling dice during character creation. I don't want anything about a character's long term mechanical ability to come down to a randomized die roll. Even in a system that is openly unbalanced between OCCs, I'd rather be able to pick my attributes and not have to worry about being screwed over for PPE because I rolled badly one time. Fortunately, since these characters are not for anything specific, I could do whatever I wanted. Here's how I worked things:
Spoiler:
Attribute Point Buy
Point Allotment: Add up the maximum values of all the dice rolled for all 8 attributes for the character (so 24*6=144 for humans). Note that this is just the dice, it does not include any bonuses added to those dice rolls by the RCC or Race in question (so just the max result of 10d6 for an Altaran, not 10d6+142 :lol: ). Then, add the max result of 1 additional die (144+6=150 for humans). If the character has dice of different sizes it rolls for various attributes, use the largest die size present. Then, multiply this result by 2/3 and round up to the nearest whole number (100 for humans, 44 for Altarans). This is the number of points you have to spend on your attributes.

Note: I chose a multiplier of 2/3 because I wanted to be able to produce above average character results. For lower attributes, simply reduce this multiplier or remove the extra die added to the total beforehand, or both.

Spending Attribute Points: Your attribute value is equal to the number of points spent on it plus any bonuses from Race, RCC/OCC/whatever, and Skills. Thus, the points replace the dice normally rolled for attributes.

Minimum Points per Attribute: You must spend at least 1 point on an attribute for each die that would normally be rolled for it (so 3+ points per attr for humans, 1+ for Altarans except for their P.B. and Spd. which require at least 2 points).

Base Maximum Points per Attribute: The base maximum number of points you can spend on a given attribute is Max - N. By this I mean the maximum result of the dice normally rolled for that attribute, minus the number of dice called for, plus 1 (18-3=15 for humans, 5 or 10 for Altarans depending on the attribute).

Exceptional Attributes: Your character can have up to 2 of their attributes be Exceptional. You can spend additional Attribute Points on their Exceptional Attributes. The maximum points spent on an exceptional attribute is Max + DieMax. By this I mean the maximum result of the dice normally rolled for that attribute, plus the maximum result of a single die of the size rolled for that attribute (24 for humans, 12 or 18 for Altarans depending on the attribute).

Note: A group of players could allow only 1, or no Exceptional attributes if they prefer, or require a character to have one or more attributes that is low enough to receive a penalty in order to have Exceptional Attributes. This was not what I was interested in so I did not.

Psionics
Actually I stole this idea from a thread I saw on this forum, thought I don't remember which forum member made the suggestion. If the character in question qualifies to roll for random psionics, you instead choose if they have None, Minor, or Major. Minor psionics cost 1 Secondary Skill choice, while Major psionics cost 2 Related skill choices and 2 Secondary skill choices. I'm not sure how balanced this is but it seems like a reasonable enough cost to me.

HP, SDC, MDC, PPE, ISP
Any time an OCC/RCC, Skill, or other rule gave a character a chunk of any of these that was supposed to be decided by a die roll, I just used the maximum result. This will obviously help out Mages, powerful Psionics, and MDC creatures more than everyone else but it's what I went for here since the game isn't really trying to be balanced anyway.

Other Rolled Attribute Increases
Whenever a Skill (or other source that I'm unaware of) granted an increase to an Attribute that was supposed to be decided by a die roll, I used the average result of the die/dice, rounding up (1d6=4, 2d6=7, 1d4=3, 2d4=5, and so on).

As for the characters, it took me many hours to parse the rules on how exactly things were supposed to go (or failing that how I wanted things to be played) and make my choices. Hopefully there aren't too many mistakes made here :? Also I'm leaving out a bunch of periods from attribute abbreviations and so on in this writeup, as well as the calculations of skill values since that's a lot of extra typing.

