TK Forcefield

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

TK Forcefield

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I know this will come up soon so I'm soliciting opinions first. When a mind mage puts up a TK Forcefield, can someone cast a cloud of slumber inside of it? If so, and the Mind Mage saves, will the forcefield remain? Additionally, can the Mind Mage use regular TK through the forcefield?

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: TK Forcefield

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If we stepped over to the setting the Rifts game occupies the rule for tech force fields is magic can't be cast through them. Just like :roll: just like how magic can't be cast through MDC structures.

However, there is no such rule in the PF game. So yes, magic can be cast through a TK FF in the PF2 game.

From what I understand, the thing about psionics is that they eat up the char's attention. They have to be awake to the powers to work. (I've had a GM have a ruling that for a Psi to maintain a TK FF they have to have it LoS.)

I've heard somewhere (don't know where except I viewed it on a monitor) that a psi can only have one power active at one time.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

As there isn't much interaction between magic and psionics i'd also say yes, and also yes to tk through the forcefield. I do like the 1 psionic power at a time idea but i don't remember seeing it anywhere myself.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I know this will come up soon so I'm soliciting opinions first. When a mind mage puts up a TK Forcefield, can someone cast a cloud of slumber inside of it? If so, and the Mind Mage saves, will the forcefield remain? Additionally, can the Mind Mage use regular TK through the forcefield?

Per the description the TKFF remains in place until one of 3 things happen: Depletion of SDC/MDC, duration elapses, psychic rendered unconscious. That should handle anything about failed saves from the likes of CoS.

Some guidance might exist from the Force-Power Circle (PF2E pg151) that allows psychic attacks (which TK is from the MM) to penetrate that FF, so TK version could have similar limitations. Expanding outside of PF2E, Rifts Ultimate Edition pg183 has a more expansive description of the TKFF power: magic clouds can not get into the area (some wiggle room in this though) and Psychic powers like TK would penetrate though something like Ectoplasm would not.

This might also be worth a review for TKFF questions (it is over 9years old) as it gets into a potentially deadly combo, but might have some relevance:
https://www.palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=77442

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I've heard somewhere (don't know where except I viewed it on a monitor) that a psi can only have one power active at one time.

The only place I've seen this limitation is in Animal Mutant Psychic Powers (HU 2E pg170, TMNT TDT pg16, TMNT-r p26, and likely other places), though the text implies this is unique to Mutants who purchase Animal Psychic Powers and regular psychic powers are not subject to this limitation. This view is somewhat supported by the description for Mind Block "When intentionally closed to supernatural or psychic forces, the character cannot sense anything, cannot use psychic abilities, nor be influenced by others." (implication being they could use other powers at the same time normally w/o MB in place) and Astral Projection (though here some limits exist) and TK:FF itself (can create as many as ISP allows, though this is a manifestation of the same ability).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Cloud of Slumber does not require Line of Sight or Line of Effect as written. Energy Bolt, for comparison, requires both... you have to see to aim it, and you have to be able to send a line from the wizard to the target.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If we stepped over to the setting the Rifts game occupies the rule for tech force fields is magic can't be cast through them.
Just like :roll: just like how magic can't be cast through MDC structures.

The volume of space inside MDC fields/objects is very clearly some form of small No Mana zone ported in from GURPS.

MDC objects are like... pocket dimensional fragments of the Splicers world where magic just has problems!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If we stepped over to the setting the Rifts game occupies the rule for tech force fields is magic can't be cast through them.
Just like :roll: just like how magic can't be cast through MDC structures.

The volume of space inside MDC fields/objects is very clearly some form of small No Mana zone ported in from GURPS.

MDC objects are like... pocket dimensional fragments of the Splicers world where magic just has problems!

I've always read it as a "The Collation States 'Has to Win' so we are making up reasons why the Magic nations can't defend themselves successfully" rule. Rather than rationalizing into anything else just because it is there.

And nope, not a no mana zone. Cause people can still cast magic inside said Rif structures and fields. And straying into the Rifts game rules rather than the PF game rules.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: nope, not a no mana zone. Cause people can still cast magic inside said Rif structures and fields.

Sorry I should clarify, by "inside the walls" I just mean literally the volume of the walls themselves and not the non-wall volume encircled by said walls.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”