Character 1: Mirka the Altaran Warrior Woman (and escaped slave)
Spoiler:
Level 1 Altaran Warrior Woman (RCC, using the revised version from D-Bees of NA)

IQ 11
ME 20
MA 17
PS 28 Standard
PP 31 (exceptional)
PE 28
PB 30 (exceptional)
Spd 44 ft/s

Max HP: 74
Max SDC: 120
Max ISP: 180
Max PPE: 12

Perception: +3

""Social Skills""
Trust/Intimidate 40% (high MA)
Charm/Impress 92% (high PB)

Psionics: Racial
Sex: Female
I hadn't decided on other physical details

RCC Skills
Climbing 50
Paramedic 50
Prowl 37
Swimming 60
Gymnastics
-Sense of Balance 55
-Work Pill Bars/Rings 65
-Back Flip 75
-Climb Rope/Rappel 65
Cook 40 (+10 for game animals)
Identify Plants & Fruit 30
Intelligence 37
Land Navigation 41
Language: Demongogian (Native) 88
Lore: Demons & Monsters 35
Mathematics (Basic) 65
Preserve Food 35
Skin & Prepare Animal Hides 45
Wilderness Survival 40
Athletics (General), Boxing, Hunting, Running no skill value

RCC Related Skills
Language: American (Other) 65
Language: Dragonese/Elven (Other) 65
Disguise 40
Impersonation
-General Type of Person 40
-Specific Individual 26

Secondary Skills
Creative Writing 25
Literacy: Braile (Other) 30

Weapon Proficiencies
Paired Weapons (RCC Combat Bonus? It's unclear. See RUE 327 for rules)
WP Archery (RCC Skill) +1 Strike/Parry, 2 shots/round, can shoot max range +50% without bonuses
WP Blunt (RCC Skill) +1 strike/parry
WP Knife (RCC Skill) +1 parry and strike when thrown
WP Sword (RCC Skill) +1 strike
WP Energy Pistol (RCC Skill) +1 strike
WP Energy Rifle (RCC Skill) no bonus
HtH: Basic (Secondary Skill)

HtH: RCC+Basic (also high PP)
Initiative: +2
Attacks: 8
Strike: +9
Dodge: +13
Parry: +13
Roll w/ Impact: +10
Disarm: +3
Entangle: +0
Pull Punch: +4
Critical Strike: 18-20
SDC Damage Bonus: +15
Attacks: Punch, Karate Punch, Elbow, Kick, Knee, Karate Kick, Karate Leap Kick, Body Flip, Body Block/Tackle, Power Punch/Kick (any but leap kick or block/tackle), Pull Punch

Saves
Psionics (Base): 12 (actually it doesn't say what lvl psionic they count as but minor/major seems a reasonable assumption)
vs Psionics: +5
vs Magic: +8
vs Insanity: +3
vs Horror Factor: +4
vs Poison: +7
vs Coma/Death: +36%

Psionic Powers
Clarivoyance (4)
Empathy (4)
Mind Block (4)
Object Read (6)
Presence Sense (4)
Sense Evil (2)
Sense Magic (3)
Sixth Sense (2)

RCC Abilities
Horror Factor 12

Recover HP and S.D.C. three times faster than a human

Heightened Sense of Smell: Recognize specific odors 90%, recognize a specific person, animal, or plant by scent 70% +1%/level, recognize poisons and toxins 80% +1%/level, track by scent 80% (-20% in cities or 'Burbs).

Heightened Sense of Touch: Recognize items by feel 66% +2%/level.

Radar Sense: Know/sense the location of people, objects, movement, and the generals shapes of people, animals, and objects in the surrounding environment. Interpret shapes 85% and estimate distances 95%. Estimate direction, estimate speed, and estimate exact location 75% +1%/level. Range: 1200 ft.

In Storms of All Kinds (including Ley Line Storms): reduce all radar, hearing, abilities, and combat bonuses by half.

Blind: Cannot ever learn to read or write the wtitten word.

Reputation as a Minion of Splugorth: many people fear and never trust you, some will believe the worst no matter what and seek your destruction.

Magic: Can use magic weapons and devices as well as Splugoth parasites and symbiotes.

Equipment
I only really wrote down the main combat oriented stuff, personal items and consumables would be to be determined later. I took a few liberties with flexing the exact allotment the RCC made, sort of.
Dagger x2
Vibro Knife x2
Laser Wrist Blaster x2
Plasma Rifle (the one in WB2 Atlantis)

Character 2: [Name Pending :) ] the True Atlantean Tattooed Voyager
Spoiler:
Level 1 True Atlantean Tattooed Voyager (Race + OCC)

IQ 20
ME 30 (exceptional)
MA 18
PS 26 Supernatural (exceptional)
PP 13
PE 22 Supernatural
PB 12
Spd 24 ft/s

Max MDC: 277
This assumes that the base True Atlantean HP/SDC turn into MDC and the "base MDC" of the Tattooed Voyager adds on to that, rather than replacing it
Max ISP: 54
Max PPE: 218

Perception: +0 (+2 for dimensional anomalies, Rifts, or dimensional traven; +1 for Vampires/Undead (their presence/servants/victims/etc.))

""Social Skills""
Trust/Intimidate 50% (high MA)

Psionics: Major
Sex: Female
I hadn't decided on other physical details, and I haven't even picked a clan or read into what a clan exactly entails :lol:

OCC Skills
Astronomy & Navigation 56
Land Navigation 52
Language: Dragonese/Elf 98
Language: American 98
Language: Greek 98
Literacy: Dragonese/Elf 98
Literacy: American 98
Literacy: Greek 98
Language: Demongogian (Other) 71
Literacy: Demongogian (Other) 56
Lore: D-Bees 51
Lore: Demons and Monsters 51
Lore: Dimensions 41
Lore: Magic
-General Knowledge (including Identification) 46
-Recognize Symbols/Runes/Circles 36
-Recognize Enchantment 31
Mathematics (Basic) 81
Meditation 86 assuming all True Atlanteans get this regardless of OCC, the book just says "most"
Xenology 46

OCC Related Skills
Climbing 46
Literacy: Braile (Other) 46
Disguise 41

Secondary Skills
Athletics (General) no skill value

Weapon Proficiencies
WP Staff (OCC Skill) +1 strike
WP Sword (OCC Skill) +1 strike
WP Energy Pistol (RCC Skill) +1 strike
HtH: Expert

HtH: Expert+SupernaturalPS
Initiative: +0
Attacks: 4
Strike: +0
Dodge: +3
Parry: +1
Roll w/ Impact: +4
Disarm: +0
Entangle: +0
Pull Punch: +2
Critical Strike: 20
Attacks: Punch (3d6MD), Elbow (3d8MD), Kick (3d8+5MD), Knee (3d7MD), Body Flip (3d6MD), Body Block/Tackle (3d6MD), Power Punch/Kick (any but leap kick or block/tackle), Pull Punch
I decided to use the "Optional Damage Table for Supernatural Martial Artists" table from Rifter #3 to translate all attack damage from SDC to MDC

Saves
Psionics (Base): 12
vs Psionics: +8
vs Magic: +7
vs Insanity: +13
vs Horror Factor: +6
vs Poison: +6
vs Coma/Death: +14%

Magic Tattoos
MoH: Flaming Sword (10) left wrist
MoH: Heart Pierced by a Wooden Stake (15) right wrist
Short Sword (2) outer right lower leg
Long Staff (2) inner right lower leg
Flaming Flamberge Dripping with Blood Covered in Electrical Arcs with Blood Splatter Around (for 8d6MD+2d6MD(electricity), crit on 18-20) (65) right bicep
Minor Monster: Eye Killer (CB1 132) (50) outer left forearm
Red Lightning Bolt (40) left shoulder
Rose Encircling a Heart (50) front neck
Open Rift with a Pyramid Inside (50 +1d4PE) inner right forearm
Eye of Knowledge Within a Rift (25 +1PE) inner right forearm
Two Pyramids Connected by a Rift (100 OR 50 +4PE) inner right forearm
Rift on a Stone Wall (40 +1PE) inner left forearm
Heart Within a Rift (12) inner left forearm

Psionic Powers
I here assumed you had to choose to have Meditation as a power, if that's not the ruling the GM goes with I get 1 more power
Empathy (4)
Intuitive Combat (10)
Mask ISP and Psionics (7)
Mask PPE (4)
Read Dimensional Portal (6)
See Aura (6)
See the Invisible (4)
Meditation (0)

RCC Abilities (R): Race Ability; (O): OCC Ability
Horror Factor/Awe Factor: 12, monsters fear all Atlanteans and humans tend to be awestruck when they realize they stand with or against a True Atlantean (R)

Healing Abilities: Recover 2d6+10 M.D.C./24 hrs of normal rest and recovery, or 1d6 M.D.C./hr meditation at a ley line or nexis point (more at a Healing Pyramid). (R)

Ley Line Phasing: As the Ley Line Walker ability (RUE 115), except it always takes 1 round (15s) and cannot be used during combat. (R)

Impervious to Shape-Changing/Metamorphosis: Cannot be physically transformed by any means, helpful or harmful, magic or supernatural, including bio-wizardry. Can still be tortured in Bio-Wizard Chambers but are not transformed (but can be disfigured). Healing magic, Restoration, and Resurrection are not inhibited. (R)

Recognize Vampires by Appearance: 10%/lvl, +10% for Secondary Vampires, +30% for Wild Vampires, -30% for Master Vampires if not openly flaunting their power. (R)

Sense the Presence of Vampires and Vampire Intelligences: Sense presence of vampires and Vampire Intelligences within 1000 ft but cannot pinpoint exact location. (R)

Increased P.P.E. Recovery: 10/hr rest, 15/hr meditation, 20/hr meditation on a ley line or at a stone pyramid. (R/O)

Operate Dimensional Pyramids*: Opperate Stone Pyramids for healing, communications, teleportation, and dimensional teleportation 84% +2%/lvl. This is not exact knowledge of how Stone Magic works or how Stone Pyramids are built. (R)

Sense Ley Lines, Ley Lines Nexus, and Rifts: Sense presence of ley lines within 10 mi (+5 mi/lvl), nexus points within 15 mi (+5 mi/lvl), and open/active Rifts within 40 mi (+20 mi/lvl). Can tell when there is more than one ley line or nexus within range. Cannot pinpoint exact location, but know general direction and whether it's close or far, weak or powerful, and open or closed (for Rifts). (R/O)

While on a ley line: Sense Rifts on any connecting ley lines regardless of distance and know distance and whether large or small. Sense dimentional disturbances such as teleports or dimentional anomalies within 10 mi/lvl. (R)

Lore: Dimensions Skill Modifiers: Exremely alien gives -15% to -50%, a place visited 3+ times gives +10% (R)

Equipment
I only really wrote down the main combat oriented stuff, most personal items and consumables would be to be determined later. I dropped a lot of the SDC weapons stuff, I don't know why a Supernatural PS OCC would give SDC weapons they'll either do nothing or just snap if you're using the optional breakage rules right?.
Silver Plated Longsword
Walking Staff
NG Heavy Duty Ion Blaster (MG-57) + 4 E-clips
TW Firebolt Pistol (FoM 113) +4 E-clips
18k credits
34k credits worth of gems and artifacts
flare x4
smoke grenade x4
silver cross
wood cross
wooden stake x12
mallet
computer (cell-phone sized)
language translator

Wireframe Backstory Notes: I don't have anything really definitive, I was mostly just interested in building the characters mechanically, and I'm pretty tired of typing at this point, but the thought is this:
Mirka is an especially beautiful Altaran (by traditional human standards I guess? whatever PB means). The extra attention this garnered her in addition to the usual slave driving was unbearable, and drove her to trying to escape her masters even though she knew it meant likely death. As luck would have it, as she made a run for it she ran into our True Atlantean character here, who ended up helping her escape Atlantis. Mirka is an ammeter pulp romance writer, though she writes in Braile since she's blind and has done her best to hide her hobby from everyone she can. I find it especially funny that the art for the Tattooed Voyager OCC pictures them standing over an unconscious Altaran Warrior Woman. They both have some skills and abilities to hopefully try and blend in with whatever society they visit (probably NA since that's the default setting for Rifts and I want to try it :) ).

Like I noted at the top, I have plenty of thought about this system and setting from this process and all the lurking I did on this forum recently, but this typing took a lot of time already so I don't think I can type any of that out right now. Thanks to anyone who looked through all this and replied :lol:

Return to “Rifts®”